Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I love the people attacking the recount like it isn't the biggest non-story ever. She said she couldn't guarantee the money would go to it because she couldn't guarantee they'd let her do a recount in every state. She raised the money needed because that's how much she actually needs for each state. The people freaking out about how she's just gonna line her pockets and walk away are so blisteringly inane. It will legitimately happen and will find nothing. Why are you searching for a high horse here? Stein may be a nut but she's not a scam artist.

People like to poo poo on third parties as a way of legitimizing the poo poo two-party (i.e. one-party) system, when Jill Stein is no worse if not better than the other clowns running for office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rated PG-34 posted:

People like to poo poo on third parties as a way of legitimizing the poo poo two-party (i.e. one-party) system, when Jill Stein is no worse if not better than the other clowns running for office.

the anti-vaxx doctor who ran with a dude who entertains people who say 'the jews' are gonna nuke Ameirca as a false flag just like how they did 9/11 is actually bad

tngffl
May 6, 2008
They should also look at New Hampshire, Maine and Delaware if they want to be totally fair to all parties as those locations were all won by Clinton by smaller margins comparatively then the 3 states currently being talked about for recount.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Rated PG-34 posted:

The problem isn't Stein, it's that without other electoral reforms - ranked choice voting, getting rid of the electoral college, proportional representation, etc. - third parties are not viable. How do you get those reforms? Well, the DNC has to stop being horrible. How do you make that happen? Massive amounts of participation, activism, and awareness. Otherwise, nothing will change, ever. You don't change the things we need to change at the ballot box; you do it the other 364 days of the year.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't believe Obama killed Osama Bin Laden and Fidel Castro

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

I can't believe Obama killed Osama Bin Laden and Fidel Castro

Personally.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

the anti-vaxx doctor who ran with a dude who entertains people who say 'the jews' are gonna nuke Ameirca as a false flag just like how they did 9/11 is actually bad

Are we talking about republicans running for the nomination or

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

Hate to tell you this, bud, but people overwhelmingly voted in Republicans to both houses of congress, governorships, and state legislatures too. It turns out that the Democratic strategy of stealing resources from those races to prop up an unpopular candidate was really, really bad

If we don't give extra votes to land, not really. Even when we do, the senate wasn't exactly an overwhelming victory. 100k votes in Wisconsin, Missouri and PA in a county of hundreds of millions. Less than a hundred thousand votes total between PA, MI, and WI for POTUS. State leg is also pretty packed. They got bigger majorities than their vote totals supported.

They won, by the rules that exist. That's not the question. The question is how does anyone look at that outcome and go, yea, that's fair, my government and its processes totally possess legitimacy. Especially when it inevitably comes out, like happened in 2000, how effective voter supression can be.

Also if the election really was based in popular vote they probably still would have lost since turnouts would have been different

Can't prove a counterfactual. We only have the results we have.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Except every country doesn't murder, torture, and unlawfully detain its civilians for decades while its leader denies it?

No that's just every dictator on the planet and the US. :v:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Huzanko posted:

The problem isn't Stein, it's that without other electoral reforms - ranked choice voting, getting rid of the electoral college, proportional representation, etc. - third parties are not viable. How do you get those reforms? Well, the DNC has to stop being horrible. How do you make that happen? Massive amounts of participation, activism, and awareness. Otherwise, nothing will change, ever. You don't change the things we need to change at the ballot box; you do it the other 364 days of the year.

The question "how do we get ranked choice voting in America" actually has an answer, google Paul LePage

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Isn't Manifest Destiny like a super duper loving racist thing? Why would he suggest that or use that phrase

How was manifest destiny racist?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

My Linux Rig posted:

Ask a Native American.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

My Linux Rig posted:

why don't we bring civilization to the savages surely they would be grateful

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

Manifest destiny is literally "it doesn't matter that someone else lives here because we're going to own it anyway"

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

My Linux Rig posted:

How was 'It is the holy destiny of the uniquely good and civilized people of the USA (white people) to spread forth across this pristine, untouched land (native american's don't count)' racist?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

I like how the little native american kid is reading a book titled "CB A"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I like how the little native american kid is reading a book titled "CB A"
Gotta learn up on union practices for the next negotiation window

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Politico has a running daily diary blog

http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald-trump-administration

I found this part interesting

Politico posted:

TRUMP TURNING AWAY BRIEFERS: “President-elect Donald Trump has received two classified intelligence briefings since his surprise election victory earlier this month, a frequency that is notably lower — at least so far — than that of his predecessors, current and former U.S. officials said,” write Greg Miller and Adam Entous for the Washington Post. “A team of intelligence analysts has been prepared to deliver daily briefings on global developments and security threats to Trump in the two weeks since he won. Vice President-elect Mike Pence, by contrast, has set aside time for intelligence briefings almost every day since the election, officials said.”

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My Linux Rig posted:

I was gonna answer this but like eight people beat me to it.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Rated PG-34 posted:

I see people post stuff like this and think they must be eurogoons.

It's a two party system you guys, I don't like it but that's the way it is.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Hollismason posted:

Only briefings Trump needs are where the next rally is

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Huzanko posted:

Why would the dnc want to encourage third parties when their entire existence is based on cramming together disparate groups and then forcing them to follow a corporatist platform

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hollismason posted:

Two reasons for that: facts don't matter in Trumpland, and the actual work will be given to
Shadow President Pence while he goes to more rallies

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Milo Yinankdshfalshfljsadh is coming to WVU early next month and I want to ask him a question. I'm thinking

"How much money do you get to work for people who don't even consider you human and how can I get in on this?"

Suggestions?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Milo Yinankdshfalshfljsadh is coming to WVU early next month and I want to ask him a question. I'm thinking

"How much money do you get to work for people who don't even consider you human and how can I get in on this?"

Suggestions?
go to republican old boys' clubs parties and become an AIDS vector

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Buffer posted:

If we don't give extra votes to land, not really. Even when we do, the senate wasn't exactly an overwhelming victory. 100k votes in Wisconsin, Missouri and PA in a county of hundreds of millions. Less than a hundred thousand votes total between PA, MI, and WI for POTUS. State leg is also pretty packed. They got bigger majorities than their vote totals supported.

They won, by the rules that exist. That's not the question. The question is how does anyone look at that outcome and go, yea, that's fair, my government and its processes totally possess legitimacy. Especially when it inevitably comes out, like happened in 2000, how effective voter supression can be.

I think your numbers are off

Also Trump won because he had a vision for America while his opponent promised nothing but more of the same. He deserved the win and the fsct that he did so in spite of massive media favoritism and a mega-millions gap shows that the system does in fact work

This election has given me more faith in the american system than ever before because it disproved the assertion that voting was just a mechanism for turning money into political power: this time, the money lost

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Hollismason posted:

I can't wait until Trump's ego inevitably clashes with Pence over who the real president is.

he did so in spite of massive media favoritism

You mean the media that constantly downplayed Trump's problems while harping on Clinton's in the interest of "fairness?"

Republicans fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 26, 2016

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

go to republican old boys' clubs parties and become an AIDS vector

Ha jokes on you, they have access to the cure for aids

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Ha jokes on you, they have access to the cure for aids
having to bathe in industrial antiseptic fluid and sleep in the home equivalent of scientific cleanrooms isn't exactly a cure

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

having to bathe in industrial antiseptic fluid and sleep in the home equivalent of scientific cleanrooms isn't exactly a cure

It's actually a simple course of injections. You get told about them once you have seniority in the Illuminati elite

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Also you seem to be confusing aids with that john travolta disease

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Milo Yinankdshfalshfljsadh

xenophobe.

he has a perfectly normal greek name.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

This election has given me more faith in the american system than ever before because it disproved the assertion that voting was just a mechanism for turning money into political power: this time, the money lost

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha

It's actually a simple course of injections. You get told about them once you have seniority in the Illuminati elite

Either that or you go for transfusions of Charlie Sheen's blood.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A literal billionaire won the WH but somehow 'money lost'.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

cheese posted:

How was 'It is the holy destiny of the uniquely good and civilized people of the USA (white people) to spread forth across this pristine, untouched land (native american's don't count)' racist?

Don't forget that the real reason they're doing this is because the South's need to balance out their representation so they can preserve slavery against the increasingly-abolitionist North.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

A literal billionaire won the WH but somehow 'money lost'.

Hillary spent over a billion dollars and lost. Trump didn't need to because he had a message that voters wanted.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

trump spent half a billion dollars of other peoples' money instead

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Enkmar posted:

I see people post stuff like this and think they must be eurogoons.

It's a two party system you guys, I don't like it but that's the way it is.

Everything is the way it is, whether you like it or not so what's your point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

trump spent half a billion dollars of other peoples' money instead

Let's not forget the $2 billion of free media time he got.

• Locked thread