Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

Seasonal change is kind of a no go because you'd actually need different versions of the entire overworld, I think. Dunno how to make things snowier but there are mods that will beef up the various storms.

Looks like CoT has what I need with an optional winter file.

Honestly, my biggest wish for a mod would be realistic day/night cycles. Skyrim is in the far north, dammit, there shouldn't be any daylight during the winter months! This mod changes the times but isn't dynamic and has to be run every time to set your location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

drat EnaiSiaion has made some good mods.

Which is more recommended now, Wildcat or Smilodon?

What I'd still love to see is if he/she could uniquify armor (and weapons) beyond the item's weigh/armor/class rating.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GunnerJ posted:

Seasonal change is kind of a no go because you'd actually need different versions of the entire overworld, I think. Dunno how to make things snowier but there are mods that will beef up the various storms.

To think Arena and Daggerfall could change textures dynamically, and Skyrim can't. SMH

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Burns posted:

What I'd still love to see is if he/she could uniquify armor (and weapons) beyond the item's weigh/armor/class rating.

I've been really liking wildcat. It really discourages charging in instead of blocking, dodging and picking your moments.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Burns posted:

I'm pretty sure Smilodon is just a stripped-down-to-the-bone version of Wildcat.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Wildcat owns

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
ENB was crashing my game during loading (worked fine previously), and after an hour of tweaking, reinstalling, etc., I ran out of ideas, so I reset my computer.

Which apparently did the trick.

I didn't install anything in the interim.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Burns posted:

Speaking of Enai Siaion, I recently started using most of his mods, but there seems to be a painful lack of clarity in his descriptions/patch notes. Such as...

"Contingency: At will - Weave spells into an auto-cast trigger with specific conditions."
It seems to only save one contingency at a time, and there is no way to look up what contingency you have set.

"The Human Spirit: At levels 10/20/30, you may change your attributes/resistances/skills."
The word "change" is vague, and at least at 10/20 it's just raise one and lower another, I haven't gotten to level 30 yet, so I don't know how that one works.

"Ability: Tower Key: Gain the ability to open a strong lock once a day and open weaker locks at will."
This one is actually clarified a little bit in game, and this line is even a bit misleading. It turns out you can open one Expert or lower lock a day, and you can only open Adept or lower locked Doors at will.

Maybe I'm the only one bothered by this, but there is just a lack of verbal precision that leads to me not knowing exactly what some things will do, or are supposed to do, and if someone knows somewhere all the specifics are written down, I would love to know.
I don't mean to seem overly negative, I love basically all of the changes, I just wish I knew what they all were ahead of time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Whatever the ENB, whatever the settings, I can't seem to get 60 fps outdoors (high 50s).

I have a 4GB 970, with a Skylake i5. Am I being too ambitious or is there likely something I'm doing wrong/overlooking.

e:Turning off texture packs seems to have zero effect.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 26, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rinkles posted:

Whatever the ENB, whatever the settings, I can't seem to get 60 fps outdoors (high 50s).

I have a 4GB 970, with a Skylake i5. Am I being too ambitious or is there likely something I'm doing wrong/overlooking.

SSE or Oldrim?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

sebmojo posted:

SSE or Oldrim?

Regular.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Fuligin posted:

Wildcat owns

My first experience after installing wildcat:
Bandit leader proceeds to STFUppercut my torso with his 2h sword into the air...

Blood splatter mod rubbed in the amount of blood gushing from the wound all over the floor.

Game reloaded to 10 minutes earlier..

10/10 would download again.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Rinkles posted:

Check with GPU-Z to make sure your video card isn't throttling for whatever reason.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Check with GPU-Z to make sure your video card isn't throttling for whatever reason.

Seems to be a full load.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Aquasnake posted:

Speaking of Enai Siaion, I recently started using most of his mods, but there seems to be a painful lack of clarity in his descriptions/patch notes.

EnaiSiaion's stuff tends to be packed to the tits, so you're going to run across things that aren't as well developed as other parts. Descriptions are one of those things. Fortunately, that is mostly the extent of the rough edges - although I would probably consider Tower Key that you mentioned to maybe be one of those features that wasn't fully developed, and has strange rules that probably weren't intended because it would take a lot of extra effort to make it work as the description would lead one to believe.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rinkles posted:

Seems to be a full load.

that's what she said

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

sebmojo posted:

that's what she said

at*

Wish Mod Organizer handled EBN files as well. The few utilities I found seem unreliable.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm modding up Old Skyrim on my new machine (Windows 10, alas) and I had a question about textures. Can I pretty much just drop in Noble Skyrim and call it a day (aside from weapons, armor, individually-modeled 8K eyelashes, etc), or are there holes I'd still want to fill in? (Using performance textures since my old eyes can rarely tell the difference anyway)

Loving all the suggestions in the OP these days.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

docbeard posted:

I'm modding up Old Skyrim on my new machine (Windows 10, alas) and I had a question about textures. Can I pretty much just drop in Noble Skyrim and call it a day (aside from weapons, armor, individually-modeled 8K eyelashes, etc), or are there holes I'd still want to fill in? (Using performance textures since my old eyes can rarely tell the difference anyway)

Loving all the suggestions in the OP these days.

i had to ask myself this a while back and yes, there are some holes that Noble Skyrim (most of the world at large) and AmidianBorn (things that go on you) miss

scamtank posted:

I'm just gonna ignore that "minimal effort" bit and trust you know yourself where to draw the line when improving:

- shrines
- tapestries
- jewelry, esp. the "jewel" bit
- pelts and furs, but almost everything made by Gamwich that has a giant allcaps RUSTIC in the title is honestly fackin diamond m8

one kinda open sore is how garbage the statues of the gods and daedra look. I downloaded a thing myself, but for allegedly 2K textures they're still bad enough that I won't bother linking that one

the RUSTIC stuff is pretty hit and miss honestly, there are a bunch of gems but a few are just misguided and look bad despite the resolution. you must judge the previews for yourself

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Rinkles posted:

at*

Wish Mod Organizer handled EBN files as well. The few utilities I found seem unreliable.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/67077/

Works great for every bethesda game that supports it.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
To what extent does Windows 10 preclude advanced graphics mods? I ran a pretty mod heavy loadout of Skyrim and consistently crashed whenever I approached Whiterun. Now, this was probably entirely my fault, as I was running over 100 mods.

However, I kept all the gameplay mods, turned off the graphics mods(primarily Noble Skyrim and SMIM) and turned the resolution down from 2k to 1080p, and now the game works completely fine. Of the graphic overhauls in the OP, which are the least likely to disrupt Windows 10 RAM limitations?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Gyshall posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/67077/

Works great for every bethesda game that supports it.

Thanks. Will try it.

Maybe it should be in the OP? I had a poor experience with the one mentioned in the ENB section. Actually that was an even different one.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
WICO Character overhaul is such an awesome modification.
The characters look so amazingly better after this mod. General Tullius especially.

My only gripe is they made nude female models but left the ability to have "Clean female textures" during install, which until I full looted my first dead female corpse did I find out what they were trying to convey.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

TipsyMcStagger posted:

The characters look so amazingly better after this mod. General Tullius especially.

My only gripe is they made nude female models but left the ability to have "Clean female textures" during install, which until I full looted my first dead female corpse did I find out what they were trying to convey.

Should have read your whole post before clicking, didn't expect to get a eyefull of bare rear end at the end of the description. :v:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I love the patch notes that say, "It's compatible with everything that doesn't modify NPC records. Probably needs a bashed patch.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Something that pisses me off about all these mod files is they use abbreviations for other mods on compatibility.

Like how that gently caress am I supposed to know what CHSBHC (BBP) or UNPB is?

I don't look at my mod plug ins and files and think "Oh that giant text of Immersive Armors and Legionaire armor is IALA"

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Something that pisses me off about all these mod files is they use abbreviations for other mods on compatibility.

Like how that gently caress am I supposed to know what CHSBHC (BBP) or UNPB is?

I don't look at my mod plug ins and files and think "Oh that giant text of Immersive Armors and Legionaire armor is IALA"

Just assume most of them mean nudie texture until proven otherwise.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Cheap Shot posted:

Just assume most of them mean nudie texture until proven otherwise.

*immersive nudes

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hahaha, I'd almost forgotten my favorite (unironic) part of the modding game, where I look up a mod I remember using, browse through the description, and run across like 20 more mods that I SUDDENLY MUST HAVE. Not that they're required by the mod, BUT I NEED THEM.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

hope and vaseline posted:

*immersive nudes

You forgot "lore-friendly."

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yes because noone wore loincloths and other undergarments under their clothes for some reason, especially as cold as skyrim is.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Immersive lore-friendly HD thermal underwear (requires SKSE).

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Are the textures 4096x4096

It is important, for my immersion of course

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Supposedly this mod sets a ton of NPCs as essential these days, after the author stopped being okay with The Community. Including ones that need to die. I don't know if that's true but if you run into something like that, this is the culprit

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Cavauro posted:

Supposedly this mod sets a ton of NPCs as essential these days, after the author stopped being okay with The Community. Including ones that need to die. I don't know if that's true but if you run into something like that, this is the culprit

After a quick check in SSEedit, it does add the protected state to a lot of npc's, which i think means they're only killable by the PC? hopefully that doesn't gently caress with anything too badly.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

The Doomhammer posted:

After a quick check in SSEedit, it does add the protected state to a lot of npc's, which i think means they're only killable by the PC? hopefully that doesn't gently caress with anything too badly.

Welp, check that mod off the list of ones to consider installing. Actually, the only character overhaul mod I really want is one that will make Zora Fair-Child from Interesting NPCs actually look scarred and burned rather than the vanilla "handprint on face".

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

The Doomhammer posted:

The Wico - Ussep patch actually reverts all those changes back to normal.
It kind of just looks like the author is trying to keep the actors from dying from random attacks. Was there some drama over this?

edit: I use it and like it fine so far :shrug:

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Speaking of Mods,

What are you guys using for Skyrim Special Edition that you find are must haves?

This is my current list

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Can you switch between inventories (your own and whatever you're interacting with) using a controller, with SkyUI on? Can't find the button. (and without disabling the interface w/ SkyAway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Rinkles posted:

Can you switch between inventories (your own and whatever you're interacting with) using a controller, with SkyUI on? Can't find the button. (and without disabling the interface w/ SkyAway)
It's the Back button, the tiny one near your left thumbstick. Or it was for me, anyway.