Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Razorwired posted:

Baby It's Cold Outside is a date rape play by play framed as a Christmas duet. Its also a poo poo song so we should retire it twice.

I was just about to post this, it's super hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I don't mind Christmas song season that much. Mainly because Fairytale of New York got voted as Britain's favourite Christmas song in some poll so it gets a lot of airplay and it's funny that people get into the Christmas spirit by listening to a song with the verse "you scumbag/ you maggot/ you cheap lousy human being/ Happy Christmas yer arse/ I pray to god it's our last" which to be fair if family was anything to go by is a fairly common Christmas Day conversation.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
I like Christmas songs:mamacita:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

That's a pretty over the top response to a legitimate complaint. 3D is a gimmick that needs to die. For every scene that looks cool, there are 100 others where it's just theme park show poo poo like "oh no the bug is flying at you" or "whoa the actor reached out of the screen at me".

I might be the only one who actually struggles during 3D movies. I don't have great vision, and can barely tell the difference between HD and SD, and have to concentrate really hard during 3D movies to see the intended effect, because if I don't it just looks like the features are out of place and fuzzy. More often than not I just end up with a headache.

And the stupid dress was black and blue and I can't see those magic eye things either and aaaghh my stupid eyes are my pet peeve.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Let It Snow is pretty good

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Australia, in my experience, has a bit of an advantage in avoiding Christmas songs. Because all of them hinge so much on winter imagery and mood, they don't really get any traction or airplay until basically the week before. And nobody outside of comedians have ever written songs about Christmas that fits with the Australian experience of it, so nothing replaces it either. Do They Know It's Christmas is the only Christmas song I remember hearing any time before the 20th of December.

The decorations are my peeve. We don't have something like Thanksgiving to hold back the tide, people go loving big on them, and because all Christmas decorations are also based on northern-hemispheric imagery, they don't fit at all. It honestly gets weird when you start thinking about it, and realize that all those things people hang up around December literally only exist within Australia as signifiers of Christmas, and we don't have any of our own.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 09:45 on Nov 25, 2016

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I might be the only one who actually struggles during 3D movies. I don't have great vision, and can barely tell the difference between HD and SD, and have to concentrate really hard during 3D movies to see the intended effect, because if I don't it just looks like the features are out of place and fuzzy. More often than not I just end up with a headache.

And the stupid dress was black and blue and I can't see those magic eye things either and aaaghh my stupid eyes are my pet peeve.

I have a friend who's blind in one eye, so she can't see 3D at all. Which is why it bugged me when the 2DS came out and people were like "you do realise you can turn the 3D off on a regular 3DS, right? :smug:"

Like yeah, you can, but then you're still paying extra for a feature you either don't use or can't use.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cleretic posted:

And nobody outside of comedians have ever written songs about Christmas that fits with the Australian experience of it

There may not be many of them, but Australianised Christmas songs are the worst. Six White Boomers, that version of Jingle Bells that replaces the sleigh with a ute, White Wine in the Sun. Terrible.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Cleretic posted:

The decorations are my peeve. We don't have something like Thanksgiving to hold back the tide, people go loving big on them, and because all Christmas decorations are also based on northern-hemispheric imagery, they don't fit at all. It honestly gets weird when you start thinking about it, and realize that all those things people hang up around December literally only exist within Australia as signifiers of Christmas, and we don't have any of our own.

People barely wait after Thanksgiving anymore. And stores start bringing out their Christmas stock as early as September or October.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Tiggum posted:

There may not be many of them, but Australianised Christmas songs are the worst. Six White Boomers, that version of Jingle Bells that replaces the sleigh with a ute, White Wine in the Sun. Terrible.

I've never heard of anyone doing this and I'm glad.

3D is popular because they can charge more and it fucks with people who would record the screen.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I actually kinda like Six White Boomers. :kiddo:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Mentioning Hanukkah anything to other people and someone launches into that godawful Adam Sandler song.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Oh, wow, this meat is so tender! Cooked it for 50 hours so it has the consistency of Jell-O and no discernible flavor at all and it's tender! MEAT FALLIN' OFF THE BONE! TENDER!

Meat should have the texture of meat and taste like a meat. gently caress this obsession with "tenderness" everyone has.

Also, lately it seems like every time I reheat leftovers I have to poop. Then by the time I get done pooping my food is cold again.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Oh, wow, this meat is so tender! Cooked it for 50 hours so it has the consistency of Jell-O and no discernible flavor at all and it's tender! MEAT FALLIN' OFF THE BONE! TENDER!

Meat should have the texture of meat and taste like a meat. gently caress this obsession with "tenderness" everyone has.

Also, lately it seems like every time I reheat leftovers I have to poop. Then by the time I get done pooping my food is cold again.

A couple of weeks ago I was at my parents' house having dinner. We were eating chicken and my mom kept raving about how "fall off the bone" tender it was, while noting subtle hints of various herbs.
It was KFC. We were eating KFC. She knew this.
I think my folks watch too many cooking shows.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

my horrible grandmother is like this. aside from being a racist shithead, she's convinced she's the best cook, which leads to her making things like her "porkchops". The way she makes porkchops is that she takes the poor, innocent porkchops, put them in a casserole thing, covers them in vegetable oil and badly chopped onions, and throws them in the oven for (not exaggerating) 3-4 hours. She then tries to make everyone eat the oily meatpaste. When people refuse because we actually like not making GBS threads our guts out, she gets angry. It's fun.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate when you are enjoying something interesting someone put out that they then ruin by showing their true nature. A few years ago I started to watch an LP of a Rugrats game on the PSX - it was competently played and routed and I was enjoying the commentary, then a few episodes in he started making a really unpleasant racist joke about japanese karaoke, and I was just like "OK, I'm out."

It wasn't even well researched, if your going to make a lovely joke like that at least learn how the language sounds on a basic level. Get the loving phonemes right or get out. I worked in multiple call centres and got really good a pronouncing foreign names because I paid attention to what their accents turned syllables into and extrapolated from there - a few times I've been complimented on pronouncing a name most people get wrong. And no I'm not that obnoxious guy who overpronounces menu items. Examples of when it came in handy are gaelic or celtic names - let's use a commonly known one - Siobhan (pronounced Shivon). bh is almost always pronounced like a v, so if that letter pair shows up in a name with a similar structure I can guess to pronounce it V unless that's obviously wrong. A less obvious example was the Indian place name Vishwaroop - the clients all pronounced it Vwashi as a maybe diminutive nickname.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 00:02 on Nov 27, 2016

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Sociopastry posted:

my horrible grandmother is like this. aside from being a racist shithead, she's convinced she's the best cook, which leads to her making things like her "porkchops". The way she makes porkchops is that she takes the poor, innocent porkchops, put them in a casserole thing, covers them in vegetable oil and badly chopped onions, and throws them in the oven for (not exaggerating) 3-4 hours. She then tries to make everyone eat the oily meatpaste. When people refuse because we actually like not making GBS threads our guts out, she gets angry. It's fun.
Someone in my family circle is also a racist shithead, but the way SHE overcooks porkchops is by putting them dry in a pan until they turn to hockey pucks and can't be chewed

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

BioEnchanted posted:

I hate when you are enjoying something interesting someone put out that they then ruin by showing their true nature. A few years ago I started to watch an LP of a Rugrats game on the PSX - it was competently played and routed and I was enjoying the commentary, then a few episodes in he started making a really unpleasant racist joke about japanese karaoke, and I was just like "OK, I'm out."

It wasn't even well researched, if your going to make a lovely joke like that at least learn how the language sounds on a basic level. Get the loving phonemes right or get out. I worked in multiple call centres and got really good a pronouncing foreign names because I paid attention to what their accents turned syllables into and extrapolated from there - a few times I've been complimented on pronouncing a name most people get wrong. And no I'm not that obnoxious guy who overpronounces menu items. Examples of when it came in handy are gaelic or celtic names - let's use a commonly known one - Siobhan (pronounced Shivon). bh is almost always pronounced like a v, so if that letter pair shows up in a name with a similar structure I can guess to pronounce it V unless that's obviously wrong. A less obvious example was the Indian place name Vishwaroop - the clients all pronounced it Vwashi as a maybe diminutive nickname.

My pet peeve is english words (and other languages) you can have no idea how to pronounce unless you've already heard it. gently caress the idiots who wrote the dictionary.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

My granny pays premium prices for what I know is really REALLY good ethically raised prime cut beef then cooks it till it's somehow dry and ashy and crumbles :gonk:

She makes me gluten free gravy and stuffing when I'm down there so I can't break her heart and tell her to stop

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

teenytinymouse posted:

My granny pays premium prices for what I know is really REALLY good ethically raised prime cut beef then cooks it till it's somehow dry and ashy and crumbles :gonk:

She makes me gluten free gravy and stuffing when I'm down there so I can't break her heart and tell her to stop

Help her learn to cook it - you'd be surprised how open people are if you approach them the right way. I do that with my mom now, she loves cooking but sometimes she'll pick up something pre-made that's average at best, and I'll find a recipe for it online. I usually try it myself first and maybe tweak it a little, then give my mom the recipe - last time it was an easy Alfredo sauce to go with her tortellini pasta, now she never buys the pre-made sauce :)

Also for tenderness talk - I'm of the opinion that only stuff like pulled pork or shredded beef should be that tender. The flip side was my aunt messing up a turkey by cooking to the point the entire breast came apart from the rest and was barely edible. Turkey doesn't need half a day of cooking, good lord.

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 01:23 on Nov 27, 2016

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

People who say or type "grats" instead on congratulations or even the already shortened form of it, congrats.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

BioEnchanted posted:

Get the loving phonemes right or get out.

Oh my god, this. I can't stand it when people don't even make a cursory attempt to pronounce or learn foreign names-- I see it a lot with white people going "Hmm oh gee well they all sound the same to me ha ha ha" about Indian coworkers' names in my office's IT department, but also with Spanish names/words, for which there is NO excuse because Spanish is considerably easier to pronounce than English, with fewer rules to memorize, and if you're a native English speaker there's literally no reason you shouldn't at least try. Or if you really can't get it, do some research (or just ask, goddamn). It just seems so disrespectful.

And of course, I get the instances where it's such a different sound that it takes some practice to wrap your tongue around the concept, but every time I've heard this happening it's not like that.

Related pet peeve: People mispronouncing/mispelling my last name. They always want to make it Italian :argh:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Forums peeve: White noise posts that just try to shut down thread-relevant discussion by saying "stop talking about ___" or "no one cares about ___", without actually contributing to any other supposedly preferable discussion. Because apparently scrolling past posts that aren't what they want to see people discuss is really difficult.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Google AMP has started showing up in my google search results on my phone and it's so loving bad. It puts this annoying white bar at the top of the page that doesn't go away when you scroll down and it doesn't give you a redirect link to the actual URL so I can't escape from it and I can't link the article to friends/Facebook/this forum. There is also no way to turn it off apparently, and when I searched for ways to turn it off the first link was an AMP link. What loving moron thought this was a good idea?

Digirat posted:

Forums peeve: White noise posts that just try to shut down thread-relevant discussion by saying "stop talking about ___" or "no one cares about ___", without actually contributing to any other supposedly preferable discussion. Because apparently scrolling past posts that aren't what they want to see people discuss is really difficult.

Stop talking about white noise posts.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

BioEnchanted posted:

My last name has a "cz" in it, and I'm always so happy when people pronounce it properly (as "ch") instead of "k-zuh" or "s-zzz" or whatever. Ever heard of the Czech Republic? It's like that. That being said, I've never really understood the last name "Ng." Is it just pronounced like the end of "-ing?"

BOOTY-ADE posted:

...last time it was an easy Alfredo sauce to go with her tortellini pasta, now she never buys the pre-made sauce :)

Good! Alfredo is easy as gently caress to make (butter, heavy cream, parmesan, basil, pepper) so no one should ever have to buy it pre-made.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

yo rear end is grass posted:

My last name has a "cz" in it, and I'm always so happy when people pronounce it properly (as "ch") instead of "k-zuh" or "s-zzz" or whatever. Ever heard of the Czech Republic? It's like that. That being said, I've never really understood the last name "Ng." Is it just pronounced like the end of "-ing?"

Looking it up it is pronounced, in vietnamese, with a (amlost but not really) Nya kinda sound. The way it was summarised in the wiki I found was the n as in 'song' but removing the hard g after, + eah as in yeah. Kinda like the japanese meowing onomatopoeia but a little less definite as the tongue hits the roof of the mouth to make it work. Here's the guide I found: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vietnamese/Ng

When inluded in Nguyen the sound replaces the a with the u sound, so like Win but with a slight "n" sound at the beginning. Also note how the uye set morphs into one sound - a rising u->i kind of sound (with the ending i sound being the asian soft 'ee' not the western hard I).

FUN WITH PHONEMES! :eng101:

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 10:12 on Nov 27, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The surname Ng in Cantonese, however, is pronounced more like the end of -ing.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I've always hated pork because my parents are bad at cooking it (and opted for really lean cuts, even for roasting sometimes, so it was always dry) but recently I bought some boneless spare ribs with nice. marbling, marinated them for about an hour, fried them and used a thermometer to get it to ~145°F and they were so good???? so tender and juicy and moist??????? my parents aren't terrible cooks in general but cmon, it was so easy

my dad told me they recently cooked a large piece of beef in the oven and wanted it to be medium rare so they could slice it for sandwiches, but it ended up well done and I'm like a meat thermometer is like $7 and if you can afford a $1500 deli slicer you can afford one of those

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BioEnchanted posted:

Looking it up it is pronounced, in vietnamese, with a (amlost but not really) Nya kinda sound. The way it was summarised in the wiki I found was the n as in 'song' but removing the hard g after, + eah as in yeah. Kinda like the japanese meowing onomatopoeia but a little less definite as the tongue hits the roof of the mouth to make it work. Here's the guide I found: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vietnamese/Ng

I think you misread that? It says it's just it's "ing" minus the I, unless it's at the start of a word.

The bit about saying it at the start of a word doesn't make much sense to me though because the way I've been taught to say it (by actual Vietnamese people) is literally just the same as it is in English. In Nguyen, the vowel sounds are a bit unintuitive for an English speaker, but if you know how the letters "ng" are pronounced in English then you know how they're pronounced in Vietnamese. The only difference is that in English it only comes at the end of a syllable but in Vietnamese it can be at the beginning.

But on the other hand, as long as you seem to be making an effort I don't think many people really care. And there's a really low threshold for "effort"; say "newin" instead of" Nguyin" and most people are fine with it.

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 13:01 on Nov 27, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

On a new topic - I just passed a choir doing Queen and it was the most boring rendition of "We will Rock You" I'd ever heard. They used way too sweeping and generic a sound to it, so there was no snap or force behind it. It sounded like a loving church hymn. The has a stress on every third beat for a reason with the stomp stomp clap - it sounds harsh. The song isn't trying to be "nice":

Buddy you're a boy make a big noise playin in the street gonna be a big man someday.

The bolds are the stresses - every second or third note has that rhythmic, pumping, stress because it's beating the lyrics into the audience like the singer is beating it into the hypothetical kid he's addressing. Even a choir can sound angry if directed will enough and it's really the only appropriate way to do that song unless your trying to set a particular mood with it in some other piece of media.

Also the only instrumentation that exists in the song is the stomp stomp clap with the guitar only coming in the last 30 seconds.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Nov 27, 2016

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Last name peeve. I am a courier/delivery driver and every loving time when I get a signature and ask for the name, the person stares blankly at me and says Bob or Anne or Jorge. That is loving AWESOME, man. Have you never signed for poo poo before? I need your last name too!

Even better when the person rolls their eyes and refuses to give it. Or they spell it out way too fast when I ask them to. Because it's my job on the line if their $2000 part is declared missing because Bob Ross signed for it and no one at their location is named Bob Ross. Robert Rossenbergersteinchuckwagonathon, yes.

Our scanners used to save names, so I didn't have to ask for them all the time. It worked until some lazy drivers didn't ask for any names and just plugged in whatever. This worked until someone who hadn't worked for ABC Company for seven months signed for a package, according to the scanners. Boss and his boss and his boss were furious.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Christ I hate feeling groggy and lethargic after only being awake for like 5 hours

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I don't really understand why some people are so goddamn cagey about their names. At my company we need every customer to fill out a waiver before they can actually have any fun and I need to check id's to make sure they actually filled it out accurately. So when Ricky Bobby signs in and refuses to show any ID, or even better when they show ID with their actual name and birth date on it, but refuse to fill out the waiver properly, I get to inform them of just how fun our viewing area is and that they can watch their friends for the duration. Most people just grumble a little and then do things correctly, but I have had a couple stubborn idiots decide they'd rather watch than give out any personal information.

I get that people's identities can be stolen in a variety of ways, but your local go kart track is not likely to be in the business of trafficking your personal info. Through all this I did learn that in some states you are actually allowed to sign your ID however you like. I've seen a couple smiley faces and a star as the signature on people's driver's licenses.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The webdings signature.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Digirat posted:

The webdings signature.

That was my favorite Badam Sambdler movie.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

yo rear end is grass posted:

Thanks for posting this--Kyle Juszczyk is one of my favorite football players and I can never remember how to spell it right. Now it's practically burned into my brain.

The "vent about your petty annoyances" thread is becoming a place of education.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I know this is the most 'old man yells at cloud' peeve ever but...

People who go to a live music event and spend the entire time filming / taking photos with their phones. I went to a rave on Saturday night and people around me spent the entire time snapchatting / taking photos / videos. One girl face-time'd someone when a certain song was playing so they could hear it. I just don't understand how you can possibly enjoy the experience if you're not in the moment. If you spend the whole time trying to record how much of a good time you're having are you really having a good time? Then on Sunday night I was at a concert and pretty much everyone in the moshpit / dancefloor had their phones out; again, Snapchatting, taking selfies, shooting video, but half of them were so hosed up that all they were filming were the backs of people's heads or blurry nothing. If you've paid nearly $100 for a ticket to a show wouldn't you want to absorb the experience and let yourself enjoy the music / performance of the artists? I admit I'll snap a photo or two of the band or DJ during a slow song or if they're talking but that's it. I just don't understand the need to film 75% of a concert or performance or to take a million selfies or post a ton of clips to your snap story. Does anyone ever go back and watch those videos they take? We need to go back to the 90s ethos of dancing with your back to the DJ and just enjoying the music.

Secondary peeve - people who can't handle their drugs. If you're going to get high at a gig don't get so high that you blow-out and pass out in the pit. And if you're going to get super high and things are getting a bit overwhelming go and sit the gently caress down and have some water and get a grip before you try to get back on the dance floor. loving kids these days, I swear.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Inspector 34 posted:

I don't really understand why some people are so goddamn cagey about their names.

Paranoia is a common form of mental illness. I've had people literally cancel their reservations as they're checking in because they get all worked up over our sign-in document that asks them to please not break our furniture or smoke in the rooms. They literally treat it like I'm having them secretly sign away their life savings - "this seems very odd, this is very weird, I'm going to call someone about this before I sign it" [walks out with papers, doesn't come back]. It's really weird. People are loopy.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I really hate how goons have to constantly, and I mean constantly remind you that they're normal, mature adults. It's like everyone is trying to distance themselves from outsider nerd culture to such an extreme that they've reached some weird, "successful uncle at Thanksgiving that won't stop talking about stocks" thing where they won't do or say anything that portrays them as anything but ideologically pure mature adults.

Here's a tip, if you're still posting on a loving forum in 2016 it's literally impossible for you to be a normal person. Cut the poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Low Desert Punk posted:

I really hate how goons have to constantly, and I mean constantly remind you that they're normal, mature adults. It's like everyone is trying to distance themselves from outsider nerd culture to such an extreme that they've reached some weird, "successful uncle at Thanksgiving that won't stop talking about stocks" thing where they won't do or say anything that portrays them as anything but ideologically pure mature adults.

Here's a tip, if you're still posting on a loving forum in 2016 it's literally impossible for you to be a normal person. Cut the poo poo.

Sorry, everything you like is actually for children, unlike the things that I like.

Pet peeve: people who suck at responding to texts. There is no excuse for anyone under 30 to have a reputation for being hard to get a hold of unless they have severe depression or something.