Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is just the beginning of SoE bad or is the whole game like this? Save points are miles apart and combat is a bit of a slog because enemies are way faster than you. Damage dealt by enemies seems inconsistent so I frequently end up suddenly dying because a dinosaur hit me for 35 HP instead of the usual 20.

Zaggitz posted:

Demon's Crest is an extremely good SNES action game.

This one's already on the list and I'm itching to start it :)

Gimbal lock posted:

If you count pc-engine, Castlevania Rondo of Blood is really really good.

Oh right I'll check that one too if I can. Dracula X sucked so I'm interested in seeing how it Should Have Been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's SoE in this context?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Secret of Evermore?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

secret of evermore probably

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Secret of Evermore?

Yes this, sorry.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

bloodychill posted:

Act Raiser.

And the sequel, actually, which is hard as gently caress but a well-made action platformer.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Just naming some of the obscure poo poo on my shelf (Shatter Hand and Little Nemo are on the NES, rest is SNES):

Dragon View (SNES game that's like a 16 bit Zelda 2 with a mode 7 overworld)

Operation Logic Bomb (Third game in a series where the first one was Fortified Zone on the GB and the second one we didn't get. Jaleco liked to just name games whatever when bringing them out west).

Cybernator (Cool robot game, you should also try Metal Warriors and Front Mission: Gun Hazard if you like that at all. There's also Target Earth on the Genesis which recently got a remake on the PS4 of all things).

King Arthur's World (Weird Lemmings/RTS type of game. The opening tutorial kind of sucks, though and there's a lot of it).

UN Squadron (I don't know if this is obscure anymore, but it's a cool shmup.)

Shatterhand (NES game that's like Megaman if you punched everything).

Little Nemo (Also don't know if this is obscure anymore. The movie it's based on is super obscure, though).

Skyblazer (Weird platformer with nice spritework)

Illusion of Gaia (There's also Soul Blazer and Terranigma, but I think IoG is the strongest at what it's doing).

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mak0rz posted:

I'm just gonna go ahead and play through a bunch of games I should have but never for the 8-16 bit eras. What are some of your favorite Best Games Nobody's Ever Played from this period, thread? What are the must-plays that aren't the typical Marios, Metroids, Zeldas, Mega Mans, Square RPGs, and Sonics?

I'm interested in a good mix of platformers, action, adventure, and RPGs. Anything as long as it has a campaign/story mode of some kind and isn't insanely difficult or too long. I'm especially open to Game Boy/Color, Game Gear, Master System, and Genesis/MegaDrive suggestions because I'm not sure what's out there for these platforms.

Right now I'm working on The Secret of Evermore and Earthworm Jim (SNES version). I'll probably move on to Crystalis and Castlevania after those.

NES: Summer Carnival '92 Recca. Fun and unique shmup that does some interesting things with the NES hardware.

SNES: Front Mission: Gun Hazard. Squaresoft Side Scrolling Platformer RPG, very similar to Cybernator, and one of the best games on the platform easily.

Also if you play Terranigma (which you should), keep in mind the default PAL version of the Rom runs way slower than the game is supposed to play at. There should be a fixed rom floating around to make it run at proper 60Hz.
Also, don't be afraid to buy magic rings and cast spells, you get the magirock back when you use up the ring.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
After a lazy Saturday afternoon of working through all the Boundary Break videos, low-poly versions of characters that you were never supposed to see up close are my new favorite thing.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Guy Mann posted:

The lead writer of Telltale Batman is a guy whose only other writing credits are a contributing role to Tales from the Borderlands and what looks like two lovely animated web cartoons I've never heard of. The fact that the guy who wrote "The Fart Knight Rises" for a show called Dick Figures is now the lead writer of an actual serious Batman game is really, really funny to me.

Personally I'm more impressed with his interviewing skills than anything else

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I've have War for the Overworld and Dungeons II on my wishlist forever because Dungeon Keeper was a favorite game of mine as a kid. Are these poo poo, does anyone have an opinion on either? None of the reviews make me want to buy the game.....

also Running with Rifles...fun or dumb?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
yes how could that guy possibly live up to telltale's standards and do justice to *swirls wine in glass* the batman

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

I'm just gonna go ahead and play through a bunch of games I should have but never for the 8-16 bit eras. What are some of your favorite Best Games Nobody's Ever Played from this period, thread? What are the must-plays that aren't the typical Marios, Metroids, Zeldas, Mega Mans, Square RPGs, and Sonics?

I'm interested in a good mix of platformers, action, adventure, and RPGs. Anything as long as it has a campaign/story mode of some kind and isn't insanely difficult or too long. I'm especially open to Game Boy/Color, Game Gear, Master System, and Genesis/MegaDrive suggestions because I'm not sure what's out there for these platforms.

Right now I'm working on The Secret of Evermore and Earthworm Jim (SNES version). I'll probably move on to Crystalis and Castlevania after those.

I'll type up a list when I get home, but I will say I think March of the Black Queen is really rough and suffers the most from Ogre Battle's typical problem of not communicating its systems to the player very well

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Waroduce posted:

I've have War for the Overworld and Dungeons II on my wishlist forever because Dungeon Keeper was a favorite game of mine as a kid. Are these poo poo, does anyone have an opinion on either? None of the reviews make me want to buy the game.....
Dungeons 2 is under $5 in the current Humble Bundle, and comes with legit great games so even if you hate it you've got some good stuff to play.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I picked up the mega man legacy collection in the sale and played MM1 and enjoyed it. I got killed by yellow devil a few times and had to stop

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Phantasium posted:

Just naming some of the obscure poo poo on my shelf (Shatter Hand and Little Nemo are on the NES, rest is SNES):

King Arthur's World (Weird Lemmings/RTS type of game. The opening tutorial kind of sucks, though and there's a lot of it).

This game was cool as gently caress, I guess it was the first RTS I know of which ended up being one of my favorite genres once I got into PC gaming. It was really difficult though, I could barely get through the first world and after that I could not progress any further.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Phantasium posted:

UN Squadron (I don't know if this is obscure anymore, but it's a cool )

I totally forgot about this one, it was really good.

Also Double Dragon 1 and 2 and the entire Contra series up until PSX. Then on PSX, a great Contra-like was One.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

play mcdonald's treasure land adventure for genesis

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World is the only mega drive game I've ever played but it's pretty cool and you can blow through it in like an hour.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

man the genesis just looks so cool

e: this one is missing HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS which was deffo part of the best looking console factor

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

oddium posted:

play mcdonald's treasure land adventure for genesis

M.C. Kids for NES is a pretty good SMB2-like and you can be a cool 90's dude with a high top fade.

Also you can chill with Grimace.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What the hell is Grimace supposed to be, anyway? Just a shape with arms?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Jay Rust posted:

Depression personified.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

He's supposed to represent a milkshake

This is not a joke

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i looked him up on the mcdonald's wikia and he used to be evil, and have four arms

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Regy Rusty posted:

This is not a joke

:stare:

Learn something new everyday.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Regy Rusty posted:

This is not a joke

Actually it seems he started as an evil character who stole milkshakes.

http://mcdonalds.wikia.com/wiki/Grimace

Also, there is a McDonalds wiki. I'm not sure why this surprised me.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

quote:

Grimace was last seen at Dodger Stadium on July 18th, 2012 vs. the Philadephia Phillies, dancing to Ram Jam's 1977 classic, Black Betty.

pray for grimace ... :pray:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Regy Rusty posted:

This is not a joke

So why did they make him purple? :negative:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

oddium posted:

i looked him up on the mcdonald's wikia and he used to be evil, and have four arms

His species is also apparently called "Grimace" which is just plain dumb

No mention of him being a milkshake man, just that he stole milkshakes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Let's see what the official McDonald's corporation Twitter account has to say on the matter:

https://twitter.com/mcdonaldscorp/status/199497184335511553

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Someone update the wiki

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

speaking of klasky csupo play aaa real monsters for snes. i don't know if it's good but i played it a lot as a child

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I had like 3 of these

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

wow someone was really into birthday world

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

oddium posted:

wow someone was really into birthday world

I mean 3 different episodes!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

pray for grimace ... :pray:

Lol

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Uncle O'Grimacey needs to come back.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

oddium posted:

speaking of klasky csupo play aaa real monsters for snes. i don't know if it's good but i played it a lot as a child

That dog thing on the bottom right is terrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

This game was cool as gently caress, I guess it was the first RTS I know of which ended up being one of my favorite genres once I got into PC gaming. It was really difficult though, I could barely get through the first world and after that I could not progress any further.

The third set of worlds is this weird surreal monster paradise in the sky, and it's rad as poo poo.

• Locked thread