Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Help me! Skyrim is on sale for $30 and I KNOW it won't hold up to W3. Help me not fall into the trap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Do not buy bad video game Skyrim. Godspeed gamer.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

10 Beers posted:

Help me! Skyrim is on sale for $30 and I KNOW it won't hold up to W3. Help me not fall into the trap!

It's not as good as the witcher but if you go into it expecting bethesda quality writing and voice acting it's fun. That said the right time to buy it was last year's steam sale for ten bucks, it's a five year old game and the spit and polish job they did on it doesn't fundamentally change that. I wouldn't recommend dropping 30 bucks on it. If you have a good pc buy tyranny or divinity original sin. Or, poo poo, witcher 2.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
It's $10 on humblebundle https://www.humblebundle.com/store/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-legendary-edition. All the DLC should be an auto upgrade to the special edition or whatever it is. Oh wait, apparently that was a one time thing... Still, mods make up the difference, though the fact that there is a difference between the original and re-release means mods might focus on one over the other

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 27, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

10 Beers posted:

Why the gently caress would you even consider buying Skyrim of all things in tyool 2016

For 30 bucks, even! Maybe for 5.99 or something.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The "new version" just adds things that always were available via mods anyway.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

aard everything. aard everything forever. constantly knock them off their feet. they're getting up? aard them again. aard them across the map. aard them out of windows, down wells.

Also get the improved version that adds a freezing effect to Aard :hellyeah:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

That's late, late game though.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Once I got that I pretty much stopped using any other sign. Its Witcher 1's Igni

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Once I do the final quest the game doesn't abruptly end and throw me into NG+, correct? I can go do Heart of Stone and Blood & Wine?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I AM BRAWW posted:

Once I do the final quest the game doesn't abruptly end and throw me into NG+, correct? I can go do Heart of Stone and Blood & Wine?
Correct.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

I was getting sad thinking I was close to the end of my first playthrough, at 114 hours, but then I remmebered I have a Million points of Interest in Skellige, two DLC's and I am only at "We just murdered two Crones and Imlerith".

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I AM BRAWW posted:

I was getting sad thinking I was close to the end of my first playthrough, at 114 hours, but then I remmebered I have a Million points of Interest in Skellige, two DLC's and I am only at "We just murdered two Crones and Imlerith".

It blows my mind just how much content this game has. You can pour a ridiculous amount of time into it, and it never feels like filler/fetchquests.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SirSamVimes posted:

It blows my mind just how much content this game has. You can pour a ridiculous amount of time into it, and it never feels like filler/fetchquests.

Except for the Skellige POI's. And I really hate boat combat in this game. Sirens are worse than Drowners. I should just get a mod that makes the crossbow into a machine gun, the only time I ever use it is during boat attacks.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

SirSamVimes posted:

I've never touched Gwent, either, that's my gamer-shame.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I AM BRAWW posted:

Get the gently caress out of this thread

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Gwents boring

e: it needs more strategy than just 3 tiers of combat and heroes that are immune to specials

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gwent is bad and makes no sense in the setting.
(But I always play every NPC anyway because there's something wrong with me.)

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Whelp I just found cthulu's lair. Nice to know it transcends universes like that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm having a lot of fun with Ignii right now. Seems to work well against a number of the B&W monsters. Though I build Geralt as a whirling dervish of death with his swords.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I AM BRAWW posted:

my (gender-neutral) man

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Gwent is bad and you should feel ashamed if you play it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Gwent is good and has just enough depth for a distraction minigame.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Ciri card breaks my immersion. Only a dozen people in the world ought to know who she is. Also, spies are just slightly overpowered.

To be fair, the AI isn't completely terrible at Gwent. They know how to use decoys and medics at least. The main issue with it is that unlike other similar games there's no resource cost to balance the most powerful cards so there's nothing you can do with a lovely draw.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gwent is a good minigame because you can completely ignore it if you want and miss nothing(except the tournament quest).

Gwent itself is pretty meh and only 2 decks are worth a poo poo.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I finally finished the main story, 120 hours in. What a rollercoaster, the last parts were as emotional as video games can get. I'm really sad now that I will go through the rest of the game without Ciri/Yen/etc as NPC's to visit in between quests...

I got the "Ciri becomes a Witcher ending", and the part where she recalls the snowball fight with Geralt, loving up the elven Sage's lab with Geralt, Geralt letting her go deal with the Lodge on her own, etc. was so heartbreaking as I really had thought she died. Besides Ciri, I got Nilfgaard rule, Yen as romance and Cerys rules Skellige. Which is what I wanted to happen and am happy with - I doubt I'll ever even bother to play through again and get a different ending..

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Go-Gurt For Dinner
Jul 8, 2013
On my second playthrough. Savouring every little morsel this time out.

My first run had the Radovid conquers all ending. How do I get the Nilfgaard FTW one?

Also, has the idea of the standalone Gwent Beta thread been nixxed? Heard a couple of people in here talk about making one?

Hurp Durp Master
Oct 10, 2011

I AM BRAWW posted:

I finally finished the main story, 120 hours in. What a rollercoaster, the last parts were as emotional as video games can get. I'm really sad now that I will go through the rest of the game without Ciri/Yen/etc as NPC's to visit in between quests...

I got the "Ciri becomes a Witcher ending", and the part where she recalls the snowball fight with Geralt, loving up the elven Sage's lab with Geralt, Geralt letting her go deal with the Lodge on her own, etc. was so heartbreaking as I really had thought she died. Besides Ciri, I got Nilfgaard rule, Yen as romance and Cerys rules Skellige. Which is what I wanted to happen and am happy with - I doubt I'll ever even bother to play through again and get a different ending..

Pretty drat good ending imo. Although, I think ciri becoming a witcher for the remainder of her life is like the worst usage of a being that can travel through multiple times and universes. Yes its cool that she gets to hang with Geralt, but there should have been and ending where Ciri does some crazy poo poo saving different worlds and whatever.

Can't wait for Cyberpunk 2077 though, that reference Ciri drops to it just gave me the biggest smile the instant I heard it.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Go-Gurt For Dinner posted:

On my second playthrough. Savouring every little morsel this time out.

My first run had the Radovid conquers all ending. How do I get the Nilfgaard FTW one?

Also, has the idea of the standalone Gwent Beta thread been nixxed? Heard a couple of people in here talk about making one?

Follow the quest line to assassinate Radovid. Make sure you don't shove Dijkstra when he demands you hand over Phillipa. If you want total Nilfgaardian victory and not just getting Radovid out of the way read the second line

Read first line before you mouse over this: Don't side with Dijkstra once Radovid is dead.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Witcher 3 is such an amazing game. It's the only game I've ever played that I would even consider giving a 10/10 score.
I wish I could forget it just so that I could experience it anew.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Senjuro posted:

Follow the quest line to assassinate Radovid. Make sure you don't shove Dijkstra when he demands you hand over Phillipa. If you want total Nilfgaardian victory and not just getting Radovid out of the way read the second line

Read first line before you mouse over this: Don't side with Dijkstra once Radovid is dead.

You're acting like anybody would side with Djikstra

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lareine posted:

I did.

I mean he was a douche, but it was the best of a bad situation. For the North.

To be fair, I never played Witcher 1 or 2, so I didn't really give much of a poo poo about Temeria.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lareine posted:

I was absolutely angry at him that he forced me into killing him with his stupid unreasonable scheming. I liked the guy, but enough is enough.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

I too just finished the game after getting it the day it came out. What an awesome ride. Now to spend the next year doing the dlc.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

i'm really loving this game, still in my first week. the last action-adventure open world rpg i played was skyrim and this seems way better in every way, less flashy, more tight on the mechanics,. basically good where it counts

a couple questions, i intend to purchase both DLC's but i'm wondering if any of the content is accessible early in the game, like is it even worth it for me to set aside money for this or it the base game experience still the same for a while with/without the expansions?

second, i don't really want any spoilers, i love the challenge of exploring this world and having to figure out how to survive and make my way around and develop skills. but when i play these games i am a definite item hoarder and i'm struggling to manage my carry weight limit

basically, my question is, which common items are worth picking up and hoarding? for whatever reason, broken into components or used to make potions or whatever

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Gwent is bad and you should feel ashamed if you play it.

i like playing gwent it feels satisfying to own a stupid merchant in a card duel

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Commie NedFlanders posted:

i'm really loving this game, still in my first week. the last action-adventure open world rpg i played was skyrim and this seems way better in every way, less flashy, more tight on the mechanics,. basically good where it counts

a couple questions, i intend to purchase both DLC's but i'm wondering if any of the content is accessible early in the game, like is it even worth it for me to set aside money for this or it the base game experience still the same for a while with/without the expansions?

second, i don't really want any spoilers, i love the challenge of exploring this world and having to figure out how to survive and make my way around and develop skills. but when i play these games i am a definite item hoarder and i'm struggling to manage my carry weight limit

basically, my question is, which common items are worth picking up and hoarding? for whatever reason, broken into components or used to make potions or whatever

Both expansions are late game/post-endgame content. There was a bunch of free DLC that was released that peppers some contracts throughout the main game, not sure if you have that.

Turn off Triss' (or frankly everyone's) alternate outfit from the main menu. It's bad.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

sell most everything, the only things worth keeping are crafting materials and they don't weigh anything

you can hold off on the DLCs until you're near the end of the game which won't be for quite a while. they don't add anything to the base game, they're just additional chapters and you won't be able to start them until you're level 30+

the DLCs are stand-alone end-game content, they won't change anything about the base game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Hoard crafting materials, sell everything else. DLCs can wait - the main game is 80-100 hours worth of content (or more) and they're both exclusively end game stuff.

Spoilering this, but there are 2 in game decisions which impact the amount of content you can enjoy.

Rather late game - When given the option to forcefully shove a certain somebody, don't do it.

Very early game - At one point you'll be asked a series of questions to develop Geralt's back story, it all refers to events in previous games. You will be asked what happened to Letho - if you say he's dead/you killed him, it will lock you out of a side quest.

There are a ton of other places where your choices will impact your game, but those two really stand out in that they will prevent you from pursuing certain quests outright.