Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Baloogan posted:

no
they are on the warfare sims site which i could link if i weren't typing on the worst smart phone in the world

http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=1876 there ya go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Has anyone tried Sovereignty Crown of Kings? I've mostly ignored it as a early access title on Steam but since it's on sale if it's looking to be a decent game I might pick it up.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So how is Ultimate General Civil war gonna be different from
gettysburg?

And how are the multiplayer options? Their website is not very clear and I can't watch video previews.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
More maps (though not really in the current build), slightly better 3d stuff so you actually have a vague chance of positioning artillery well, fortifications you can man on some maps, army development/campaign stuff and... you actually have access to cavalry and skirmishers in meaningful numbers. You can also make distinctions between rapid firing units and accurate long range units via choosing their weaponry and picking commanding officers with the right skills.

Just generally bigger and better really.

There's also a long way to go through early access (more maps/missions, balance, bugs), so waiting six to twelve months to pick up the finished game instead of burning out on the EA version is probably smart.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I loving wish it'd have coop, but once again I might be poo poo out of luck.

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003
War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition is $39.99 right now - if you've been on the fence, this is the lowest I've ever seen it.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

paradigmblue posted:

War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition is $39.99 right now - if you've been on the fence, this is the lowest I've ever seen it.

Yea I just picked it up last night. I have no idea what I am doing; it's awesome!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Yeah it'll never get cheaper than this. Also Paradigm i'll have the turn on its way soon, real life interferes as always.

Saros fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 25, 2016

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

paradigmblue posted:

:frogsiren: :getin: :frogsiren:

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Nullkigan posted:

More maps (though not really in the current build), slightly better 3d stuff so you actually have a vague chance of positioning artillery well, fortifications you can man on some maps, army development/campaign stuff and... you actually have access to cavalry and skirmishers in meaningful numbers. You can also make distinctions between rapid firing units and accurate long range units via choosing their weaponry and picking commanding officers with the right skills.

Just generally bigger and better really.

There's also a long way to go through early access (more maps/missions, balance, bugs), so waiting six to twelve months to pick up the finished game instead of burning out on the EA version is probably smart.

Being able to detach and attach skirmishers is so loving nice.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

paradigmblue posted:

If I've never played a real grognard-type game before (Paradox games are probably the closest I've come), but really enjoyed the various LPs of this game, is it approachable enough to get into?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

A hahaha hahaha *wipes away tear*

Yes but no. If you start small its manageable but the full campaign is just silly complicated.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

What do people think of Hegemony III?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Got CMNAO. Are they planning to make the interface adaptive for super hi res screens? Got a 4K screen and it's all pretty unreadable :(

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

I like USE more but there are some things Totaler Krieg! does much better and why I love it. TK is basically choose your own adventure WWII and I love it for it.

Yeah, I was just fooling around . TK is awesome that way.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Is Sengoku Jidai or Pike & Shot better? I sorta want to get one or the other while they're on sale and RPS seems to prefer Sengoku

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

Gully Foyle posted:

If I've never played a real grognard-type game before (Paradox games are probably the closest I've come), but really enjoyed the various LPs of this game, is it approachable enough to get into?

I never played a Grognard game before WitP:AE, and while I'm still learning with every turn, it's pretty easy to get into. Moving ships, troops, and planes around the map is easy and intuitive. The devil of WitP:AE is in the details - which vs the AI you can ignore for the most part, but vs a player you absolutely need to delve into.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

sum posted:

Is Sengoku Jidai or Pike & Shot better? I sorta want to get one or the other while they're on sale and RPS seems to prefer Sengoku

Mechanically the same - just if you prefer an English or Japanese setting.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Doesn't SJ have some ui improvements or something?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Got CMNAO. Are they planning to make the interface adaptive for super hi res screens? Got a 4K screen and it's all pretty unreadable :(

I believe Baloogan said the other day that that's something they're working on right now.

That or a drunken shitpost, 50-50.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

nessin posted:

Has anyone tried Sovereignty Crown of Kings? I've mostly ignored it as a early access title on Steam but since it's on sale if it's looking to be a decent game I might pick it up.

Also interested in this.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I bought CMANO and have no clue what i'm doing but I feel like a general or something so 10/10

Also, Strategic Command: War In Europe is really good

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

paradigmblue posted:

Buy it and play me. :getin:

Gully Foyle posted:

I didn't find the learning curve to steep, though I've owned the game for years and still learn things.

The worst thing you'll ever have to do is the first turn. After that you can learn as you go, and turns don't take 4 hours.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 26, 2016

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
note to self: in 1800s America, supplies are not a goddamned joke. invest in them whenever possible.

Do not, as a hypothetical example, go into a major battle, like say, Shiloh, without sufficient supplies to fight the battle.

I have no idea how I managed a draw when I had no ammo, and I have no idea how I still managed to kill more rebels than I lost union boys. Still had to disband most of my 2nd corps (now a single division) to bring 1st corps back up to strength.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sengoku jidai question: Are fortifications a thing that can appear in campaign battles or is jut a scenario/skirmish only thing?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

WitPAE chat: I'm debating getting a smallish laptop for some (very light) work-related tasks, but I'd like it to also be able to play WItP, and other non-graphically intensive grog games, since I can't play it on my machine at home at my desktop resolution. (And because 1080 looks AWFUL on a 32" monitor.)

It would be my first laptop, because laptops are dumb for games. Suggest things to me.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MrYenko posted:

WitPAE chat: I'm debating getting a smallish laptop for some (very light) work-related tasks, but I'd like it to also be able to play WItP, and other non-graphically intensive grog games, since I can't play it on my machine at home at my desktop resolution. (And because 1080 looks AWFUL on a 32" monitor.)

It would be my first laptop, because laptops are dumb for games. Suggest things to me.

Pretty sure you can change WITP to a custom resolution if you edit a .txt file.

Edit: Also the shortcut.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 26, 2016

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

It's done via editing the startup properties of the shortcut you use to launch it. There's a bunch of customisable things doing this.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ya, it still artifacts to gently caress and gone at 4k. I've tried a whole slew of command line switches and combinations, too. :(

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm only at 1440p but I run WitP in a smaller window anyways so that I can look at Combat Reporter at the same time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I'm only at 1440p but I run WitP in a smaller window anyways so that I can look at Combat Reporter at the same time.

I have combat reporter on a second monitor, but that's a reasonable idea...

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Someone please talk me out of getting Northern Inferno I am not sure if I am ready for such grognarding.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SkySteak posted:

Someone please talk me out of getting Northern Inferno I am not sure if I am ready for such grognarding.

Its actually really fun compared to many other scanerios

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Phi230 posted:

Its actually really fun compared to many other scanerios

What is it about them that makes it so fun vs other scenarios?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Its really authentic feeling, made by a guy whos been in the royal navy for longer than most folks in this thread have been alive. He was in the falkland's war!

Caveat: I'm a dev on cmano so I'm pretty biased

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Thank gently caress for an actual Matrix sale - I finally felt justified in throwing my idiot self down this rabbit hole, and bought War in the Pacific and CMANO since they seem to be thread darlings.

THANKS, NERDS! I have...very little idea what I'm doing, but hey. Sounds fun. I've at least played things like Dominions 3 and love Distant Worlds, so that's...a starting point, I guess.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 27, 2016

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
WiTP noobs, share your experiences with the game! If I wasn't packing my computer up for a move, I'd suggest a beginner's campaign to learn the ropes

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bought CMANO

Nuked San Francisco with a Minuteman II using the editor.

GOTY would buy again.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

algebra testes posted:

GOTY would buy again.
WOTY, it's in the title of the game, man. :colbert:

I tried a scenario where you have to sink libyan oil tankers with a sub and accidentally sunk a neutral ship and discovered that libyan tankers can take three torpedos and a harpoon without sinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I tried the scenario where you have to beat up the venezuelans, and they have an f-16 and keep shooting me down :(