Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the loving ride never ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Still over a month left on this crazy ride of a year. Maybe we'll get an alien invasion!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

That's a pretty clickbait tweet:

quote:

But, in a post on Medium, Marc Elias, the campaign's counsel, said the campaign's own investigation has not uncovered any evidence of hacking of voting systems.

In the campaign's most detailed comments to date on the recount, Elias wrote that while the campaign was not going to contest the results itself, it has decided now to take part in the effort to "ensure that it is fair to all sides."

The campaign has no evidence of hacks and isn't contesting the results but will send lawyers to make sure Stein doesn't gently caress this up and make things worse.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I spent the better part of thirty minutes trying to explains to my dad and grandma that black people aren't treated equally and no one in this family is black and therefore we can't relate in the slightest to what the go through so maybe try listening to them when they say poo poo is hosed. But nope, this is America everyone deserves what they get.

I hope we all die in nuclear hellfire

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

Still over a month left on this crazy ride of a year. Maybe we'll get an alien invasion!

Humans are proof that higher intelligence is a evolutionary mistake ultimately leading to extinction so that's unlikely

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Rated PG-34 posted:

Humans are proof that higher intelligence is a evolutionary mistake ultimately leading to extinction so that's unlikely

Unlikely is 2016 explained in one word.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Trabisnikof posted:

That's a pretty clickbait tweet:

The campaign has no evidence of hacks and isn't contesting the results but will send lawyers to make sure Stein doesn't gently caress this up and make things worse.

So to stop one team of giant gently caress-ups, they're sending a team of equally incompetent gently caress-ups, great.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Thaddius the Large posted:

So to stop one team of giant gently caress-ups, they're sending a team of equally incompetent gently caress-ups, great.

The best gently caress ups money can buy

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
FYI Betsy DeVos and the rest of the DeVos clan are arch-villain level evil motherfuckers.

quote:

Betsy, who is 56, is the political junkie in the relationship. She got her start in politics as a "scatter-blitzer" for Gerald Ford's 1976 presidential campaign, which bused eager young volunteers to various cities so they could blanket them with campaign flyers. In the '80s and '90s, Betsy climbed the party ranks to become a Republican National Committeewoman, chair numerous US House and Senate campaigns in Michigan, lead statewide party fundraising, and serve two terms as chair of the Michigan Republican Party. In 2003, she returned at the request of the Bush White House to dig the party out of $1.2 million in debt. A major proponent of education reform, Betsy serves on the boards of the American Federation for Children, a leading advocate of school vouchers, and Jeb Bush's Foundation for Excellence in Education, which supports online schools.

quote:

DeVos and his allies had long since started working toward that goal. Their Michigan Freedom Fund is now a conglomerate of political vehicles, including a charitable foundation, a 501(c)(4) advocacy group, and a 527 political committee. "We're not the Chamber of Commerce; we're not the Republican Party," he says. The groups, McNeilly notes, will steer clear of social issues like abortion and gay rights, and instead promote a "freedom agenda" of lowering taxes, slashing regulations, and privatizing public education. The fund will recruit and groom candidates and campaign to send those politicians to Lansing.

They want to get rid of all public education and collective bargaining. All so Republicans can win forever and they don't have to pay taxes. Republicans are scum.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

Oh my god it's not happening

Bill Kristol tweet in 5... 4...

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Hm, nothing on that, but we have this stupid tweet:

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/802520927334301699

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
How are people maintaining their faith in the american system of government, process and rule of law in the face of all of this?

The recount is going to change nothing, but the GOP really does feel like an occupying force when they keep getting access to the levers of power in spite of not winning the most votes - and then ruthlessly exploit that to consolidate or gain more power. This is the 2nd time in my political life that's happened, and I'll bet the 2nd time voter suppression let them pull out the "legitimate" win. Hell, the president-elect is going to have to literally occupy a large chunk of prime NYC real estate, at an economic cost of billions, and somehow gets to use their own security forces to do it!

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

TheBigAristotle posted:

Isn't Manifest Destiny like a super duper loving racist thing? Why would he suggest that or use that phrase

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Isn't Manifest Destiny like a super duper loving racist thing? Why would he suggest that or use that phrase

Your first statement answers your second

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Buffer posted:

How are people maintaining their faith in the american system of government, process and rule of law in the face of all of this?

The recount is going to change nothing, but the GOP really does feel like an occupying force when they keep getting access to the levers of power in spite of not winning the most votes - and then ruthlessly exploit that to consolidate or gain more power. This is the 2nd time in my political life that's happened, and I'll bet the 2nd time voter suppression let them pull out the "legitimate" win. Hell, the president-elect is going to have to literally occupy a large chunk of prime NYC real estate, at an economic cost of billions, and somehow gets to use their own security forces to do it!

Hate to tell you this, bud, but people overwhelmingly voted in Republicans to both houses of congress, governorships, and state legislatures too. It turns out that the Democratic strategy of stealing resources from those races to prop up an unpopular candidate was really, really bad

Also if the election really was based in popular vote they probably still would have lost since turnouts would have been different

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Buffer posted:

Same way I survived 14 years of George W Bush as governor or president, one day at a time.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Buffer posted:

The GOP and their extremely wealthy backers - The DeVos', The Kochs, and others - are absolutely an undemocratic occupying force.

What you're seeing is the wealthy elite mounting an insurgency to bust unions and make it so they don't have to pay taxes and some of them are trying to incubate a Christian theocracy. It's not going to happen over night - these people plan things in terms of decades - but the future of America is a Christian theocracy where the rich don't pay taxes and the rest of us purchase public services through use fees.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 26, 2016

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Because it's Bill Kristol.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xae posted:

Definitely didn't bother to read the article then, because that wasn't the law at issue.

So what's your argument exactly? Because the federal laws governing railway and airline unions are legitimately anti-labor and date back to active union busting efforts.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I love the people attacking the recount like it isn't the biggest non-story ever. She said she couldn't guarantee the money would go to it because she couldn't guarantee they'd let her do a recount in every state. She raised the money needed because that's how much she actually needs for each state. The people freaking out about how she's just gonna line her pockets and walk away are so blisteringly inane. It will legitimately happen and will find nothing. Why are you searching for a high horse here? Stein may be a nut but she's not a scam artist.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Paradoxish posted:

So what's your argument exactly? Because the federal laws governing railway and airline unions are legitimately anti-labor and date back to active union busting efforts.

Yes. gently caress strike laws. If a union wants to strike, they should be able to strike, not ask for loving permission.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Does anyone have any national statistics from this election that could be put into a nice visual format to illustrate "Number of people who voted Democrat vs. Republican" on one chart, and "Number of government seats that went to Democrats vs. Republicans" on another chart right beside it?

I have a feeling that data might tell quite a loving story.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Huzanko posted:

The GOP and their extremely wealthy backers - The DeVos', The Kochs, and others - are absolutely an undemocratic occupying force.

What you're seeing is the wealthy elite mounting an insurgency to bust unions and make it so they don't have to pay taxes and some of them are trying to incubate a Christian theocracy. It's not going to happen over night - these people plan things in terms of decades - but the future of America is a Christian theocracy where the rich don't pay taxes and the rest of us purchase public services through use fees.

The side that got hundreds of millions of dollars from Wall Street: not the wealthy elite. Got it.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

TheBigAristotle posted:

I can get behind two more Democratic senators.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

TheBigAristotle posted:

goddamnit southerners you lost war, give up on the Ostend manifesto already :argh:

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

The side that got hundreds of millions of dollars from Wall Street: not the wealthy elite. Got it.

Wall St. bet on Clinton for the same reason many others did. She is a hell of a lot smarter and more stable than Donald Trump. Even Trump has said, in the past, that Democrats are better for the economy.

Any kind of favorable legislation Wall St. may have got out of Clinton is nothing compared to the sweeping destructive changes to everything that are about to happen under Trump.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Huzanko posted:

Yes. gently caress strike laws. If a union wants to strike, they should be able to strike, not ask for loving permission.

On the other hand, with no strike laws that means if a company wants to fire anyone who strikes, they are able to.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

On the other hand, with no strike laws that means if a company wants to fire anyone who strikes, they are able to.

That may work for like the Kroger union but gl finding an entire fleet of pilots quickly

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Stultus Maximus posted:

Isn't the whole point of a union that you would have to fire everyone

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Buffer posted:

There have been a lot more than two cases of voter suppression swinging the result of an election. The system has been hosed for literal centuries, it's just that everyone pretends otherwise because nobody can be trusted to change or fix it without trying to rig things in their side's favor somehow.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

That may work for like the Kroger union but gl finding an entire fleet of pilots quickly

Pilots on the lower end of the seniority list spend their off hours preparing Quesaritos for you at taco bell for minimum wage to make ends meet, so i dont suspect this would be as big an issue as other industries. (This of course before flying into a mountain because there is no time in there for sleep)

Ask me about my first career :suicide:

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 26, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

The death of unions began when Reagan fired all the air traffic controllers. When the government is willing to help out with labor-busting, it's not so hard.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Pilots on the lower end of the seniority list spend their off hours preparing Quesaritos for you at taco bell for minimum wage, so i dont suspect this would be as big an issue as other industries. (This of course before flying into a mountain because there is no time in there for sleep)

I thought pilot was a six figure salary?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I love the people attacking the recount like it isn't the biggest non-story ever. She said she couldn't guarantee the money would go to it because she couldn't guarantee they'd let her do a recount in every state. She raised the money needed because that's how much she actually needs for each state. The people freaking out about how she's just gonna line her pockets and walk away are so blisteringly inane. It will legitimately happen and will find nothing. Why are you searching for a high horse here? Stein may be a nut but she's not a scam artist.

She did actually file in WI, at least.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Isn't the whole point of a union that you would have to fire everyone

Reagan had no problem doing that.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

http://www.politico.com/story/2008/08/reagan-fires-11-000-striking-air-traffic-controllers-aug-5-1981-012292

Holy loving poo poo how is not working unless you get satisfactory compensation illegal? How have I never heard of this?

schools in West Virginia suck ya'll.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Employers can already replace striking workers in many cases (ie, when unions are striking for higher wages), they just can't outright fire them for striking. They aren't even necessarily required to provide them with their old jobs back once negotiations conclude.

Labor laws mostly exist to define what unions can't do, because workers acting collectively legitimately have much more power than the management of most organizations. Replacing a large organization's entire workforce, even temporarily, during anything other than times of extreme economic hardship is not trivial.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Buffer posted:

Trump almost certainly won by the agreed upon dumb rules that we've been dealing with for hundreds of years.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I thought pilot was a six figure salary?

Entry level for pilots is between $30-50k and that's usually after ~$100k out of the pilot's pocket to get the training to fly people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

That people are circle jerking over fake news.

The judge didn't decide based on Christmas without Amazon, he decided based on long standing laws that have been upheld, repeatedly.

• Locked thread