Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
rome was pretty much just an engine for equipping and deploying legions so a ck2like where you play as the guiding spirit of an armed company would be cool. in depth enough where you are promoting commanders and giving them retinues but not so in depth you have to deal the the super unfun and bad total war bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Then again, its probably still better than Gavelkind.

Anything is better than loving gavelkind. I hate that system with all my might, I'd rather get seniority and play back-to-back incapable elderly rulers that piss their bed

Which is, I guess, why historically many nobles went "gently caress it" and shipped off their 2nd/3rd sons to either the army or the church if they couldn't just go full primogeniture

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Can mercenary leaders inherit?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Just not sure if tying myself to the system for a few generation is a good idea. I wouldn't be able to make any addiitonal dutchies so it'd limit both my expansion and mean I'd have to directly deal with a bunch of uppity counts.

You can make one additional duchy and give it away, since your vote breaks ties.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I had a lot of success in a pagan start by going Elective Gavelkind and continuously electing gay childless uncles who I'd have marry super-steward wives aged 50 and over and would inherit massive demesnes that never fell apart.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Well, I finished my CK2 game and exported to EU4. I thought the converter had been improved? I mean, yeah its definitely better than it used to be, but I'd say 3/4 of Europe ended up with generic National Ideas, including the Kingdoms of Germany, Bavaria (#1 Great Power), Castille, Portugal, Greece, and Scotland. Sweden ended up with Polish ideas, and anything with my dynasty ended up with Finnish ideas. That last one makes sense aside from the fact that my dynasty is largely focused in Africa and Arabia, and one of the ideas is winter attrition or something. Why wouldn't the idea generator that is used in game when creating vassals and such be used to replace National Ideas in this case? I've always planned on modding my own to suit the history of my CK2 game, but I don't have the time to come up with some for every other nation out there, and this is clearly going to be a lot less dynamic and interesting than I anticipated.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Just not sure if tying myself to the system for a few generation is a good idea. I wouldn't be able to make any addiitonal dutchies so it'd limit both my expansion and mean I'd have to directly deal with a bunch of uppity counts.

You can hold a second Duchy title without penalty. Since you break ties that means you could have two vassal dukes with no fear. If you can find a way to ensure that at least a few vassal dukes like you, you can have more without too much to worry about.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You can hold a second Duchy title without penalty. Since you break ties that means you could have two vassal dukes with no fear. If you can find a way to ensure that at least a few vassal dukes like you, you can have more without too much to worry about.

and you can also duke up your chosen heir since 90% of the time he'll vote for himself

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

What's the purpose of the DLC "content packs"

like there's 'The Reaper's Due', and 'The Reaper's Due content pack'. Do the content packs add anything the regular DLC doesn't have? Is it just models and portraits from the DLC without the gameplay features?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its graphical stuff like portraits or unit models, basically inspired by whatever topic or DLC parent in the title. The gameplay DLC does not contain the graphical extras.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Grillfiend posted:

and you can also duke up your chosen heir since 90% of the time he'll vote for himself

Yeah but then you have to land your heir which is a big fat No Thank You Sir

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Darth Windu posted:

It does have its benefits, but then he starts making all kinds of questionable decisions.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

I never understood why so many people refuse to do this. If possible I wait until they are an adult and married, but I'll happily give my kids land. It gets them some extra prestige and gold, they have more kids if they are landed, and there is always the chance that they decide to press a claim or holy war someone for extra land.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

binge crotching posted:

I never understood why so many people refuse to do this. If possible I wait until they are an adult and married, but I'll happily give my kids land.

"dearest son, for your 18th birthday I present thee a lovely wife and the county of Bumblefuck, make me proud"

-Two days later-

"dad I divorced my wife and married a 50 years old hag, also I became arbitrary, craven and gay, now excuse me I have to ruin the family name by getting discovered while I am eating dick"

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Please don't shame dick eaters, the Germans in this thread are kinda sensitive

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Picked up a few of the good DLCs and am playing a new run of After the End as Americanist New Jersey, so far so good but the president died while I was too young to run and something maybe has gone wrong. The presidential race has been going on for about 4 years now and all but 4 dudes dropped out. 3 of them have died off leaving just one 72yr old fart in Florida running all by himself and it's not declaring him the winner or going to a vote. What's going to happen when he kicks the bucket? There's no pres now, will the election reset when no one is running or is my game hosed up and there isn't going to be a president anymore?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

TheDon01 posted:

Picked up a few of the good DLCs and am playing a new run of After the End as Americanist New Jersey, so far so good but the president died while I was too young to run and something maybe has gone wrong. The presidential race has been going on for about 4 years now and all but 4 dudes dropped out. 3 of them have died off leaving just one 72yr old fart in Florida running all by himself and it's not declaring him the winner or going to a vote. What's going to happen when he kicks the bucket? There's no pres now, will the election reset when no one is running or is my game hosed up and there isn't going to be a president anymore?

The monks pouring over the fragmentary remains of the Library of Congress found the records of the 2016 election and decided everybody was better off with an eternal campaign season instead.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Jazerus posted:

The monks pouring over the fragmentary remains of the Library of Congress found the records of the 2016 election and decided everybody was better off with an eternal campaign season instead.

Whats funny is it's an old bald guy named Sanders

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

TorakFade posted:

"dearest son, for your 18th birthday I present thee a lovely wife and the county of Bumblefuck, make me proud"

-Two days later-

"dad I divorced my wife and married a 50 years old hag, also I became arbitrary, craven and gay, now excuse me I have to ruin the family name by getting discovered while I am eating dick"

"Hey dad, what's a Baselius? I declared war on one and now there's 300,000 angry guys in purple in my house lol."

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Autonomous Monster posted:

Oh, I don't have any problem with an Arthur scenario on a reality/history basis. That was Sin of Onan's objection.

Yeah, I am the tedious nerd who hates fun. I just really want a game that combines my love of grand strategy with my love of the fourth and following centuries :(

To sort of answer GunnerJ's question; aside from the Roman Empire itself, the dominant systems would be... tribal, but not like CK2 tribal. The various peoples of late Iron Age Europe were generally quite rootless and wandered from place to place a lot, absorbing other tribes, recruiting the people they came across, and forging new identities as they went; you can see this in Roman geographical books written a decade or five apart, as some of the tribal names stay in the same place, others appear miles from where they once were, and often some will just vanish. Beyond (and to a certain degree, just inside) the Empire's borders, even the idea of tying a specific ruler to a specific piece of land doesn't make much sense. In CK2 terms, you could understand them as a cross between tribal, nomadic, and mercenary band; especially when you got closer to the imperial border, these people resembled armies on the march (but with their families in tow, although that was becoming a pretty common feature of Roman armies as well) as much as anything else.

That's what I meant by rethinking concepts like realms and titles and vassals from the ground up. Tying specific people/bloodlines to specific holdings, as CK2 does, makes no sense in migration-period Europe. You'd have to find ways for rulers and their entire realms to just up sticks and move around like adventurers, or even have them wandering around the map like permanently-raised mercenary companies. Even Horse Lords doesn't really do that, and the fact that every nomad is an empire-level title means you can't have the dynamics where tribes/warbands would move in and out of the Empire, sometimes hired on as imperial troops, sometimes living off the fat of the land and menacing the city-dwellers they passed by for gold and food. I've often thought that the way tribes in foederate service to the Empire could be represented would be as mercenary companies that you can hire but never dismiss; if you can't pay them, they just start pillaging your country until you can afford to pay them to stop. If that sounds like a terrible liability to you players, you've successfully grasped one of the reasons why Roman military policy in the age of Constantine was daft.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Isn't there a game about Atilla? I swear I read a CK2 lp that started in that game. It had a lot of the things you're talking about, wandering tribes and stuff.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Darth Windu posted:

Isn't there a game about Atilla? I swear I read a CK2 lp that started in that game. It had a lot of the things you're talking about, wandering tribes and stuff.

Thats Atilla: Total War. The guy doing that lp manually modded CK2 to reflect a game of TW.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TorakFade posted:

-Two days later-

That happens like once every couple of generations for me. The biggest problem I run into is that my kids like to get wounded leading armies while raiding/fighting raiders.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TheDon01 posted:

If you do the show candidates decision and it shows just the one person running, you could manually fire the event that starts the vote counting.

Open the console and type:
event prez.91

If there are no living candidates anymore, run the following on the console to reset everything:

event prez.1

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

binge crotching posted:

If you do the show candidates decision and it shows just the one person running, you could manually fire the event that starts the vote counting.

Open the console and type:
event prez.91

If there are no living candidates anymore, run the following on the console to reset everything:

event prez.1

Awesome! Thanks a ton, I was having a good run and really didn't want to restart.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What the best way to get my stupid baby rear end killed so I can play as one of my way more competent adult heirs?

edit: this is the third baby i have to sit through doing nothing because of bad luck. boring as gently caress :(

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 25, 2016

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

While you're working on new features, can we get a bugfix thrown in for nomad revolt risk when rebelling against the Khagan? If you revolt against him (or a vassal Khan revolts against the Khagan), they end up with massive revolt risk due to not enough clans in their temporary title, but are unable to split their clan to do anything about it.

e: Here, this is a save showing what I mean. Declare war on your liege for the claim on Byzantinum. Wait a month and enjoy the revolts.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_qyHZ50thLUcjJaOWtrbkhuMDg/view?usp=sharing

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What the best way to get my stupid baby rear end killed so I can play as one of my way more competent adult heirs?

edit: this is the third baby i have to sit through doing nothing because of bad luck. boring as gently caress :(

Try and imprison one of your vassal barons. If you succeed, ransom him and try again. Once he finally revolts, siege his barony, and then surrender to him. You will abdicate and your heir will take over.

binge crotching fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 26, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Any advice on the new Conclave education system for kids? Some people seemed to think it was more controllable on outcomes, but unless that requires Wiki diving I'm not seeing it.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Any advice on the new Conclave education system for kids? Some people seemed to think it was more controllable on outcomes, but unless that requires Wiki diving I'm not seeing it.
Just pick whatever, curious, from thrift, can change into shrewd, which is good, but otherwise just wing it and it works out most the time.

Also, has it been like that for a while that Emperor level Merchant Republics don't get extra demesne? Dammit, I want to control the whole of Novia Scotia and rule as a malevolent force in the North with insane development, but for that I need to hold more dang castles game!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Just pick whatever, curious, from thrift, can change into shrewd, which is good, but otherwise just wing it and it works out most the time.

Also, has it been like that for a while that Emperor level Merchant Republics don't get extra demesne? Dammit, I want to control the whole of Novia Scotia and rule as a malevolent force in the North with insane development, but for that I need to hold more dang castles game!

high and max centralization is your friend.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think the wiki says pick thrift. You end up with nothing terrible and possibly stuff that can turn into great outcome. But not if you already have genius/quick because it can turn those into shrewd. One of the diplomacy options can get you indolent which leads to slothful so not that ever. I think rowdy can lead to dull as well so that's also a trait best dodged. Which is a pity because its on the most obviously good martial education and martial is something I'm generally in favor of.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Tensions run high in the latest dev diary thread:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Goofballs posted:

I think the wiki says pick thrift. You end up with nothing terrible and possibly stuff that can turn into great outcome. But not if you already have genius/quick because it can turn those into shrewd. One of the diplomacy options can get you indolent which leads to slothful so not that ever. I think rowdy can lead to dull as well so that's also a trait best dodged. Which is a pity because its on the most obviously good martial education and martial is something I'm generally in favor of.

Thrift is a good general all-rounder. Struggle is if you want a soldier (the rowdy/willful combination might lead to negative traits but also has a very high chance of giving them a level 3-4 martial education). Faith is the obvious choice for a religious education and heritage is the "I don't care, just give me something random" option. Pride and Etiquette are kind of poo poo since indolent and haughty don't count as a positive for ANY education focus, only negative. Humility and duty are relatively safe bets for diplomacy education, but I still find that thrift is generally better trait-wise. I kind of wish they'd go back and take another crack at the childhood focuses just to balance them out a bit more (especially the fact that indolent/haughty are purely negative for education - I think having negative childhood traits is fine, but having Pride/Etiquette lead to them directly makes those choices a lot less desirable), but I imagine it's not a priority.

Also shrewd doesn't replace genius/quick. They stack.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I've never had them stack and been unbelievably angry at a videogame and myself for just leftclicking important decisions about heirs because I was paying attention to something else tv, a war in game etc

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Goofballs posted:

I've never had them stack and been unbelievably angry at a videogame and myself for just leftclicking important decisions about heirs because I was paying attention to something else tv, a war in game etc
I don't remember if clr_focus works as a targeted thing but if you're playing as them you can change it at least? As in, grant them a title, play as them, clr_focus, then give the original holder it back via give_title to clear it up

still a lot of steps when it should just be "you can only change education if it's within the first year"

And I'm fairly certain they don't stack, they upgrade first to real quick and if they're quick and shrewd it updates to genius.

Volkerball posted:

high and max centralization is your friend.
BLEGH
I know I can do that and become an absolute ruler, but I still think it's lame

Where do you edit that demesne per title limit again...

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

If I care at all I'm playing an ironman game with the cheevos on. Which is my own fault but I find that rewarding and that's how people play games. When I cheat i tend to do so relentlessly so past like 150 years my dynasty is so relatively op I lose interest.

I've been grateful for shrewd plenty of times I just haven't seen curious do anything good to quick or genius before but it did cure stupid once or twice. Over the course of a toon's life assuming you get them at like 30-35 and they live to 65-70 its now that big a deal. Getting a new protagonist at 20 who lives to 70 is probably a bigger advantage than genius in the long run considering how much you can develop them. But genius is so loving sweet.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Picking childhood and education focuses in a large family is the worst thing. Every five seconds.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I kind of like it this way. I never run out of competent commanders.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Thrift has the best general purpose outcomes, Duty has a 50/50 chance to become Diligent which benefits all educations, and Struggle is the obvious choice for non-inheriting brothers and nephews who I can breed into commanders. Those are the only ones I ever pick, unless I'm trying to convert cultures/religions.

According to the wiki, Genius children can't get Curious (although it says nothing about Quick). Anyway I like to take Duty for Genius/Quick kids since either of those + Diligent gives you a high probability of a level 3 or 4 education of any type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

My wicked wife got one last piece of revenge on me. She married my heir to this...

Plotting to kill this thing ASAP. I really hope I get her before he contracts the pox... The second this rebellion is crushed I'm breaking my truce with my wife and stripping her title, which should bring our son to my court. :argh: Bad enough she chose intruige education for him, at least he came out 4 stars in that regard.

• Locked thread