Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Docjowles posted:

I always recommend learning more Linux, but I kinda doubt it would come up in a desktop support interview. I think VC and I were both talking about more of a senior production ops type job.

Oh wait, this is a desktop job he is talking about interviewing for?

Yeah, linux really shouldn't come up at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I always give the same answer in every interview if they ask me about Linux experience: "I know enough to get myself into trouble but not out of it."

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

Oh wait, this is a desktop job he is talking about interviewing for?

Yeah, linux really shouldn't come up at all.

Yeah, hopefully. I mean, it would be cool if I did get my hands on Linux, because I want to expand my skillset. But I'm currently working a desktop contract, so hopefully I can get into it as a regular employee and get some experience to move up to sysadmin. Especially with their benefits. 0 deductible, 0 premium, 0 copay health insurance, transportation reimbursement, gym reimbursement, and free lunches so I don't keep having to go and buy fast food when I leave my lunch at home.

I'm getting ahead of myself, though. I put the application in yesterday. I did have an initial interview Tuesday for an application support position that would be a $5/hr raise, but that's a contract.

AbrahamSlam
Jun 12, 2013

Mess with the bull, you get the WANG!
Yeah that sounds like it'd be a pretty sweet gig man.

GYM REIMBURSEMENT, TIME TO GET SWOLE

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

Does it auto NAT, or can you just use it like a wireless LAN controller as the gateway and use static routing to get to other networks?
I can't remember if it NATs in bridge mode. I don't think it does. I tried it when I first got it, and I think because it wasn't doing NAT/routing was why I switched it back to set-it-and-forget-it home router mode. Here's their silly little explanation of Bridge Mode, for what it's worth.
https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/220979347-Does-AmpliFi-support-bridge-mode-

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
So tonight was the night I actually put my resume together and started applying for jobs.

The first thing that became obvious is I cannot have my mobile phone on me in work. It will be sod's law my assistant takes a call from a recruiter but oh well, the plan is to leave anyway.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Why would you give them your work line? Are you really not allowed to have your phone with you? Just decline the call, listen to the VM, call them back when you can.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
really not, i work in a prison so it's illegal.

the only person i share my office with is my assistant and generally he is out the office doing support so shouldnt be a major issue, just a bit of a pain in the butt.

although that is one of my reasons for leaving - things that should be easy, such as taking a private call when you have to, shouldnt be that hard.

I get that i chose to work in a prison but, bored now :D

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Why would you give them your work line? Are you really not allowed to have your phone with you? Just decline the call, listen to the VM, call them back when you can.

I've found quite a few recruiters won't leave messages nowadays.

I generally feel its no loss, but who knows, maybe thats someone calling me with that fabled 200k a year job.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would just let them know that you work in a prison and to email you when they want to talk so you can schedule a break around it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hypothetical question: If it's not for a government position, I would be dodging a bullet if a company insisted I had a current A+ rather than an expired one and job experience, right? Because screw paying $3-400 every 3 years to prove that I have the basic skills to do helpdesk.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Hypothetical question: If it's not for a government position, I would be dodging a bullet if a company insisted I had a current A+ rather than an expired one and job experience, right? Because screw paying $3-400 every 3 years to prove that I have the basic skills to do helpdesk.

How much experience?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

2 years. Field tech, tier 1, desktop support.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

22 Eargesplitten posted:

2 years. Field tech, tier 1, desktop support.

Yeah that's silly if they're holding the expiration over your head. You did your time.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah. It hasn't happened, but I was wondering because I applied for one that listed it as required. There's another that just listed it as a plus. I told them that I had one, but it expired last month and I didn't take the test to renew it. I also got to use the UDP joke on that application, so that's a plus nice.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

If you ever decide you want to work in the DTC, I can get you an interview for working on firewalls.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Can you PM me information about that? I'm actually wanting to move down to the Denver area. I've been applying all over the Longmont/Boulder/Broomfield/Denver area. I applied to five jobs tonight.

It still hasn't stopped being weird to me that in this giant forum people remember who I am.

Kapyong
Mar 25, 2016
Gday Docjowles and all :)

Docjowles posted:

I dunno, I'd fear for my personal safety if I asked a truly great candidate to be honest about their feeling on printers :v:

My reply now is :

" Sorry, I don't do printers. "

Kapyong

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

:yotj:

Tendering my resignation from my post of 5 years momentarily. Never comfortable.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Walked posted:

Tendering my resignation from my post of 5 years momentarily. Never comfortable.

True. If anyone is anything but supportive of you moving ahead with your career, gently caress 'em

I've never been anything but happy for folks that have decided to move on.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Walked posted:

I find leaving jobs to be rather liberating, though I also don't believe in :airquote: loyalty :airquote: to a company since that's just about never reciprocated these days.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah. I've been loyal enough to want to stick with a contract until it ended before. I've also been told my contract was definitely going to be converted or extended. Guess what percentage of the time I ended up unemployed?

Now I'm applying 2 months out and will give two weeks as soon as I get a good job offer with a cleared drug test and background check.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm loyal to my company as long as they enable me and train me in what I want to do. They treat me well so I'll stay as long as that continues.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

air- posted:

I find leaving jobs to be rather liberating, though I also don't believe in :airquote: loyalty :airquote: to a company since that's just about never reciprocated these days.

I'm generally one to stick around for a while.

That said; I put in my notice. That was cool.

I've been asked to stay on, fully remote, in a consulting capacity, billed hourly, and number of hours based on my availability and discretion - e.g. in the evenings is fine, based on what I feel like doing and/or the team deems priority. if I didnt have a half-decade with this organization and extremely good rapport I'd be more suspect of the offer; however I know two other senior staff who have done similar in my time here

And add on that my new position is fully remote.

I am pretty pleased right now.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Still congrats!!! Fully remote is my dream.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

air- posted:

Still congrats!!! Fully remote is my dream.

Come 12/12/2016 I will be living that dream :woop:

And I finished my basement with a kickass office this past summer, so I'm super excited.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Anyone here travel for work? I have an offer in hand that would require traveling roughly 1 week per month, M-F, to work on client sites. I've never traveled for work but I'm old enough to think that I might really hate it after a few months. When I'm not traveling, it's 100% remote, so that may make up for it. I don't have kids, but I do participate in evening things (orchestra, etc) that I would be sad to miss 25% of the time. It sounds like the clients are more likely to be in California than in the middle of the continent.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Erwin posted:

Anyone here travel for work? I have an offer in hand that would require traveling roughly 1 week per month, M-F, to work on client sites. I've never traveled for work but I'm old enough to think that I might really hate it after a few months. When I'm not traveling, it's 100% remote, so that may make up for it. I don't have kids, but I do participate in evening things (orchestra, etc) that I would be sad to miss 25% of the time. It sounds like the clients are more likely to be in California than in the middle of the continent.

My previous job had me travelling a lot, think about 40-50% of a month. What do you want to know?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Erwin posted:

I travel a lot for work. You take the good with the bad. Make sure you jump on travel rewards programs early to get the most bang for your buck. Also try to stay at places with kitchenettes because eating out every meal eats through the per diem and your arteries.

Hotel gyms are notoriously awful. Some national gym chains will let you use any of their gyms nationwide, so if you're going to roughly the same places then it might be worth checking out. Otherwise, most gyms will sell you a 1-2 week pass on the cheap.

Invest in a Kindle or something similar, as well as sturdy luggage (a week is a bit more than you can eek out of carry-on).

Avoid United/Continental at all costs. Don't be that guy who thinks he can fly transatlantic or transcontinental and show up to the customer site the same day. Give yourself time to recover when changing multiple times zones.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Sprechensiesexy posted:

My previous job had me travelling a lot, think about 40-50% of a month. What do you want to know?

I'm trying to figure out whether I'll enjoy it or not. I realize it comes down to personal preference, but how did you like it? Did you feel like you were working standard hours and were able to spend the evenings relaxing in whatever city you were in, or did you feel like you were on the clock for the entire time you were traveling? Was it a net positive or negative in your overall experience with that job?

VV Oh word thanks, I didn't know that thread existed.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

The business travel thread is super active and can answer just about anything on your mind:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516448

The mantra I always preach is get Global Entry. It's fundamental for a business traveler.

As far as being able to actually enjoy your destinations, that really depends on the type of job and the culture. I've been fortunate where my frequent travelling gigs weren't total grinds, but there have definitely been some 80+ hour weeks onsite.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Erwin posted:

I'm trying to figure out whether I'll enjoy it or not. I realize it comes down to personal preference, but how did you like it? Did you feel like you were working standard hours and were able to spend the evenings relaxing in whatever city you were in, or did you feel like you were on the clock for the entire time you were traveling? Was it a net positive or negative in your overall experience with that job?

This depends on your line of work and the project. My two trips to Europe this summer were straight consulting, where I was on site only a few days for a few hours at a time, so it was more of a working vacation. But I've also worked projects replacing a customer's entire network and was spending 10-12 hours a day on site before crashing at my hotel room to watch HBO. Still, if you have time, try to take advantage of it to sight-see around the area otherwise you'll go insane from being cooped up in your hotel room all of the time. During the aforementioned network replacement, I still made time over the weekend to go hiking (it was in Colorado) and it made the trip awesome.

e: If you do go some place awesome, make sure to spend comp/vacation time there and redeem your rewards points. If your work is already paying for the plane ticket, you might as well take advantage of it.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

So last week I'd mentioned about how I got sent a written offer that is 10k under what I'd agreed to... upon follow-up, they were serious about it :rolleyes:

This really bugs me since I was asked to give a salary range, and the number on the offer is totally below what the low end of what I threw out. I think I'll have to reject.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

air- posted:

So last week I'd mentioned about how I got sent a written offer that is 10k under what I'd agreed to... upon follow-up, they were serious about it :rolleyes:

This really bugs me since I was asked to give a salary range, and the number on the offer is totally below what the low end of what I threw out. I think I'll have to reject.

100% reject; not a good note to start on

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Be sure to tell them that they are insulting you with a bait and switch. That poo poo isn't okay. There's no problem burning bridges when they aren't actually there to begin with.

E: Even if they offer what they said, decline. Even if they offer more, decline. You can't trust them.

Also you could put up an interview review on Glassdoor if you're feeling vindictive.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 28, 2016

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Yeah, seriously. I know better than to give exact salaries, but they insisted, so I said an x to y range after the first interview.

Salary on written offer is below x. Meh, whatever.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

air- posted:

Yeah, seriously. I know better than to give exact salaries, but they insisted, so I said an x to y range after the first interview.

Salary on written offer is below x. Meh, whatever.

Better than them offering you exactly x and then finding out it's a lovely company after you've started :unsmith:

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Erwin posted:

VV Oh word thanks, I didn't know that thread existed.

Well my travel was for projects that typically were from Wednesday till the next Monday/Tuesday. So I worked pretty much 70-80 hours during that time including weekends. Needless to say I didn't do a lot of sightseeing even though I have been to almost every country in Asia during my time. I did make it a point to spend my daily reimbursement limit in good restaurants every day.

Best advice I can give you is to make sure your company has good travel arrangements. You don't want to be fronting the money for hotels and flights because that poo poo adds up fast.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah. It hasn't happened, but I was wondering because I applied for one that listed it as required. There's another that just listed it as a plus. I told them that I had one, but it expired last month and I didn't take the test to renew it. I also got to use the UDP joke on that application, so that's a plus nice.

I figure if they require it as a condition, they should either pay for it or reimburse you for it. Especially since yours just expired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

Get it from CDW, it's not your money.

"CDW. It's not your money, anyway." would be a fantastic slogan.