Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/EricLiptonNYT/status/802855945093206017
I love great new American Ideas™®©

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

botany posted:

What the gently caress is the alt-left supposed to be, and how is it different from the regular left :confused:

BLM protestors chanting "Pigs in a blanket, fry 'me like bacon" seems to be what they're bringing up as their actual example of what the Alt-Left is.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

zegermans posted:

Left - "I think that the capitalist system can function if we have proper laws that redistribute wealth in a way that people aren't literally dying"

Alt-Left - "Juche Forever also Mao did nothing wrong"

There's no such thing as the alt left. And the capitalism the democratic establishment wants cannot by any metric be considered left wing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

zegermans posted:

Left - "I think that the capitalist system can function if we have proper laws that redistribute wealth in a way that people aren't literally dying"

Used to date a girl who honestly argued that Mao did nothing wrong and that the government he formed was perfect and a shinning example of communism that fell due to captialist influences. She wasn't even Chinese.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Nick Cannon thinks public education is a private corporation?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Nevvy Z posted:

Ok which one of you wrote this comedy dumpster piece.

The Neoliberal Echo Chamber Is Turning Us All Into Idiots
http://www.newslogue.com/debate/138

Finally, the Donal Logue news site we've all been waiting fo-oh... oh.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Nevvy Z posted:

The Neoliberal Echo Chamber Is Turning Us All Into Idiots
http://www.newslogue.com/debate/138

I love all the unironic meme usage and telling us to read fake news.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Covok posted:

Used to date a girl who honestly argued that Mao did nothing wrong and that the government he formed was perfect and a shinning example of communism that fell due to captialist influences. She wasn't even Chinese.

Had a classmate in a graduate level political theory proseminar once casually ask if the great leap forward was "really that bad," given China's population. It was completely unrelated to whatever we were discussing, he just happened to be pondering it at that moment.
He also once vigorously defended Tito's Yugoslavia and Serbia. To an Albanian from Kosovo. loving tankies.

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again

Covok posted:

You dated an LF poster?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

zegermans posted:

This is a strange statement to me. The reason "alternative right" is a dumb phrase and idea is that it's not new or alternative. It's just a polite repackaging of paleoconservative white nationalism and vague isolationism with modern hip phrases like anti-political correctness and a focus on Islam as the boogeyman over black people and Jewish people (while still hating them too). It only makes even the barest sense as "alternative" because neoconservatism and business-oriented neoliberalism have been the order of the day for decades.

Marxist-Leninism, which you're basically describing in reductive internet stupidity terms, is only an "alternative left" in relation to mainstream modern progressivism and social democracy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Alt Left is definitely " Full Communism Now".

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Nevvy Z posted:

"I've gone rogue. If you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it, give a lass a hand by sharing it, liking me up bigly on Facebook, or even maybe chucking a few shekels my way on Patreon."

It's Reddit, friend. Reddit wrote this.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Hollismason posted:

Alt Left is definitely " Full Communism Now".

I assume you're referring to revolutionary Marxist-Leninism, an actual political ideology, and not an internet meme.

Like if you want to argue that Marxist-Leninism is bad or outdated that's fine. I just think that calling it the alt-left is dumb and seeking out an equivocation for equivocation's sake. Tankies, to use the silly Internet name for them, have no meaningful power and are largely a joke in most places. The alt-right just got one of their leaders into a position of power in the White House.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Lightning Knight posted:

This is a strange statement to me. The reason "alternative right" is a dumb phrase and idea is that it's not new or alternative. It's just a polite repackaging of paleoconservative white nationalism and vague isolationism with modern hip phrases like anti-political correctness and a focus on Islam as the boogeyman over black people and Jewish people (while still hating them too). It only makes even the barest sense as "alternative" because neoconservatism and business-oriented neoliberalism have been the order of the day for decades.

Marxist-Leninism, which you're basically describing in reductive internet stupidity terms, is only an "alternative left" in relation to mainstream modern progressivism and social democracy.

alt-left is "we've been telling you that third-wayism is a loving scam and now there's egg on your face"

like this wasn't even lucy pulling the football, it was using a wall hack and still getting outplayed in counter strike

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lightning Knight posted:

Hm yes, something is only alternative when related to something else which is mainstream. Fascinating analysis.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Phone posted:

alt-left is "we've been telling you that third-wayism is a loving scam and now there's egg on your face"

like this wasn't even lucy pulling the football, it was using a wall hack and still getting outplayed in counter strike

Stultus Maximus posted:

Hm yes, something is only alternative when related to something else which is mainstream. Fascinating analysis.

What I'm arguing is that seeking to call anything "the alt-left" is a dumb equivocation for the sake of it. Whether you're talking about Marxist-Leninism or progresive social democracy, none of them are trying to repackage what they are to be more palatable to a younger audience and take over their party for nefarious ends. The alt-right is a made up polite term for white nationalism. It's respectability politics for the right.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
oh yeah, the alt-left is a made up term. no reason to like waste 500 words on it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phone posted:

oh yeah, the alt-left is a made up term. no reason to like waste 500 words on it.

All terms are made up

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lightning Knight posted:

What I'm arguing is that seeking to call anything "the alt-left" is a dumb equivocation for the sake of it. Whether you're talking about Marxist-Leninism or progresive social democracy, none of them are trying to repackage what they are to be more palatable to a younger audience and take over their party for nefarious ends. The alt-right is a made up polite term for white nationalism. It's respectability politics for the right.

Okay, gotcha.
Yes, coming up with "alt-left" to describe the left wing of the progressive component of liberalism (whew!) as a obvious comparison to the blend of nihilists, nazis, and misogynists that makes up the alt-right is dumb.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

All terms are made up

Language itself is a construct.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Guy Goodbody posted:

All terms are made up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp5QabWeUUw

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Alt-left is just a term to refer to people who listen to Chapo Traphouse, no one on the left will actually use it because it's just a blatant attempt to sugarcoat the alt-right by saying "hey lefties do it too"

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

HorseRenoir posted:

Alt-left is just a term to refer to people who listen to Chapo Traphouse, no one on the left will actually use it because it's just a blatant attempt to sugarcoat the alt-right by saying "hey lefties do it too"

It'll be in thinkpieces on Salon and Slate and used by a ton of lanyard-dicks here within a month.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Huzanko posted:

It'll be in thinkpieces on Salon and Slate and used by a ton of lanyard-dicks here within a month.

loving berniebros :bahgawd:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

HorseRenoir posted:

Are you trying to say that perhaps the truth is in the middle?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Stop trying to make "alt-left" happen

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

so i have this cool term to replace "alt-left" with

it's called "progressive"

--me, 2028 in MegaBunker 16 from the remains of Neo-Canada

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm going to say this, through this last year of election hell I've disagreed with some of your posts, but when you're on point, you're on point.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

What is this new "lanyard" thing? Anyone who's neoliberal must go to secret neoliberal conferences and compete for cooler lanyards? Idgi

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

happyhippy posted:

Yeah, only have one political party, ban the rest, and secretly kill everyone who dissents.
Its reeeeeeeaaaaaal easy to have 3000 representatives when they all have to follow the one rule or be dead.

This is highly fallacious reasoning and you don't actually elaborate how it would be unworkable without it being a single party state. What would change in their day to day? Do you know their procedures?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Gail Wynand posted:

What is this new "lanyard" thing? Anyone who's neoliberal must go to secret neoliberal conferences and compete for cooler lanyards? Idgi

It's a kind of shorthand for FYGM tech biz liberals who think everything in the country is fine.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

so i have this cool term to replace "alt-left" with

it's called "progressive"

--me, 2028 in MegaBunker 16 from the remains of Neo-Canada

But progressives don't all want Full Communism Now, so they're really neoliberals.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

KomradeX posted:

I'm going to say this, through this last year of election hell I've disagreed with some of your posts, but when you're on point, you're on point.

I regret to inform you that I'm actually the shittiest poo poo poster who ever poo poo posted. :v:

Also re: that Slate article about Sanders/Warren and white populism is worth reading even if you don't agree with it because it's worth understanding the concerns of people distrustful of populism and iirc it's written by a POC.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Gail Wynand posted:

it's you. you're the lanyard-dick.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

foobardog posted:

This is the point of D&D, isn't it? A circle jerk of impossibly minded political perverts making each other hard with their twice warmed over takes, seeking that second of feeling in their brain stem when they are technically correct; that moment where their eyes cloud over with dreams of "futa communism now" as they plop words across the screen.

:nyoron:

Trump, please make my username futa communism now!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
So from this thread, I've gathered that "alt-left" either means a group of people so tiny and meaningless that they aren't worth having a term for or, alternately, like the entire third or so of the Democratic party that's significantly left of center.

Seems like a useful term.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I tried it on my keyboard and it doesn't even do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

FactsAreUseless posted:

I tried it on my keyboard and it doesn't even do anything.

Seems like an appropriate label then

• Locked thread