Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Internet Explorer posted:

So, I have a serious question...

Has anyone actually been attacked by an AI that isn't barbarians? I don't mean declared war on, I mean having them actually attack your cities or units with theirs.

Yes. Big carpet of warriors right to my capital, had to delay walls to pump more archers out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

That policy mod is way overpowered in an already too easy game, you know the AI will never utilize them properly especially if they've been modded.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

DEO3 posted:

Here's one, though it does a lot more than just policy card changes: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/mod-civ-6-improvements-patch.601878/

Someone should tell that modder that rationalism did not need a buff.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
What's with Civ mods and adding like seven unrelated bonuses onto everything? It's like that Civ5 one that made Egypt's Burial Tomb (no upkeep, extra happiness) have a whole drat paragraph of bonuses with truffles and trade routes.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Byzantine posted:

What's with Civ mods and adding like seven unrelated bonuses onto everything? It's like that Civ5 one that made Egypt's Burial Tomb (no upkeep, extra happiness) have a whole drat paragraph of bonuses with truffles and trade routes.

Partly it's a desire for simulationism, whence the More=Better mods; partly it's a desire to strip down the number of options without removing any of the old bonuses so you end up with things being frankensteins of 2-3 old things; partly it's because it's often perceived as more fun to balance by making bad options better than making good options worse so you tack on an extra bonus to the UP thing; partly it's that new overarching systems are set up and taking things out of that context makes them look overcomplicated.

I actually know exactly what you are talking about, and it's the Community Balance Patch/Vox Populi version of Egypt. Happiness was overhauled so the old Happiness bonus was no longer appropriate, and the VP maintainer decided to have no two civilizations replace the same Unique Building so some of the collisions, like the Temple, had to be shuffled around. The Burial Tomb was made into a replacement for the VP Caravansery, and all the trade route and truffle stuff came from it. In the game, the Burial Tomb worked out to "+2-3 faith, Artifact slot and a free Artifact to go in it, free Caravansery."

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

That policy mod is way overpowered in an already too easy game, you know the AI will never utilize them properly especially if they've been modded.

The problem is that this would need to be based on the assumption that the AI doesn't use the systems currently in the game very well. It's not like the AI doesn't use modded things at all. I've been toying around with a mod that adds some buildings and the AI does build them.

The real trick is trying not to give them things that they can cripple themselves with. Like unique improvements. The AI loves to spam those and they're mostly useless.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I definitely hope for more Kongo-like civs in the future. Civs that don't play by everyone else's rules in one way or another (in their case, no religion but way more culture), or Civ V's Venice.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I like the policy cards in principle, swapping things in and out depending on the situation and being able to adapt is kind of like the social engineering screen from Alpha Centauri. There's just something that feels kind of ramshackle and messy about it, though, especially since it doesn't contribute to you feeling like your civ has an "identity" like it does in SMAC or even in V as you lock in the civics tree.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Glidergun posted:

I actually know exactly what you are talking about, and it's the Community Balance Patch/Vox Populi

AKA the best Civ 5 mod. I can't play without it now.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
There should be some penalty for swapping policy cards unless you are changing governments or just unlocked that specific card on that turn.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I don't think there should be a penalty, but instead a limitation to changes that's tied to culture.

There should be another counter, something like Political Capital or some such. Each policy card has a cost value, and enabling said card lowers your pool. Pool points are awarded based on culture techs.

The downside is of course yet another points bucket to fill.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The actual problem is that anyone can pick any government type and policy choice.

While that helps the "haha lol Civ jewish nazis" angle it does nothing for the "actually variegated factions with very different strategies like in the best civ, SMAC" angle. This was the same problem Civ: BE had and it's a wonder they didn't pick up on it.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Argh! my America game is now crashing to desktop whenever I press the end turn button, right when I'm building my nuclear arsenal and about to win.

Anyone wants to multiplayer?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jBrereton posted:

The actual problem is that anyone can pick any government type and policy choice.

While that helps the "haha lol Civ jewish nazis" angle it does nothing for the "actually variegated factions with very different strategies like in the best civ, SMAC" angle. This was the same problem Civ: BE had and it's a wonder they didn't pick up on it.

Seems as though half of the policies benefit a specific strategy ("I am this civ so I choose you, Rationalism!") and the other half are tactical considerations.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Yeah other than the card slots, government types feel very boring. Some policies should be walled behind governments, perhaps.

Also, is it just me or should the Oligarchy and Autocracy names be switched?

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

homullus posted:

Seems as though half of the policies benefit a specific strategy ("I am this civ so I choose you, Rationalism!") and the other half are tactical considerations.

Rationalism is pretty much an auto-lock as soon as you get it regardless of civ or strategy.

Trivia posted:

Yeah other than the card slots, government types feel very boring. Some policies should be walled behind governments, perhaps.

I'd be down for this or at least double the bonuses if it fits the government theme (i.e. Theocracy and Simultaneum).

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What they will eventially have to do, and this helped sink Beyond Earth, is they are going to have to make some things mutually exclusive. Right now in an effort to make it super accessible and be everything to everyone, they trade that for identity and specificity. Thats part of why ideologies were so nice in civ 5 and why cbp makes it better: by forcing you to make choices, you force identity and unique playthroughs

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
Why is there no Workshop for Civ VI? Do I really have to check out the CivFanatics forums to download mods?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Why is there no Workshop for Civ VI? Do I really have to check out the CivFanatics forums to download mods?

There will be, but for now yes.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Is there ever not a reason to prioritize production in each city?

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
I always start out grabbing 2food1prod or 3foods over 2:2 or 1:3 or anything else like that. Food = growth = more civvies to work tiles = more production and food. Around 7 pop you can switch back and confidently pump units out for the rest of the game, or you can keep growing if you have the amenities.

I think it's two food per citizen, so if you don't work those tiles you can't expect to grow or even maintain your population. If you're building wide, you want to prioritize food to bring those cities up to speed asap.

I remember the first time I played, I spammed builders and tile improvements, thinking each tile gave my empire a bonus. Nope. Now I improve tiles as they're needed unless they're luxuries etc.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Is religion very useful, if you're not going for a religious win? It doesn't seem like it unless you take Theocracy, but maybe I'm missing something or severely underestimating purchasing great people. (I'm playing a Germany game and got a Relic out of a hut, so I got a super-early Pantheon and trying to decide if I want to put any effort into this religion thing, or if I should just get a holy site in my third or fourth city and autopilot it in the background.)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
If I wasn't able to found a religion, and I capture a holy city and wipe out its original owner, do I become the founder of that religion?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
no

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Arcturas posted:

Is religion very useful, if you're not going for a religious win? It doesn't seem like it unless you take Theocracy, but maybe I'm missing something or severely underestimating purchasing great people.

This seems to be two separate questions:

Is the opportunity cost of building Stonehedge/Holy sites early enough to grab a great prophet worth it if you are not aiming for a religious victory?

If I don't have my own religion (or one I care about spreading), is it worth it to build holy sites for the non-religion faith purchases?

I don't have any answers but they have popped up in my mind several times while playing.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I built a religious site and did 1 1/2 projects but still couldn't get a prophet, ignored it from then on out, and won anyway. Just ignore it unless you are REALLY wanting to make religious units every turn and fight wave after wave of enemy apostles as if Zapp Brannigan is playing every AI nation.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Arcturas posted:

Is religion very useful, if you're not going for a religious win? It doesn't seem like it unless you take Theocracy, but maybe I'm missing something or severely underestimating purchasing great people. (I'm playing a Germany game and got a Relic out of a hut, so I got a super-early Pantheon and trying to decide if I want to put any effort into this religion thing, or if I should just get a holy site in my third or fourth city and autopilot it in the background.)

It's useful but not killer if you don't build your own religion. Unless you're going for Religious or Cultural victory then Religion is best used to shore up your amenities (not killer, but getting Ecstatic production bonuses is nice) or housing (more important to be honest) or gold production. Basically you can use it to smooth out some of the rough edges by creating a bit of a buffer.

Obviously if you're going religious victory it's the most important thing ever. If you're going for cultural it's also pretty nice, what with Cathedrals and the belief that triples what relics give you.

BTW, I think I have figured out how tourism works from my last game. Basically you fill the tourism bucket with more points as the game goes on, and as each era advances you need less tourism to generate a tourist. So if you build an ancient-era wonder, like say the pyramids, early on you'll have more turns to generate tourism points. It might not seem like much at first (especially since wonders seem to get more tourism points as the game progresses tech eras), but it adds up to a large total. And in later eras you need less tourism to generate a tourist.

So for example if you have enough tourism to generate 10 tourists in the Renaissance, that same amount would generate something like 12 in the Industrial, and then 15 in the Atomic era (numbers pulled out of my rear end but you get the point). Basically it's representing that the older something is, the more time it's had to seep into our culture and become important while also representing that as time goes on it becomes easier and easier for people to travel halfway across the globe to see said culturally important thing.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
So I avoided this thread for a few weeks because I like to enjoy playing my games, but I've popped in to do my complaint that why the gently caress does everything cost so much production, seriously if you take 25% off of everything you'd be fine and you might not need to poo poo Industrial Sites everywhere and have room for other stuff.

I wish citizen management was drag and drop so I can tell a citizen not to work a tile, right now it's just click to select/lock and unlock and that makes the rare times I feel like micromanagement a bit poo poo.

also gently caress OFF WITH YOUR MISSIONARIES PETER

I like all the factions though.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I had 1000 tourism in my last game and was gaining 3 tourists per turn so I nuked everyone and won a conquest victory instead of waiting.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Decrepus posted:

I had 1000 tourism in my last game and was gaining 3 tourists per turn so I nuked everyone and won a conquest victory instead of waiting.

"Leader, reports from Disneyland indicate that the visitor count has stagnated for the fifth year in a row. What should we do?"
"Burn them. Burn them all."

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Playing a non-religion game is so much more relaxing. 7 apostles incoming? Who cares. Just spread your religion quickly and die so my army can travel on that spot again.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
So far, there is a strong correlation between "unfriendly" meaning "yes, you can build an embassy in our capital" and "neutral" meaning "no embassy for you". :psyduck:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Decrepus posted:

That's weird, what tourism modifiers to civs did you have? Was a lot of your tourism religious? Had you met everyone? You should have gotten almost 7 tourists (on average) per turn unless the formula I've seen is completely wrong.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

Spakstik posted:

"Leader, reports from Disneyland indicate that the visitor count has stagnated for the fifth year in a row. What should we do?"
"Burn them. Burn them all."

Pretty much the plot of Jurassic World.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

The Deleter posted:

also gently caress OFF WITH YOUR MISSIONARIES PETER

This so much. I took to leaving inquisitors in each city and every time he converts a city I just destroy it.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Like I guess the easy tweak is to make religious units cost more and have them be proportionally effective which is what the patch did, but it's still super annoying to see missionaries wander over. I think that's just the issue with Religious stuff being units instead of more abstract forces.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If military units could stack on non-at war religious units the game would be a lot better.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

City states all having distinct bonuses is such a great idea though. That's such an improvement over the static bonuses of before.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Is there an offline version of the Civ 6 Civlopedia somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was playing a co-op game and I saw Sumeria was technically first in religion with a dozen apostles marching towards my territory. So I got my partner to declare on Sumeria and gun down all those apostles, while I swooped in and spirit nuked the Sumerian holy city. In the space of 8 turns his entire empire no longer practiced his religion