Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Wow this U+ fight looks nuts. I feel like this is one of those situations where RWing Wall and only having 2 uses of it is going to hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
It is done. Red Soul and Ahriman have both tasted my kung fu and now my Onion Knight is a fully dived man.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
I would like to state for the record that gently caress that Ultimate +

I don't think any fight I've only wiped once to has ever pissed me off that much, mostly because I had to sleep through three entire boss fights, then eat two loving Quakes off the bat, from Titan, because Y'shtola never got hit/they decided 8000~ pre-mitigation was a good number for an attack a boss that far in could use off the bat.

And then it turns out the Quakes are just loving random as hell. On something that late in. I do finagling to MAKE SURE I have Wall up and he just farts around and uses one Quake, the second time.

gently caress that U+.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Evil Fluffy posted:

Why are you not using Lifesiphon on Vaan? :psyduck:

I don't use him at all, didn't realise he had combat 4 :v:

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Eeeeh it's been a while, I dropped a 5 bucks on FFRK to get some gems. Time to do some 100 pulls.

...And I get arc's white mage robes on Luneth 1, gave me a heart attack when I saw that 5* popping up. I thought I was getting the bracers!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I Sure Do Love This Series Of Bonus Battles

Literally All Of Them Resist Earth

So Much For Trying To Use Maria

Ha Ha Ha

:geno:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SageAcrin posted:

So I make a joking crack about how this EXP sack dragon had a dark aura around it and seemed kinda weird.

Then Red Dragon Ultimate dropped an Onion Mote for me.

Dang, wonder what the drop rate on him is like; I may farm the rest of my Onion Motes there if it's really high, bc I absolutely trashed him harder than I have an Ultimate in a long time (I blame the abundance of Moderate+ fire resist accessories and my luck with non-elemental SBs I guess)

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Crushed the event and mote dungeon and Cid Missions with my new FFIII toys. I think I'm set in that realm, too bad there's not more events in there!

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Yeah, this series of bonus battles is sort of amazing for that quirk, in that it's the opposite of usual.

"I'm sure glad they decided to highlight their headliner set of Fire, Earth and Wind Bursts, with a series of bosses that, in the latter cases, have one weakness between six bosses and in the first case literally has no weaknesses in there at all. Oh and they threw an extra Earth resist on the U++ for no reason."

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Mastered ahriman + all bonus battles. Ended the U++ with Ramza and Tidus eating dirt, but OK's incredibly sustainable BSB commands saved the day.

I think the U++ would have been a lot harder if I hadn't RWed indomitable blade to eat all the single target magic for me.

e: Congratulatory dollar pull got me...Desch's imperil lightning SSB. Huh. Guess I use him now!

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 27, 2016

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Dollar draw gave me desch's ssb sword. I already have his original sb sword, and this only improves his magic marginally so uh... More attack synergy for luneth and ingus?

At least his ssb is way better than his first sb.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan

Sprite141 posted:

Dollar draw gave me desch's ssb sword. I already have his original sb sword, and this only improves his magic marginally so uh... More attack synergy for luneth and ingus?

At least his ssb is way better than his first sb.

Doesn't the original give lightning enchant? That's still super good.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Garin posted:

Doesn't the original give lightning enchant? That's still super good.

It gives En-Lightning....but it has a multiplier about the same as a -ja spell.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
My old phone bricked itself earlier today. Got a new phone and all my FFRK stuff was saved to my Google Play account so that's fine, but I don't have a Facebook account so I lost what little progress I'd made in Kingdom Hearts Unchained X. I've spent the last 2 hours fruitlessly searching through the terrible in-game party search function to try and track down the group of people I was partied with to try and get some information that might help Square Enix customer support migrate my old account to my new phone without using Facebook. I was unable to do so. :smith:

Finally gave up on it for the night, hopped on Record Keeper and threw 100 gems at Banner 2, not really expecting anything useful.

Got Refia's BSB. :unsmith:

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
It's a regular soul break, though. Most of those have been relegated to good utility. Damage typically comes from the levels beyond these days.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

This is freaking insanity. I counted thirteen hits in the first phase. However, that rigging the slot animation was cute and silly.

The burst symbols are green and blue with a flurry of cards indicating perhaps a debuff of some type or maybe an element.

After seeing the attacks in action within the video first the blue attack is selected then green. Both attacks seem to surround an aura around the target indicating a debuff instead of elemental damage.

In closing, my interest is piqued.

*edit* breakdown of attack.

Deal fourteen non-elemental attacks to random targets, user gains haste and burst mode.

*second edit*

Did a recount of the first phase and spotted one more hit.

Munoma fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 27, 2016

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

And then Dogea/Unei takes like three tries, two of which were devoted entirely to getting them to not spend their first four or five turns drumming on one person and one "oh I REALLY need dispel" in and out.

I swear this is a weird set of Ultimates. U++ isn't even easy, it's just mostly a kind of weird slog where the risk mostly seems to come from if you don't have enough offense to straight up slugfest it one at a time(as they both get very, very angry at lower life), but if you play by its rules it seems okay.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

KnoxZone posted:

Onion doesn't need any relics to carry the team. Good god the aoe spam at the end was hellish.

Yeah that fight was crushing me. I did it twice because like you the first time the only thing I had alive was Onion Knight. Second time I redid my strategy and it worked better but christ the spam was rough.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

I'm ready for Monk Meta....

:getin:

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
So why exactly is Gilgamesh's OSB the worst? It seems like it has a good modifier to boost it.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Servaetes posted:

So why exactly is Gilgamesh's OSB the worst? It seems like it has a good modifier to boost it.

It has the worst damage numbers save for Tyro's and Edgar's and literally nothing else going for it. 1320 modifier non-Elemental damage, that's it, that's all it'll ever do. Most other OSBs are 1200 potency and can both hit elemental weaknesses and get boosted by elemental gear/matching Enelement SBs, Edgar's has bad potency but it's AoE which is a unique characteristic for OSBs, Tyro's has a unique ATK/DEF/MAG/RES buff which I don't know if it's actually any good but at least it's something you can't get anywhere else and Vaan's, which I think is the runner-up for Worst OSB, has 1400 potency if all five stats are debuffed. It just plain has the worst numbers for a class of SB that is almost all strictly about big numbers.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Koobes posted:

It gives En-Lightning....but it has a multiplier about the same as a -ja spell.

I don't want to waste a devotion rm spot on the sb charge, and I'm really not gnna see myself being able to alternate sb's. Especially since the ssb has a self faith which I'll need to keep up. As well as having imperil thunder and good damage. If I can get the enthunder sb going at the same time, I'd be super surprised.

Edit: Also the magic sword isn't good as an attack stat stick for me, as I already have luneth's first sb sword and a fully rosetta stoned ssb holy boosting sword for ingus. Desch's sword is only +10 attack over the holy sword, which isn't worth it to switch.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Sprite141 posted:

I don't want to waste a devotion rm spot on the sb charge, and I'm really not gnna see myself being able to alternate sb's. Especially since the ssb has a self faith which I'll need to keep up. As well as having imperil thunder and good damage. If I can get the enthunder sb going at the same time, I'd be super surprised.

Edit: Also the magic sword isn't good as an attack stat stick for me, as I already have luneth's first sb sword and a fully rosetta stoned ssb holy boosting sword for ingus. Desch's sword is only +10 attack over the holy sword, which isn't worth it to switch.

You could run Desch with Wrath + Ace Striker. It'd be pretty good on a mage team where your 5*/6* hones and Devotion are already taken by another mage. Give him a spell for that other slot, or run the bard versions of Proshellga, or even the weak Faithga bardsong if you're using Onion BSB as your hastega.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

So just to check if my math is correct. Refia needs 400 atk to 5 hit lifebane with her SSB/Onion BSB/Shout, or 310 atk with SSB/OK BSB/Default SB/Shout, correct?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Huh, 100 gems got me a shield. I didn't know Ingus got a BSB.

Now, a 5* is a 5*, and even Tiny Bee is something, but how excited should I be?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Koobes posted:

So just to check if my math is correct. Refia needs 400 atk to 5 hit lifebane with her SSB/Onion BSB/Shout, or 310 atk with SSB/OK BSB/Default SB/Shout, correct?

Yup. You can make it easier on yourself by making Refia cast the burst or giving her Dragoon's Determination (both 20% boosts).

Shout + Onion/Refia SSB/Default SB + DD = 433
Shout + Onion/Refia SSB/Default SB + Burst Mode + DD = 361

Bell_ posted:

Self ATK/DEF buff is good if you have weak synergy or once the ATK cap is raised, the Sentinel effect combined with Retailiate on his commands are also great for mitigation. Ingus can't use Retaliate without diving him, so the BSB let's you save on diving him for that. Refia and OK's BSBs are just top tier so Ingus sorta falls into the background, despite having a pretty good SB.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 27, 2016

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Last fall I spent every mythril on the first XIV banner and went something like 0/45.

Then I saved for months and in the spring spent 150-200 on SSB5 and FFT but missed out on SG and Shout.

Haven't pulled on any realm-specific banners since then, just the Lucky Draws and 2 Burst Festival banners.

Patience finally paid off: Onion's BSB and a Lust Dagger on my first 11x! :woop:

600+ mythril still saved up for OSBFest and XIV and Thunder God. :getin:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Got Ingus's BSB (to go with his SSB) and Desch's sword (lol) on banner 2, dunno if it's worth doing a second pull. What's the next banner to save up for?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bell_ posted:

the buff is unique and stacks with everything, including the HotE buff it resembles, enelement (earth in this case) and it's tauntilate in a can. Earth isn't the best element and the tauntilate takes 3 turns to set up unlike Greg's BSB or the regular abilities 2 turns, but it's a very nice tool overall.

Edit: oh yeah and it has non-elemental secondary typing so no one is safe. It's pretty good.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 27, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

bizarre deformity posted:

Got Ingus's BSB (to go with his SSB) and Desch's sword (lol) on banner 2, dunno if it's worth doing a second pull. What's the next banner to save up for?

FFXIV banner 1 in about a month. Deployment tactics, ley lines, oh my.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Doga opened by hitting OK for 7800, and he survived. I recovered and crushed them into paste.

Welcome to the A Team forever OK, goddamn :stare::love:

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

pichupal posted:

Yup. You can make it easier on yourself by making Refia cast the burst or giving her Dragoon's Determination (both 20% boosts).

Shout + Onion/Refia SSB/Default SB + DD = 433
Shout + Onion/Refia SSB/Default SB + Burst Mode + DD = 361

Ideally I want to use the +monk damage RM's to just dunk on nerds with how hard that ability can hit.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

finally i got nightmare Kaiser Dragon mastered. after i got my strat fully reliable and figured out it only took like two hours of attempts before the right phases popped up. the actual winning attempt was trivially easy (water -> lightning -> fire).

fun poo poo, dena

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Wow this U+ fight looks nuts. I feel like this is one of those situations where RWing Wall and only having 2 uses of it is going to hurt.

Have to say I had a super easy time with it. Celes SSB absorbed a lot of damage on the 3rd and 4th bosses though.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

U+ is insanely random, so yeah, some people are going to curbstomp it because Tsunami, Fire Breath, Flare and Quake all decide to not play.

It's sorta dumb.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
I egged celes to 99 to grab her +40% spellblade RM, mainly because I didn't need them for OK, and I felt bad for my boy butz that his BSB is starting to age.

Stacked that with Cids goggles, and flurry storm was hitting HARD against the Ahriman, about 6500 a hit.

You're alright, butts :unsmith:

Now what to do with these motes. I came up trumps for OK relics, so I'm tempted to use them on someone else... Maybe just sit on them a while?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Put a mage meta team together, my first, for the White Dragon fight as I'm still finishing up the IV event, and it worked well. I was pleased by this, so threw the last 50 Mythril I was willing to use to chase the Onion Gauntlets in...

Missed those, but pulled Luneth's BSB instead, so I'm happy. I'd be chasing only the Gauntlets if I spent more Mythril so I'll wait for them to reappear and keep the 183 Mythril I have left for something else. :)

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Garin posted:

It is done. Red Soul and Ahriman have both tasted my kung fu and now my Onion Knight is a fully dived man.

Was just coming to post the same. OnionBro is fully realized, he just needs 4 more levels to be complete. Only thing I'm missing is his MAG SSB from the 2nd banner, but he's already bonkers enough (and I don't want to spend anymore mythril on this event).

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
I was thinking of going Full Husband on the second banner for Ingus but I might just not get lucky so I want more chances of pulls on XIV. It's either that or, if the fest banners are the same, pulling on the banner that has Firion and Warrior of Light bursts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I'm not even mad that I got a 4* on my 100 gem and don't have the money for an 11-pull; it turns out the Black Friday draw gave me the BSB I never knew I needed.

Between Vaan BSB, Celes BSB, Aerith BSB, Zell SSB, and Shout, my A-team is complete. :swoon: The only thing that gave me problems at all with the bonus battles/mote dungeon was the fact that Ahriman can petrify with its beginning-of-battle chump shots.

• Locked thread