Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Chelsea is not getting a pardon. I hope i'm wrong but I highly doubt it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

duz posted:

If only she released the collateral murder video instead of all those diplomatic cables that had nothing to do with nothing maybe she could've got one.

Can you shill any harder for the MIC or the NSA? How does their dick taste?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Can somebody explain what they mean about neoliberalism in the DNC? IIRC that has two main components: domestic privatization, and opening international free markets. I can understand the international trade aspect with NAFTA under Bill Clinton and TPP under Obama, but the "privatize everything" notion is soundly Republican to me. Am I misinterpreting neoliberalism?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Can somebody explain what they mean about neoliberalism in the DNC? IIRC that has two main components: domestic privatization, and opening international free markets. I can understand the international trade aspect with NAFTA under Bill Clinton and TPP under Obama, but the "privatize everything" notion is soundly Republican to me. Am I misinterpreting neoliberalism?

Neoliberalism is pretty much selling off the public sector to private interests. Everything must turn a profit. Most Republicans are actually Neoliberals, plus bigotry. Most Democrats are also Neoliberals. Democrats still want to privatize most things; just to a lesser extent and in a less destructive way, but the thrust is the same.

See: Democratic support for charter schools. Many liberal donors, like Bill Gates, support charters. One education for the rich, and an inferior education for everyone else.

Both parties are not exactly the same but they both agree on selling out and loving you over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1dv2xkPsz0

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 27, 2016

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Chelsea is not getting a pardon. I hope i'm wrong but I highly doubt it

If he's not pardoning Snowden, who arguably "had a better leak" because it wasn't showing how bad AMERICA'S BEST MILITARY SAVING THE WORLD GO AMERICA is, he's definitely not gonna pardon Chelsea.
God knows what Trump and Co want to do to them.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I spent the whole last page or two wondering "What? What the gently caress? Did Cheslea Clinton do something illegal in the foundation?"

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
obama proposed a grand bargain that would have slashed social security and medicare/medicaid, but republicans were too intransigent and retarded to take it in exchange for raising the debt ceiling. also, the affordable care act. both of these things are neoliberal as gently caress.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Swan Oat posted:

obama proposed a grand bargain that would have slashed social security and medicare/medicaid, but republicans were too intransigent and retarded to take it in exchange for raising the debt ceiling. also, the affordable care act. both of these things are neoliberal as gently caress.

Yep! Also, if anyone wants an entertaining look at this crap just watch Adam Curtis's Century of the Self and Hypernormalization, and is other documentaries, but especially those two for a good look at the driving forces behind our modern politics.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKTmwu3ynOY

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Mother Jones: On the behind the scenes of normalization with Cuba.

Bonus: Republicans of color disengage from the party in the wake of Trump's victory

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Geostomp posted:

Pissing off this manchild alone is more than enough reason for me to support the recount.

We're all manchildren now

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/802680794485399552

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
We live in the world where I actually want Mitt Romney to be SecState. We're doomed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really have to love that this is somehow a reasonable choice to him

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Guests joining Trump for Thanksgiving at Mar-a-Lago included Christopher Nixon Cox, the grandson of Richard Nixon, who we are told is being lined up to be Trump’s ambassador to China. Also there was Marvel Entertainment CEO Ike Perlmutter, CEO of Newsmax Media Christopher Ruddy, boxing promoter Don King, interior designer William Eubanks and political consultant Mary Ourisman. Attracting almost as much attention as the president-elect was chiseled romance-novel hunk Fabio, who was seated at a table near Trump, and “was asked for pictures nearly as often as Trump himself.”

Hanging with another purveyor of bullshit news.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Huzanko posted:

Yep! Also, if anyone wants an entertaining look at this crap just watch Adam Curtis's Century of the Self and Hypernormalization, and is other documentaries, but especially those two for a good look at the driving forces behind our modern politics.

adam curtis is fun but you have to take everything he says with a huge grain of salt, he actively indulges in the same techniques of media manipulation he accuses others of

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Swan Oat posted:

Except it was actually pretty smart of Republicans to dig in their heels and do nothing for eight years, because now they're going to get everything they wanted without having to compromise at all.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

boner confessor posted:

adam curtis is fun but you have to take everything he says with a huge grain of salt, he actively indulges in the same techniques of media manipulation he accuses others of

True. I find he does a good job of getting you to look at things in a different way and it's a good jumping off point to do other research.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Huzanko posted:

Manning delivered tons of classified US info to a Russian stooge.

Yeah, I'm not expecting a pardon for that

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Huzanko posted:

Hey Fabio, you have geopolitical experience, who should I pick?

We're all hosed, aren't we.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Huzanko posted:

Good to see our new president is spending time with real Americans this thanksgiving.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Huzanko posted:

You should probably stop freaking out when people explain why Obama's not going to do something. It's true: all she can ever get is to be pardoned on a few of the charges at most (out of the like 14 charges she was found guilty on), and that means she's still going to serve at least 10-15 years in a best case scenario.

Same sort of thing would go on with Snowden, he'd never ever get a full pardon, but might get a pardon on some of the charges if he ever returned to face court. And that would similarly mean a reduced sentence, no being commuted to time served.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

You should probably stop freaking out when people explain why Obama's not going to do something. It's true: all she can ever get is to be pardoned on a few of the charges at most (out of the like 14 charges she was found guilty on), and that means she's still going to serve at least 10-15 years in a best case scenario.

Same sort of thing would go on with Snowden, he'd never ever get a full pardon, but might get a pardon on some of the charges if he ever returned to face court. And that would similarly mean a reduced sentence, no being commuted to time served.

I know why Obama isn't going to pardon her. It doesn't mean anyone should or has to agree with it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Huzanko posted:

I know why Obama isn't going to pardon her. It doesn't mean anyone should or has to agree with it.

Maybe you should show someone who was "agreeing with it" instead of just someone agreeing that's in fact the reason it won't happen then?

Like it's worth remembering that she was actually found innocent on many of the 23 charges they initially had against her.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fine, pardon her down to 10-15 years. That's better than life.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Fine, pardon her down to 10-15 years. That's better than life.

She doesn't have life, she has 35 years with eligibility for parole with dishonorable discharge after about 1/3 of sentenced time. Any clemency is likely to come in the form of approving parole in year 12 in accordance with that.

She would have had life without parole if she'd been convicted on all 20+ charges.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/DudeSlater/status/802496012887715840

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Why would Trump make Romney anything important? Didn't Romney have a big speech earlier this year about how bad Trump is?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

Why would Trump make Romney anything important? Didn't Romney have a big speech earlier this year about how bad Trump is?

What better way to one-up Romney, if you're Trump, than to appoint him to something.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why do so many people feel the need to bring up bad stuff America did when talking about bad stuff Castro did? Is it really that important that every conversation be about America?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

This is the part of the show where the conservative establishment tries to take over the trump show. He has no farm system of people ready to take over executive branch positions. He's made passing references to supporting places like heritage, but he's got no relationship with them. Now they're coming out of the woodworks to help him fill positions high and low, with calmly spoken advice about how this figure or that would be perfect and execute his agenda.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

fishmech posted:

She doesn't have life, she has 35 years with eligibility for parole with dishonorable discharge after about 1/3 of sentenced time. Any clemency is likely to come in the form of approving parole in year 12 in accordance with that.

She would have had life without parole if she'd been convicted on all 20+ charges.

Her keepers are trying their damndest to make offing herself a better option, so she may not make it to year 12 :smith:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Internet Kraken posted:

Trump appointing Romney asserts his dominance as alpha male.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why do so many people feel the need to bring up bad stuff America did when talking about bad stuff Castro did? Is it really that important that every conversation be about America?

The primary force exerting itself upon Cuba has been the United States. Imagine our relationship with Canada if they had sent scores of assassins to kill Washington.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Huzanko posted:

What do the embassy cables have to do with either of those? I was saying if all she did was showing the military being bad instead of embarrassing the state dept, she would've ended a lot better off at the end of it all.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

There are actually lots of legitimate things to criticize about Castro. It just gets tiring to hear this criticism come from an American establishment that supports the same or worse policies when their side is doing it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Internet Kraken posted:

trump's appointments, personified by the bannon-priebus picks, suggest that he wants to marry the alt-right with the republican establishment. in theory, a romney pick would address some of the establishment's largest grievances with trump, such as his ties to russia and schizophrenic foreign policy. it would also defang one of his largest critics within the party and potentially stave off a republican civil war.

the opposing argument is that romney has no loyalty to trump and he'll pursue goals completely counter to the president-elect's agenda. romney is a big supporter of free trade and a big opponent of russia. it could also alienate trump's hardcore supporters, who want him to "drain the swamp."

frankly, the romney-guliani debate has reached such a fever pitch that i half-expect him to go for a third option like corker.

Guy Goodbody posted:

because communism is an abhorrent ideology. the only way to make it palatable is to resort to whataboutism.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ron Jeremy posted:

The primary force exerting itself upon Cuba has been the United States. Imagine our relationship with Canada if they had sent scores of assassins to kill Washington.

We wouldn't be able to talk about the genocide of the Native Americans without some Canadian saying "yeah but Canada did some hosed up poo poo too"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Tankies are basically what happens when the far left engages in strong team sports politics and decides that someone being on "our team" is by virtue of that absolved of the ability to do bad things. Progressives do the same thing when they ignore the bad stuff Obama has done, when that happens. Essentially the logic is, I agree with the ideology underpinning Stalin, so I must defend all the things he did because agreeing with him on stuff means I am agreeing with everything he did. It's a dumb thought process that ignores nuance in order to feel better about your personal politics.

Also the classic argument "and you are lynching negroes," which is basically an intellectual deflection whereby because "your team" is doing x, my team automatically gets excused for doing y.

It has more to do with human psychology than specific ideology because people across the spectrum do it all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

Because the media doesn't hyperventilate over all the horrible poo poo America has done.

• Locked thread