Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
truly, this election is proof that overt bigotry within the hearts of millions can vanquish the forces of money and corruption :911:

god bless america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
RW blogger fakenews count for Trump over 2billion as well.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

Why would the dnc want to encourage third parties when their entire existence is based on cramming together disparate groups and then forcing them to follow a corporatist platform

My point is they wouldn't. So it needs to die or it needs to be overtaken by actual leftists.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

This election has given me more faith in the american system than ever before because it disproved the assertion that voting was just a mechanism for turning money into political power: this time, the money lost
This time it goes the other direction.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Tiberius Christ posted:

Hillary spent over a billion dollars and lost. Trump didn't need to because he had a message that voters wanted.

You mean the message that 2 million fewer people wanted that just happened to be arbitrarily distributed in key states?

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

I think your numbers are off

They aren't. Hell you don't have to think, you can just go look at the results if you want. It's a pretty easily fact-checked thing.

The GOP was overwhelmingly rejected in places like the pacific coast, NY, the populated parts of New England, etc. More people live there and the dems wracked up huge margins pretty much across the board (30+ pt margins). That doesn't matter because of how the rules are set up, but it's pretty much the story of the 21st century (2004 and 2010 excepted) - republican friendly areas represent more land, so the GOP gets more power, even though they represent less people.

They thus get to impose their agenda on areas of the country that are both more populous and overwhelmingly reject them, in spite of not winning the most votes, because of where they drew their votes from, how the rules are set up and how they've been able to put a thumb on that scale to consolidate that advantage. It's very, very hard to be ok with that.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Velkest posted:

xenophobe.

he has a perfectly normal greek name.

:agreed:

Making fun of Milo's name is a dumb chapo injoke that has Drumpf'd the shark and should die.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You mean the message that 2 million fewer people wanted that just happened to be arbitrarily distributed in key states?

I don't want to reinforce the burgeoning notion that Trump won the "REAL AMERICAN (tm)" popular vote, but the states where Hillary got more votes, as far as I know, are states that always vote Democratic anyway, regardless of the candidate.

Hillary probably should've campaigned harder in key states and, you know, actually spent some money there.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Huzanko posted:

I don't want to reinforce the burgeoning notion that Trump won the "REAL AMERICAN (tm)" popular vote, but the states where Hillary got more votes, as far as I know, are states that always vote Democratic anyway, regardless of the candidate.

Hillary probably should've campaigned harder in key states and, you know, actually spent some money there.

This is a dumb, dumb discussion that's been had to death, but remember that according to all the state polling (which everyone had no reason to believe was massively incorrect), they were spending all their time in the critical battlegrounds. In hindsight of course the "firewall" wasn't nearly as safe as it appeared, but that's not the right lens through which to view strategy decisions. They made the right decisions for the polling they had, and up until literally election night everyone, even the Trump campaign themselves, agreed with the information that led them to do so.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/RyanHolmquist/status/802390092136546305

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Youre all about diversity until its working against you. Not to say the current EC is perfect, but i dont want my president creating her whole platform for NY, CHI and LA and saying "everyone else can suck it".

Nietzschean posted:

I believe you mean Mister Worldwide :colbert:

Speaking of suck it, Mr "Mall Opening master of ceremonies" pit bull can foam party with rubio. Ricky Raws is the real king of miami.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 26, 2016

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Youre all about diversity until its working against you. Not to say the current EC is perfect, but i dont want my president creating her whole platform for NY, CHI and LA and saying "everyone else can suck it".

Instead, the candidate who panders to the less populous rural states wins lmao

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Instead you want the President that literally wants to live in New York because he can't be bothered to leave his home to run the country?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Ron Jeremy posted:

:agreed:

Making fun of Milo's name is a dumb chapo injoke that has Drumpf'd the shark and should die.

people should just start calling him Tucker Carlson, that probably bothers him more than anything else

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Mr. 305 himself!

I believe you mean Mister Worldwide :colbert:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Ah yes, so the President should craft their whole platform for Ohio, North Carolina, Florida, and Iowa, and everyone else outside of those states should suck it. That's the system that works the best!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Have we failed to consider the CIA finally succeeded in assassinating Castro by sending Florence Henderson on a suicide mission?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

MattD1zzl3 posted:

While a president shouldn't completely ignore more rural states, what exactly is the problem with focusing on the states that have a higher economic output, higher population, and are, in fact, more emblematic of the diversity this country is built upon?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Quorum posted:

This is a dumb, dumb discussion that's been had to death, but remember that according to all the state polling (which everyone had no reason to believe was massively incorrect), they were spending all their time in the critical battlegrounds. In hindsight of course the "firewall" wasn't nearly as safe as it appeared, but that's not the right lens through which to view strategy decisions. They made the right decisions for the polling they had, and up until literally election night everyone, even the Trump campaign themselves, agreed with the information that led them to do so.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/11/12/the-advertising-decisions-that-helped-doom-hillary-clinton/

quote:

From Oct. 14 through 30, they ran almost no ads in Wisconsin, Michigan and Virginia, and they aired less than half as many ads as Trump and his backers did in Colorado. By virtue of their spending choices, the pro-Clinton groups were essentially acting as if she had locked up as many as 248 electoral votes already. That is, of course, more than she would end up claiming. Here is the map as Democrats appear to have seen it, with the gray states the ones where they poured their late-October ad dollars.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Velkest posted:

xenophobe.

Sorry, didn't know that. I wasn't trying to be offensive about it I just can't be hosed to remember how to spell that poo poo but in the future I'll make sure I spell it out.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Also the argument that "If we abolished the Electoral College presidential candidates would just campaign on the coasts" is ridiculous. Hell, Texas is the second-largest state in the country, you think Hillary wouldn't have held rallies in San Antonio or Trump in Dallas if the popular vote mattered?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Yes, this proves my point? Those states are all ones that appear to have a +8 advantage or so. In practice, it turns out that this was not the case at all.

Whether they should have been more cautious, building in more possibility that the polling was completely wrong, is another discussion entirely. One I tend to agree with. But don't pretend as though they were making tactical decisions based off of fantasy. They were making tactical decisions off information that everyone thought was right.

I'm personally very much looking forward to the pew postmortem. I'm genuinely curious what led to the state level pulling being so catastrophically wrong almost across the board. National polling, on the other hand, turned out to be just about correct.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

MattD1zzl3 posted:

The areas of land which decided this election have less population than one of those three cities, let alone all three. Hell, they have less population than Manhattan Island alone. This might not be the nightmare scenario for Democracy, but it's drat close to it.

Per Dave Wasserman:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/802573660309614592

2.5 million people is a lot of loving people.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Quorum posted:

They were making tactical decisions off information that everyone thought was right

this is not true and i don't know why super wrong people always have to say it (financial crisis, iraq, etc)

would it shock you to learn that there are some americans that don't get whipped up into a frenzy over every ny times expose published?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Stupid Clinton made decisions based on polling instead of looking at the actual election results via a time machine.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PerniciousKnid posted:

Stupid Clinton made decisions based on polling instead of looking at the actual election results via a time machine.

its like one of those episodes of 24 where they dont immediately listen to jack bauer

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

PerniciousKnid posted:

If polling does not reflect reality, of what use is the polling? It's like you want to double down on what led to the loss and the only other suggestion is to get rid of the EC via magic or something. God drat liberals have no answers or solutions.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Niton posted:

The areas of land which decided this election have less population than one of those three cities, let alone all three. Hell, they have less population than Manhattan Island alone. This might not be the nightmare scenario for Democracy, but it's drat close to it.

Per Dave Wasserman:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/802573660309614592

2.5 million people is a lot of loving people.

Did the house elections come out the same way? More total votes for democrats and a republican victory?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Huzanko posted:

My point is they wouldn't. So it needs to die or it needs to be overtaken by actual leftists.

the problem with this is everything about that anyone says about the Democratic Party as being hostile to progressives or whatnot goes even moreso to our government itself

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The recount will change nothing. Donald J Trump will be president. The quicker y'all accept it, the easier it will be for y'all.

It's over. He won. Get over it already

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Niton posted:

We have a centuries long tradition of not allowing the most populous states to throw their weight around. Democracy doesnt work and was never the goal.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 26, 2016

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Covok posted:

The recount will change nothing. Donald J Trump will be president. The quicker y'all accept it, the easier it will be for y'all.

It's over. He won. Get over it already

People really want our democracy to have been undermined.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/802605255678656513

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Ron Jeremy posted:

Did the house elections come out the same way? More total votes for democrats and a republican victory?

No, but that's what happened in 2012: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections,_2012

In 2016, we merely required 55,000 more voters per Congressional seat than the Republicans (255k vs 310k).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections,_2016

--

MattD1zzl3 posted:

We have a centuries long tradition of not allowing the most populous states to throw their weight around. Democracy doesnt work and was never the goal.

Small states already have disproportionate power (intentionally) in the Senate, and (unintentionally) in the House. A tyranny of the minority in all three elections is less democratic than anything you've proposed.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Yeah, the people have spoken and two million more people voted for your opponent.
Honestly ignoring the debate of the EC I think the fact Trump knows he handily lost the PV irks him

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Well, he isn't entirely wrong.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Velkest posted:

xenophobe.

Hahahahahaha

Did you just white knight Meelo

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Spaced God posted:

Yeah, the people have spoken and two million more people voted for your opponent.
Honestly ignoring the debate of the EC I think the fact Trump knows he handily lost the PV irks him

I love the projection of mentioning that she's going to line her coffers.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Hahahahahaha

Did you just white knight Meelo

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/xenophobe?s=t

:ssh:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Niton posted:

I love the projection of mentioning that she's going to line her coffers.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/xenophobe?s=t

:ssh:

She probably will line her coffers.

• Locked thread