Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Oh man it's this part.

I don't mind saying this was...interesting...when I first played through it given what I knew from Before. It was also at this point that I realized that despite all I knew, I still knew basically nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ukita's secret is probably that he performed a shitton of unethical af experiments. Ena's secret is that she's the terrorist. B-B-But I bet she did it for ~a good cause~ and things just happened to get out of hand.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Recollect: 09/16/2030, 12:37

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

Watase, Kazami, and Jun filed into the room. Ena and Ukita were not far behind. But no one had seen Yuuri.

I checked B2, but I didn't find her.
Me neither...
...So we've really lost sight of her, huh...

The gloomy look on Kazami's face as she said that led Watase to bow his head.

...I'm sorry.
It's not your fault. None of us had any more luck than you did...

Ukita suddenly spoke up when he heard Jun's comment.

A blue branch, with Ukita at 5.

Huh?
This has been bothering me for a while now, but... Yuuri always acted as if she were afraid of you, did she not?
...!

Watase found himself unconsciously raising his voice. Ukita's observation had hit too close to home.

Hmph, I mean what I said. I trust you recall that Yuuri vanished once when were searching Area 3?
What's that got to do with anything?
I've suspected this whole time that Yuuri was in fact trying to run away from you.
What!?
Mr. Ukita... what makes you think that?
Wait, did none of you notice it? Yuuri would always twitch suddenly and tremble whenever Captain Kasasagi talked to her, did she not?
...!

Kazami and Jun's faces froze over.

W-well yeah... she did, but...
It is not uncommon for survivors in disaster sites to be extremely frightened. In fact, this is one of the worst disaster sites I've ever seen... so a reaction like that is fairly normal.
Mmm. I do not mind if that is the way you wish to interpret it. But what about you, Captain Kasasagi? Do you yourself have any clues as to what could have caused such behavior?
N-no...

His voice lacked any strength. Watase had no basis on which to deny Ukita's suspicions. As for why-- it was because he didn't remember anything from before he'd woken up.

(Did I do something horrible to Yuuri... ... before I lost my memories...?)
Well, Captain Kasasagi? Are you absolutely sure that you have no possible Clues to her behavior? In fact, why did you go to the basement in the first place? How did you lose your memories?
W-well...
Amnesia caused by external trauma normally fades away with the progression of time. Yet you show no signs of recovery regardless of how long it's been... do you not find that strange?

Ukita's questioning had turned into an all-out interrogation. Jun chose that moment to cut in.

Mr. Ukita... are you implying something?
I am. It is my belief that-- Captain Kasasagi may be lying about having amnesia.
!!

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

Everyone gasped at that declaration.

Th-that's impossible! Why would he ever need to lie about something like that!?
I believe... that it's because he's trying to hide something. No, if I'm to be completely honest, I've suspected that from the very beginning.
What?
You took my security card from me a few hours ago. As a result, I was unable to leave Area 3. But now that I think about it, that action by itself is considerably strange. Why would you need to steal a security card? Was it because you wanted to do something that you kept secret from us staff members?

This time a blue branch about Watase, who sits at 7.

I would have no way of knowing that, of course. But I cannot help but wonder if it has something to do with the reason Yuuri was so terrified. And there have been multiple murders on top of all that... so it is only natural to be suspicious, no?
I-I've done nothing wrong! Even without my memories, I--
Then go ahead and prove your innocence!
Don't be ridiculous! You're asking the impossible! How the hell is anyone supposed to prove that they have amnesia!? Isn't that right, guys!?

Watase said that and turned to Kazami and the others.

Yes, but...!

Kazami shut her mouth before she could continue.

...But it really is odd that you can't remember anything...

Jun looked at Watase for a moment with a flicker of suspicion.

Ena didn't say a thing.

You can't be serious...!

Watase's feet started to shake when he saw their reactions.

Do you understand now, Captain Kasasagi? It isn't just Yuuri; -everyone- is scared.
B-but... I really...
What's that? Then are you saying you can explain your actions from before you lost your memories!?
U-ughh...!

Watase groaned. He was bitter that he had no comeback to that. Frustrated that he couldn't remember anything. And above all else-- He desired from the bottom of his heart to know what he had indeed been doing.

(Dammit, what... what in the world was I doing? What the hell was I--!?)

But just as Watase thought this--

Light burst open in his head.

Ghh!

Watase instinctively held his head.

...What is it?
!?
Captain!?
What's wrong!?

The rest of the group called out to Watase, but their voices sounded distant to him.

Ugh, agh... Aaaaghh...

His sense of time simultaneously lost all normality. As if every second were as long as an eternity, and an eternity was as short as a second...!

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

He heard a voice echo through the darkness.

???: --Captain, we've discovered survivors in the basement-- Get down here right away!

Watase sprung off into a run when he heard those voices. There was a watch right in his line of sight. The hands pointed to ''6:42''. And right after his memory of seeing the time--

(... Huh...!?)

A hazy scene emerged from the darkness.

♪ BGM: Extra-Sensory Perception

Watase was running through some connecting passageway.

(What the hell is this...!?)

There were two men in protection suits running along with him.

Rescue Worker 1: I heard footsteps coming from this way!
(Are these... ''Dojima'' and ''Hiyama''...!?)

Their voices were muffled, so he had a hard time making out what they were saying. His field of vision was also foggy. It was then that Watase finally realized it.

(... I get it. I'm also wearing a protection suit...!)

Boy: Ah!

He heard a boy's voice through his protection suit.

--It's a rescue squad!

The boy shouted that as soon as he saw Watase and the others.

They must have gotten a report and came to rescue us!
We... we're saved! Heeey theeere, please save uuuus!

One of the girls jumped for joy and waved at Watase and the others. Next to her was one other person: a blonde haired girl.

Survivors!

Watase and the others ran up to them.

You kids sure as heck aren't staff members. What're you doing down here?
We happened to be down here by coincidence and got caught up in all this.
Is there anyone else with you?
No, just the three of us.
What're your names?
He's Natsuhiko and I'm Mashiro. And this one's Salyu.
Salyu?
A nickname. Comes from Louise Yui Sannomiya.
I see...

The watch's hands were pointing to ''6:52''. --The scenery in front of him swayed and vanished at that moment--

We get a flash to white.

And then images flashed by one after another.

(This is--)

They were sights Watase had seen just a few hours ago.

Fragments of his lost memories.

Watase is saying these things. We then get another flash to white.

I'm a rescue worker. I'm here to save you. Here, take this. It's medicine.
N-no!
You can't be that way! You'll be in danger if you don't take this! Please, don't struggle!

Another flash to white.

...Ghh!? M... my head...!

Ghh, ghhhhh...!

...AAAAAAAAAAGH!

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

Watase screamed again as he returned to reality.

Captain! Captain, please calm down!
Huh, ah... ah!?

Kazami's voice brought him back to his senses. He realized that he was now back where he'd started; the neuroscience laboratory.

Y-you okay!?
...Y-yeah... I'm okay.

Watase took a deep breath, then spoke.

M-more importantly... I just remembered.
...Huh?
Wait, does that mean!?
...My memory came back.
...What!?

Ukita's eyes widened.

I-impossible...! Your memories just came back all at once?
No, only a few of them, but still...!
Hold on, what are you trying to say!?
Nothing really. But I may have remembered exactly what I need to prove my innocence.
Wha... t...?

Watase then slowly began to talk.

...I'll go through everything in order... The reason I went to the basement... was because Dojima and Hiyama called for me. Yes, I think they called me over the radio and told me... that there were survivors in the basement.
When was this!?
Let me think... oh right, it was at 6:42 AM.
6:42 AM...? Are you absolutely sure about that?
Yeah.

The hands were pointing to exactly 6:42. There was no mistake about that.

Uh, I think I have a problem with how this is going down. As far as I can tell, this is a bit of a flub in the game itself - Watase checked his clock twice in that memory, once when going down to the basement, and once after running into Natsuhiko and the gang. It was 6:42 in the former moment and 6:52 in the latter, and it seems the game got its signals mixed a bit here. At least I'm pretty drat sure this isn't an intentional inconsistency. If it were, it'd probably be less blatant.

There was something about that part that felt slightly off to him-- but he decided to trust his memories.

To note, there is something off here that will actually be important, but him thinking of Natsuhiko and the gang and seeing a watch at 6:42 isn't it, that's just a mistake. Don't try to work out what's off, either. You don't have the knowledge to work it out. But remember this memory scene for later.

Salyu?
It's Louise Yui Sannomiya's nickname. I think she said it came from her full name somehow.

His memories of that time were gradually growing clearer and clearer. He was sure that was the name that Natsuhiko and Mashiro had called her by.

It's just like he says... Mr. Tenkawa and Ms. Toba did call her by that name.

Ena added that. Kazami then spoke as if she'd also remembered something.

Come to think of it, we spotted those survivors...
...in the basement of Area 2, right?
Really?
...I can't be sure, but the times almost match up. The Captain and the others may not have been too far from us when we were putting out those fires.
Yeah, maybe you're right...

Watase nodded, then continued.

Anyway, Dojima, Hiyama, and I took Natsuhiko and the others under our protection and continued rescue efforts. But I couldn't stay in the basement forever. I felt I had to get back to the surface soon. So I left Natsuhiko and the others in Dojima and Hiyama's care and was heading back for the surface by myself... When I suddenly came across Yuuri.
What happened after that!?
I took her under my protection and tried to bring her up to the surface with me. But she started struggling when I tried to inject her with some AD... and then she ran off.
Struggling? Why?
That's something I didn't know even back then...

Silence hung in the air for a moment-- but then Jun's voice broke it apart.

But now that I think about it, Yuuri always was against being injected with AD.
True... it was the same regardless of whether the Captain or I tried to do it.
That's right. Then when I was starting to get confused over Yuuri's rejections... she managed to break free of my grasp and run away. I went around looking for her immediately. I then ended up near Area N. But then my head just started hurting like crazy...!
A headache? Could that have been from radiation damage?
I don't know... it felt like my head had received some sort of shock... ...Maybe someone hit me.
But who did it?
Please be clear! This is the part that really matters!
I'm sorry, I really don't know!
...!

Watase unintentionally raised his voice, putting Ena into a startled silence.

...Though my memory is back, that part is extremely fragmented... I don't remember when it was or much of the details. But... I can say this and this alone with clear confidence.

Watase looked square at everyone.

I tried to save Yuuri. You may not believe me... but that fact's never changed, not even now.

And with that, Watase's long story came to an end. It wasn't long before Ukita snorted.

...Hmph, such unreliable memories, wouldn't you agree? Can you prove everything you've just told us is true?

As soon as Ukita said that-— one of Watase's memories came back to mind.

There was this much AD being kept inside the facility too...?

What!?
I found a large stock of AD in the facility before I lost my memories.
What!? Where!?
It was...

His memory became clearer in the blink of an eye. The fragmented images linked together like pieces of a puzzle to reveal a familiar location to Watase.

...Right, it was in Area 5's inner ring on 82.
That's the contaminated zone you and I searched earlier!
Yeah. It was in the room where we found those five AD-- Mrs. Miyoko Tenkawa's office. We didn't see it, but there's still a shitload of AD in that room. It should be in one of the desk drawers.

He was nigh-certain of that. There was no way he could have remembered such a vivid memory incorrectly.

If that AD's still there now... then that should prove I was telling the truth.
...!

Ukita shut up at Watase's declaration. Jun and Kazami quickly spoke up.

I-I'll go check it out!
I'm coming too!

They then rushed out of the neuroscience laboratory.

--Kazami and Jun returned, their arms full of medical boxes.

Captain... they really were in that room.
How much did you find?
Try not to get surprised... but there were 30 AD amongst six medical boxes.
Th-thirty!? That's incredible!!

Everyone's eyes widened at that piece of news. Watase was also surprised, but found himself breaking out into a genuine smile. That was much more AD than he'd been expecting.

30 ampules... seriously? That's 30 hours worth of AD...
Yes! Now we don't have to worry about running out of AD for the time being!
Yeah! And it also proves that the Captain was telling the truth! Isn't that right, Mr. Ukita!?
--

Ukita looked away awkwardly.

...Do you believe me now, old man? I never once intended to hurt Yuuri, to say the least of everyone else.
...If I really were a bad person, then I would've kept that AD hidden without telling you guys about it, right? But instead, I was honest and let everyone know... please trust me.

As soon as Watase's earnest pleas reached Ukita's ears-- the latter finally started talking with a bitter tone in his voice.

A blue branch about Jun, who sits at 8.

It felt like there was still a glimmer of doubt in his eyes, but--

(As long as he understands, then that's all I need...)

Jun then walked over to Watase.

U-Um, Captain... sorry I didn't believe you right away.

Nah, don't worry, it was no big deal.
But even though it was just for a sec... I still doubted that you actually had amnesia...

He may have indeed looked guilty from another's perspective.

(Maybe it'd be best if I avoided doing anything that makes me look suspicious to the others from now on...)

Watase thought that as Kazami and the others spoke.

I believed you. You should be scolding Moribe.

Liar. You were doubting him just as much.

Really? I'll be honest; I thought the whole amnesia thing was bullshit from the beginning.
Oh c'mon, Teach... I see you're as blunt as always.
Well, it was more like I was on the fence about the issue. But it looks like you were telling the truth, and that you really did get some of your memory back. Why don't you just think of this as a rare and valuable experience?
H-hey...!
Positive thinking has its limits, you know.
But it is indeed a valuable experience.

The group laughed slightly at those words. It was more of a fake laugh intended to try to make them all forget about the events of the last few minutes, but it still relieved Watase. Their escape route had been cut off, another body had been found, and they'd lost Yuuri on top of all that... everyone was starting to get on edge. And their exhaustion was just piling up. So it was pretty much inevitable that a few arguments would pop up.

(That's right, I shouldn't worry about it. Everyone falling to pieces would be the worst possible situation at a time like this. And besides, the search isn't over yet...)

As a result, Watase forced himself to end his train of thought on the whole matter right then and there.

Alright, with that done, we have one more point of business to attend to...

VOTING - LIGHTNING ROUND

Now, the next chapter will have a blue branch involving most characters, so this is a good opportunity to give one more overhaul to our general Senses. As you might be seeing, there are less yellow branches popping up - in fact, that one yellow branch about Yuuri I skipped over was apparently our only opportunity to get a bad end in this entire chapter. From what I can tell, there is a concentration of bad ends and that kind of stuff in Chapter 3, and now that we've cased the entire area and taken care of most of the immediate dangers (by starting the sprinkler system and finding 30 AD), it's time to let the immediate danger rest a bit and let intrigue and the like fester a bit - like you've seen in this chapter.

With that in mind, let's re-evaluate how we feel about our motley crew of adventurers. There were quite a few revelations about a few characters in those last few bits that I'm sure have had an impact on your perception of those characters. That's one of the big things the Senses system is supposed to accomodate - constantly changing feelings about certain characters as time goes on and more things get revealed.

Now, what do I mean with ''lightning round''? Well, I want to keep working on this. I've cranked out a ton of poo poo the last two days due to having taken them off from work (not because of LPing, obviously, because of Thanksgiving and it not being a German holiday but there still being a Thanksgiving dinner hosted by the local American Legion chapter to attend), and I want to continue this high wave of output into the weekend. Basically, I'll quit working for today (it's 9 PM over here right now), give you some time to vote, but will continue working on recording the next batch of footage at about the same time as I usually do, being about 3 PM the next day over here. So that's less than a day, but I think we can get enough votes in during that time to not make it super one-sided.

So, it's time to vote. Pick between Top, High, Middle, Low or Bottom for Watase, Kazami, Jun, Yuuri, Ena, Ukita, and those meddling kids (so Natsuhiko, Mashiro and Louise still count as one by virtue of hardly showing up yet).

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 25, 2016

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Yuuri - Top
Watase - Low
Kazami - Top
Jun - Top
Ukita - Bottom
Ena - Middle
Mashiro - High
Natsuhiko - High
Salyu - High

I'll share my thoughts later, but I'm cramped for time.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Watase is really just setting himself up for disappointment. But alright.

High Watase
Top Kazami
Top Jun
High Yuuri
High Ena :unsmigghh:
Low Ukita
Mashiro - High
Natsuhiko - High
Salyu - Low

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Watase - High
Jun - Top
Kazami - Top
Yuuri - High
Ena - Low
Ukita - Bottom
Kids - Middle

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

TheMcD in the first update posted:

--he came face to face with a "monster"--

♪ BGM: The Truth is Revealed

The monster took hold of his wrist.

???: ...Ha.

The monster looked at him and laughed. The man spotted a broken wristwatch out of the corner of his eye. At that moment, just as an indescribable fear sent shivers down his spine--

Captain: !!

A red flash.

He was assaulted by an intense pain akin to his brain being crushed.

Captain: Agh, GAAAAAAH!!

The man screamed, faced with an agony unlike anything he had ever felt before. He struggled to understand the source of the pain amidst the confusion engulfing him.

Captain: Th-that was...!? My head, it can't be... not you too!

His well-toned body proved helpless in the face of that power.

Captain: (You... you damned monster!)

So uh, without making any specific accusations, we might want to take out Natsuhiko when we see him, or at least stick him with handcuffs or something.

Yuuri - Top
Watase - Middle
Kazami - Top
Jun - Top
Ukita - Low
Ena - High
Mashiro - High
Natsuhiko - Low
Salyu - High

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Yuuri - Middle
Watase - High
Kazami - Top
Jun - Top
Ukita - Bottom
Ena - Low
Kids - Middle

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Jun-Top
Kazami-Middle
Ena-Middle
Everyone else-High

because we're on a roll with getting the Jun scenes and I don't want to blow the sequence.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Jun - Top
Ukita - Bottom

Because like whitehelm said we're getting the Jun scenes so far.

And because gently caress Ukita, he's an rear end in a top hat. The rest of the people I don't have any idea what to vote for, so I'll abstain.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Jun- Top
Jun has been trustworthy this whole time, and I don't think it's gonna stop.

Watase- Top
No reason to not be self-confident.

Kazami- High-Top (So, 7)
Kazami's been the voice of reason (barring the whole CPR on a dead chick thing) so she needs to be kept high.

Yuuri- High
She needs the emotional support of our trust. Plus, she's adorable!

Ukita- Middle
He seems shady, but I don't think he's a bad guy. He's probably a good guy stuck in a bad situation.

Ena- Bottom
Miss Teacher Breasts, on the other hand, has "I'M HIDING SOMETHING" written plain across her face.

Natsuhiko- Bottom-Low (1)
We've barely seen him, but he does seem incredibly suspicious. He does seem a bit better than Ena.

Louise- Low
That picture of her in a fire does make me think she might have something to hide. Pyromaniac? Pyromancer? Something like that.

Mashiro- Middle-High (5)
I think she's pretty safe. Nothing seems... Wrong about her, at the very least.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Ukita - Low

We need to grill the hell out of him, he clearly knows things but hasn't been telling us poo poo about them when we've been giving him the benefit of the doubt.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Watase: Top
Cell B: High
Yuuri: High
Ukita: Medium
Ena: Low
Those meddling kids: Medium

We've been getting to the point that having Watase higher is good more often than not, the rescue team has been nothing but trustworthy (plus we need to finish the Jun scenes), we need to regain Yuuri's trust, Ukita seems to have something going on (but appears to have his heart in the right place), I've never trusted Ena, and those kids have caused a lot of bother and are getting more suspicious by the minute.

In non-voting news, while I'm sure it has already been noted, it was interesting that when Watase had his headache after catching up with Yuuri, his thoughts intermingled with the 3rd-person narration. Also, it appears that the fuzzy image of the showdown with the 'monster' has him holding the gun, as opposed to the intro which depicted Watase with the weapon (though that was a significantly less fuzzy image). EDIT: On reviewing, that was just a flawed analysis based on an unclear image. Watase was going to shoot first.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 26, 2016

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Well something sure is slightly off here even without the 10 minute discrepancy. Going by the first update, the watch was already broken at 6:19 (and 30 seconds if that bottom dial is the actual seconds counter, not that I know anything about complicated watches) yet here's Watase looking at a pristine watch at 6:42 and 6:52. However, 6:19 was the time of the first explosion, so Watase and his watch couldn't have been there. I suppose this means both Watase and the "monster" coincidentally had the same kind of watch. Having seen a broken watch and yet looking at working one later on might be what's bugging... uh, our protagonist in Watase's body.

Also, somehow I didn't notice it until now, but the rescue team had nice differently colored armbands over the protection suits. I didn't notice any suspicious switcheroos or anything about them so far, but it's good to know. Lines like this make more sense now: "He didn't recognize their face. But he could tell with a glance... that this was their other squadmate who'd went to the basement-- ''Hiyama''."

The terrorist plot somehow smells like a half-red herring to me. Terrorists being involved in some way seems about right but I don't get the feeling that anyone here is one. Well, except maybe pre-amnesia Watase, who knows.

Watase high
Kazami high
Jun top
Yuuri top
Ena high
Ukita middle
kids high

I don't think Ena is anything besides who she says she is. She seems to jump to conclusions sometimes but not malicious. If she's hiding something I'm guessing it's probably something she thinks is a bigger deal than it actually is. I want to know what happens if we trust her more.

Ukita is the hardest to decide. He has been rational the whole time. Nothing he said just now was actually wrong, Watase is clearly the most suspicious person in the group. Still, it might be better for our own sake to keep some distance from him.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, the votes are tallied and the recording has actually been ongoing for about 27 minutes before I remembered that I should probably officially close the voting.

EDIT: Footage has been recorded. All 2 hours and 15 god drat minutes of it.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 26, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

9-3: 09/16/2030, 12:42

...Okay, now that we've got my story cleared up, there's something more important we need to discuss.
You're talking about Ms. Yuuri, aren't you?
Yeah. It's far too dangerous for her to be wandering around this huge facility.

Everyone nodded and focused on the conversation.

And there's also Natsuhiko and the others to worry 'bout too. We've looked all over LABO and still haven't found them...
Then either they really are moving around, or we missed them somewhere.
Perhaps we should revise our search strategy...

Ukita quietly spoke after he heard Ena say this.

...Isn't locating AD still essential?
Huh?
Have you not noticed? Just because we obtained 30 AD does not mean we have enough. With the lift out of commission, our only hope is to wait for the lockdown to end. But we need to inject ourselves with five more doses of AD to survive until then.
I see... so when you add Yuuri and those three high schoolers into the mix, that makes nine of us in total...
Then we can only survive another three hours!?

Watase and the others gasped as that reality hit them. Indeed. Not everyone would survive if the AD they had here was all that was left.

(It'd be a different story if we just stole someone else's AD before they could take it, though... ...!!)

Horror at what he'd just thought immediately hit Watase in full force. --It felt like a life-and-death game of ''musical chairs'' would inevitably break out at this rate.

Alright, so what did everybody decide on?

code:
Watase:

Top:    II
High:   IIIII
Middle: I
Low:    I
Bottom: 

Result: ((2*8)+(5*6)+(1*4)+(1*2)+(0*0))/9 = 5.777 = 6

Kazami:

Top:    IIIII
To-Hi:  I
High:   II
Low:    
Bottom: 

Result: ((5*8)+(1*7)+(2*6)+(1*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/9 = 7 = 7

Jun:

Top:    IIIIIIIII
High:   I
Middle: 
Low:    
Bottom: 

Result: ((9*8)+(1*6)+(0*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/10 = 7.8 = 8

Yuuri:

Top:    III
Low:    
Bottom: 

Result: ((3*8)+(5*6)+(1*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/9 = 6.444 = 6

Ena:

Top:    
High:   III
Middle: II
Low:    III
Bottom: I

Result: ((0*8)+(3*6)+(2*4)+(3*2)+(1*0))/9 = 3.555 = 4

Ukita:

Top:    
High:   I
Middle: III
Low:    III
Bottom: IIII

Result: ((0*8)+(1*6)+(3*4)+(3*2)+(4*0))/11 = 2.18 = 2

Natsuhiko:

Top:    
High:   IIII
Low:    I
Lo-Bo:  I
Bottom: 

Result: ((0*8)+(4*6)+(3*4)+(1*2)+(1*1)+(0*0))/9 = 4.333 = 4

Mashiro:

Top:    
Hi-Mi:  I
Low:    
Bottom: 

Result: ((0*8)+(5*6)+(1*5)+(3*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/9 = 5.222 = 5

Salyu:

Top:    
High:   IIII
Low:    II
Bottom: 

Result: ((0*8)+(4*6)+(3*4)+(2*2)+(0*0))/9 = 4.444 = 4
Well, a lot of stuff here, though there's a lot that stayed mostly the same. Jun is still top dog, Watase, Kazami and Yuuri are still high... the main difference is that Ukita took a nosedive. Ena is steadily climbing up, and the kids went down a bit.

So that's what our Senses look like now. Watase and Yuuri aren't in this here, but I'll just fix that later.

If they tried to use the 30 ampules of AD to survive for the remaining five hours, that'd be 30 ampules/5 hours = enough for 6 people. Only six could survive. The other three would be doomed to their fate. --''9-3 = 6''-- Watase worked out that sinister formula in his head.

(N-no! I mustn't think about that!)

Watase frantically dismissed the thought had that filled his mind for a second.

(I need to be thinking of a way where everyone can survive.)

Watase thought that as he checked his Procyon. The reading said ''4531 mSv''.

...If the contamination keeps on increasing at this rate, the whole facility may eventually be filled with over 8000 mSv.
If that happens, then it'll be the same as not having any AD at all, huh...
This is bad! What should we do!?
...There are four possible ways we can go about this.

Kazami said that, then looked everyone dead in the eye.

1: 'prioritize finding an escape route'. 2: 'look for an escape route while searching for all the survivors, including Ms. Yuuri, and AD'. 3: 'look for the damaged portions of the gates and repair them in order to suppress the rate of contamination'. 4: 'look for everything: an escape route, AD, the damaged gates, and the survivors, including Ms. Yuuri'. By choosing which path to take... we may be deciding our own doom.

Everyone gulped. Watase then answered in a low voice.

First of all, #4's plan of 'searching for everything' is unrealistic... I feel like it wouldn't yield any results, what with everything we'd have to do.
Indeed... and #3, the idea to 'repair the damaged parts of the gates to suppress the rate of contamination' is also out of the question. I've stated this before, but I do not believe that emergency repairs would be enough to hold back the contamination.
Then that leaves #1 and #2. Should we put priority on 'finding an escape route' or 'searching for an escape route while looking for the survivors and AD'...?
Isn't that obvious!? We go with #2! We don't know if another escape route actually exists, but Mr. Tenkawa and the others are definitely down here!
I'm with you on that one. There's just too big of a risk in searching only for an escape route.
I agree. And besides-- Yuuri shouldn't have any AD on her, so we need to find her as soon as possible.

Everyone nodded gravely at that suggestion.

...Then we've decided to 'look for an escape route as we search for Ms. Yuuri, the other survivors, and AD' by process of elimination. Is everyone all right with that?
I'm good with that.

And with that, everyone was on the same page. Watase quickly moved on to the next agenda.

Then let's search through LABO one more time. Leave no stone unturned.
Should we search in the same direction as last time? Or would it be better to go the other way around?
But that wouldn't be effective, and besides, there's a chance we'll just miss each other again.
Then let's split into two teams- one that searches the areas clockwise, and one other that searches them counterclockwise. How's that sound?
I see... now we can split up into smaller teams without anything to worry 'bout now that the fires are out. That also lowers our chances of missing the survivors.
Oh yeah, now that I think about it, we found another Procyon in Area 6. We can use this to split up into three teams, but is that feasible...?

A yellow path, asking us about Ena, Jun and Kazami.

We cannot risk the danger of one of us getting lost. We should stick with two teams.

Watase mulled over the situation once he heard Kazami's reasoning.

(Then how should we split up the teams...?)

He then quickly came to a conclusion.

Moribe, old man... you good with teaming up with me?
Sure... I don't particularly have anything against it.

There was a discerning look in Ukita's eyes as he said that.

(I knew it... the old man really does still doubt me...)

He'd been hoping that Jun's cheerfulness would have a positive influence on Ukita, but it didn't look that way.

Let's work hard together, Mr. Ukita.
Yes, looking forward to working with you.

It seemed there were no problems between Jun and Ukita for the time being.

Then that means me and Ms. Tachibana will be on the other team. How're we going to go about searching?
I have an idea about that.

Kazami took out her PDA and began explaining.

We're currently in Area 5, so one team will head in the direction of Area 4 while the other will head in the direction of Area 6.
Then where will we rendezvous?
There's a chance we'll miss each other, so why don't we use this laboratory as the meeting point?

I believe that we should set off again if we lap around the facility and still haven't found the survivors. If something unexpected happens or if you yield no results after having searched for a whole hour, come back here for the time being.
Sounds good. That way we won't have to worry about getting separated.
What about the AD? Should we take it all with us?

Jun was talking about the 30 AD they'd just found.

No... it'd be best to leave them here. We'll be in real trouble if any of them break for whatever reason, after all... And there's also a chance the survivors will come here. Then they can get some AD at the very least.
Then let's have everyone carry two ampules each for two hours worth.

Kazami said that, then gave the rest of the group two AD for each member.

...Oh, while we're on it, I have another idea, if you don't mind.

Ena took a pen and paper lying around in the room, then started writing on it.

--She wrote that charming little letter in cute handwriting.

...Well? It'll lower our chances of just missing them if we post this on the door.
Yeah, that's a great idea.
Okay then, now let's get on with splitting up the equipment.

The group nodded, then split up the gear they'd acquired so far. First, there were the security cards-- Watase held on to the Level N card they'd found a short while ago. Kazami, Jun, Ena, and Ukita each took a Level 6 card. Watase's team also took two of the Procyons, while Kazami's team took the third.

Then we'll be headed towards Area 6, so you guys go towards Area 4.
Roger. Ms. Tsubakiyama, let's go.
Got it.

Ena posted the note she'd written on the door, then left the room with Kazami.

...Then we should get going too, right?
Yeah.
...Indeed.

Ukita's voice seemed a bit harsh, just as Watase had expected.

(I hope I can clear up this misunderstanding with him, but I'm not counting on it...)

Watase left the room with Jun and Ukita as he kept those tiny fears in his heart.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Repair: 09/16/2030, 12:46

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

No one here from what I can see...
But there's also a possibility that Yuuri went running this way.
Yeah, and we've also gotta find anything that can help us locate an escape route. Time's a wasting, so let's all search quickly.

It was just as Jun said. Just because they'd found a ton of AD didn't change the fact they were short on time.

Hm, why am I making a picture of this line in particular? No real reason...

As he thought to himself, Watase finally entered the factory.

It was the security gate in the corner. Behind it was that small room with the emergency lift, the one where they'd found the body of that girl.

Hmm? Hey Captain, something wrong?
Oh, well, it's just, about that cargo lift... l was wondering if there was any way we could still use it to get out of here.
Huh? But the control panel's totally busted, right?
But I was just wondering if maybe we could repair it and use it to get the surface. That sound feasible, old man?
Mmm... I don't feel confident enough to pull that off.

Now that he mentioned it, Ukita had failed to repair that security slot earlier.

But this is the only escape route we know about, so I think it's still worth a try, wouldn't you say?
True. I'm good at handiwork, so maybe it'll just be a simple repair job.
I see... then let's leave this up to Moribe.
Then it's settled. Let's go, guys.

The three then headed off to the cargo lift room together.

--The girl's body was still there, exactly the way they'd left it.

The team looked at her and offered a silent prayer, then walked up to the control panel.

Jun took her army knife out.

Then I'll go check the shaft while you're doing that. Sound good?
What do you mean?
Maybe there a ladder or something in there we can use to climb up the shaft. You know, like the other elevators.
Oh, I get it.
What should I do?
Hmm... I'm sorry, but I'd like you to search the factory itself. I know you just searched it a little while ago, but let's just try to play it safe.
Mmm... very well.

Ukita then left the room.

Okay then, ready to go to work?
Yeah!

Watase nodded and ran over to the lift doors. He placed his hands on the slide between them and put all his might into his arms.

Mmph!!

A yellow path about Jun at 8 and Watase at 7 (because I forgot to set it down because I am not very smart).

But unlike the normal elevator doors, these ones didn't budge an inch.

Mmm, looks like it's locked...
But we'll be able to open them if I fix the control panel. I'll be doing the repairs, so how 'bout you help Mr. Ukita out?

Right after that branch, we get another yellow one. This one is to trigger another Jun scene...

I'll call you over when I'm done, so just wait a bit, okay?

...and it kicks in right here.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Best Friend

When the body of the girl crossed his line of sight.

A thought suddenly crossed his head, and so he called out to Jun.

...Moribe.

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

Hmm?
Are you sure you'll be okay in here all by yourself...?
Huh? What do you mean by th...

Jun suddenly gulped before she could finish. It seemed she'd only just now remembered she was alone with a body.

Every time you see a body... you get really down, so...

Jun's face froze over at Watase's comment. But-— she quickly shook her head as if to wipe that away.

...Yeah, you're right. I really am weak, huh? Makes me remember Dojima and Hiyama...
You shouldn't be so down on yourself. Anyone would be that way after seeing something like that...

Jun laughed slightly.

...You sure don't look that way. You look totally fine.
I don't think I'd say that...
But you've seen just as many bodies as we have, yet you don't show any sorrow and just keep leading us on. You really are way stronger than I am, even without memories. ...I'm sorry for looking down on you when this whole thing began. You really are our captain, amnesia or not.

Watase couldn't help but let his true feelings out when he saw Jun look so guilty.

...You've got it all wrong.
Huh?
I just don't feel sad, that's all. Dojima and Hiyama died so cruelly, but it just doesn't feel real to me at all... more like something that happened in a TV show... So I have no right at all to be called 'strong'. Maybe I just don't understand the value of life very well to begin with...

Jun then cut in before Watase could say any more.

But you still tried to save Yuuri, remember?
Huh?
There's no way in hell someone who didn't understand the value of life would be so desperate about trying to save someone. The only reason you're not sad... is just because you lost your memories and forgot about Dojima and Hiyama, right?
But... both you and Tachibana were practically grieving on the spot when you saw this girl, didn't you? Yet I didn't. So maybe I really don't...

When Watase looked over at the girl's body, Jun also glanced at the girl for a second.

Well... I don't think it was as hard on me as it was on the Lieutenant, but I'm sure it's because... ...this girl kinda looks like Nagisa...
...!?

Watase felt extreme surprise when he heard that. ''Nagisa'' was Kazami's little sister who'd passed away almost ten years ago. So for Jun to say that they ''looked alike'' meant that--

M-Moribe... was that Nagisa an acquaintance of yours?
An acquaintance? Not even close. She was my best friend.
...!

Watase gasped. Jun continued with a depressed frown.

...Actually, she was more like a little sister than a best friend. There was a bit of a gap in our ages, y'see. The lieutenant was like my older sister while Nagisa was like my little sister. The three of us felt like family. So Nagisa had a huge influence on both me and the Lieutenant... When I look at this girl, it just reminds me of Nagisa’s face at her funeral all those years ago...
Then I really should stay here, shouldn't I...?
Just because you're a rescue worker doesn't mean you have to always keep your heart hardened for as long as you live, right?

Watase could see a pondering look pass by Jun's face for a moment-- But her eyes soon lit up.

...Captain, thanks for being so considerate of me. But I wouldn't be able to call myself a rescue worker anymore if I accepted your offer. Hurry, go on and help Mr. Ukita. I'll be okay.

Watase was still worried-- but he couldn't deny Jun of her determination. So he made up his mind.

All right... but call for me right away if something happens.
Roger!

And with that typical exchange between them, Watase left the room.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Repair: 09/16/2030, 12:46 - Part 2

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

The latter flinched when he noticed Watase.

Wh-what's wrong? How'd the inspection of the shaft go?
I couldn't open the doors. So I came to help you search the place.
...I see.

Ukita looked away in what appeared to be irritation.

(What's his problem...? Is he still bothered by our argument earlier?)

That thought worried Watase. He searched the factory, trying to give Ukita some space. --The two then silently searched the factory for a while-- Only for that silence to be abruptly broken by the echo of Jun's voice.

Captain! Mr. Ukita!

The pair looked to find Jun running over to them from the cargo lift room.

What's up?
Are you done fixing the lift?
Sorry, it was a no-go. I just don't have enough parts to fix it.
What do you mean?
The parts I need are just gone. Like the internal wiring was ripped out or something. It would take a lot of time and effort just to fix it.
I see... whoever broke it sure thought things through, that's for sure.
So what now? We could try taking apart the nearby machines to whip up the right wiring or parts for something like this, but...
Would that take a while?
I'll be honest: I have no clue how long that'd take. I don't know if we have the right kind of parts on hand.

Ukita then picked that moment to cut in.

No... I believe it'd be better for us to go find the survivors first if our other option is betting on an admittedly unstable factor.
Hmm, what to do... honestly, I do think the old man's point is valid.
Yeah. It'd be a whole 'nother story if this were a regular dispatch, but here, the longer it takes for us to find them, the more the survivors' cumulative exposure increases.
Okay... then let's consider the whole lift thing again after we've found the survivors.
Yeah! Okay, now that we're done searching the factory, let's move on to the inner ring!
Roger.

The team then headed for the inner ring.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I just want to comment since it has already appeared in the terrorists discussion thing is that " Pose the Question to this World" is the best track in the game for me, it gets me so pumped up.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

IceBorg posted:

I just want to comment since it has already appeared in the terrorists discussion thing is that " Pose the Question to this World" is the best track in the game for me, it gets me so pumped up.

It's definitely up there for me as well. I generally prefer the more low-key tracks like Peacemaker and Words of Healing, but Pose the Question to this World is one of my favorite intense tracks, up there with Approaching Death.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Seek: 09/16/2030, 12:52

It'd been nearly an hour since they last searched this place.

Let's split up and search B1 and 82 to make sure we don't miss the survivors by accident.
Roger that. Then I'll search B1.

The emergency staircase there was out of commission, but Jun would probably have no problem climbing the rope in the stairwell.

Thanks, I'll leave that to you.
No prob, just leave it to me.

Jun immediately headed for the stairwell.

...Then we should start our search as well.
Yeah.

Watase and Ukita then began looking though B2. --But seeing as how it hadn't been long since Watase last searched the area, nothing in particular stuck out. Jun soon came back from B1.

A blue branch, asking us about Jun and Watase. I still forget to set Watase to 6. Good thing that it doesn't really matter all that much.

Nothing. How about you?
Nada. I searched as hard as I could since it was my first time there and all, but no luck... Geez, where the heck could Natsuhiko and the others be?

Jun looked a little down.

The fact that we haven't found the survivors is actually a bit of a blessing in disguise.
Huh?
Doesn't that mean the survivors are constantly moving and therefore still full of energy? I think that's much better than collapsing due to radiation exposure.
I-I see... yeah, I guess you can think of it that way too, huh?
But it may be too optimistic. However...
It's much better for us to have hope than to throw it away.
Got that right.

The team nodded. Now that they were searching for a second time, their fatigue was catching up with them. It was very easy to get discouraged when searching the same place all over again.

And who knows, maybe Tachibana and Teach already found them. Shouldn't we keep going on with that hope in mind?

Watase finished cheering up his companions and headed on towards the next site, Area 1.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 30, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

An Injury: 09/16/2030, 12:56

They had returned to the place where Watase had first woken up. They split up again and searched the floor, but--

Nothing of value on this floor either, huh?
Then let's head down to B1 this ti...

Watase suddenly picked up a faint sound before he could finish.

...?
Hmm? Is something the matter?
No... I just thought I heard someone's footsteps or something...
Huh!? From where!?

Watase tried to make out where he'd heard the footsteps.

I can't be sure about this... but I think they came from the stairwell...!
Think it's one of the survivors!?
No, it could be Ms. Tachibana and Ms. Tsubakiyama for all we know.
I dunno, but we'd better take a look!

The team ran for the stairwell in high spirits.

The fireproof door on B1 was wide open. The room was dimly illuminated by the light leaking in through that opening. There was no one to be found at the top of the stairs or behind the shadows of the staircase.

...No one's here?
Mmm, maybe I was just imagining things.
You don't know that for sure. Maybe they went up.

The team ascended the staircase as they talked, with Watase in the front, Ukita in the middle, and Jun in the back. But at that moment-- They heard a sound cutting through the air above them.

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Watase looked up in surprise. He then saw something falling down from the top of the stairw-

Captain, look out!!

Jun screamed.

Wha!?

Watase suddenly felt someone shove him from behind, causing him to fall forward. And merely a second later, he heard a heavy thud coming from the rear!

Kah... agh!

Watase turned around in shock to see a mysterious object hit Jun's back. It was a cluster of concrete with several thin reinforcing bars sticking out of it. Jun then staggered--

Ah!

Watase tried to grab her, but it was too late.

--!!

Jun fell down the stairs, only stopping at B2's landing.

Mo... Moribe!
A—are you all right!?

Watase and Ukita hurried down the stairs, their faces pale.

Jun groaned faintly. She had apparently lost consciousness. Watase checked her, and soon found blood oozing from her back. She'd been impaled on one of the reinforcing bars from the debris.

Dammit! What the hell just happened!?

Watase looked upstairs. But with all the darkness filling the stairwell, he couldn't spot anyone.

(Did the ceiling collapse again!?) It's too dangerous here, old man! Let's get Moribe to a safe place for now!
G-got it!

Watase carried Jun on his back and ran out the stairwell.

...man, that was quick.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 30, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Medical Care: 09/16/2030, 13:00

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

Watase laid Jun down in one of the rooms.

Moribe, are you okay!? Can you hear me!?

Jun didn't wake up no matter how much he called out to her. Watase could tell by the red blotch spreading on her clothes that the wound on her back was bleeding.

Dammit, we need to treat her and fast...!

Ukita quickly spoke up in a strained voice.

O... okay, Captain Kasasagi! Then I'll keep searching while you treat Moribe!
What!?
I want to find out who was behind those 'footsteps' you heard earlier. You stay here and focus on treating Ms. Moribe.
No, you can't do that! It's too dangerous to go off by yourself!
I know that, but isn't it also dangerous to put off the search? The clock is ticking here!
...!

Ukita was absolutely right. Watase silently looked at Ukita as the latter continued.

Captain Kasasagi, I admit that I may just appear to be a civilian in your eyes. But still, I want to save everyone just as much as you do.
...But then I should be the one to go in that case...
No, you're better suited for treating her wounds. Moribe will feel a lot more comfortable when she wakes up and sees that you're the one by her side. And besides, I know LABO better than anyone else in the group. I won't screw up or get lost by myself here.

Ukita smiled as he said that. It looked like he was just bluffing-- but Watase decided to trust what he said.

All right... but don't go too far, you hear?

Watase gave Ukita their spare Procyon.

Then leave the search of Area 1 up to me. Let us rendezvous up in Area 2 later. Does that sound reasonable?
Yeah... but be careful, old man.
Understood.

Ukita said that and quickly left the laboratory. Now Watase and Jun were all alone. Watase quickly looked at Jun's back.

(I want to use the Chiron to seal this up... but I'm gonna have to take off her clothes to do that.)

Watase hesitated for a moment, then lifted Jun up slightly--

Sorry about this, Moribe.

He then reached out to zip down Jun's uniform-- but then the latter suddenly let out a scream.

This is another yellow Jun branch that will lead into an extra scene...

Whoa!?
Wh-who's there!? 'the hell you trying to pull!?

Watase frantically called out to Jun as she flailed about wildly.

Calm down, it's just me! Your back was injured, so I was trying to treat it!

...right about now.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 30, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Old Wound

Jun's body writhed in agony. It seemed she'd just noticed her own wound.

So well, you see... I'm sorry, but you'll have to remove your clothes so I can seal up the wound.
...Oh, well in that case... guess we've got no other choice then. But don't be surprised about what you see, okay?

Jun said that in a defeated voice, turned her back to Watase-- And unzipped her uniform. Jun didn't hesitate for a moment as she removed her uniform, then took off her bloodstained T-shirt. Her back was now exposed.

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

Watase had thought she was short-statured, but only now did it hit him just how small her body was. There was a wound about 2 cm wide bleeding below her right shoulder-blade. But that wasn't what caught Watase's eye.

...!

There was a wide scar that looked like badly inflamed skin that spanned from her right shoulder to about halfway down her back.

(Is this... a burn scar?)

It was clear that she hadn't gotten it recently, but rather along time ago.

Captain, hurry up.
R-right...

Jun's body twitched as if she were being tickled.

Sorry Moribe, but put up with it for a while.

Watase said that and continued treating her. Jun's wound finally closed up after Watase had used half the tube on it.

...Done.

Her back was sweaty, dyeing the burn scar a pale crimson.

...Does it bother you?
Ah, no... sorry...
No, don't worry about it. I'm letting you see it because it's you.

There was a faint hint of expectation in her words. Watase decided to take her up on that and satisfy his curiosity.

Say... how'd you get that burn scar? It's pretty obvious you've had it for quite a while.
I got it in a gas explosion accident ten years ago...
A 'gas explosion accident'...?

Watase was taken aback. That's right, Kazami's little sister had died in a—-!

Moribe, don't tell me you were there when it happened!

Jun quietly began talking.

...Yeah. I went to visit Nagisa at her apartment that day. The two of us were just playing around, when all of a sudden we heard this noise so loud that it felt like my ears were gonna burst-- By the time I came to my senses, we were trapped under rubble. We couldn't move around, and no one came to help no matter how much we cried for it...

--So that burn scar was probably from then. Jun continued in an awfully low voice.

Eventually, help did come, and Nagisa and l were saved... But Nagisa'd been hit on the head... and she passed away two days later.
I see... so that's what...

Watase let his voice trail off as he remained unsure of what to do. Jun continued without a hint of sorrow in her voice.

...I loved Nagisa, you know. She was so pure-hearted, kind, and considerate... I always felt like she was my salvation whenever I was with her. So when that accident happened, I wanted to do whatever I could to save her... but I was totally powerless back then...

Jun gritted her teeth in resentment toward her past self. Watase understood everything when he saw that look on her face.

So that's why you became a rescue worker...?

With that small body of hers, Jun was not suited to be a rescue worker in any definition of the term. And yet here she was. How much had she put herself through to make her body fit enough to become a rescue worker? Watase felt true admiration for that ironclad conviction of hers.

...So you entered this line of work for the same reasons as Tachibana, huh?
Yeah... well, there's more to it than just that, but yeah, it was the biggest reason. I don't want a repeat of that day ever again. I don't want my powerlessness to stop me from helping someone close to me, not when they're suffering right before my eyes. This burn scar is a symbol of that time in my life where I was weak. So I thought I'd never show it to anyone except someone I completely trust... But I never thought that someone would be you of all people. Funny, huh?

Jun gave him an awkward smile. Watase understood painfully well just how significant this scar was to Jun. So he also forced a smile and answered her.

No, I don't deserve that right. Not after I let you get hurt like that.
What're you talking about? We're buddies, so a few scratches here and there mean nothing, right?
...Buddies, huh?

That was right. Watase remembered the promise they'd made just before they ran into that contaminated zone-- He and Jun were partners who held a mutual trust in each other.

...I'm surprised you're calling me that. I mean, I've just been an unreliable greenhorn who let his squadmate get hurt.
You're not unreliable. If you were, then I wouldn't have shown you this scar that I've never let anyone else see. ...I did it because I have high hopes in you. So please... please don't do anything to betray my hopes, you hear?
Yeah, you can bet on that.
Absolutely positively?
I keep my promises. I'll keep living up to the trust you've put in me... as your buddy.

Jun then gave him a tender smile.

...Thanks, Captain. You really are a whole lot different today, you know that?
Well, I'm only half as efficient and persuasive as I normally am, but bear with me.
No, that's not what I mean. I mean that you're much kinder and gentler than normal.
Huh...?

Watase's heart leapt at those words. A small blush crossed Jun's face.

Hey... maybe you'll get mad at me for saying something like this right now... But I like the you of today. Much more than I do the normal you...

Watase gulped loudly. To receive such honest affection from a girl twelve years younger than him-- there was no way he wasn't happy about that. But any more than that left him at a loss.

Wh... what are you talking about? I'm 32 years old. I'm an old fart compared to you, you know? I'm sure there's someone much more suitable for a young girl like you--
You dummy, that's not what I meant. I meant that I'm happy to be teamed up with you as your buddy.
Ph-phew... don't startle me like that.
Ohhhh? Why so flustered? Did looking at my bare skin fill your head with dirty thoughts? Is that why you interpreted what I said that way?
Hey, I'm still a guy. I can't help it, right?

Watase and Jun shared a laugh. Laughs filled with such peaceful emotions that almost didn't match the life-or-death situation they were stuck in--

...Honestly, I wish you could stay this way forever...
Huh? But I'm me. That fact will never change.
Well, yeah, but... it's just... I worry that once you get your memories back, the you I'm looking at right now will be gone forever...
...!

--The words Jun blurted out held an ominous ring to Watase. But he quickly shook it off.

...Don't talk nonsense. I'll never go away. Not without your permission, that is...
Yeah... I'd appreciate that.

Watase gave Jun a reassuring nod to drive away her fears. They then looked at the time to find that they'd been in this room for quite a while.

Oh crap... this isn't good, old man Ukita went on ahead to keep on searching.
Huh? By himself?
We promised that we'd meet up in Area 2. I need to get a move on fast.
Then I'll come with--

Jun then tried to stand up, but she staggered on her feet.

No, you just got hit on the head. Just rest here for the time being. I'm heading in the direction of Area 2. Catch up to me once you recover.
Mmm... okay, I'll do what you say.
Yeah, see you later.

Watase waved to Jun and left the laboratory. He ran over to Area 2 as fast as he could to make up for the lost time he'd spent treating Jun.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dammit we let Ukita get away! Forget survivors you need to go after him! He's gonna start some poo poo I just know it!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
And they left most of the AD behind, so it'd be easy for him to mess with it or steal it.

I'm sure he'll come back fine, having done nothing wrong at all. :pseudo:

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
In hindsight, I'm beginning to think I shouldn't have let my irrational dislike of Ena distract me from the Real Suspicious Guy.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

OddHaberdasher posted:

In hindsight, I'm beginning to think I shouldn't have let my irrational dislike of Ena distract me from the Real Suspicious Guy.

Nah, Ena is shady as poo poo too. She's way too quick to cast blame on others. Ukita is actually neck deep in whatever is going on though. Remember that lab room scene?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I don't know why it took me so long to realize (probably because I'm sick right now).

A ghost did it. The reactor isn't nuclear, it's supernatural, powered by the souls of the dead. But one of the ghosts escaped and created this whole mess. It's a ghost killer.

But not just any ghost.

It's a Case N... for NAGISA! SHE'S THE GHOST! IT ALL MAKES SENSE!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

CirclMastr posted:

I don't know why it took me so long to realize (probably because I'm sick right now).

A ghost did it. The reactor isn't nuclear, it's supernatural, powered by the souls of the dead. But one of the ghosts escaped and created this whole mess. It's a ghost killer.

But not just any ghost.

It's a Case N... for NAGISA! SHE'S THE GHOST! IT ALL MAKES SENSE!

Set :ghost: SSS to 10!

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

SSNeoman posted:

Nah, Ena is shady as poo poo too. She's way too quick to cast blame on others.

That just makes her emotional and rash, the opposite of suspicious

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

tiistai posted:

That just makes her emotional and rash, the opposite of suspicious

That's what she wants you to think!!

EDIT:

quote:

Look at her devil horns in this picture! She's plotting our demise!

dont believe her liessssssss....

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 27, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Jokes aside, I think you're right on one thing - I don't think case n stands for nuclear. I'm not sure we're dealing with a nuclear disaster at all. That n might have more to do with another n we've seen: neuroscience. We know about telepathy/BC (ha ha before crime) and we know the students are all BC users. We should now suspect that Yuuri is a powerful psychic too. And that there may be at least one more powerful psychic in the facility based on the migraine attacks. Then there is the dead girl. She and Yuuri are probably research subjects. And the Procyons? Those were supplied by LABO. There's no reason to trust them completely. They may be measuring something other than Sv units despite the display readings. Lastly, Alone Desire. Isn't that desire alone explanation terribly shoddy? Perhaps it's actually named for the desire to be alone. A drug that blocks BC or other external mental intrusions. The effects our survivors have experienced might be neurological and psychological in nature too. The only thing to give me pause on that account is wastage vomiting blood, but he has already sustained a significant amount of bodily trauma. AD being a psychic inhibitor would explain why it is effective so quickly, why Yuuri is violently against it, and why the students may be getting along fine without it. Dosing Yuuri may be preventing her from contacting other BC users including but not limited to the students.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Keep in mind though, that one ending where we ran out of AD, everyone died from radiation exposure :saddowns: There's definitely radiation about, and without AD, we WILL die from it. I'm certain it does other stuff too but it definitely does something for radiation.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Danaru posted:

Keep in mind though, that one ending where we ran out of AD, everyone died from radiation exposure :saddowns: There's definitely radiation about, and without AD, we WILL die from it. I'm certain it does other stuff too but it definitely does something for radiation.

It might be psychic powers which manifest into radiation-like symptoms.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Danaru posted:

Keep in mind though, that one ending where we ran out of AD, everyone died from radiation exposure :saddowns:

Did they really though? People (or at least Watase) felt nauseated, with headaches and some kind of discomfort in the skin, eventually just passed out and then it was game over.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Beyond Communication: 09/16/2030, 13:09

Oh hey, I've noticed that you're theorizing about things. Here, have some more chapters to really theorize over. These next two should be really fun.

Watase was now directly opposite of Area 5, where he and the others had split up. He had half expected to find Kazami's team wandering around here-- but they were nowhere to be seen.

(I sure hope they didn't get into any weird sort of trouble like we did...)

If he maintained his assumption that Jun's injury had been no accident, then it was only natural for him to worry about the others.

(No, it's okay. Tachibana's more than capable of dealing with whatever's thrown her way.)

Watase shook his head and resumed his search. Only Kazami and Jun had searched the place the first time through. This was also where their makeshift base was set up. It had been ages since anyone had last checked the area out.

(There's also more than enough room to believe that the survivors are constantly on the move...)

Watase quickly carried out his search with those thoughts in mind--

But a nameplate labelling one of the rooms caught Watase's eye. ''Reference Room''. A room he'd never visited before.

(Could there be a hint about an escape route in here...?)

Watase headed into the room with that thought in mind.

That entire space was almost completely filled with steel bookshelf upon steel bookshelf. There was a switch attached to each shelf, meaning it was most likely a movable type of bookcase.

(Yuuri's... not here, huh.)

Once he'd confirmed that, Watase's eyes turned to the bookshelf. A crammed line of books and essays were sitting there.

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

An Introduction to the Informational Field Theory / Author: Miyoko Tenkawa
Elementary Particles, Information, and Consciousness / Author: Miyoko Tenkawa
ESP Synchronization Hypothesis / Author: Antoine Courbet, Translator: Miyoko Tenkawa
Cerebrum: Labyrinth of Physiology / Author: Ryoken Kashiwagi
Unbinding from Pseudoscience: The Future and Prospects of Parapsychology / Author: Koki Sumida
Before Crime * After Days / Author: Chikage Sonomura
Particles, the Mind, and the Brain / Author: Shuuya Eriguchi

Watase looked at all of their titles.

(... I don't get them.)

Watase had no knowledge of science in his current state, so he hadn't the slightest clue what they contained. Now that he thought about it, the two main themes researched at the facility were ''nuclear power'' and ''biology''. Either way, all he knew was that there were a lot of biology-related books in there. But there was a familiar name amongst all the authors listed.

(''Miyoko Tenkawa''...)

If his memory served him right, that was the name of Natsuhiko Tenkawa's mother. And when he saw those books-— a strange anxiety welled up in Watase's chest.

(!?)

Watase was puzzled. Why would looking at books make him feel anxious?

(I know this isn't the time to be doing this, but--)

Watase couldn't go against his feelings. So he took one of the books and flipped through it.

(...???)

Watase had no clue what he was reading.

(Fifth fundamental force? Information? Dark energy? The hell's all that...?)

Tips posted:

TIP: Dark energy
Category: Includes fiction

The cosmological constant lambda that appears in Einstein's gravitational field equation was a concept made under the assumption that the universe was filled with gravity and a force opposing gravity, resulting in a static universe, neither contracting nor expanding. Later, however, when Edwin Hubble's observations made it evident that the universe appeared to be expanding, Einstein regretted the cosmological constant as the biggest blunder of his life. Later, he proposed the existence of a new quintessential substance with the property of repulsing gravity as something that would support the idea of the accelerating expansion of the universe. However, the existence of said substance still hasn't been proven.

The commonality between these two propositions of Einstein's is that they both propose the existence of a gravity-repulsing energy in the void of space. This repulsive energy is said to exist all over the universe, and is called dark energy. What is dark energy? Does it even exist? -- The answer to those questions was found in the informational field theory proposed by Miyoko Tenkawa.

Tips posted:

TIP: Four fundamental forces
Category: Includes fiction

Let's go back 13.7 billion years. In the middle of ''nothing'', there was an unprecedented explosive expansion. This is the birth of the universe according to the Big Bang theory. In the beginning of the universe, in its state of extreme heat and pressure, there was only one fundamental force, but that force differentiated into four. The force of ''gravity'' as known from the law of universal gravitation, the ''strong force'' that binds the elementary particles known as quarks, the ''weak force'' that causes atomic nuclei to emit beta radiation during beta decay, and the ''electromagnetic force'' that works on electrically charged particles.

These four fundamental forces, also known as four fundamental interactions and mediated by four fundamental fields, had been used to describe any interaction observed in the known universe. However, Miyoko Tenkawa proposed a fifth fundamental force in her ''informational field hypothesis'', thus making waves in the world of physics as we know it.

He still had no clue why he'd felt such intense anxiety from this book.

(Was it just my imagination...?)

Watase wondered that as he flipped through the pages and kept reading.

(... Yeah, this isn't making any sense to me. What kind of research does this Miyoko Tenkawa person do...?)

She'd called herself an ''elementary particle physicist'', but he got the impression this research had more to do with biology.

(But to ''create a consciousness''... Why would anyone want to do that...? What does research involving creating a consciousness have to do with nuclear power and biology...?)

He wasn't sure why, but he felt a faint, ominous sensation. Despite that, he continued to read more of the book-- And then gasped.

BC...!?

Come to think of it, Ena had mentioned it before. She'd said that it wasn't all that rare for there to be people who could use telepathy these days. Watase continued to read.

(Wh... what!?)

The words laid out before him were almost unbelievable. He'd already heard about the ability to directly send one's voice to another's mind. The problem was the other ability.

'The ability to read another's mind'...!?

He then remembered what Ena had told him earlier.

(I see, so when she said ''mutually communicate''... she didn't just mean sending your thoughts, but also reading other people's thoughts too! Then the stuff in this book isn't just some pipe dream--!)

Watase looked at the bookshelf in shock to find that many of them had the phrase ''BC'' in the titles. Apparently it really was considered a completely normal thing. Though there were very few of them, there were indeed people out there who could ''read others' minds''. Just then-- Watase finally realized the truth behind his anxiety.

(I see, so I... was scared of this empathy ability...!?)

He didn't know exactly why. Maybe he'd had a really frightening experience with it before he'd lost his memories. But even if that weren't the case-- he didn't feel like there could possibly be anyone who was okay with having their mind read by someone else.

(No, what if, at this very moment... someone is reading my mind and can hear my fear of having my mind read--!?)

--Watase's body shook violently in the face of that abrupt thought.

If he were to trust what Jun said, then that probably meant none of the ''adults'' in the group were Communicators.

(But what about the ''children''...?)

Could Natsuhiko read minds? Mashiro? Salyu? And-- what about Yuuri?

(... Teach said that Natsuhiko and his friends could use telepathy. Then isn't it naturally possible they can use empathy too...?)

Now that he thought about it, several suspicious events had occured.

(If those kids can read people's minds... And when you take into account they've been running from us... then maybe one of us hates them and they know it...!)

He didn't want to believe it, but it all added up. --If that were the case, then who was the one who hated them? It wasn't Watase, at the very least. He knew that better than anyone.

(So it's one of the other four...?)

Once he thought that, every single one of them quickly seemed suspicious in his mind. His anxiety swelled up like a balloon, and his heart started racing faster and faster. Doubt begot more doubt-- but then it soon came full circle.

(No, wait... maybe it's the other way around? What if -they're- the ones who hate -us-?)

Those kids who could read people's minds were filled with malice and trying to back Watase's group into a corner for some reason. Maybe that was just an absurd theory, but--

(If it's true... then can we fight off guys like that...?)

As soon as he thought that,

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

!

a sudden headache ripped through Watase's skull, causing him to groan.

Ghh... ugh...!

His consciousness started fading as he grew incredibly dizzy.

(Th... this is bad...!)

Watase staggered his way out of the reference room as quickly as possible.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

In the Mirror: 09/16/2030, 13:13

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

He turned the sink faucet on with all his might and washed his face with cold water. But his headache didn't get any better at all.

(Not another headache... Wait, could this be an effect of radiation damage...!?)

It was at that moment that he remembered something Kazami and the others had told him. ''There's a possibility the tap water's been contaminated by radiation. You could get internal radiation exposure just from drinking it.''

(poo poo...!)

He'd been washing his face with that stuff. Watase frantically wiped his face to make sure none of the water got in his mouth or nose. But his headache still hurt just as much as it had before, and soon he was assaulted with anxiety and fear that made him feel even worse.

Ghh... urgh!

Watase vomited into the sink. His stomach was empty, so all that came out were gastric juices. A heavy sense of fatigue weighed down his whole body.

(Dammit... I'm thinking about way too much at once...!)

Watase gritted his teeth. Being trapped in this hellish environment was bad enough, but now strange incidents were happening one after another, people had either died or been killed, and on top of that--

(There might be monsters out there who can read people's minds...!)

Watase was extremely confused. At that moment-- countless disconnected images flashed through his mind as if they were conspiring with that confusion.

The sound in these shots is somewhat garbled, going along with the image quality.

(Wh-what was all that!?)

It felt like there had been images he didn't recognize mixed in with that one of Yuuri. And that Natsuhiko Tenkawa and his friends-- the very same people they were looking for now-- had been in them.

(Why...!? Have I seen them somewhere before...?)

He didn't know. He couldn't tell if they were his own memories or not. But as Watase was driven to the brink of confusion by those mysterious images--

!?

--It was the first time in ages that he'd heard that auditory hallucination. Watase was overcome with astonishment when he heard it.

(Wait... could this auditory hallucination be trying to control me...!?)

That suspicion expanded to immense proportions in one quick moment.

(No, what if-- What if someone's been controlling me this whole time...!? Then who is the ''me'' that I've thought was me up until now...!?)

Watase looked at his face in the mirror as he was seized by that primitive fear. Reflected in there was the face of an unfamiliar man he didn't recall. Watase felt whatever had been keeping himself sane up until this point start to fall apart in an instant. Kazami, Jun, Ena, and Ukita-- adults who possibly held some sort of malice against the survivors. Yuuri, Salyu, Natsuhiko, and Mashiro-- children who possibly wielded a mysterious power. And ''himself'', a man with vague memories and a will that might not even be his own--

D-dammit...! What... or who should I believe in...!?

Just as Watase started harboring doubts towards everyone, himself included--

???: You're overthinking things, Watase. Do that and you'll just wuss out to the point where you won't be able to make sense of anything anymore.

...!?

Watase blinked. It felt like someone else's face was in the mirror. But all he saw there was his own face.

(... What was that? -Who— was that...?)

Perhaps it was a type of audiovisual hallucination, or maybe a flashback. He wasn't sure, but when he saw that face-- He'd felt a mysterious sense of nostalgia come over him.

Don't overthink things, huh...

His heart calmed for some reason when he muttered that. Watase felt as though that illusion had been admonishing him.

(That's right... I have to trust everyone... and myself...!)

Watase turned off the still running faucet.

(Looks like I was just jumping at shadows for a minute there...)

Watase finally realized that he'd regained his composure. And that his headache was now gone. By the time he left the bathroom, the doubts that had taken hold of him had completely vanished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Wasn't the voice that yelled at Watase to rescue Yuuri a man? We've only seen one potential BC user that's male, Natsuhiko. It's not impossible that he's been Morphogenetic Field-ing Watase to guide him, and it would explain how they know they need to inject AD to not start glowing/whatever the 'radiation' actually is.

Have we heard the voice from the lady in the mirror before? :confused: She said that BC users have been congregating in the city, which implies a connection to LABO and the wierd poo poo they've been up to. Also she might be able to BC at us, or Watase just actually was hallucinating

Also I somehow never noticed Watase's dopey white streak before, what's up with that dude. Then again it looks bigger in these shots, so maybe it's a BC antenna, and that's why he can pick up on nerd signals

Maybe Watase's been posessed by the weird BC dark matter homonculus conciousness Natsuhiko's mom talked about, and that's who we really are, and the voice we've been hearing is the real Watase who's stuck in the fiddy zone :tinfoil:

This game is good

• Locked thread