Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Sonata Mused posted:

I want more from the Pretty Face/Mx0 author.

Mx0 was too good for this stupid earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is Shaman King any good in terms of writing or art?

32 volumes is quite the financial investment for me, dunno if I should bother getting maybe the first 5 volumes or whatever and seeing how it is.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

32 volumes is quite the financial investment for me, dunno if I should bother getting maybe the first 5 volumes or whatever and seeing how it is.

Shaman King has a non ending from what I remember and is one of those series that put direct numbers to power levels which always annoys me

I thought the art was pretty good, especially in terms of the power designs towards the end

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Shaman King eventually got an ending. The story's pacing is kinda weird though cause it abruptly cuts to flashback storylines in the final arc to basically fill in the antagonist's motivations and etc, which end up being important in how it ultimately resolves.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

NikkolasKing posted:

I say go for it. I found it enjoyable enough; it doesn't really do anything different plot-wise- five dudes, tourney, world-saving- but thematically it goes to some surprisingly mature places and I've always kinda liked Hiroyuki's artistic style and character designs for how different they are in terms of essential body type. Plus, it's refreshingly free of fan-service if you care about that sort of thing, and the hero's love interest is much more interesting than the hero himself.

VVV Character design wise, yeah, I guess a few are pretty racist, as well as some truly ridiculous ideas about what happens in other countries... I didn't detect genuine malice behind it, so it didn't put me off, but your mileage may vary.

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 28, 2016

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wasn't one of the characters an incredibly racist stereotype?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
You might be thinking of Chocolove, the black thick lipped gang member jaguar shaman with a fro

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jesus

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Yeah... yeah that's him. :sigh: Luckily it's mostly his appearance and not his characterization... or that weird :biotruths: poo poo about Panther in Eyeshield 21.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Panther had the gravity defying ability inherent in all Black Men™

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Actually it was the elasticity only found in the muscles of the black man which allowed for the gravity defying run tyvm

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Does anyone know if Beet The Vandel Buster has started up again? I remember reading articles saying it was supposed to come back in Jump Square this year, but I can't find any confirmation as to whether or not that happened.

I ask since I recently found out Beet was written by my favorite Tokusatsu writer Riku Sanjo, so I became interested in reading his other works. But I also know that Beet went on hiatus ten years ago so I don't want to get invested if I know it'll Hunter X Hunter me at the end.

In the meantime I picked up the first volume of Dai's Big Adventure, which was apparently him too and I hear some good things about.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Beet is super boilerplate but I thought it was pretty enjoyable, but then I only watched the anime and own the first manga volume.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my big problem with shaman king is that it swiftly devolved into power level hell. if someone had x power levels, then they could never in a million years beat someone with x+1 power levels without first raising their level. it was just that same bullshit over and over again until the manga abruptly ended.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

AnonSpore posted:

Actually it was the elasticity only found in the muscles of the black man which allowed for the gravity defying run tyvm

if only it was about fibers instead of elasticity

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
By the way, for anyone who's curious, Amalgam of Distortion ranked in last place for chapter 1, so it's probably dead once it finishes its first volume or story arc.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

About where it deserves to be really. Art isn't horrible, but everything else about it is.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That's kind of a shame, the guys on the Shonen Jump Podcast were kind of pulling for it like it was gonna be the next Bleach or something.

How's Spring Weapon doing? That one seemed really funny from the first three chapters they published.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
We'll find out about Spring Weapon in next week's issue.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

How's Spring Weapon doing? That one seemed really funny from the first three chapters they published.

I only read the first two chapters, but I like how it's basically taking the piss out of stories like Amalgam of Distortion.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I hope Spring Weapon polls well, but his last series didn't last long in Jump either. It never got scanlated, so virtually unknown to us over here.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That's kind of a shame, the guys on the Shonen Jump Podcast were kind of pulling for it like it was gonna be the next Bleach or something.

Getting cancelled is kind of like being the next Bleach.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Even when a series deserves to be cancelled, I still always feel kinda bad because you know the writer must have been super excited about getting into Shounen Jump. It's like someone winning the lottery and then having it rescinded.

edit: Though I imagine that part of it is that they're aiming specifically for Shounen Jump. A lot of the series that I see get cancelled from Shounen Jump (like Red Sprite) seem like they could have easily been serialized in any "lesser" shounen magazine.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i figure that only people who are really passionate about it become professional mangaka. the lifestyle is so horrible and the major successes are so few, you know?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

In the meantime I picked up the first volume of Dai's Big Adventure, which was apparently him too and I hear some good things about.

Dai's Big Adventure is Really loving Good. Officially it's Dragon Quest, but I find that it's rather a Dragon Quest Tokusatsu in manga form.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Ytlaya posted:

Even when a series deserves to be cancelled, I still always feel kinda bad because you know the writer must have been super excited about getting into Shounen Jump. It's like someone winning the lottery and then having it rescinded.

edit: Though I imagine that part of it is that they're aiming specifically for Shounen Jump. A lot of the series that I see get cancelled from Shounen Jump (like Red Sprite) seem like they could have easily been serialized in any "lesser" shounen magazine.

Isn't Isayama like one of the few people to shop his title around for Attack on Titan? I remember hearing it was rejected by someone at Shueisha, and he just turned around and took it to Kodansha.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Kuroyama posted:

Isn't Isayama like one of the few people to shop his title around for Attack on Titan? I remember hearing it was rejected by someone at Shueisha, and he just turned around and took it to Kodansha.

It was more that he was asked to rewrite the story to fit Jump's style, and he switched to Kodansha instead. This even gets discussed in Bakuman, where the editors would mention how a story wasn't very Jump-like even if it was an interesting story.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mikl posted:

Dai's Big Adventure is Really loving Good. Officially it's Dragon Quest, but I find that it's rather a Dragon Quest Tokusatsu in manga form.

Well poo poo, I was already sold on it based on the author but now I'm hyped.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Well poo poo, I was already sold on it based on the author but now I'm hyped.

I mean, it's no Kamen Rider or Super Sentai, but the characterisation, story beats, and tropes used are very close to what you would get in Tokusatsu.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Magi continues to be weird, in a way that I think I like. Poor Alibaba/Aladdin, everyone has literally been mindwiped against them. If even Morgiana turns against Alibaba it'll be the worst :( I'm not sure I care for the direction it's ultimately gone with Sinbad, a character who up to this point was fairly morally grey when it came to being an antagonist, but now is just full on JRPG Big Bad.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Magi continues to be weird, in a way that I think I like. Poor Alibaba/Aladdin, everyone has literally been mindwiped against them. If even Morgiana turns against Alibaba it'll be the worst :( I'm not sure I care for the direction it's ultimately gone with Sinbad, a character who up to this point was fairly morally grey when it came to being an antagonist, but now is just full on JRPG Big Bad.

I think it's kind of interesting that Sinbad has been essentially convincing himself that he was doing all these things for moral reasons like world peace, but that at his core he just wants to always be the protagonist of his own story, regardless of whether it's actually good for other people. Being The Hero is such a big part of his identity that he couldn't deal with the idea of a world where someone else (or no one at all) is the main character. Though I do wonder just what the whole deal was with mages all over the world detecting Sinbad's birth; did he just happen to have more "fate power" than other people, or was that related to David being a part of him?

I would also argue that Sinbad becoming evil was sort of inevitable. "No one can fix things but me" is a philosophy that will inevitably result in you becoming evil as soon as someone else starts having a bigger influence than yourself, and there isn't really any rationale for such behavior other than sheer egotism.

One other recent-ish thing that I thought was kind of unique was the fact that the long-awaited big battle between Aladdin and Arba consisted of Aladdin just totally owning her in a one-sided fashion. I was expecting some sort of upset on the part of Arba, given Aladdin's confidence before the fight, so it was nice to know that Aladdin was, in fact, correct to feel so confident.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 1, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
When you step back and look at Magi as a whole it is such a bizarre little thing. There are plenty of parts that don't work all that well, or dragged on too long, but man it was not afraid whatsoever to shake things up and spear off into the most crazy plot threads. It even deviled with doing some "ripped from the headlines" types of arcs with analogues to the perils of fiat money inflation, assimilation of cultures, globalization, and even what can only be viewed as a Fantasy version of the Israel/Palestine conflict. I can't think of another shounen series that even comes close to its ambition in these regards. All the while having the usual shounen character archetypes and battles that would make it not at all feel out of place next to a Naruto or One Piece.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

It even deviled with doing some "ripped from the headlines" types of arcs with analogues to the perils of fiat money inflation, assimilation of cultures, globalization, and even what can only be viewed as a Fantasy version of the Israel/Palestine conflict. I can't think of another shounen series that even comes close to its ambition in these regards. All the while having the usual shounen character archetypes and battles that would make it not at all feel out of place next to a Naruto or One Piece.

Naruto had storylines about WMD proliferation and (of course) child soldiers. Pain even basically gives a speech denouncing US and Russian foreign policy. One Piece had its own Israeli-Palestinian conflict in Skypeia, the US civil rights movement with Otohime and Fisher Tiger, and so forth.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't speak to Naruto but Skypeia wasn't really the same sort of thing. Skypeia was more your "usual" "run-of-the-mill" type of conflict with have/havenot sects of people eventually coming together to work out their differences for mutual survival. Magi literally has a city-state of wizards who were oppressed in the past, congregated together to form their own nation and gained great power because of it, ultimately resulting in them having to fight off non-magic-nations from all sides who coveted their power all the while maintaining a large population of non-magic-users as 3rd class citizens.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

When you step back and look at Magi as a whole it is such a bizarre little thing. There are plenty of parts that don't work all that well, or dragged on too long, but man it was not afraid whatsoever to shake things up and spear off into the most crazy plot threads. It even deviled with doing some "ripped from the headlines" types of arcs with analogues to the perils of fiat money inflation, assimilation of cultures, globalization, and even what can only be viewed as a Fantasy version of the Israel/Palestine conflict. I can't think of another shounen series that even comes close to its ambition in these regards. All the while having the usual shounen character archetypes and battles that would make it not at all feel out of place next to a Naruto or One Piece.

Yeah, despite its faults Magi is easily one of my top 3 favorite shounen manga of all time. I wonder if part of the reason it feels so different from other shounen manga is because it's written by a woman (which, for example, is probably why the female characters in Magi are generally better than female characters in most shounen manga).

I think one of the biggest reasons I like it is that I find the whole mythology of the setting (the stuff with the previous world and Solomon leading to the new world, metal vessels, etc) really compelling. I really enjoyed the arc following Solomon and his friends, and the whole situation with Ill Ilah was a pretty good trigger for the conflict between Arba/Al-Thamen and Solomon/Ugo/etc.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Next time on demons plan
Protagonist fights:

A COMMUNIST

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Next time on demons plan
Protagonist fights:

A COMMUNIST

Pretty sure "collectionist" refers to her power, not her ideology.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Next time on demons plan
Protagonist fights:

A COMMUNIST

Nah, for that you want the guy who wrote Akumetsu or the Sato Bros (Highschool of the Dead).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Meanwhile, in Railgun...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Spring Weapon No. 1 got 9th place, which isn't great, but it's also not dead last like Amalgam of Distortion is, and still is. It has a slight chance if it basically bumps its rating up higher in the next few chapters, though odds aren't in its favor. That said, some series have survived from initially placing 9th place at least. I don't think I've seen any series survive last place, especially two weeks in a row for their first two chapters.