Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'm trying out a una list with the wold wrath. Kind of like it. Need to try it more. He's a good hof target. I won but it was all Ravagers moving 5" during maintenance to take out a angelius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

S.J. posted:

I did for 3 turns. He was getting very upset about not being able to assault into my bundle of sword knights :v:

gently caress your sword knights 4 eva.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's the easiest way to strip models down to metal/plastic/resin without harming the actual models? Just regular paint thinner?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What's the easiest way to strip models down to metal/plastic/resin without harming the actual models? Just regular paint thinner?

Avoid thinner because some thinners will melt plastic, use simple green or super clean baths to strip the paint without damaging the models

Note: super clean will degrade super glue joins

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Avoid thinner because some thinners will melt plastic, use simple green or super clean baths to strip the paint without damaging the models

Note: super clean will degrade super glue joins

Simple Green also really degrades super glue. You'll need to re-glue everything after bathing the figures. In many cases this is a huge benefit, since used figs are often glued awfully.

If you aren't working with resin and don't want to re-glue, use denatured alcohol. You can get an electric toothbrush and a tin. Dipping the figure and then immediately going over it with the toothbrush will just melt the paint off the figure. Anymore, I only use simple green when a glue job is bad or I'm working with resin.

Other thing to note is don't wear prescription glasses when you're working with denatured alcohol. It will damage the coating on them from the misting caused by the electric toothbrush.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I ended up going with Purple Power concentrate. It softens the stuff enough that I can just rub the paint right off without damaging the models

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My store has 60% off all their new in box WMH stuff today to clear out stuff that's been sitting around. So now I play Farrow I guess!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'm jealous

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Local store had 50% off and buy one get one on PP paint sets, so I have the Trollbloods starter and PP paints now.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
You bastards and all your cheap things. I was considering picking up a CoC starter but the complete dearth of support has me leery of purchasing anything. I get they were limited release, but as one of the few Warmachine factions I like the look of I was hoping that they would reverse their opinion somewhat on the faction. It doesn't help that the new Hordes faction is on the horizon and with the new farrow tier list, I have plenty to occupy me even if I don't buy anything new.

Can anyone confirm/deny/remember what the new deal with books is now that we are in MK3. I distinctly remember PP saying something along the lines of they aren't releasing books like Exigence etc anymore. Instead, there will be fluff books, the command books, and new model releases.I was having this discussion last night and neither my friend nor I could remember for certain what the new deal was (or if there was one).

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hoboskins posted:

Can anyone confirm/deny/remember what the new deal with books is now that we are in MK3. I distinctly remember PP saying something along the lines of they aren't releasing books like Exigence etc anymore. Instead, there will be fluff books, the command books, and new model releases.I was having this discussion last night and neither my friend nor I could remember for certain what the new deal was (or if there was one).

Roughly right. There will also be theme books, which have a theme list for a faction and some new models to support them. Expect one per year for each faction once command books are done, since this is the way that new models get added to the lines. You guys are also correct that the combined books like Warmachine has done in the past are dead.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
They are moving to a honest to god on codex system replete with special rules and benefits found only in the codex. Will be hilarious if the actual release schedule for the codices ends up being Circle getting Christmas every other month, while Skorne get a new codex every other edition.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
We haven't seen any of the books but it's definitely time to be all doom and gloom you guys.

Hell if the current theme forces we've seen are any indication the theme books will mostly be underwhelming to just ok.

Edit lol pranked by not noticing that was a post by king mweh.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Well, I gave it some time like I said I would and I'm still not feeling Warmachine anymore, so my ret is definitely for sale.

Slightly more than 50% off of MSRP.

List: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18t6vnSPQaMWWJiGU5mAbPlaEInhvszg5qnUL3P4ZGqw/edit?usp=sharing

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Cyclomatic posted:

They are moving to a honest to god on codex system replete with special rules and benefits found only in the codex. Will be hilarious if the actual release schedule for the codices ends up being Circle getting Christmas every other month, while Skorne get a new codex every other edition

Uhhhhhh where the gently caress do I start with this shitpost. First off, they said every faction will get one book a year, so the every other edition thing is bullshit you made up. Second, the only "special rules" that will be in the books are loving theme forces, which have always been somewhat asymmetrical between factions. I know people love to chicken little the gently caress out of changes, but God drat.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
This is the same dude who repeatedly said that Corvus Belli's (Infinity) staff should be fired for daring to take holiday leave during the year of their 3rd edition changeover. He's got ~opinions~

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fyrbrand posted:

We haven't seen any of the books but it's definitely time to be all doom and gloom you guys.

Hell if the current theme forces we've seen are any indication the theme books will mostly be underwhelming to just ok.

Edit lol pranked by not noticing that was a post by king mweh.

I honestly don't see the problem with going to faction only releases per se. The GW model of some guys not getting books on any regular intervals (see Bretonnians or Craftworld Eldar until recently) is bad, but I'm not sure how uneven releases that came from everyone having to have stuff in every book in roughly even numbers is any better as a rule.

I'd much rather only spend on the book for my faction(s) than get a larger book mostly dedicated to stuff I don't play. Also if it helps have the faster book to table pipeline (given the IMO stupidity about using conversions for unreleased models) that would be huge for the game. Long lead times where you have to balance or plan for figures that aren't out yet (see the Splatter Boar, Battle Boar, and Inflictor) is really bad for the game.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GEMorris posted:

Well, I gave it some time like I said I would and I'm still not feeling Warmachine anymore, so my ret is definitely for sale.

Slightly more than 50% off of MSRP.

List: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18t6vnSPQaMWWJiGU5mAbPlaEInhvszg5qnUL3P4ZGqw/edit?usp=sharing

If you're willing to split some of the stuff out, there's more than a few pieces that I'd be interested in. If you're willing to do that, can you tell me if the Riflemen are the metals or plastics?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

rkajdi posted:

I honestly don't see the problem with going to faction only releases per se. The GW model of some guys not getting books on any regular intervals (see Bretonnians or Craftworld Eldar until recently) is bad, but I'm not sure how uneven releases that came from everyone having to have stuff in every book in roughly even numbers is any better as a rule.

I'd much rather only spend on the book for my faction(s) than get a larger book mostly dedicated to stuff I don't play. Also if it helps have the faster book to table pipeline (given the IMO stupidity about using conversions for unreleased models) that would be huge for the game. Long lead times where you have to balance or plan for figures that aren't out yet (see the Splatter Boar, Battle Boar, and Inflictor) is really bad for the game.

Uneven model releases has already been happening for years. The only thing this really changes is that you probably won't have a grolar release happening again.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

S.J. posted:

Uneven model releases has already been happening for years. The only thing this really changes is that you probably won't have a grolar release happening again.

When I mean uneven releases, I was more discussing the idea that certain factions "won" books. This only made sense in that stuff was pushed out more for model count parity in the book. Bad figures also need to be supported into perpetuity with PP's current design (I doubt this continues much longer TBQH) so they are effectively a huge weight around the neck of PP from a distribution standpoint. Honestly, the best thing that could happen to them is rapid SKU reduction, and there are really only two ways to do that-- Multi-kits or a line reduction. There's zero reason to stock four different Ret light jacks when you could simply do plastic sculpts for the aspis and do the set as a single kit, maybe including a modest price increase. Same for Skorne Cyclops, Legion Nephilim, or really almost every light jack chassis. Killing off 10-20 SKUs without reducing the number of figure out there for play would be the best thing for the game right now.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
If you enter a hazard and take a damage roll, and then end activation in the hazard, you take a second damage roll, correct?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Pretty sure you only take a damage roll from a given hazard once per turn.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Enter OR end is the general rule with fart cloud effects

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Jimmy Hats posted:

If you enter a hazard and take a damage roll, and then end activation in the hazard, you take a second damage roll, correct?

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Enter OR end is the general rule with fart cloud effects

Yeah, it's never both on anything that I've ever seen.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
The release schedule change sucks because part of the social fun about the game was when everyone got new stuff announced at once and there was just a ton of discussion and buzz at my store. But to say that's the first step on the road to becoming GW is well...um, it's close to Jesus' birthday so I don't wanna swear.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Just in case people didn't know, 25% off Muse on Minis arcylic tokens. Pretty good prices if this is your kind of thing.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

My initial impressions of the theme forces are that they aren't going to be as overwhelming as Mk2, so I'm not as concerned about staggered releases of those at the start. The new Troll theme force is pretty cool and gives some nice bonuses, but the Takedown addition means it's not an automatic take, since sometimes you're gonna want the other weapon triggers on your Trollbloods. On the other hand, it's a good meta call if you're worried about Tough swarms. I'm really looking forward to a Legion one that enables primarily taking Ogrun, but it's not like I'm crippled in the meantime, and (hopefully) the Ogrun force will be on par with an unrestricted list, rather than underwhelming or overwhelming.

New model stats being on a staggered release is the only real downside I see, and that's mostly in terms of hype generation. I mean, we've never had synchronous release of every model from a book before, so it's not like moving to a staggered book release is likely to change much, but it felt like to me that each of the previous books generated a lot of excitement for each faction's fans, while now people are going to be drumming their fingers waiting for "their" faction's book to release, and kvetching about the other factions.

I think they should go back to all-in-one Hordes/WMH books at some point, but keep their stated intent of not trying to have equivalent model releases anymore and focus on what a faction needs/what plays to their identity (so if one faction is getting a solo, that doesn't necessarily mean a new solo has to be designed for all of the other factions in the same book. Like maybe Cryx gets a warcaster/warjack/solo, but they can't think of a solo for Menoth at that point in time so they design a new unit attachment and give Menoth warcaster/warjack/UA in that book).

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Give trollbloods ambushing backstabbing long leash blitzers in a them force IMO. Oh and replace the animus with far strike.

In other news i looooooove jarl skuld, and highwaymen, and blitzers. Trolls r cool and good.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jimmy Hats posted:

Give trollbloods ambushing backstabbing long leash blitzers in a them force IMO. Oh and replace the animus with far strike.

In other news i looooooove jarl skuld, and highwaymen, and blitzers. Trolls r cool and good.

What animus are you replacing with far strike because if it's rage eat poo poo

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
nah blitzers have bulldoze

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

I just picked up a tiny bit if Troll bloods in a trade and hoping it'll be a decent start to slow growth my 4th faction.

Got:
Grim1
Grim2
Blitzer
Bomber
1 unit of Northern Fire Eaters

Having only looked over the deck on war room briefly, how would you prioritize purchases? I'm assuming Kriel Stone first. I was recommended a unit of warders, but not sure where else to go with Grim.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Yeah you probably want krielstones.

I'd also grab a pyre troll to pair with those fire eaters.

And some whelps because they are how we manage resources.

And a Mauler or Rok for the damage buff.

Aaaaaand maybe a battlebox or half the two player starter to fill things out for cheap (I loooooooove impalers)

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pyrolocutus posted:

My initial impressions of the theme forces are that they aren't going to be as overwhelming as Mk2, so I'm not as concerned about staggered releases of those at the start. The new Troll theme force is pretty cool and gives some nice bonuses, but the Takedown addition means it's not an automatic take, since sometimes you're gonna want the other weapon triggers on your Trollbloods. On the other hand, it's a good meta call if you're worried about Tough swarms. I'm really looking forward to a Legion one that enables primarily taking Ogrun, but it's not like I'm crippled in the meantime, and (hopefully) the Ogrun force will be on par with an unrestricted list, rather than underwhelming or overwhelming.

As long as they are being smart and not allowing point benefits to accrue on the things that give the point benefits (i.e. reduce costs of jacks by 2 instead of a free solo for 20 points of units) I think the theme forces won't be automatic. The only theme that seems required right now is the Cephalyx one, because well it is. I like the more open themes, and am looking forward to seeing some for the major armies instead of just Mercs & Minions.

That said, I'm still of two minds about "waiting for a theme to make X work", because I want units not to be stuck in a single theme or with a single caster. I love Cataphracts, but that means I want them to good all the time (which is sounding more and more like a possibility) not just in a new Fist of Halaak.

quote:

New model stats being on a staggered release is the only real downside I see, and that's mostly in terms of hype generation. I mean, we've never had synchronous release of every model from a book before, so it's not like moving to a staggered book release is likely to change much, but it felt like to me that each of the previous books generated a lot of excitement for each faction's fans, while now people are going to be drumming their fingers waiting for "their" faction's book to release, and kvetching about the other factions.

I guess. but nothing's dumber than basically getting the rules to your new stuff, then having it gatekept because proxies or conversions are poo poo on while PP fails to deliver a model in a timely manner. I think you'd see a different though about this if conversions were allowed like with GW back in the day, but that would open a whole new avenue of hate with people because PP has to be the anti-GW for some reason.

quote:

I think they should go back to all-in-one Hordes/WMH books at some point, but keep their stated intent of not trying to have equivalent model releases anymore and focus on what a faction needs/what plays to their identity (so if one faction is getting a solo, that doesn't necessarily mean a new solo has to be designed for all of the other factions in the same book. Like maybe Cryx gets a warcaster/warjack/solo, but they can't think of a solo for Menoth at that point in time so they design a new unit attachment and give Menoth warcaster/warjack/UA in that book).

All in one books that don't need to be parallel might be OK, but again you'd have to put up with stuff not being released for a long time after the book comes out, instead of the 2-3 months as is planned for the theme and command book. The all in one books would also be cool if all the releases were interrelated, so say Thyron 2 + Swordsmen CA + Ellowyr solo instead of being scattershot across a bunch of different things and having to wait multiple books to get a full boat with a sub faction.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
What I don't get is how the new trollblood command is out imminently but all the model spoilers these days are for circle

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

rkajdi posted:

That said, I'm still of two minds about "waiting for a theme to make X work", because I want units not to be stuck in a single theme or with a single caster. I love Cataphracts, but that means I want them to good all the time (which is sounding more and more like a possibility) not just in a new Fist of Halaak.

Agreed on that point, but I think Ogrun are still decent at the moment. Basically I just want more goodies for doing something I'd be ok with doing anyways :v:

Jimmy Hats posted:

What I don't get is how the new trollblood command is out imminently but all the model spoilers these days are for circle

For some reason only Madrak3 is hitting in December, and we saw his distributor blurb a while back. The distributor blurbs for Jan's releases, with Kaya3 and the character WW just hit recently so that's what we've been talking about.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

rkajdi posted:

That said, I'm still of two minds about "waiting for a theme to make X work", because I want units not to be stuck in a single theme or with a single caster.

Didn't they say there would be theme force exclusive models? Or did I imagine that because I want it to be a thing?

It's much easier to balance a new thing (and make it good and interesting without breaking the game) within a smaller subset of an faction than with in the whole faction. I hope they don't release new models for units though. I would prefer just a variant card for the theme force. I'll buy all the solos.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Alokgen posted:

I just picked up a tiny bit if Troll bloods in a trade and hoping it'll be a decent start to slow growth my 4th faction.

Got:
Grim1
Grim2
Blitzer
Bomber
1 unit of Northern Fire Eaters

Having only looked over the deck on war room briefly, how would you prioritize purchases? I'm assuming Kriel Stone first. I was recommended a unit of warders, but not sure where else to go with Grim.

Krielstone plus Elder IMO

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GoodBee posted:

Didn't they say there would be theme force exclusive models? Or did I imagine that because I want it to be a thing?

It's much easier to balance a new thing (and make it good and interesting without breaking the game) within a smaller subset of an faction than with in the whole faction. I hope they don't release new models for units though. I would prefer just a variant card for the theme force. I'll buy all the solos.

There will be models made for and released with the theme force books, but they all will also be usable outside of the themes.

The example they gave was a Man o War battle engine.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Fyrbrand posted:

There will be models made for and released with the theme force books, but they all will also be usable outside of the themes.

The example they gave was a Man o War battle engine.

That's less fun. I want to see something that's good and fun with casters X, Y, and Z that couldn't normally exist in a Faction because it would be broken with caster A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

They might come out with something like the league models but for theme lists eventually