Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

CoolCab posted:

For lobster at least, this was the case for a very long time in most places- there were places in America that forbade feeding convicts lobster on the grounds it was cruel and unusual punishment. This was in part because dead lobsters "rot" incredibly quickly and become disgusting to eat almost immediately, so only places that could fish them locally could enjoy them. This radically changed once the technology to keep them alive for longer was developed, and then again thanks to freezing technology.

Huh, I must admit that I had no idea. In Scandinavia (and we're talking 17-18th century or so) it seems to have been religiously motivated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Josef bugman posted:

Even if starving?

I agree with steinrokkan here - I simply have no idea. I've had periods in my life where I've been kinda desperate for food, but I've never truly starved so I just don't know. In any other situation I absolutely wouldn't, though.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Inepta Lacerta posted:

I agree with steinrokkan here - I simply have no idea. I've had periods in my life where I've been kinda desperate for food, but I've never truly starved so I just don't know. In any other situation I absolutely wouldn't, though.

I think a healthy "who knows" is pretty good for this sort of situation.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

That's a question nobody who hasn't experienced actual starvation can answer honestly. But I think I would be as appalled by the idea of eating my own dog as I would be by eating a human corpse.

Though I guess it would be a different thing to eat a dog that attacked me first, as far as survival situations are concerned.

Humans in general will readily eat their pets, and their neighbors for that matter, if times get bad enough. When severe famine strikes pets are generally the first to go as they trust humans to feed them. People might resist eating their own pets first but if you're hungry enough and the neighbor's dog gets loose, well...it isn't my dog.

This is part of why extreme food scarcity destroys societies. As people become increasingly desperate they increasingly do desperate things.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Josef bugman posted:

Even if starving?

Case in point, the Paris Zoo took almost a decade to restock their zoo after the 1870 revolution - virtually every animal therein had become someone's supper.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
OK, I guess the question becomes - would you kill a dog to fend off starvation without feeling guilt?

A White Guy posted:

Case in point, the Paris Zoo took almost a decade to restock their zoo after the 1870 revolution - virtually every animal therein had become someone's supper.

People had very different attitudes towards zoos and animals in the 19th century. In contrast German zoos in WWII didn't slaughter their animals, unless forced to do so by bombing raids that hit their grounds. Actually zoos managed to appropriate scarce resources to protect and move their animals to safer locations even during the most critical moments of the war.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Seems like the workers at the Leningrad zoo went out of their way to keep the animals alive during the blockade:
http://englishrussia.com/2013/09/09/saving-animals-of-the-sieged-city/

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

steinrokkan posted:

In contrast German zoos in WWII didn't slaughter their animals, unless forced to do so by bombing raids that hit their grounds. Actually zoos managed to appropriate scarce resources to protect and move their animals to safer locations even during the most critical moments of the war.

Nazis were weirdly super pro animal-rights. Cats and dogs were 'rescued' from unsuitable owners headed for the ghettos or concentration camps, and placed in appropriate 'good Aryan homes'.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_welfare_in_Nazi_Germany

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

OK, I guess the question becomes - would you kill a dog to fend off starvation without feeling guilt?

People had very different attitudes towards zoos and animals in the 19th century. In contrast German zoos in WWII didn't slaughter their animals, unless forced to do so by bombing raids that hit their grounds. Actually zoos managed to appropriate scarce resources to protect and move their animals to safer locations even during the most critical moments of the war.

A dog? Sure. It'd be different if it were a dog that had helped me in the past, but if it's just a random dog then I'd probably eat it in a famine situation and feel as much guilt as I do from eating meat anyway. I mean probably, I do feel guilty about lots of things anyway.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Inepta Lacerta posted:

(All that being said - no; I wouldn't eat dog).

You aren't missing all that much, to be honest.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Simple in my house get the lamping dog (whippet x greyhound/saluki) to hunt me some rats/cats/my neighbours small yappy dogs as he is trained to do. No point eating him, he's got no good meat on his bones.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

You aren't missing all that much, to be honest.

Tastes like beef.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

Nazis were weirdly super pro animal-rights. Cats and dogs were 'rescued' from unsuitable owners headed for the ghettos or concentration camps, and placed in appropriate 'good Aryan homes'.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_welfare_in_Nazi_Germany
If you wanna kill an animal, just imagine it's a Nazi. It can't prove it is not.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Subjunctive posted:

What would be an appropriate price?

What a weird question. Cheaper than beef would be a start. Horse is good but not beef good

Rutibex posted:

I am neutral on rabbits. They are pretty dumb, and serve no useful purpose. I say eat them. Same goes for pet birds less interesting than parrots or hawks, and all fish.

You have never eaten rabbit? Eating rabbit is a hypothetical to you?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Like birds and fish.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

hackbunny posted:

You have never eaten rabbit? Eating rabbit is a hypothetical to you?

Rabbit is a weirdly uncommon meat in the US. Which is stupid, because it's delicious and way more sustainable then beef or pork. Ever since the rise of 'The Chicken Of Tomorrow', rabbit seems to have completely fallen off the menu except with farmers and hunters that have access to it, and ethnic populations of Italians, French, and Moroccans for use in their cuisine. I'll bet there are more pet rabbits then people that eat rabbit in the US.

Rabbits also make great pets, let's remember. It's a little tricky to navigate my love of living cuddly bunnies as opposed to my love of hassenpfeffer. However, I also love living snorty piggies with their cute noses and fun personalities, and bacon. Farming is tough sometimes.

Oh, and 'Chicken Of Tomorrow' is a must watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G0stojwYjI

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I think most Americans, at least, haven't eaten rabbit. The only meats that are really common are chicken, beef, turkey, and pork. Other things are available, in many places, but where I am right now I know where to get buffalo and alligator but not rabbit.

Chicken, incidentally, was an upscale sort of food until around the 20th century -- people kept chickens for egg-laying, and by the time an old hen reached the table she wasn't really tender and tasty anymore, while just up and murdering a perfectly good egg-machine for the sake of roasting it was a thing only people of a certain income level could really afford on the regular. Factory farming leading to increased supply and lower prices, and an ad campaign, made "a chicken in every pot" a real thing in the 20th century.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

Rabbit is a weirdly uncommon meat in the US. Which is stupid, because it's delicious and way more sustainable then beef or pork. Ever since the rise of 'The Chicken Of Tomorrow', rabbit seems to have completely fallen off the menu except with farmers and hunters that have access to it, and ethnic populations of Italians, French, and Moroccans for use in their cuisine. I'll bet there are more pet rabbits then people that eat rabbit in the US.

Rabbits also make great pets, let's remember. It's a little tricky to navigate my love of living cuddly bunnies as opposed to my love of hassenpfeffer. However, I also love living snorty piggies with their cute noses and fun personalities, and bacon. Farming is tough sometimes.

Oh, and 'Chicken Of Tomorrow' is a must watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G0stojwYjI

Rabbit has fallen out of favor because it has much drier and stringier meat than chicken, which is much more difficult to prepare to be equally tasty. It is also more difficult to butcher a rabbit than a chicken. Both of these things are especially problematic for supermarket and restaurant chains that need to move large amounts of product fast. It makes sense that it would be displaced as consumer behavior moved towards convenience and mass produced goods.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Nov 27, 2016

Infyrno
Jul 24, 2003

The Duke

InediblePenguin posted:

I think most Americans, at least, haven't eaten rabbit. The only meats that are really common are chicken, beef, turkey, and pork. Other things are available, in many places, but where I am right now I know where to get buffalo and alligator but not rabbit.

Chicken, incidentally, was an upscale sort of food until around the 20th century -- people kept chickens for egg-laying, and by the time an old hen reached the table she wasn't really tender and tasty anymore, while just up and murdering a perfectly good egg-machine for the sake of roasting it was a thing only people of a certain income level could really afford on the regular. Factory farming leading to increased supply and lower prices, and an ad campaign, made "a chicken in every pot" a real thing in the 20th century.

Username/post

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Infyrno posted:

Username/post

I imagine penguin would be very oily

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

There's one interesting aspect of Scott and Amundsen's race to the South Pole which relates to their choice of animals. Amundsen brought teams of dogs to pull his sleds with the expectation that he and his expedition were eventually going to have to shoot some of them and use them as food for themselves and the stronger dogs. Scott brought dogs, but planned to rely on ponies to do a lot of the heavy work, and they were obviously not well adapted for Antarctic travel compared to the dogs. But one explanation I have seen (from various Scott biographers and, if you want to be a little uncharitable, apologists) is that it was a cultural issue, because the English were supposedly more likely to view the dogs as friends than the Norwegians, to whom they were just pack animals.

When the Far East Party was making its perilous journey back to camp from its trek to the eastern parts of Antarctica, consuming the remains of their sled dogs (particularly the livers) is believed to have contributed to a severe illness which almost killed Sir Douglas Mawson and did contribute to the death of Dr Xavier Mertz.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

steinrokkan posted:

Rabbit has fallen out of favor because it has much drier and stringier meat than chicken, which is much more difficult to prepare to be equally tasty. It is also more difficult to butcher a rabbit than a chicken.

I disagree. Rabbit is a wonderful meat, not stringy, but certainly a bit more toothsome and developed then chicken. I'd eat it every day if I could. It also lends it's self easily to stewing, roasting, or frying, with a lot more flexibility then chicken due to it's forgiving darker meat nature. Also, I find it easier to butcher rabbit then chicken, especially if you're not taking any care to save the hide. Industrial plucking machines have removed a lot of the labor of chicken prep on the large scale, but you're still having to go over every carcass and pop pinfeathers, which is a pain. Rabbit you can skin and gut pretty darn quick.

Here's the fastest way to guy a rabbit. NWS because even I find it a bit disturbing to do it like that. x.x https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQZ8vPvLfTo . I don't think i'd ever try that myself, seems a good way to burst an intestine and ruin the meat.

I'm sure if rabbit was given the same kind of focused development that chickens did, we'd get a rabbit the size of a boston terrier with all the flavor of salted polystyrene easy.

Anyhoo, industrial american tastes made the market, as did corporate funding.

Suspect Bucket has a new favorite as of 02:37 on Nov 27, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

It's also kind of hard to find an actual stewing hen in Random City US now. Nearly all the chicken sold in supermarkets is broiler/fryer type, bred to grow fast with lots of meat.. If you want a real stewing hen, you have to know a butcher or scour ethnic markets.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There may be something to that. Captaing De Long, on his ill fated voyage to the North Pole, was most reluctant to kill his dogs, even when they were near death, and the expedition party was suffering from exhaustion. If anything his men burdened themselves to protect and even pamper their dogs, to which they grew attached and which they described in their diaries with vivid characters. They also made sure to nurse them to health every time they sustained any injuries in the dangerous climate, often facing against Arctic fauna. This is what De Long wrote on an occasion of contemplating having to shoot one of his animals: "Although I know he will never be of use again, I hardly like to have him shot, preferring to give him all of his life that he can hang on to. Occasionally he seems going, as, for example today, when he was lying on an old mattress on the rubbish heap, seemingly at his last gasp. [In the afternoon] I found him gone one hundred yards or so, and as frisky and far from death as ever." About another, whose head suffered a grievous infection from a bear attack: "Poor old Snuffy, having reached such a condition that it would be a mercy to kill him was shot today. ... No doubt, as far as his usefulness was concerned, he could have been killed months ago, but I felt that even a dog was entitled to his life for as long as he could keep it in these uncharitable regions. " After they ran out of meat, the crew was still ordered to feed the dogs with their emergency rations of pemmican, and only old and worn out dogs were to be shot if necessary, and even then only with care so that their death would not disturb the men - even though the dogs were of dubious use in the conditions the men found themselves in, and possibly were a detriment to their survival since they were not able to properly move in the ice slurry that stood in their way during the critical period of their journey.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 02:55 on Nov 27, 2016

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Helith posted:

In the 17th century American colonies Lobster was so abundant but regarded as garbage meat that it was only eaten by the really poor and was used to feed livestock, indentured servants and prisoners.
Some servants successfully sued their owners to limit feeding them Lobster to only 3 times a week instead of everyday.
Also in that vein White Bread used to be a luxury only for the rich while the poor ate more multigrain whole wheat bread.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Cumslut1895 posted:

I imagine penguin would be very oily

It is! The penguins on the falkland islands were nearly wiped out by whalers, not because they ate them, but because they would burn their bodies for fuel.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Let's step away from the table for a moment, shall we?

When Elizabethan theatres are excavated, they usually find the shattered remains of ceramic boxes. The boxes had an opening like a piggy bank, but there was no way to get the coins out.

What the theatre managers did was wait until the performance ended, then go into a back room with the principal parties and smash the box. The coins would be counted and properly divvied up.

The name of that little room has survived to this day. It's called--box office.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Josef bugman posted:

It is! The penguins on the falkland islands were nearly wiped out by whalers, not because they ate them, but because they would burn their bodies for fuel.

Fortunately, they are now protected by a minefield!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Khazar-khum posted:

When Elizabethan theatres are excavated, they usually find the shattered remains of ceramic boxes. The boxes had an opening like a piggy bank, but there was no way to get the coins out.

What the theatre managers did was wait until the performance ended, then go into a back room with the principal parties and smash the box. The coins would be counted and properly divvied up.

Do people not usually get the money out of their piggy banks by smashing them? That's what I do.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

meatbag posted:

This dual fact of burning penguins for fuel and them surviving by being protected by a minefield is probably my favorite QI fact.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Baron Corbyn posted:

Do people not usually get the money out of their piggy banks by smashing them? That's what I do.

Modern Piggy banks have a hole on the bottom to get the coins out. Completely defeats the purpose IMHO

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

meatbag posted:

quote:

The animal is also flightless and docile in nature, making them easy to catch. So whenever the fires got low, they simply grabbed a few penguins and threw them into the fire.

This made me laugh a lot more than it should have.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Modern Piggy banks have a hole on the bottom to get the coins out. Completely defeats the purpose IMHO

They do but if the piggy bank is completely full, the coins block that hole so it's easier to hit it with a hammer.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This made me laugh a lot more than it should have.

Feeling a little chilly. Better toss another penguin on the fire.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Khazar-khum posted:

Speaking of theatres https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Price_Riots

quote:

The Old Price Riots of 1809 (also sometimes referred to as the O.P. or OP riots) were caused by rising prices at the new Theatre at Covent Garden, London, after the previous one had been destroyed by fire. [...] The riots lasted three months, and ended with John Philip Kemble, the manager of the theatre, being forced to make a public apology.

On 20 September 1808, the original Covent Garden Theatre was destroyed by a fire along with most of the scenery, costumes and scripts. [...] The new theatre opened on 18 September 1809. The cost of constructing and furnishing the building, however, was so high that the management was forced to raise the prices from six shillings to seven for the boxes, from 3 shillings and sixpence to four shillings for the pit, and the third tier, usually reserved for the public, was converted into private boxes at a rent of £300 per year.
[...]
On the opening night, riots broke out during a performance of Macbeth and continued throughout the play. At the end, the audience refused to leave so Kemble sent for the Bow Street police, but this only made the situation worse, and the rioters did not disperse until 2am. After the first night, the rioters only came in at half price time, and the inside of the theatre was covered with banners and slogans. Newspapers and journals reported frequently on the riots, citing as central to its continuation a perceived suppression of customary liberties and a lack of dialogue between the patrons and the management. At one point, a coffin was carried in with the message "Here lies the body of the new price, which died of the whooping cough on 23 September 1809, aged 6 days". The riots were to last another 64 days. However, unlike earlier riots, little damage was done to the theatre and the whole affair was characterised by a "spirit of fun". The rioters even had a name for themselves: the OPs. The OPs stretched across class and cultural lines, ranging from businessmen to labourers, and pushed Kemble to lower the prices. Kemble did so (and also issued an apology) and the situation returned to normal, until he tried to maintain half the number of private boxes at the start of the next season – the riots started again, forcing him to withdraw his plan.
Reminds me of modern video game fans.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Shackleton's Endurance Expedition had a great moment while waiting for rescue on Elephant Island.

They needed to perform an amputation, and fortunately had chloroform. However, they needed the ambient temperature high enough to allow the chloroform to evaporate. So they heated their shelter by throwing penguin skins onto the fire like the worst sauna.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Free Market Mambo posted:

Pigs are hella smart.

Horses are idiots.

Both are delicious.
I've always liked Churchill's thoughts regarding our porcine chums:

Winston S. Churchill posted:

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Also, Churchill's writings (books, articles, etc.) are credited Winston S. Churchill, since there was an American novelist who was also called Winston Churchill, and so Winston Spencer Churchill used his middle initial to differentiate himself.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

There's also a fish that's so oily that if you dry it and stick a wick in it you have a candle. Appropriately enough it's called candlefish.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Alhazred posted:

There's also a fish that's so oily that if you dry it and stick a wick in it you have a candle. Appropriately enough it's called candlefish.

Mmm. A scented candle, I assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Alhazred posted:

:golfclap:
Thank you for this delightful fact, allowed my to find this image