Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'm figuring out a party to take on Ahriman tomorrow, and I was wondering: is there a source of magic wind damage in the game? Specifically, a BSB to RW? I can think of a few physical ones, but I'd rather not RW Butt's OSB unless I have to, given Ahriman's giant pile of HP necessitating hone extending.

Aside from Krille's unique which does strong wind damage and always inflicts delay cloud has a unique in Climhazzard and his overstrike Finishing Touch.

Those are the only wind-based ones I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it's not gonna solve your problems but Gust is wind magic

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Prav posted:

it's not gonna solve your problems but Gust is wind magic

Not everyone can use Ninja abilities though, you'd probably be better off using aeora strike tornado stike or wind slash.

*edit*

Disregard, I forgot that the focus was magic and not physical abilities.

Munoma fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 26, 2016

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
(edit) Oops, I should read what I'm quoting. :downs:

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Does Ahriman resist earth?

If not, just melt with Maria BSB after using meltdown to hit wind and build gauge.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

The main problem with Wind Magic is that signs point to the fact we probably are not going to see the Aero line until DeNA bothers to implement Blue Magic into the game...

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Did one more OK1 pull in hopes of the OK Gauntlets... 4/11, dupe Onion Sword, Lust Dagger, White Robes, and off-banner Icebrand IX.

That was a bit of a waste, but at least my Cid's Mission team is pretty much set to crush whatever FF3 content. :shrug:

Just realized I now have every item on the banner EXCEPT the stupid gauntlets. Guess it was not meant to be. :v:

Attestant fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 26, 2016

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
That Necrophobe fight was fun as heck. It was really cool being able to build up SB charges in relative safety then jump into the fire and flip all the barriers, launch your soul breaks then try to switch them all off again. I really like these gimmick nightmare fights with the exception of Kaiser Dragon (because he never switched to lightning or water for like 5 fights in a row) and Guardian because who the gently caress can reliably time thier ATB with the boss like that?

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

kalensc posted:

How is Faris optimally kitted out with her BSB? Since it doesn't stack with Full Break or Breakdowns do people use it more as a supplementary source of mitigation? Something like Ramza as main support and Faris as a thief, and then they swap to DPS and support when a BSB is ready?

I have her with Mug Bloodlust, Armor Breakdown, and Dr. Mog RM with a full physical team. Open with Mug Bloodlust > Armor Breakdown > BSB. I do that sequence because it gives the most damage on the BSB hits and also synchs with my other character's openers. Delaying the BSB full breakdown is fine because my other characters are getting up Wall, Protect, and Shell.

Mug Bloodlust is especially good because it's both a debuff AND a buff, so the follow-ups do more damage. Also, the buff is ATK/DEF so it stacks with Shout and Burst Mode. Faris gets so much ATK buff that she can equip my lower quality weapons and still hit ATK softcap. Especially nice when "lower quality" means 5* synergy or 6* non-synergy.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the conditions on nightmare neo bahamut are so loving bad

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Can't get Mako Might to drop :argh:

I've unlocked Cloud's Soldier Counter RM, used Cloud's MC2. I'm just being unlucky at this point, right?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Pulled on the black friday banner, got Vanille's SSB. Not the most exciting but I have 2 attack SSBs so a white mage one is welcome.

Christ though I have every one of Vanille's SBs. I didn't intend that at all but the game just keeps giving me them.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I just started playing, my first two pulls got me a Barrett Unique SB and Auron BSB. I also just snagged a Hero Soul from the FFIV event dungeon.

I know nothing about team comp yet, so should I use the soul to grab one of those two, or should I save it for someone better?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Got Thief's Knife (VI), Stardust Rod (VI) and Wizer Rod (VII) from the Black Friday gacha.

Any of these worthwhile at all?

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

So I spent the entire day's stamina yesterday on the 90-stam Exp dungeon and didn't get a single Onion Mote. Do you need to have OK with you for them to drop? Am I doing something wrong? I don't want to continue wasting stamina doing it wrong.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Got Thief's Knife (VI), Stardust Rod (VI) and Wizer Rod (VII) from the Black Friday gacha.

Any of these worthwhile at all?

I have all three of those.

I use Thief's Knife regularly, especially on Holy-weak bosses because I have other Holy SB's. The Fire Imperil interferes with my Beatrix BSB which causes Holy Imperil, which is kind of annoying but whatever. If you bring Mug Bloodlust and then do his Mug Command, he'll do crazy damage even with no synergy, and it gimps any physical-focused boss.

Stardust Rod is my go-to Mage BSB but I don't do Mage teams often, so I don't feel I can talk about it much to do it justice. It FEELS to me like it's showing its age but again, I don't really know.

Aerith's is weird - is it just me or is the damage on it pure dogshit? On U++'s it does like 500 damage per hit, feels like a pure waste. Healing is still the priority of it though so you get a good burst of HP and then command 2 is a mini-medica which you can spam to keep everyone topped off during a final phase of an Ultimate. That damage though... I got Eiko's BSB from the Black Friday and I'm probably going to change to her going forward - seems like her heal and command 2 are comparable, and the command 1 doesn't have the useless +MND like Aerith's does, and is replaced by a Phys Blink on the character healed, which can be super useful.

bilperkins2 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 26, 2016

hngkong
Nov 19, 2003

Wilekat posted:

Can't get Mako Might to drop :argh:

I've unlocked Cloud's Soldier Counter RM, used Cloud's MC2. I'm just being unlucky at this point, right?

You need to go to a specific stage with Cloud to unlock it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

If that's all you have from the banner I would try again. Hell, I'm debating going for a third and final pull but I think I would die of salt poisoning if all I got was a second Heroic Shield or third Lust Dagger, and quite frankly I don't think anything short of the Gauntlets would make it worthwhile. But the more I think about it the more I want 'em...
I also have the Elder Staff and Desch's Sword. Maybe I should pull on banner 2 instead.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

hngkong posted:

You need to go to a specific stage with Cloud to unlock it.

To get his RM2 (Soldier Counter), I had to do the Cargo Ship on Elite, but all I can see for Mako Might is that RM2 be unlocked and then it's just a chance with him in party. Am I meant to be somewhere special for this one too?

hngkong
Nov 19, 2003

Wilekat posted:

To get his RM2 (Soldier Counter), I had to do the Cargo Ship on Elite, but all I can see for Mako Might is that RM2 be unlocked and then it's just a chance with him in party. Am I meant to be somewhere special for this one too?

poo poo, I guess I mixed them up, nevermind me.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz

Wilekat posted:

If you have the RM2 unlocked then yeah, it's just random and can take forever. I had a team of 5 with random drop RM's needed and used them to do the sub-90 difficulty Events for over a month before any of them dropped.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

bilperkins2 posted:

Aerith's is weird - is it just me or is the damage on it pure dogshit? On U++'s it does like 500 damage per hit, feels like a pure waste.

It's White Magic so it uses Aerith's MND. Not a lot of MND buffs.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

bilperkins2 posted:

So I spent the entire day's stamina yesterday on the 90-stam Exp dungeon and didn't get a single Onion Mote. Do you need to have OK with you for them to drop? Am I doing something wrong? I don't want to continue wasting stamina doing it wrong.

I just got a mote drop soloing that dungeon with Luneth, I think you were just unlucky.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

yo ucan do solo raid bosses in multiplayer now for 0 stam and it will drop and unlock missing rms if you meet the criterion to unlock them otherwise

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz

Dr Pepper posted:

It's White Magic so it uses Aerith's MND. Not a lot of MND buffs.

Even so, though, I have good synergy overall and she typically has 450-500 MND from equipment and it still does garbage damage. My Mage SB's with comparable MAG stat do way more damage. I don't know if multipliers between MAG-based and MND-based are comparable. (checks Enlir's sheet) It's 9,50 versus something like Maelstrom Bolt from Ashe (which I also have) at 14,00, so I guess that answers my question if the multipliers are comparable. I believe they're not between ATK and MAG though, so not 100% sure.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Zyla posted:

yo ucan do solo raid bosses in multiplayer now for 0 stam and it will drop and unlock missing rms if you meet the criterion to unlock them otherwise

Yeah, I've noticed this. Pulled Luneth's RM2 and RM3 from it so far, so I'm just going to spam this in stamina downtime and hope for the best. Glad I'm not missing anything and it's just atrocious RNG

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I'm having a tough time deciding if I should roll for the OK gloves or save my mithril for the XIV banner and see about getting a wall for my team. Running a shout comp atm, is it really -that- great?

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

Silvergun1000 posted:

I'm having a tough time deciding if I should roll for the OK gloves or save my mithril for the XIV banner and see about getting a wall for my team. Running a shout comp atm, is it really -that- great?

Do you have shout natively?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I just started playing, my first two pulls got me a Barrett Unique SB and Auron BSB. I also just snagged a Hero Soul from the FFIV event dungeon.

I know nothing about team comp yet, so should I use the soul to grab one of those two, or should I save it for someone better?

Get Auron right away. The rule of thumb for beginners is to grab any character you have an SB for since right now you have no abilities and SBs will do most of the heavy lifting for you. Pulling Auron's BSB puts him leagues ahead of any competitor. Auron himself is pretty solid, too, he's a decent physical beatstick and he has access to what is called the "Tauntaliate" combo thanks to his Samurai 5/Knight 3 skillset, where the character uses the Draw Fire and Retaliate abilities to draw all single target Physical attacks to himself, force them to miss and counter with a normal attack. You can also trigger counterattacks by using your own characters to attack him and he will attack the enemy. Better yet, you only need the Draw Fire half of that combo since the BSB comes with Retaliate on an AoE attack command. Chances are you'll be using Auron for a few months and maybe even beyond that. Barret... well, again, rule of thumb dictates that whoever you have an SB for is best but he probably won't last you terribly long. Especially if the SB you have isn't Ungarmax, which is his only one I'd dub decent. Still, he's a character with an SB so he's the best for you right now, next to Auron.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Aisar posted:

Do you have shout natively?

I do! Got some nice OSBs and BSBs too so I'm not thrilled with the idea of replacing an attacker.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Had another go at Barbariccia+++.

Went much better. Mastered it, even :toot:

Took a few reloads to get it online (I was really hoping to have Mako Might for this), but once I got it up I was home free. I only used jump twice to cut the magic down until I had all my defenses up, but once Wall, Shellga and Garnets Hastega SSB with the Resist buff were all up I was in absolutely no danger of dying outside the slim chance I ran out of Curaga/Cura hones before she died.

For reference I went with Hope BSB, Luneth BSB, Aerith Medica SSB, Garnet SSB, Faris BSB with Wall RW. Once Luneth was rolling stuns, Hope was spamming holy nukes and Faris was rolling breakdowns I was set. Boy did it take a few tries for her to stop randomly blowing me up before I got set up, though.

Excited for going forward now -- I'm in the position of picking up the super useful rewards for events now (minus the MC3 crystals), so it's mostly just progression now for hones and levels. Hooray!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

If that's all you have from the banner I would try again. Hell, I'm debating going for a third and final pull but I think I would die of salt poisoning if all I got was a second Heroic Shield or third Lust Dagger, and quite frankly I don't think anything short of the Gauntlets would make it worthwhile. But the more I think about it the more I want 'em...

I pulled twice hoping for either OK relic since without them he looks fine but not good enough to use in most teams since it'd mean replacing a solid or top-tier character who actually has SB/SSB relics they've mastered (now including Luneth). I've long since had shout/sg/ss2 so I don't need OK's stuff but it'd have been nice. Or a healer BSB since my best is probably still Hymn of the faith since heavy Regen on a party of 6-7k+ HP characters can easily make up for it only healing around 2-2.5k without good synergy gear.

Wilekat posted:

Just run the first stage of mist cave repeatedly.

Or multiplayer battles solo but that'll take longer even though it costs no stamina.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Nice, four XP+ RMs went off at once. I hope to get a five eventually. I like this dungeon.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I lucked into OK burst and I'm seriously eyeing banner 2 because Refia burst is incredible and I'd really love OK's staff because it's a fantastic SSB in certain situations, but I'm terrified of all the Desch-based land mines on the banner.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Anyone else desperately out of MIOs? I was able to r3 the new shooter abilities, but now I'm out after r2'ing Lightning Dive and Gaia's Cross. :smith:

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog

Kanos posted:

I lucked into OK burst and I'm seriously eyeing banner 2 because Refia burst is incredible and I'd really love OK's staff because it's a fantastic SSB in certain situations, but I'm terrified of all the Desch-based land mines on the banner.

I dunno, Imperil Lightning and self mag boost and 18x damage seems pretty good. And I mean, Desch has solid stats and is a Black Mage with a lot of weird utility uses.

... the unique, well... it's not as good of an banner as Onion 1, that's for sure, but hey, En-element is never completely bad?

On the somewhat related subject of that banner; I still wonder why Gaia's Vengeance is non-elemental, though.

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 26, 2016

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ETB posted:

Anyone else desperately out of MIOs? I was able to r3 the new shooter abilities, but now I'm out after r2'ing Lightning Dive and Gaia's Cross. :smith:

Farm them along with black crystals from the FF8 ult next week. Then you too can be a hollow shell of a human being with Meltdown rank 2 to show for it, just like me.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
I'm a bit disappointed, I did the black Friday draw and all I received was Betelgeuse for Balthier and Lightbringer for Maria.

Welp at least I have two FF VI bursts now, my first being Blood Of the Espers.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Munoma posted:

I'm a bit disappointed, I did the black Friday draw and all I received was Betelgeuse for Balthier and Lightbringer for Maria.

Yeah, it sure is disappointing to get literally one of the best BSB's in the game to date.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Used my last 50 mythril to pull one last time on OK1. Got a third Ingus's shield and Gunfire, so I at least have one FF3 weapon now, and Luneth is my only lvl 99 dude (and I've always liked using him anyway) so I am not too dissapointed. Still, 200 mythril spent for 3 Ingus Shields, Cloud BSB, Luneth BSB, Arcs non-medica SSB, and a generic FF7 bangle. Hopefully my 100 gems end up good until FFXIV, because I need to build up my mythril for a bit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Munoma posted:

You pulled Celes' Lightbringer and you're disappointed?

• Locked thread