Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you're looking at Android, the Pixel C will likely be better than whatever Samsung is offering. The Nvidia Shield K1 is probably the best bang for your buck, but the Pixel is a bit better, and he might be more comfortable on its bigger screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
OK new plan. My sister was wanting to get a laptop killer for my dad's bday but I think something like that is a pretty major purchase that he should probably be involved in, so I've talked her into instead getting him a starter tablet that he could just mess around with and figure out what he likes and what he doesn't, then later on if he decides to upgrade he'll already know what to look for.

Looks like she wants to go with Windows Surface for the OS familiarity and keyboard attachment, and I assume you can plug a USB mouse into just about any of them and simulate regular kb+m operations right? Is there a model/version of a Surface that would make a good testing-the-waters tablet so he see what one is like but without feeling like it's some big expensive gadget commitment?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Surface 3 is cool, but about two years old

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Takes No Damage posted:

OK new plan. My sister was wanting to get a laptop killer for my dad's bday but I think something like that is a pretty major purchase that he should probably be involved in, so I've talked her into instead getting him a starter tablet that he could just mess around with and figure out what he likes and what he doesn't, then later on if he decides to upgrade he'll already know what to look for.

Looks like she wants to go with Windows Surface for the OS familiarity and keyboard attachment, and I assume you can plug a USB mouse into just about any of them and simulate regular kb+m operations right? Is there a model/version of a Surface that would make a good testing-the-waters tablet so he see what one is like but without feeling like it's some big expensive gadget commitment?

Just saw on Slickdeals the Surface Pro 4 for $550.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the recommendations. We ended up splitting the difference and got a Surface 3 Pro with an i5, 256GB internal and 8GB RAM. That should be enough to at least act like a little satellite PC for lightweight picture editing and spreadsheets and stuff.

We read that the SP3 plastic keyboards are trash and we should get a glass one from the SP4 line, that still true?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I did not know they had glass ones for the 4. I had a SP3, and it lasted me a deployment overseas, and I was happy with the keyboard. Left a little to be desired when playing games like KSP, but was otherwise fine for typing. No Cooler Master Cherry MX Green, mind you, but perfectly adequate.

We have the Surface 3 (non pro) for work. I'm a medic, and work in an ambulance, and we use it daily, multiple times a day, in difficult environments. It's on my charting computer. I haven't had any failures of the keyboard, other than some occasional cleaning required on the contacts due to the...environment I use it in. But, for a work computer, with a very difficult life, it's just fine. I'm on mobile right now, in bed, and am too lazy to look up the price difference. If it's more than $25, just get the normal keyboard. It's just fine.

E: VVVVVV

I did not know it was such a dramatic improvement.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 31, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

We read that the SP3 plastic keyboards are trash and we should get a glass one from the SP4 line, that still true?

The 4 keyboard is just a straight-up dramatic improvement on the 3, either keyboard can attach to either device. The 4 has fingerprint and non-fingerprint versions, up to you if you think the overpriced fingerprint scanner is worth it.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Has anyone heard any updated rumors on the release date for the Yoga Tab 3 Plus? I thought it was October.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

me your dad posted:

Has anyone heard any updated rumors on the release date for the Yoga Tab 3 Plus? I thought it was October.

pretty sure I've seen one at JB HIFI for around 748 dalloaridoos. also does anyone have any opinions of the asus transformer pro 3?

Peep Jerky
Apr 11, 2005
I've currently got an ASUS Transformer TF300 that I'd like to replace because it takes like five loving minutes to open a website in Chrome, but I don't want to spend more than $250. I know I'll have to go used since every tablet I've seen in that price range sucks, but I want to see what tablets the thread recommends. I got the ASUS used from Amazon anyway. I almost exclusively use it to fling Youtube videos to my TV and read comics, and only occasionally do I use Twitter, Amazon Music, or read a website. I had looked at the Nvidia shield, but I want to get another 10" since I'll use it to read comics. Are there any (used) tablets I should even consider at that price range?

GBS Ambassador
Oct 31, 2013
LG V940N tablet may be similar to what you are looking for. (10 inch, 1080p, 2.2ghz quad-core, micro-sd slot)

https://www.amazon.com/LG-10-1-Inch-2-26GHZ-QUAD-CORE-Display/dp/B01879EMWM/

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
How Is the Samsung Tab A-line? Since the OP doesn't even mention it, but it keeps dominating the bestseller list on Amazon. Is it outselling the S-line because it's just cheaper or is there more to it?

Peep Jerky
Apr 11, 2005
Just saw this posted in Coupons, so I bought one since it's $40 cheaper than that LG V940N right now and slightly newer. I read a couple reviews quick and sounds like it will be good for what little I will do with it.

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 16GB 10.1" tablet for $189

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
What is the tablet with the best camera?

The use of the tablet will be for watching streaming contents from websites, facebook, and taking pictures of the garden to post on facebook. Also playing slot type games. I want to stay under $400, but a good camera is important so willing to pay more.

Femur fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 21, 2016

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Femur posted:

What is the tablet with the best camera?

The use of the tablet will be for watching streaming contents from websites, facebook, and taking pictures of the garden to post on facebook. Also playing slot type games. I want to stay under $400, but a good camera is important so willing to pay more.

Maybe try to find a used iPad Pro 9.7, since it has the same 12MP camera as the iPhone 6s do? From a quick glance, it looks like all the other major manufacturers have roughly the same quality of 8MP camera on their models, so it'd probably be down to who has better image processing and/or software. Don't buy a Samsung though, I can tell you from personal experience that the image output is terrible.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

plainswalker75 posted:

Maybe try to find a used iPad Pro 9.7, since it has the same 12MP camera as the iPhone 6s do? From a quick glance, it looks like all the other major manufacturers have roughly the same quality of 8MP camera on their models, so it'd probably be down to who has better image processing and/or software. Don't buy a Samsung though, I can tell you from personal experience that the image output is terrible.

Thanks, I think the Ipad Pro is on sale right now for 480 at Frys.. Do you have an experience with the Lenovo 3 Pro? It has a 13MP camera also, and is only $330, and that stand looks useful.

Femur fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 21, 2016

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
My laptop is starting to die, and my tablet is a few years old. I'm thinking of replacing them both with an asus transformer pro 3 with i5 and 8 GB ram, or the equivalent surface pro 4. is this a good idea, or would cheaper to buy an android tablet like a yoga tab, and a cheapish laptop? Do you think this will be enough to run matlab and maybe solidwork? also is 256 GB enough to dual boot windows 10 and ubuntu 16.04?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

[quote="plainswalker75" . Don't buy a Samsung though, I can tell you from personal experience that the image output is terrible.
[/quote]

Really? My tabpro made some really nice images.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Femur posted:

Thanks, I think the Ipad Pro is on sale right now for 480 at Frys.. Do you have an experience with the Lenovo 3 Pro? It has a 13MP camera also, and is only $330, and that stand looks useful.

Sorry, I haven't used a Lenovo tablet since the original ThinkPad Tablet 5 years ago, but from looking at a few reviews, it sounds like it'd probably be a good fit for your needs.

u fink u hard Percy posted:

Really? My tabpro made some really nice images.

I've used both the Galaxy Tab A and Tab S to take pictures and they seemed to need bright, clear sunshine to get any kind of quality picture; overcast skies and indoors with normal fluorescent lighting always seemed to result in grainy or blurry pictures, whereas my fiancée's iPad mini wouldn't have any problem. The TabPro is a bit of a higher price category though, so it's possible they cheaped out on the camera for the models I was using.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I've been wondering about getting an android tablet for a while now, mostly to browse the web, read the forums and do some chromecasting and stuff. Since my phone is an android I'd kinda like to stick to the Android ecosystem so I have a single app store where I get/buy stuff.

From what I gather the top of the line is still the Pixel C from like a year ago? Is there any indication of something better coming out in the near future? The Sony xperia z4 seems to be one of the better recent android tablets from what I gathered, any opinions about that one?

How hosed would I be by trying to keep my devices android instead of just buying an ipad?

E: budget would be about 600 euro I guess

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 23, 2016

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I would like to get my wife a Surface Pro 4 for her birthday. The heaviest lifting she would do on it would be basic Illustrator usage- things like graphs, drawing, logos etc. I'm set on the i5, 256gb, but unsure of whether to spring for the 8gb ram or save money with the 4gb. Anyone have experience using illustrator on the 4gb version?

edit: Thanks, ended up splurging on the i7/256gb/8gb at the Microsoft Store, after getting ignored at both Best Buy and Staples (even after trying to ask for help at Best Buy). In any case, the Microsoft Store is awesome, and was a pleasant buying experience - will never set foot in a big box store again. Wife loves the Surface Pro!

grenada fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 24, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Get the 8 GB. Illustrator is a hefty program and you can't upgrade it once you have it.

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan
So I've been thinking about getting a tablet in the past but never pulled the trigger. I have more than enough laptop and desktop computers (all PC) in my life and have always had Android smartphones.

Reading the OP and various other sources (Wirecutter), am I still to understand that the iPad Air 2 is the "best" general-purpose tablet?

My use case will likely be web browsing/forums, youtube, reading eBooks and possibly communications-related work stuff (Outlook, Slack). rear end in easy chair/couch type stuff I think.

When I travel I'm likely to take a laptop and maybe the iPad too? idk

Best Buy currently has iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi 128GB on sale for $375 which seems like the lowest I've ever seen it. Am I missing something?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I mean, an iPad Pro is better, but an Air 2 is still a very good tablet. You're not missing anything. They're just offering $125 off the price.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if this is the place to ask exactly but is the Galaxy TabPro S worth buying? I do a lot of reading and a lot of it is comics so I really like the idea of a 12 inch screen. That it runs Windows 10 full-stop is also very appealing but that's mostly just preference for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm sure it's fine but I can't see any reason to get it over a Surface Pro 4.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I was going to say price but then I looked again and you're pretty much right. Thanks much.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
OLED screen?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
After considering for a while I have also been looking into the Surface Pro 4 since it seems to be a pretty sexy piece of tech. After quickly realising that they did the dick move of forcing you to buy the 150 euro keyboard separately it turned out the thing is way more expensive than at first glance :v:

Amazon has the 4GB 128GB version with keyboard at 1000 euro and for the 8GB 256 GB version it jumps up to a whopping 1400 euros (goddamn tech seems so much cheaper overseas). How hosed are you with only 4GB of ram ? I know for most computers 8 is a solid standard nowadays, would you be limited to use it only for streaming/browsing ?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I've been looking at Windows devices and found this video pretty interesting for games performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDQLNfpdrtQ

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
So this looks too good to be true, which means it probably is, but it's sorely tempting me to put down a reserve. Does anyone else have experience with this kind of thing, or advice?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/eve-v-the-first-ever-crowd-developed-computer-laptop-tablet#/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol this looks vaporware as gently caress

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Is the Surface Pro 4 worth the money? My Nexus 7 has been performing terribly for ages and I could probably use a new laptop. I'd been thinking of replacing both with a SP4 but it just seems like I could probably get a tablet and laptop for cheaper.

I was looking at the higher end ones because I'd probably want to throw Visual Studio on it and pretend to myself that I'm definitely going to work on some personal projects after coding all day in work. :v:

Other usage would just be general video streaming, Web browsing, email, Office stuff.

Would one of the cheaper ones do the job?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

irlZaphod posted:

Is the Surface Pro 4 worth the money? My Nexus 7 has been performing terribly for ages and I could probably use a new laptop. I'd been thinking of replacing both with a SP4 but it just seems like I could probably get a tablet and laptop for cheaper.

I was looking at the higher end ones because I'd probably want to throw Visual Studio on it and pretend to myself that I'm definitely going to work on some personal projects after coding all day in work. :v:

Other usage would just be general video streaming, Web browsing, email, Office stuff.

I'm jealous of my wife's i5/8gb/256 which is $999 a Microsoft with a Type Cover (normally like $100)...which is a pretty good deal

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan

irlZaphod posted:

I can't imagine buying a Windows development machine with less than 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD. YMMV.

You can't replace the RAM in a Surface Pro 4, so to get 8GB RAM requires at least the Core i5. Upgrade the SSD to 256GB and you're looking at $1299 before accessories (or discount). Add the surface pro type cover for $100 ($130 Microsoft Store) b/c I'm not going to write code w/o a physical keyboard and we're at $1399 retail.

Can you find a laptop and tablet pair you like/prefer for less than $1399 $999?

Fake edit: Gariig's deal looks pretty sweet if you're leaning towards the SP4

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Ugh the French Microsoft store online offers a deal on the cheapest SP4 model (m3/4/128) and that one (i5/8/256) sits at 1450 euro on their site without keyboard. But I'm really not sure how useful a 4gb ram version would be.

E: I guess rather how limited it would be, since 8 GB seems to be a more healthy standard for Windows machines in general afaik. Also on only 128gb I guess the OS would take a significant chunk already.

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 27, 2016

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Out of interest does anyone have any experience with the entry level core m3 SP4?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

dbcooper posted:

I can't imagine buying a Windows development machine with less than 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD. YMMV.

You can't replace the RAM in a Surface Pro 4, so to get 8GB RAM requires at least the Core i5. Upgrade the SSD to 256GB and you're looking at $1299 before accessories (or discount). Add the surface pro type cover for $100 ($130 Microsoft Store) b/c I'm not going to write code w/o a physical keyboard and we're at $1399 retail.

Can you find a laptop and tablet pair you like/prefer for less than $1399 $999?
Yeah I do agree with all this, particularly the last part. At the end of the day, I could buy a 7" or 9" Android tablet and a new laptop for probably a lot cheaper. If I'm honest, my current laptop really just needs a new battery. The attraction of the Surface is being able to replace 2 devices with 1 but dropping €1k+ on that seems kind of crazy.

When I was browsing around today I was looking at a Yoga Book, which looked quite nifty for a tablet/low end laptop combo. What are people's impressions of those?

E: actually on the subject of Windows tablets, what are they like using them touchscreen only? It's one reservation which I have. I like Windows 10 just fine as an OS but I have not used it touchscreen. What is app support like?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'd buy a Oneplus 3T with a 10" screen. Pity tablets are dead and no one wants to manufacture them anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Fathis Munk posted:

Ugh the French Microsoft store online offers a deal on the cheapest SP4 model (m3/4/128) and that one (i5/8/256) sits at 1450 euro on their site without keyboard. But I'm really not sure how useful a 4gb ram version would be.
Yeah I'm just looking on the Irish store and it's the same, only the m3 for €799 and the i5/4/128 model for €899. It comes with the type cover though. It seems like a really good deal but like you say, the 4GB could be severely underpowered.