Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Still on mumble or have we transitioned to the glorious world of Discord?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
Still on mumble. There is a discord but we mostly use it to talk poo poo and hit on people's daughters.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Is this game still the same as it was when I flamed out last year basically?

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

lrms are more prevalent than ever at lower tiers. other than that... yeah.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Paramemetic posted:

brawling is p. good now

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Rysithusiku posted:

Still on mumble. There is a discord but we mostly use it to talk poo poo and hit on people's daughters.

Don't you shame me, Ricky Bobby.

I hit on his wife too.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Paramemetic posted:

Yes, down to the goons doggedly insisting that brawling is good now in the vain hope of convincing themselves.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Cease to Hope posted:

Yes, down to the goons doggedly insisting that brawling is good now in the vain hope of convincing themselves.

1/2 true. Brawling can be fun, but dying to 4 uac 10's @700m so often you don't get to enough makes it suck just as much.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Brawling is easy if you don't just run into an enemy gun line and kill yourself. It doesn't work if you position yourself like a dumbass.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
brawling is good and cool and of course if you run straight at an enemy line you will die but in 90% of the maps in this game there is enough cover to close in and wreck face

source: we win running all-Centurion decks

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
it reminds me of tanks where if you're set up to brawl and you don't get control of important chokepoints as soon as the match starts, you're probably going to do really badly.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

brawling is good and cool and of course if you run straight at an enemy line you will die but in 90% of the maps in this game there is enough cover to close in and wreck face

source: we win running all-Centurion decks

This is true and good and legitimately fun.

Stalling is what gets us killed.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Uh oh, I got an email from gm patience. I guess I requested assistance too much.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I haven't received anything yet from that pubbie clan that whined: "since you killed me I guess I have time to write an email."

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It took months of trolling for them to get around to e-mailing me.

Furiously
Jan 4, 2014

...and Furiously as The Beagle.
I think you got singled out.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
I can't help it if you kids don't like charging in like a maniac. I'm a purer strain of idiot if you will.

Besides, charging into half their team and still taking 2 with me driving a 3xMG/ASRM4 Cent AH was totally worth it last night. :c00lbutt:

I'm not saying brawling doesn't exist or is bad, just the level of resistance one robot can dish out in .5 seconds makes it harder to get there. Don't play like me if you value your e-cred in this e-serious e-sport.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

armchairyoda posted:

I can't help it if you kids don't like charging in like a maniac. I'm a purer strain of idiot if you will.

Besides, charging into half their team and still taking 2 with me driving a 3xMG/ASRM4 Cent AH was totally worth it last night. :c00lbutt:

I'm not saying brawling doesn't exist or is bad, just the level of resistance one robot can dish out in .5 seconds makes it harder to get there. Don't play like me if you value your e-cred in this e-serious e-sport.

I approve of the charging strategy. I'd approve of it even more if we could get everyone to scream a goon warcry into the game's voice chat at the same time while we charge. :colbert:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I invented suicide light charges with Huggins for 800 damage so you know I'm all about charging

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Azuth0667 posted:

goon warcry

Need assistance!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
So, I've been using the ongoing XP-event to get some basic mech skills for my little stable of lovely mechs. Today, I've met the probably best player of tier 4, who somehow shot the center torso of my Adder through a high and very massive wall, stripped the nearly untouched armor off with this one single shot and destroyed my engine. Leaving the entire rest of my mech untouched.

What

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Can't die to engine crits alone in MWO, gotta lose the CT structure; can't really comment on the rest of the situation without being there, but the Adder has a huge flat top that is almost all CT, might have been someone above who shot it. Happens a lot since everything is taller than the Adder.

aniviron fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 27, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

aniviron posted:

Can't die to engine crits alone in MWO, gotta lose the CT components; can't really comment on the rest of the situation without being there, but the Adder has a huge flat top that is almost all CT, might have been someone above who shot it. Happens a lot since everything is taller than the Adder.

Yeah, that was my first thought, too. But I was behind a wall when I was one-shot. And since my Adder is indeed rather flat and small, it would have been kind of hard for the enemies (who to be fair where are all bunched up at a high place) on the other side of the walls to shoot me.

Anyway, if that was legit, I'm honestly impressed. The next time I'm on that map, I'll try to walk up there to see if it's possible to shoot behind the walls from that angle. (I don't think so, it didn't seem that high, but you never know. :shrug: )

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There are cheats for this game in the wild, but none that allow you to shoot through walls, and not that many period. The game is really really bad at signaling how you get killed though, and there are a lot of weird ways to die/get shot. Most of the time it's gonna just be getting shot from a weird angle, latency, etc.; but it's always hard to say without actually having been there.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
You likely got shot from behind by a stealthy mech. I was talking about this earlier, down in the low tiers where people haven't played very long, its amazingly easy to sneak up on people. You likely got nicked by an ecm mech you never saw. It happens. Take another shot and ready up, cause you're keeping the group waiting.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
One shotting lights from behind that have decided to stand still is a time honored tradition of light pilots.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Sometimes, if I'm sneakier than I expected to be, I can sidle up to a cute medium and introduce him to my splatwolf.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

I think the sneakiest thing you can do is shoot one of your pubbies repeatedly then feign incompetence enough until they get angry enough to give you the dumb pubbie stare. Continue apologizing profusely to lull them into a false sense of security then when they least expect it alpha them in the head. Moderate effort for a high chance of dumb pubbies having a meltdown over the in-game voice.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Works even better if they are convinced that it was someone else up until you deliver the coup de grace. If you're really lucky you can start impromptu trials of position!

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

protier is doing the sparking the whole meltdown without ever dealing damage. <90m ppcs, <180m lrms, and flamers for top points.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I have gotten enough pissed off pubbies to kill me by just flaming around them that I am worried an email from customer support is eventually gonna hit my inbox.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Plek posted:

I have gotten enough pissed off pubbies to kill me by just flaming around them that I am worried an email from customer support is eventually gonna hit my inbox.

They don't even do anything about people who blatantly aimbot/wallhack and get called out on it by the rest of their spectating team. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Commoners posted:

One shotting lights from behind that have decided to stand still is a time honored tradition of light pilots.

I was running as fast as possible, though.

veedubfreak posted:

You likely got shot from behind by a stealthy mech. I was talking about this earlier, down in the low tiers where people haven't played very long, its amazingly easy to sneak up on people. You likely got nicked by an ecm mech you never saw. It happens. Take another shot and ready up, cause you're keeping the group waiting.

Possible, even though most enemy mechs were before us. Can an ECM-mech just walk through nearly a dozen of our own mechs without showing up on the radar? I knew ECM was good, but that good?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Libluini posted:

Possible, even though most enemy mechs were before us. Can an ECM-mech just walk through nearly a dozen of our own mechs without showing up on the radar? I knew ECM was good, but that good?

That's not an ECM thing. If you're not looking at them then you don't see them on the map unless someone else has them targeted.

Also never underestimate how terrible your team may have been at situational awareness, ability to actually play and all those other things you may take for granted.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

DancingShade posted:

They don't even do anything about people who blatantly aimbot/wallhack and get called out on it by the rest of their spectating team. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I dunno, like, all of my friends have gotten ban warnings over poo poo like 'intentional overheating' and 'hiding' during a match. I mean, I'm not gonna stop. But I fully expect to get my hand smacked for pissing off one of their whales.

e: Or I would, if I could bother playing more than once every two weeks.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well they can log you suiciding or going out of bounds because the game explicitly reports that and it affects your match score. Obviously the MWO client doesn't automatically report on how each player has their artificial aiming client configured and they don't use Fairfight because I believe that costs money.

So they can action you for trolling since they can spot that but they can't action you for literal cheating since it's beyond their capability to track outside of watching raw video footage.

Fun!

(also if rumors are to be believed, it's so widespread they'd lose a ton of paying customers if they actually cracked down)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

PSA for those who don't keep up with events: today, if you spend 100MC on (doubled) GXP conversion, you get a day of premium time (and a cockpit item).

With doubled event XP, +50% from the aforementioned premium time, and the 2x first win of the day modifier all stacking for a 6x total, you can comfortably knock out basics for any mech in two games. So if you have any crappy mechs gathering dust, tonight's the time to take them out of the garage.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Commoners posted:

Or two making GBS threads idiot mediums who have barely any back armor

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Libluini posted:

pubbies are bad. ive watched a timber wolf walk right through the middle of a half dozen enemies unharassed, never mind an ecm light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Want to take advantage of the doubled XP and basic out a third Timberwolf and Summoner. For TWolfs I have the A and S, for the Summoners I have the two Loyalty variants. Suggestions on which give me the best omnipods to make interesting builds? Leaning towards the Missile Summoner and the C model TWolf.

• Locked thread