Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
As a weak SDK I'm comfortable with 10-20 min + 30 sec byoyomi as well, though I've heard second hand that many Korean players play blitz exclusively until 1 dan. I tried that for a while and it just made me very frustrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I was thinking Fischer might be better than byo-yomi for medium-length online games, but I guess it's silly for a timesuji to actually net you more time than you had before the move. Absolute time control would be really dubious in Go, yeah.

I'll continue playing slow games then. I had heard that playing blitz as a new player is bad for you, but I had never really believed that; it's interesting to hear that some Korean players do the opposite, and play only blitz until they become strong amateurs.

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
i played only blitz until i was 1d, it gave me hella bad habits but at least it got me there

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Question: Does it make sense to try play Go with my 4½ year old son? I'm not aiming at him being the next child prodigy, but for fun and company's sake. I am a complete newbie also, so to speak.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Pilsner posted:

Question: Does it make sense to try play Go with my 4½ year old son? I'm not aiming at him being the next child prodigy, but for fun and company's sake. I am a complete newbie also, so to speak.

I'd peruse http://senseis.xmp.net/?TeachingMethods#toc12

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
The supposed 6k level of crazy stone ai played out an obvious ladder all the way across the board. Starting to have doubts about this thing

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

derp posted:

The supposed 6k level of crazy stone ai played out an obvious ladder all the way across the board. Starting to have doubts about this thing

Maybe it thought it was a ladder game.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
So I got my set of stones from Go Game Guru (just their cheaper ~$40 set), and although I'm still waiting on the board to land, I've been playing with friends and doing tsumego on a 9x9 printout taped to cardboard :v:. This is way better then doing it online, I must say. There's just something about the look and tactile feel of actual stones that makes it easier for me to concentrate. I would totally recommend getting stones even just for tsumego if you find you get distracted or uninterested in online/mobile app variants of it.

This poo poo is totally expanding my visual memory though, I'm kinda surprised at how poor mine is. I can practically feel my brain stretching when going through tricky tsumego

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012

derp posted:

you say that like real 6ks never play out obvious ladders

hell, i've seen 3ds play out obvious ladders

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Didn't Lee Sedol dunk on some dude by playing a corner-to-corner ladder?

Yup, here it is. Apparently he didn't trick his opponent into falling for it, but simply made it so that he didn't have a choice but to go along.

Overwined fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 30, 2016

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Well, just played my first real games of Go with the Chicago Go Club (which is to say, a half dozen people in a tea shop). It was pretty fun. My thoughts on the experience are a little scattershot, but I definitely think I enjoyed the game, so I may be appearing in this thread somewhat regularly for a while.

I guess I did fairly well in my first couple games where I had big handicaps on the 9x9 board (but... isn't that easy?) and then got overestimated and got decimated on the 13x13 board. I'm about a ~1500 chess player, which I know is a very different game, but it has taught me the value of getting destroyed, looking stuff up, rinsing and repeating, until things start to make sense.

I tend to process new information pretty slowly, so I had a hard time understanding some of the advice and tactical pointers I was being given, but I'll take a look at online resources soon to get the basics. It should be fun having a new mountain to try to climb!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Finally saw a game that was remotely my skill level and relatively useful (19x19, 10 minutes plus 30sx5, 23k). Completely obliterated him, and I don't think I was playing especially well, just reading a little and making mostly okay moves while he made useless or worse ones.

Still, it's a good indication that 18k is probably a decent estimate, which I got from a couple of live games with some friends at a boardgame con.

Enjoyable, to say the least, though live is so much better. I should probably play against some lower ddk and see how badly I lose by.

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
in case you guys dont know, there's a discord that's been pretty active recently, there's a link in the first post of this thread

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I can never decide if Go is super elegant for its small ruleset or super clunky for being played on a giant board. So I was trying to think about more minimal go.

In a 2x2 game, as far as I can tell there are two lines:

a) play adjacent. This loses:
code:
WB
B.
W dies, and can't place. So here black would claim the whole board?

b) play opposite. Here the players seem to get into a loop:
code:
B.
BW

.W
.W

BW
.W

.W
WW

B.
when the ko rule prevents plays will anybody own anything? It's probably also possible to pass at earlier points, and end up in rotationally symmetric positions that wouldn't technically be the same position.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
Ko prevents the last move in your list, repeating the opening position, and white wins.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
In case anyone hasn't seen it:

from https://www.bamsoftware.com/go/board.html

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Update: I lost like 7/8 of my last blitz games, so I've decided blitz is a dumb game format with no correlation to skill.

Edit: 8/9, I ran into time trouble and blundered in early endgame

nrook fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 3, 2016

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Meanwhile all the guys who beat you are like 'Hell yeah blitz is the way to go!'

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I played in person today, against a shodan. Here's our game with his comments: http://eidogo.com/#vWFnErMM

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So GoGameGuru just shut down their store and their access to Baduk TV

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

jivjov posted:

So GoGameGuru just shut down their store and their access to Baduk TV

Holy poo poo

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
drat. i got my copy of invincible just in time it seems

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm surprised they didn't announce it a week in advance or something to try to clear out excess inventory

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Huh. What's the story here? I know it wasn't exactly yesterday, but they sold out of a ton of different items during the Lee Sedol v AlphaGo boom days.

Maybe they have always been in the red and that got them in the black or close enough to say "eh, gently caress it".

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Overwined posted:

Huh. What's the story here? I know it wasn't exactly yesterday, but they sold out of a ton of different items during the Lee Sedol v AlphaGo boom days.

Maybe they have always been in the red and that got them in the black or close enough to say "eh, gently caress it".

Here's a big ol article saying why:

https://gogameguru.com/roots/

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Closing the shop is the worst thing

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Glad I got my board and stones in time

RitzBlues
May 30, 2014
I played Go one time over 14 years ago. I'm not necessarily interested in learning or playing the game, but I do like to make Perler designs (bead sprites and such). Have any of you considered playing a game of Go over a Perler or Hama pegboard? Perhaps use the large beads as the stones, and tape an image of a Go board under the pegboard (you'd have to scale the image so that the grid intersections line up with the pegs). Once the game is complete, add clear beads in any of the empty spaces, iron the beads, and give the immortalized victory board to the winner?

Another option would be to simply take an image of a completed game, and match the stone placements on a Perler board.

Maybe one day I'll learn how to play again (since I've long forgotten the rules), and try it.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Is the KGS channel ITGO still a thing?
If so, please invite "buffis" again.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Oh... ok
That seems quite a bunch shittier though.
The nice thing about ITGO was that it was super easy to just load one of your latest games in there, and randomly have Prod or someone jump in and review, which was amazing and helped me a ton with my improvement.
Still better than nothing I guess.

Gonna give getting to 1K a shot again. Seem to be about 3K at KGS right now, winning against 2K's sometimes so just about 1.5 stones to go or something.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I mainly use the Discord to bother Shadonra for reviews.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I'm stunned that the next round of the SA tourney is underway.

I just kinda forgot it existed.

I guess that's one way to prompt me to play more.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
So this just happened on Twitter

https://twitter.com/demishassabis/status/816660463282954240

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Pander posted:

I'm stunned that the next round of the SA tourney is underway.

I just kinda forgot it existed.

I guess that's one way to prompt me to play more.

a lot of goons abandoned it because it was created as a public tournament and full of non-goons who are taking forever to respond

the somethingawful securities cup is the canonical one - someone should make one for 2017 but remember to think carefully about the settings to ensure only group members are invited and the scoring and time settings is not poo poo!!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I have a terrible, dark confession to make. When I see someone on OGS or KGS who uses as their avatar a shadowy, soft monochrome photo (likely taken through an instragram filter) of themselves, I want to crush them so loving bad.

EDIT: I've also done it again, which is to say got outplayed badly by a weaker opponent then came back with an absurd invasion that shouldn't have worked. Invasion starts at move 106.

Overwined fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 10, 2017

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Overwined posted:

I have a terrible, dark confession to make. When I see someone on OGS or KGS who uses as their avatar a shadowy, soft monochrome photo (likely taken through an instragram filter) of themselves, I want to crush them so loving bad.

EDIT: I've also done it again, which is to say got outplayed badly by a weaker opponent then came back with an absurd invasion that shouldn't have worked. Invasion starts at move 106.

Yowch. He probably should have extended move 109 instead of taking the stone. Let you get some connectivity going. Looked too eager to cut and kill, played too close to you, let you build strength.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna go ahead and resurrect this thread to say, I'm on the gopanda2 pandanet go server as 'littleprof,' I've managed to go 5-5 with players from 9k-11k since joining. Anyone in here still playing? Wouldn't mind some goon games. (this place: http://pandanet-igs.com/communities/gopanda2)

The client seems to have no 'undo' button, so....place your stones carefully!

I've also played a bunch of games with my dad, who seems to inexplicably have my number despite rating as 14k so far on the server. Literally everyone else I have played and defeated has been 9k-11k. No fair using fatherly knowledge to your advantage :mad:

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 7, 2017

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

In case it's of any use to anyone, having picked up a board and stones over the holidays, I've been trying to learn how to play (more or less on my own at this point) and having read through a few beginners' guides, I've found Learn to Play Go, Vol. 1: A Master's Guide to be very clear and helpful.

SmartGo (for iPhone) has also been useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Observe lots of games, and not just high level ones. Observing lower ranked players can be a great way to get yourself tuned up too. I observe 5-10 games for every game I actually play.