Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Rodyle posted:

R2 is pretty bad, which is why it's extremely watchable.

I'd say the show works because it provides plenty of entertainment value, period, not only in so-called "bad" ways.

In other words, I would question that every crazy or silly scene is automatically "bad" or failing at its intended goal.

In fact, plenty of worse things that have aired since the end of R2 aren't remotely watchable, so that logic falls a bit short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I enjoyed R2 a lot more in my second watch, and I was expecting to hate it. The final act is legit good, which helps.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

I enjoyed R2 a lot more in my second watch, and I was expecting to hate it. The final act is legit good, which helps.

Nothing of value would be lost if they dropped the China arc and the part where Karen is in jail (except the part where she beats the poo poo out of Suzaku).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

China has the party where Kaguya basically calls Suzaku a sack of poo poo and a couple of Lelouch's more hilarious super villain moments, including when he triumphantly kidnaps a small child at gunpoint

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

chumbler posted:

Nothing of value would be lost if they dropped the China arc and the part where Karen is in jail (except the part where she beats the poo poo out of Suzaku).

Manga handled that mess so much better. No Knightmare frames but they pretty much go into china and immediately leave it. It means we get some funny moments between Kallen and Amnesiac!C.C. too so its a win/win.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The China arc is such a horrible drag but R2 has tons of "why are you even bothering oh right fanservice" moments like... anything involving frigging Jeremiah.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

are you suggesting there should have been less Jeremiah

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Orange is the hero we need.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

There's going to be a 10th anniversary event on November 27th and the official Code Geass account is implying there might be more interesting news coming.

After years of silence, Funimation has also finally announced that their U.S. re-release will be out in early October.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Obligatory pachislot prediction post.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

wielder posted:

After years of silence, Funimation has also finally announced that their U.S. re-release will be out in early October.
It's going to cost like hundreds of dollars, isn't it.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Space Flower posted:

Obligatory pachislot prediction post.

You would be right under most circumstances, but they already made that announcement months ago.

Raxivace posted:

Well, I think it's generally affordable right now. By the way, their Akito release might be brought up at Otakon too.

wielder fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 12, 2016

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

They re-released Haruhi in a fancy box for like $115, with a plain box for like $50. I'd expect Geass to go for more, but Funi usually keeps their prices low.

Edit: oh poo poo, it's pretty much the same.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

They re-released Haruhi in a fancy box for like $115, with a plain box for like $50. I'd expect Geass to go for more, but Funi usually keeps their prices low.

Edit: oh poo poo, it's pretty much the same.

Considering its 50 episodes its more justified than Haruhi's (though that's two complete series)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

wielder posted:

Well, I think it's generally affordable right now. By the way, their Akito release might be brought up at Otakon too.
Ugh, that's a really tempting price for the Collector's Edition.

Dammit I'm probably going to buy it.

EDIT: Welp.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 12, 2016

say tan
Sep 25, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Enlightening.

Well with the release of the US Blu-Rays on the horizon, have we still not heard anything about how Akito is going to be released in the US? I mean at this point that's really all that's left considering there's really nobody around to touch the manga series that haven't been localized.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

the only parts I remembered not liking in R2 was during the China arc but I think that was more the conclusion of it because China is where we got Lelouch freaking the gently caress out when his brother "cheated" at chess

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Aces High posted:

the only parts I remembered not liking in R2 was during the China arc but I think that was more the conclusion of it because China is where we got Lelouch freaking the gently caress out when his brother "cheated" at chess

China was just bad. It and kallen being taken hostage for 8 episodes (almost literally after the Guren got upgraded! And then the final upgrade barely appeared too.) just felt like unnecessary padding and an incredibly cheap way to 'weaken' the black knights (C.C. losing the fun part of her personality with a memory wipe was also kinda not great, even if it lent itself to minor comedy in the Manga version.)

I dunno, R2 was a fun mess the first time through but the second time was just frustrating to watch after truly realizing how great Season 1 was in comparison. That timeslot change not just screwed up the pacing but the content itself felt dumber. I kinda wish we had gotten the original plan for the series, where they asked for 50 episodes outright.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So my Collector's Edition Blu-Ray set came in today. I bring this up because by all means it shouldn't have, since I had to change the credit card I was using for payment at the last minute. The people at RightStuf were totally cool about it though, and super helpful.

The set itself seems good. The artwork cards are their own little box though, which is a little awkward.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Can you see if the R2 picture dramas were included or if they were left out?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Can you see if the R2 picture dramas were included or if they were left out?
They were included on the last disc of R2, as well as something called "Extra Flash: Baba Theater Redux".

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

All of them are there? Kinda wish they'd have dispersed them throughout the discs to fit around the episodes they took place after but that'd require funimation to master their discs with a scrap of common sense.

Those baba flash theater things were on the US R2 DVDs, but they didn't put the Picture Drama's in, so I imagine they're all Subbed only.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I will never forgive R2 for making me feel kinda sad when Rolo died.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RMZXAnarchy posted:

All of them are there? Kinda wish they'd have dispersed them throughout the discs to fit around the episodes they took place after but that'd require funimation to master their discs with a scrap of common sense.

Those baba flash theater things were on the US R2 DVDs, but they didn't put the Picture Drama's in, so I imagine they're all Subbed only.
Yeah it looks like they're only subbed.

It's a bit unfortunate they didn't spread everything around, but I don't really think it's any kind of deal breaker.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Yeah it looks like they're only subbed.

Would be rather difficult to gather the dub cast back for special features most people won't bother with. Just a shame cuz the S1 dramas were dubbed. Really it's Bandai's fault.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

We are still two weeks away from the 10th anniversary event and whatever comes out of that, but in the meanwhile...the large question mark in this picture seems to be good fodder for fan speculation. I tend to doubt it's going to be any particularly familiar face, given the rest of the related merchandise isn't afraid of showing other existing characters (even obscure ones).

In other news...while Funimation appears to have slightly screwed up the English dub audio for their R2 release, they're also offering a solution to those affected.

On the bright side, this set does happen to include a new (2014) picture drama for R2 (Turn 12.06) that nobody had translated before. I thought it was surprisingly amusing and also kind of meta. Too bad they didn't use the other new picture drama for S1 (Stage 0.97), even if it's just Lelouch talking to himself right before the very first episode.

By the way, I have mixed feelings on the 5.1 Japanese audio track. Some of the changes in BGM are interesting, but others are just plain weird.

wielder fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 11, 2016

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2016-11-12/code-geass-10th-anniversary-event-teases-demon-rebirth-and-maybe-more/.108753

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
LELOUCH IS ALIVE MOTHERFUCKERS

LELOUCH IS ALIVE

E: The exact details for this aren't quite clear yet

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 27, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I loving KNEW IT

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I don't think anyone is surprised that Lelouch is getting revived. I'm mostly surprised they waited this long but I guess they pretty much got around it with Not Lelouch Really in Akito anyway.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

EDIT: Ignore this!

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 27, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Might not be January after all.

What's known so far:

quote:

-Set several years after Zero Requiem
-Not confirmed whether it's a TV series or a movie
-MC is Lelouch
-Director: "It's a sequel"
-3 summary movies to be released January 2017 with new scenes

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I have mixed feelings about this, to be quite honest, but I am definitely going to watch. I am curious about whether the staff is going to change or not though.

On the one hand, I've always thought that Code Geass didn't need a sequel after the ending of R2. It feel right.

If the new project turns out to be disappointing, I will just have to pretend it never happened and stick with that conclusion.

On the other hand, this does allow them to explore what kind of fallout and unforeseen consequences resulted from Zero Requiem.

It's also possible those compilation movies will "fix" or at least avoid some of the issues with the original plot and cover up holes in the process (plus maybe include elements from Oz or Akito too).

The title is apparently "Lelouch of the Resurrection" or something along those lines, so they might come up with a radical new way to bring him back.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I suspect what will happen is that we'll get some new Kallen-style "viewpoint" character who ends up reviving Lelouch using some brand of plot magic so the very first episode will end with him dramatically returning, popping his Geass, and ordering a bunch of people to kill themselves again.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
If they do take the gun down off the wall that was Chuck's Code.. they could very easily give us an entire season of how dangerous Lelouch is when he DOESN'T have Magical Obey Me Eyes.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Could have sworn the director had said he was definitely, positively dead in response to speculation about that cart scene. Maybe aside from wanting to go back to its lucrative days Sunrise needed to get the original director out of the way first? Assuming it isn't still the same director and he's just quietly swept that comment from 8 years ago under the rug. :v:

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

Could have sworn the director had said he was definitely, positively dead in response to speculation about that cart scene. Maybe aside from wanting to go back to its lucrative days Sunrise needed to get the original director out of the way first? Assuming it isn't still the same director and he's just quietly swept that comment from 8 years ago under the rug. :v:

I am waiting for the staff specifics too. The original team was present at the event though, so they might be on board.

I can definitely see where you'd get that impression from, but the exact details have always been different.

There is no statement from the director or writer "responding to speculation" and saying that "this guy is dead" in simple terms.

Closest thing is when the writer, in response to an unrelated question, said that people might also think the ending was a tragedy because of Lelouch's fate, but that it was appropriate for him to be "shot (killed)" in the end. That wasn't a statement about his status in direct response to any speculation, especially because it was in an interview published around the time of the final broadcast episode.

Given that they are going to make modified recaps of the TV series, they can easily alter the scenes for whatever purpose is needed.

wielder fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 27, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

Just because the director said it doesn't make it true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Covok posted:

You know how Death Note really dragged after L died? That's Code Geass R2

I replied to this at the time but I found out recently that death note was deliberately dragged out by the author's so that it could end on chapter 108, a religiously significant number in Japan.