Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I love XCOM 2 a lot more when I deliberately decide not to use phantom or conceal so stealth is a one time thing and that's it. Like it's a game where if you activate pods one at a time from decent positions you're going to win those fights every time so being able to scout out enemies before you move is just so good it breaks the game when you can rely on having that scouting pretty much all the time. Going back to having every move into to the darkness be a calculated risk is just so much more exciting and leads to more dangerous fights where you have to get creative. It's really, really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really hate the pod system. I don't know what would replace it exactly in Xcom's weird board-gamey mechanics but I still hate it

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I really hate the pod system. I don't know what would replace it exactly in Xcom's weird board-gamey mechanics but I still hate it

Real time movement outside of combat into turnbased combat worked pretty well in the Baldurs Gate-style rpgs, Jagged Alliance etc.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lima posted:

Real time movement outside of combat into turnbased combat worked pretty well in the Baldurs Gate-style rpgs, Jagged Alliance etc.

Ew, no it absolutely did not and would open up a ridiculous amount of idiotic edge cases that would destroy any challenge in the game

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
XCOM1's non-pod system also opens itself up for spontaneous potshots and snipers whittling down your team with virtually no recourse, but also a big part of that was desperately scouring each gigantic map for traces of aliens so I'd often split my team up just because it was taking forever to canvas the map and I'd get bored.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

A patrolling scout unit that gives the position reveal penalty if it spots you out of cover/concealment so that every pod on the map is alerted to your presence. Kind of like a mobile scan tower, so that you have to pursue upgraded gremlins and whatnot to avoid revealing your squad to everything. Or even making it so that Officers and Psy units can ping you on the map to nearby pods or call in reinforcements if the rest of their pod dies.

Just something that conveys in gameplay that you are combating a well organized and much more capable occupation force with a powerful communication network. Not that you are just picking off stragglers while you blow up an entire city block and happily skip to the Skyranger

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah, the problem with that of course is that pretty much everything will need rebalancing to make it work. XCOM as it stands is more like a series of random encounters in an RPG, than a whole battlefield. Sometimes those random encounters overlap, but it's more or less about taking the map one encounter at a time rather than treating the map as one big encounter. But yeah, this would be a great goal to reach:

"Just something that conveys in gameplay that you are combating a well organized and much more capable occupation force with a powerful communication network. Not that you are just picking off stragglers while you blow up an entire city block and happily skip to the Skyranger"

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

drat this game is tense some times. Retaliation mission with all but one soldier injured, two down to a single health left and only the barest minimum civilians surviving, somehow kept it all together. :eyepop:

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!
With the game currently on sale on Steam, is it worth getting the Digital Deluxe edition with the DLC as well?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I'd tend to say the DLC isn't really worth it.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
OTOH it's 4 bucks and the SPARKs are fun (if slightly underpowered without mods)

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Wow I did not realize how good the rapid construction bonus at the resistance HQ is until now, especially on legendary. You can get the big four buildings up so goddamn fast with that, that's way better than most of the things you could be doing in the early game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I just picked this game up for Black Friday and oh my god, Bradley is even worse at his job than he was in the first game. According to cannon I lost the war the first time around. Having considered all his options; Bradley's master plan is to get half his squad killed trying to rescue me so I can lose the resistance too?

C'mon Firaxis; at least say that national leaders sold X-Com out instead of the Commander having been straight up too incompetent to defend his own HQ.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I thought that was what happened- XCOM was doing well, the national leaders sold out XCOM, the aliens learned the base's location and raided it, the Commander got kidnapped, since the Commander was highly competent and literally the only thing holding XCOM together Bradford tried to find him and rescue him (well, apart from the novel where he spent decades hiding and getting drunk).

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah. Add that to the fact that the aliens were throwing Sectopods, Sectoid Commanders, and Mutons at X-Com from the word go? They didn't have a chance.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Bogart posted:

Yeah. Add that to the fact that the aliens were throwing Sectopods, Sectoid Commanders, and Mutons at X-Com from the word go? They didn't have a chance.

Yeah, the first time your see a sectopod it is said that they were one of the main weapons used in force to take out the original x-com. Without funding from member countries there is no way that x-com could have sustained a fight against any significant number of them.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Which is why after the aliens are defeated, we all learn about the beauty of working together and capitalism is defeated. :ussr:

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
XCOM 2 had pros and cons as compared to the original game. It did most things better, it did a handful of things worse.

Ultimately my conclusion is that I want more loving XCOM. Either significant, game-changing DLC like Enemy Within or XCOM 3 proper, I care not which, I just want more. Get on it, Firaxis.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Great new Beagle video. Proof that not even the aliens should trust codexes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qfw1SbTX10

One of those great missions where everything just falls into place perfectly.

Colapops fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 25, 2016

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Count Uvula posted:

OTOH it's 4 bucks and the SPARKs are fun (if slightly underpowered without mods)

What mod best balances the SPARKs without completely changing them or making them overpowered?

I want to play a vanilla game for the first time with expansions, but don't want SPARKs to be a suboptimal joke either, because then they're just a waste of time/resources.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

SlyFrog posted:

What mod best balances the SPARKs without completely changing them or making them overpowered?

I want to play a vanilla game for the first time with expansions, but don't want SPARKs to be a suboptimal joke either, because then they're just a waste of time/resources.

Metal Over Flesh lets you upgrade specific elements of your SPARK through Proving Ground projects. I'm a big fan of it and it seems balanced enough.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I use Moddable DLC Weapons and I'm currently using a spark on legendary ironman without it feeling underpowered. Just the ability to slap a decent scope on its gun has made it a lot more useful.

You may want to resist the urge to slap weapon mods on the hunter weapons, though. A boltcaster is a tad strong with more than one shot.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I use Moddable DLC Weapons and I'm currently using a spark on legendary ironman without it feeling underpowered. Just the ability to slap a decent scope on its gun has made it a lot more useful.

You may want to resist the urge to slap weapon mods on the hunter weapons, though. A boltcaster is a tad strong with more than one shot.
I'm in the same boat. I feel like it evens out SPARK weapons a lot, but hunter weapons, especially the boltcaster, are a little too easily unbalanced.
That said I will happily use Grimy Loot versions of SPARK weapons. I didn't realize but you can actually get bonus Icarus suits after unlocking the first one, by means of high level loot crates. I'm doing an extended victory lap and trying to see if I can get my entire team decked out in icarus suits.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm not sure what to pick between Implacable (free move after a kill) and Bladestorm (free melee attack when melee attacked) for Rangers. Implacable seems like it would be useful to get back into cover after slashing an alien, but the main time you need to get back into cover is if the Ranger didn't get the kill. What's the point of bladestorm? Is it ever useful?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Bladestorm fucks over stun lancers, chryssalids, berserkers, sneks going for a tongue grab or constrict, and enemy reinforcements scattering from a drop zone (if you can get there first.) It's also quite useful against Snake Dick if you have the Alien Hunters DLC enabled.

Both abilities are good and they're both useful, but I tend to prefer Bladestorm. Situational as it is, it can save your bacon on occasion. Still, it's a valid choice either way. Take whichever you prefer.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Since we're backseat game deving, I'd suggest one solution is to take a look at Invisible Inc's alarm system. That's to say, have alien alertness levels slowly tick up over time/when you engage enemies, which then alters behaviour from 'you're basically in concealment' at one end, up to 'everything on the map is rushing at you and there's infinite reinforcements coming out of spawners oh poo poo oh poo poo'.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Yeah with a well placed bladestorm you can shred/heavily injure a whole group of guys when they jump out of the dropship.

edit: actually forgot that "shred" is a specific term in this game when I just meant Kill Em Real dead

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 27, 2016

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Implacable is extra useful when combined with Untouchable, it lets you use your ranger as sort of a mimic beacon if you place them out of cover where only one enemy can get to shooting at them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Bladestorm is especially good with the upgraded blades. Having a chance to either stun or set on fire enemies without spending an action point is great.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I always take Implacable because a ranger with a laser sight and talon rounds can run right up to someone's face and get a guaranteed high-damage crit and retreat to safety every round. Bladestorm is a free attack but it won't happen all the time and even when it does, it's blade damage instead of crit shotgun damage.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

LLSix posted:

I'm not sure what to pick between Implacable (free move after a kill) and Bladestorm (free melee attack when melee attacked) for Rangers. Implacable seems like it would be useful to get back into cover after slashing an alien, but the main time you need to get back into cover is if the Ranger didn't get the kill. What's the point of bladestorm? Is it ever useful?

Implacable is really good. You can delete any alien on the map with your shotgun and then move to good cover.

Bladestorm is mainly useful if you're scouting for chrysalids and don't want to/don't have time to overwatch creep. Any use outside of that is super niche and not something you should really plan for.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Bladestorm is great if you are playing with sword heavy class mods though.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I really like the pod mechanic. I like it when you can go 'well if I abandon cover I can go and stand over here and take this great shot' and then you're doing the maths on whether you can wipe all the enemies out this turn and you end up with four people not in cover but it works. If enemies could just wander in and shoot you you'd lose a lot of creative tactics because it would be lower risk just to stay in cover at all times even if that means trading potshots a bit.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let's say i never used XCOM 2 mods before, what the best recommendations for quality of life and neat gameplay\content improvments?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Amused Frog posted:

With the game currently on sale on Steam, is it worth getting the Digital Deluxe edition with the DLC as well?

SPARKS are fun and bring back fun memories of stomping aliens with MECs, but get the Metal Over Flesh mod to make them worth using.

The Alien Hunters costumes are a bit...weird. But the bonus weapons are fun and the ruler aliens are a fun challenge to fight.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mans posted:

Let's say i never used XCOM 2 mods before, what the best recommendations for quality of life and neat gameplay\content improvments?
What's the scope we're talking here? Just little handy things or are you open to bigger things?

For little QoL stuff:
Stop Wasting My Time is pretty awesome. It removes various pauses between combat animations and otherwise tweaks them to be more fluid, and removes some of Bradford's nagging.
Collateral Demolition makes the Demolition skill not a janky useless piece of poo poo, by making it a freely aimed area of effect just like Collateral Damage was in XCOM EU.
CapnBubs Accessories Pack is some really good quality props, a must if you give a poo poo about character customization. Seriously.
EU Aim Rolls separates the aim and crit rolls so that "20% crit" means 20% of HITS will be crits, instead of 20% of shots will be crits. Now every hit the aliens land on your smoked-in-high-cover soldiers won't crit them dead.
Cost Based Ability Colors colors the ability buttons according to how many actions they take. Green is free, blue takes an action but won't end your turn, yellow is a full turn. I'm finding it handier than it sounded like at first.
BleedOutMod makes it so lower ranked soldiers actually have a chance to go into bleedout instead of dying outright when going down.
Stabilize Me! lets you stabilize a bleeding out soldier with their own medikit if they had one.

If you want to ruffle your game up some more, I've been playing with and can recommend the following:
A Better Advent 2 adds a ton of new enemy variations, makes the pods bigger and generally buffs the enemy side. You'll probably want some "buffs" of your own so you won't get horribly murdered. A larger squad size mod is pretty much a must.
Long War Perk Pack changes the 4 base classes into 8, gives soldiers a choice of 3 instead of 2 perks per level and adds one more level after Colonel. Personally I can't imagine ever playing without again.
Grimy's Loot Mod adds loot crates to the enemy loot drops that you have to do a research project on to get a random piece of gear with random mods. It also adds like several dozen new equipment mods to keep it more varied. Some of the better stuff gets pretty ridiculous so avoid if you're a difficulty grognard, I guess. I find it compensates for ABA 2 nicely. Requires some other mods, which are mentioned in the description.

Also, I already harped on about them earlier, but I recommend looking into voice pack mods if you like your soldiers to have more variation. There are plenty of legit good and fitting packs that aren't just silly novelties, and some real good funny ones too if that's your jam.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 27, 2016

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!

Nordick posted:

For little QoL stuff:
Stop Wasting My Time is pretty awesome. It removes various pauses between combat animations and otherwise tweaks them to be more fluid, and removes some of Bradford's nagging.
Collateral Demolition makes the Demolition skill not a janky useless piece of poo poo, by making it a freely aimed area of effect just like Collateral Damage was in XCOM EU.
CapnBubs Accessories Pack is some really good quality props, a must if you give a poo poo about character customization. Seriously.
EU Aim Rolls separates the aim and crit rolls so that "20% crit" means 20% of HITS will be crits, instead of 20% of shots will be crits. Now every hit the aliens land on your smoked-in-high-cover soldiers won't crit them dead.
Cost Based Ability Colors colors the ability buttons according to how many actions they take. Green is free, blue takes an action but won't end your turn, yellow is a full turn. I'm finding it handier than it sounded like at first.
BleedOutMod makes it so lower ranked soldiers actually have a chance to go into bleedout instead of dying outright when going down.
Stabilize Me! lets you stabilize a bleeding out soldier with their own medikit if they had one.

Good suggestions.
I'd add:
Numeric Health Display: no more counting health pips on that sectopod!
Gotch (Flank Preview): extends the existing line-of-sight indicator to also show flanking spots. Also shows line-of-sight to mission objectives.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i will download all of those mods. thank you for your patriotic duty.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
Has this game been fixed yet? I didn't get it on release because of the many reports of crippling performance issues and super-lovely bugs (like snakewomen yanking your dudes through solid walls and poo poo). Now it's on sale for thirty bucks and I'm wondering if it's still hosed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Sjonnar posted:

Has this game been fixed yet? I didn't get it on release because of the many reports of crippling performance issues and super-lovely bugs (like snakewomen yanking your dudes through solid walls and poo poo). Now it's on sale for thirty bucks and I'm wondering if it's still hosed?

Performance has improved. Many bugs fixed.

Snakes can't pull anything when they're dead. :black101: