Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

That's some regrettable nonsense if true. They should be milking the dress up, it should be fun, what's the point of a boy band if they can't have different outfits for each show/boss battle.

There's at least one more that you get near the end of the game and that you can use during the post end. Apparently there is so much loving things to do post end that they might have more clothing to unlock then. It would make sense, since having the story past by then they dont have to worry about cutscenes ruining ~immersion~ of having something else on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

We'll know all the outfits when the strategy guides get released.

But the guides will be outdated since patches are adding things to the game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
For more info on outfits, check out PlayOnline

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I've been staying away from this thread because of all the black bars, but I had a really dumb realization this morning that I thought I'd share. The name of the royal family in 15 is a direct cognate of 13 and Type-0's "l'Cie". In Japanese, at least. ルシス (rushisu, Lucis) / ルシ (rushi, l''Cie).

Lucis is of course also derived from the Latin Lux, but there's a double meaning there only apparent in Japan - which I'm perfectly fine with because the Fabula Nova Crystallis was loving stupid and I hope Tabata has scrubbed as much of it from 15 as he possibly can.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nothing from FNC exists in FFXV. Even the goddess logo art gets a new meaning

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The painting of Etro is still in Kingsglaive though but that can be chalked down to being just an easter egg.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Still only approaching the mid-point of the game, but reading a lot of really good news from people who have finished. Well, the bad news is that the story remains pretty fractured up until the end (where, as others have said, it comes to a structurally stronger conclusion, although people may or may not personally be satisfied by the ending). There is, however, apparently a LOT of post-game content, including several hidden dungeons, and entire new class of hunt, super bosses, ultimate weapons, etc. I'm guessing that the post-game is where Tabata and his crew really got to play with the game and its systems without being chained down by the legacy of the Versus story, and it shines through.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Have any of them taken 72 real time hours to beat yet?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Really glad to hear about ample post-game stuff. If the delays may have resulted in non-essential staff working on bonus content I don't regret them pushing it back at all.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

VanillaGorilla posted:

Still only approaching the mid-point of the game, but reading a lot of really good news from people who have finished. Well, the bad news is that the story remains pretty fractured up until the end (where, as others have said, it comes to a structurally stronger conclusion, although people may or may not personally be satisfied by the ending). There is, however, apparently a LOT of post-game content, including several hidden dungeons, and entire new class of hunt, super bosses, ultimate weapons, etc. I'm guessing that the post-game is where Tabata and his crew really got to play with the game and its systems without being chained down by the legacy of the Versus story, and it shines through.

GOTY

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

How often do sidequests get unique party banter? That's really important to me

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

According to people, really quite often. Some say the game is sorta FF7-style where a bunch of the story is hidden away in optional scenes and quests ala Yuffie, Vincent, Lucrecia, Zack, so on and so forth.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Terper posted:

According to people, really quite often. Some say the game is sorta FF7-style where a bunch of the story is hidden away in optional scenes and quests ala Yuffie, Vincent, Lucrecia, Zack, so on and so forth.

Not quite that extensive but you do learn a lot more about their personalities and backgrounds from the banter during quests and dungeons.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Post-game content is very good, nice to hear that

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

As someone who has played through and 100%'d multiple times FF1-10, but could not just get up enough care to get through 12and 13, how does 15 look? I'm on severely capped net, so I can't see any videos, but I am cautiously optimistic from hearing opinions in this thread

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lyrai posted:

As someone who has played through and 100%'d multiple times FF1-10, but could not just get up enough care to get through 12and 13, how does 15 look? I'm on severely capped net, so I can't see any videos, but I am cautiously optimistic from hearing opinions in this thread

VanillaGorilla has been providing regular updates. Current prognosis seems to be that the plot is clearly threadbare and hacked together from a bunch of scenes assembled during the game's turbulent production, but the actual gameplay is quite nice and there's a lot to see and do.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

VanillaGorilla has been providing regular updates. Current prognosis seems to be that the plot is clearly threadbare and hacked together from a bunch of scenes assembled during the game's turbulent production, but the actual gameplay is quite nice and there's a lot to see and do.

Yep, this is SE's most experimental game in quite some time, and the ironic part is that all of the experimental stuff works really well, and all the traditional stuff (particularly the story) falls flat on its face.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Is the story at least better than XIII?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If there is one thing I have learned in all my Final Fantasy years, never ask a man's opinion on a Final Fantasy story

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Also, someone found at least one new outfit in the post-game, for your fashion needs. It's....not really a boy band outfit, though.

it's the hazmat suit from the power plant in Lestallum

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Most likely going to be new outfits to find in the DLC packages. They all dive deeper into per-character stories, if they get received/previewed well I'll get that season pass when the time comes.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Does the game still feature mmo grindfest style drop rates for materials from enemies used for things like weapons and upgrades?

I just want to go back to fighting my way through a tough dungeon, beating a secret boss and taking its stuff after killing it. Not killing 1000 enemies for a 1% drop rate of just one part of 20 to make level 2 of 6 of a weapon.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Most weapons aren't upgradeable so far. For those that are, Cid has quests for each that require one item, which is either something you get off of a tough mob, or you pick up off the ground. For the former, it's been one kill = drop so far, and for the latter, it looks like they're placed, not a random drop from a spawn point.

One thing that is kind of annoying is not being able to have more than one Hunt active at a time. I'd like to load up on like 4 or 5 at once without having to run back to the outposts after each one.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 26, 2016

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I just want to know if there is a shirtless option. Come on, SE, you devoted an entire trailer to shredding Noctis's shirt off. You know what your audience wants. :mad:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
okay guys I'm not the best when it comes to calculating internet speeds and downloads, etc. But I just tested my internet and its 22.59 Mbps. I bought digital on Ps4. I work Monday night and get off at 2am, do you guys think I'll have enough preload time that it will be ready by then? Or at least within a couple of hours so I can play when I get home early Tuesday morning? I'm not really sure what my ps4 itself likes to download at, it's wired to the router though. I downloaded World of Final Fantasy and I think that only took a few hours but I honestly don't know how big that is compared to 15.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Is the story at least better than XIII?

Jack and Jill is a better story than XIII in both delivery and content. Don't worry.

Seriously, it's hard to overstate what a trainwreck XIII was.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Protip: Coeurls punch ridiculously above their weight, so think twice otherwise you're going to be cat chow. Honestly, anything that has an AOE attack is troublesome because your boys love to group up and there isn't much you can do about it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

Protip: Coeurls punch ridiculously above their weight, so think twice otherwise you're going to be cat chow. Honestly, anything that has an AOE attack is troublesome because your boys love to group up and there isn't much you can do about it.

Seems in line with the rest of the series. Coeurls were always nasty critters.

Please tell me there are Tonberries.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

my copy is two towns away and theyre just gonna sit on it until tuesday arent they

any other good beforeiplay tips?????

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

VanillaGorilla posted:

Speaking of your boys, how is the AI in general? Are they a problem when you're trying to AoE with spells?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RatHat posted:

Speaking of your boys, how is the AI in general? Are they a problem when you're trying to AoE with spells?

If you aren't constantly electrocuting your bros you're playing the game wrong tbqh

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

RatHat posted:

You're almost guaranteed to hit them with magic unless it's at the start of a battle before everyone runs in. Magic in this game is kind of like artillery. Use it early to soften up monsters and then start combat for real, or use it if you're getting your rear end kicked and just don't care if you fire something off danger close (after blinking out a safe distance, of course). The crafting system kind of reinforces this because very early you can craft up big rear end magic bombs that like quadstrike Fira with added slow/curse effects and poo poo, but you'll definitely feel punished if you frag your team with it.

Techniques take the place of spells, really. They're team-up commands you unlock with AP, and you can do things like buff yourself, drop big AOE attacks, debuff, etc. They can also have the damage limit unlocked (for a SUBSTANTIAL investment of AP), so they're definitely the hardest hitting weapons you have.

edit: Haven't seen any Tonberries yet, although I'm still really early (just about to move past Chapter 6, 21 hours in). Also a curious lack of Moogles.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Sadly Moogles are only stuffed dolls in XV.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

VanillaGorilla posted:

edit: Haven't seen any Tonberries yet, although I'm still really early (just about to move past Chapter 6, 21 hours in). Also a curious lack of Moogles.

Moogles aren't in the game except as a decoy doll you use as a distraction.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How do summons work? In the Duscae Demo you could only use them when you were near death.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

VanillaGorilla posted:

You're almost guaranteed to hit them with magic unless it's at the start of a battle before everyone runs in. Magic in this game is kind of like artillery. Use it early to soften up monsters and then start combat for real, or use it if you're getting your rear end kicked and just don't care if you fire something off danger close (after blinking out a safe distance, of course). The crafting system kind of reinforces this because very early you can craft up big rear end magic bombs that like quadstrike Fira with added slow/curse effects and poo poo, but you'll definitely feel punished if you frag your team with it.

Techniques take the place of spells, really. They're team-up commands you unlock with AP, and you can do things like buff yourself, drop big AOE attacks, debuff, etc. They can also have the damage limit unlocked (for a SUBSTANTIAL investment of AP), so they're definitely the hardest hitting weapons you have.

Is there any dialogue for hitting your team?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

VanillaGorilla posted:

There are tonberries and also of the master variety.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is there any dialogue for hitting your team?
Yes, character bark at you if you hit them. If you zap them with a thunder spell they sort of stutter like theyve been electrocuted, if you light them on fire the roll around in flames, etc

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm going to assume there's no reason to give your teammates spells, especially because you could repeat the Prompto incident where he's constantly electrocuting the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Tae posted:

I'm going to assume there's no reason to give your teammates spells, especially because you could repeat the Prompto incident where he's constantly electrocuting the party.

Prompto incident?

• Locked thread