Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
I recently recovered my old SNES and am trying to play video games on it. Unfortunately I think it might be unusable. The system's port and game carts are both cleaned thoroughly and most games will start long enough to show respective openings/titles, but any time there's a major screen transition (from title to gameplay) everything locks up. Research shows this might be due to dead RAM or something and people with this problem never seem to find a solution.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

I would hate to buy a clone system, but if I had to are there any recommended brands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I can't believe this SNES pronunciation talk has gone for so long.

Anywho, I got my OSSC in the mail yesterday. My Panasonic (TC-L47E50) TV works with it in line doubling mode. It doesn't like the line tripling mode, unfortunately. The lovely oCOSMO TV we have doesn't recognize it at all, so YMMV. I'll have to see later if my computer monitor will accept either mode. Another thing to look out for is the fact that the OSSC outputs analog audio separate from the DVI out. Fortunately, my Panasonic TV allows me to combine the two. In terms of graphical quality, it looks great in line doubling mode (with and without scanlines) and edges out this thing in sharpness by a little, and color accuracy by quite a bit. The latency isn't bad either, though that's largely dependent on your TV's handling of 480p.

Phone camera shot of the screen, the screen door effect isn't present IRL:
http://imgur.com/a/hWQmu

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I was going to buy a sd2snes or super everdrive, but they both seem to be out of gray shells. Call me a purist, but that's kind of a big deal.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Just order the board and make your own grey cart shell:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Monitor Burn posted:

Just order the board and make your own grey cart shell:

Yeah I don't know why people pay for the ugly shells sites sell for those things.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm the other way around, I specifically wanted something else than a standard grey cart. Got the transparent red for my N8 as well.

re: flashcarts - I just put whatever I wanted there manually from a Goodset package. Didn't want to browse through hundreds and hundreds of games that don't interest me at all. When I find a new game I want to try, I'll just put that in the SD card.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 26, 2016

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

legooolas posted:

Isn't the entire point of the No-Intro sets to trim the list down to only the best copies of games, making it easier to search?

Yes, but No-Intro doesn't have any of the hacks or translations. It's a lot easier to just download those instead of patching yourself. Also, as I was saying before, if you want to do the Retro Achievements thing, you need the Good set roms. There are probably other uses for them that I'm not thinking of.

d0s posted:

what I heard is that it was coined by the wacky british game magazines of the 80's

It was a C64 mag called "Zzap!" or something like that. I probably also get to blame the brits for the term "suicide bullet", which is a retarded misnomer for shots fired at you when enemies are destroyed. It was actually canonized by Rising Star Games when they localized Deathsmiles, and everyone in the shmups community (except me) uses it now. Thanks assholes! :thumbsup:

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Ofecks posted:

Yes, but No-Intro doesn't have any of the hacks or translations. It's a lot easier to just download those instead of patching yourself. Also, as I was saying before, if you want to do the Retro Achievements thing, you need the Good set roms. There are probably other uses for them that I'm not thinking of.

The Smoke Monster ROM packs are made up from the No-Intro sets and include the most popular hacks, transalations, prototypes, etc.

Those are a good place to start for flash carts.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ofecks posted:

Also, as I was saying before, if you want to do the Retro Achievements thing, you need the Good set roms.

I must've gotten lucky, because every game I've tried so far has had the achievements work.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Went out to hunt through the charity shops today for the first time in a while and got some good stuff. Found some PS1 games in good condition but with the horrible price stickers that don't come off cleanly. Anyone got any tips for getting those off?

Also the CRT I mentioned a few pages back was a lot bigger than I expected. It looked 15-17" in the photos but when I got there it was 21" and wouldn't fit in the big bag I'd brought to carry it the 15m back to my place. The guy drove me and it back and it seemingly doesn't work. It turns on but nothing comes on screen. Is there any way to fix stuff like this or do I now have to get rid of a broken CRT?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

njsykora posted:

Went out to hunt through the charity shops today for the first time in a while and got some good stuff. Found some PS1 games in good condition but with the horrible price stickers that don't come off cleanly. Anyone got any tips for getting those off?

Rubbing alcohol takes off most residue. Goo Gone for the tough stickers. And god forbid if a place uses conte crayon, water is all you need. Saliva actually will cut though it safely on a cardboard box too. Everything else is way too abrasive.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

njsykora posted:

Also the CRT I mentioned a few pages back was a lot bigger than I expected. It looked 15-17" in the photos but when I got there it was 21" and wouldn't fit in the big bag I'd brought to carry it the 15m back to my place. The guy drove me and it back and it seemingly doesn't work. It turns on but nothing comes on screen. Is there any way to fix stuff like this or do I now have to get rid of a broken CRT?

What's the model number? Are there any LEDs that light up, and do you hear any kind of electric whine or whatever from it?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kthulhu5000 posted:

What's the model number? Are there any LEDs that light up, and do you hear any kind of electric whine or whatever from it?

Model number is TX-21V2, there's a red light on the front that flicks on when I press the power button and a little whine (the kind of high pitched noise I associate with CRTs turning on). But then it goes quiet, the light goes out (don't know if that's just something this model does, the light flicks on again when I turn it off) and nothing shows on screen.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sadly, googling for a Peter Brock N64 has proved fruitless.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sadly, googling for a Peter Brock N64 has proved fruitless.

Brockie only did energy crystals that make your car go faster.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

njsykora posted:

Model number is TX-21V2, there's a red light on the front that flicks on when I press the power button and a little whine (the kind of high pitched noise I associate with CRTs turning on). But then it goes quiet, the light goes out (don't know if that's just something this model does, the light flicks on again when I turn it off) and nothing shows on screen.

When you say nothing shows on screen, do you mean the screen's on and has some sort of signal, but doesn't show anything you connected, or that the screen just says the same as when it's off?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The PS2 game video-documenting project is now up to 94 episodes, covering all the way up to the 2820th title released in Japan in October 2009: http://ch.nicovideo.jp/ps2

It does not get pretty toward its final years. It's not a peaceful passing, it's not being torn apart by wild dogs, it's worse. You thought we had it bad with generic uninspired garbage and shovelware flooding the market in the west?

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 27, 2016

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Gotta go fast!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fran...ster/1124086910

quote:

RARE MARK SKAIFE GIBSON MOTORSPORT SEGA '96 HOLDEN COMMODORE POSTER

Seller's description
Date Listed:
16/09/2016
Last Edited:
22/09/2016
Condition:
New
Mark Skaife in the No.2 Gibson Motorsport SEGA Saturn sponsored Holden VR Commodore raced throughout 1996, highly collectable . After the Skylines and just before he went to HRT. Very good condition and very hard to find nowadays. Medium sized. Not full size. Measurements will follow sorry. Postage not included but would only b around $7-9 tops depending how far

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

njsykora posted:

fishmech posted:

When you say nothing shows on screen, do you mean the screen's on and has some sort of signal, but doesn't show anything you connected, or that the screen just says the same as when it's off?

A good question. Does anything display on the screen when you press, say, the volume control buttons?

Apparently, one of Panasonic's European divisions has the manual for this TV online:

https://dlc.panasonic-europe-service.com/EUDocs/GetDoc.aspx?did=128116&fmt=PDF&lang=en&src=3&uilang=en-GB&model=TX21V2

It might be good to check it and see if the TV isn't in a correct operating mode for what you're trying to do. If you're up to it, apparently the AC plug has a fuse in it that might be worth checking out, too?

BrownClown
Dec 7, 2007

Will rap for smash leaks
So I've gone down a terrible path and picked up a Sony PVM and a SD2SNES. I've also got an old SNES with a Multi Out that I plan on hooking up to it.

If I've got this right, I need BNC -> Scart cable to connect to the PVM.
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-pvm/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc

And I need this Multi Out->Scart (EuroScart) for the SNES
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk...-lead-wire-cord

Is that right? Is there a US shop that will have both of these cables?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

BrownClown posted:

So I've gone down a terrible path and picked up a Sony PVM and a SD2SNES. I've also got an old SNES with a Multi Out that I plan on hooking up to it.

If I've got this right, I need BNC -> Scart cable to connect to the PVM.
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-pvm/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc

And I need this Multi Out->Scart (EuroScart) for the SNES
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk...-lead-wire-cord

Is that right? Is there a US shop that will have both of these cables?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/192016262600

can't find SNES euroscart in the US tho

BrownClown
Dec 7, 2007

Will rap for smash leaks

Thanks! This one has a sync stripper, if I don't have a PVM that requires it, is there a reason I should get that over a scart without one?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

BrownClown posted:

Thanks! This one has a sync stripper, if I don't have a PVM that requires it, is there a reason I should get that over a scart without one?

Nope, you can get this cheaper one without it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/192013241064

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Watch out for wookieewin. I bought one of their adapters and it didn't work correctly, apparently because they connected the grounds through the audio plugs. And if those weren't plugged in, welp:

I made a thread on Shmups about it, and others chimed in with the same experience:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49103

So hopefully they've cleaned up their act and fixed the grounding setup they use, but I'd advise BrownClown to check their return policy before they buy.

As for NTSC SCART cables for the SNES, I've been using these cheapo ones from Play-Asia with no issues:

http://www.play-asia.com/rgb-scart-cable-175m/13/7064

They're currently out of stock, but will probably be available again down the line.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Watch out for wookieewin. I bought one of their adapters and it didn't work correctly, apparently because they connected the grounds through the audio plugs. And if those weren't plugged in, welp:

I made a thread on Shmups about it, and others chimed in with the same experience:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49103

So hopefully they've cleaned up their act and fixed the grounding setup they use, but I'd advise BrownClown to check their return policy before they buy.

As for NTSC SCART cables for the SNES, I've been using these cheapo ones from Play-Asia with no issues:

http://www.play-asia.com/rgb-scart-cable-175m/13/7064

They're currently out of stock, but will probably be available again down the line.

I'm actually looking for a SCART->BNC soon, which one do you recommend over theirs?

edit: n/m saw the shmups thread, I'll get mine from that guy when I need one

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kthulhu5000 posted:

A good question. Does anything display on the screen when you press, say, the volume control buttons?

Apparently, one of Panasonic's European divisions has the manual for this TV online:

https://dlc.panasonic-europe-service.com/EUDocs/GetDoc.aspx?did=128116&fmt=PDF&lang=en&src=3&uilang=en-GB&model=TX21V2

It might be good to check it and see if the TV isn't in a correct operating mode for what you're trying to do.

Nothing changes on the screen, there's no response from the control buttons on the front. I'll replace the fuse in the plug for sure and go over that manual when I get home. I have a few fuses from when I had to rewire my Wii's plug.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I use a wookiewin SCART to BNC cable and mine is working fine? :confused:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I have bought all my RGB cables from this store and they have all worked perfectly.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!
Has anyone got the holy trinity of genesis + sega CD + 32X? I would love to see it.

d34dm34t
Jul 21, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Has anyone got the holy trinity of genesis + sega CD + 32X? I would love to see it.

Yes.

I've also got a CDX and an X'Eye, but those are boxed up in a cupboard at the moment.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Does this count?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

d34dm34t posted:

Yes.

I've also got a CDX and an X'Eye, but those are boxed up in a cupboard at the moment.

Hell yeah that's what I'm talking about :parrot:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Me at the Swap Shop in 2004: Ehhh, I'm not sure I really want to pay $30 for this CIB 32x.

As interesting a piece of gaming history as it would be to own, and as much as I would love to have a complete Segazord, I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to buy one now. It was then or never.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

'scuse the dust, this room sucks. Got an MD2 as well but I've never been able to get the expansion cover off.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Sort of (the CD portion doesn't work).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

:retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: You guys! It's here! The quantum leap, the forward in video entertainment, the Rolls-Royce! :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

Look at it!

:woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop:

This is the greatest moment of my life, the one thing I never thought I'd achieve in my collecting days, the DREAM.

So beautiful, nothing will ever be the same, nothi--

Oh. Oh, right. I was supposed to figure how to get this stuff working before I got too excited and bought one, wasn't I? Help me here, fellow European goons. Do I need a step-down converter of some sort? And if so, where would I even go look for a good one nowadays? Or would just a basic converter work?

P.S: These boxes and carts are Xbox HUUUUGE. I thought they would be like Mega Drive sized.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:siren: Do NOT plug that in without a proper step down converter :siren:

Your AC adapter is the Japanese standard, which means the power it expects is only 100V. Since you're in Europe that means you have 220V and bad things will happen if you plug it in. You either need a step down converter, or some replacement power adapter made for Europe, which means it would accept 220V at 50Hz going in, and output DC 5V 3A.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Thanks. I do need to figure out where to get a good quality converter around here, though. Amazingly I had an easier time to locate the actual AES (some dude in France) and a couple of games (some dude in my actual country) than to actually find any information on what sort of step down converter I would need and where to buy one. Checking the big electronic sellers around and they have nothing of the sort. There seems to be some on eBay, but I'd rather not risk the Rolls-Royce on a poo poo garbo that would fry it.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 27, 2016

• Locked thread