Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm glad somebody got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm glad somebody got it.

Can't believe it took this long.

Kids these days, eh? :corsair:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't get it.

hate hoot
Nov 7, 2012
I remember the village revolution story from LF days. It was Fish Steer A Dhow (although he kept changing his name). He said he was born in Sudan but adopted as a child and raised by Americans, then returned home to meet his original family. Everyone believed it, including me at least for a while. There was a great line about how his sister wanted to bring her child to come live with him in the US, but he didn't think he could manage to have them, what with all his responsibilities as an SA mod.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I don't get it.

Same

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sympathy for the devil.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I don't get it.
It's a reference to an old Rolling Stones song.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it works, because the word "sympathy" is used in both statements

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Sympathy sounds a bit like symphony. Remember that song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5jvUXij7nU

Destruction also starts with the same letter as disabled.

So my joke is disabled people really hate when you put them in control.

This is a reference to a song.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Not to get all :goonsay: but pretty sure the lyric is "Hope you guessed my name"

Paladinus posted:

This was good though.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The Many from Urban Dead.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

They really loving hate it when you try to guess their name.

:haw:

Nice.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shark Sandwich posted:

Not to get all :goonsay: but pretty sure the lyric is "Hope you guessed my name"
Huh. I've thought it was "won't you guess my name" for years, but I'm not a big Rolling Stones guy.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Paladinus posted:

https://youtu.be/vj6Xn6WRiQQ

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

This reference is bad, and FactsAreUseless should feel bad.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Choco1980 posted:

This reference is bad, and FactsAreUseless should feel bad.

Yeah I really love that Rolling Stones song and yet I didn't catch the reference simply because the inherent joke FactsAreUseless made is that disabled people are the devil. :twisted:

(Otherwise the joke works; 'they hate it when you try to guess their nickname based upon their disability' is pretty drat terrible :cheers:)

Dinosaurmageddon has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Nov 28, 2016

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

hate hoot posted:

I remember the village revolution story from LF days. It was Fish Steer A Dhow (although he kept changing his name). He said he was born in Sudan but adopted as a child and raised by Americans, then returned home to meet his original family. Everyone believed it, including me at least for a while. There was a great line about how his sister wanted to bring her child to come live with him in the US, but he didn't think he could manage to have them, what with all his responsibilities as an SA mod.

I was under the impression that everyone understood that nothing fish steer a dhow said was ever true. I thought he was a 50 Foot Ant/Humpermonkey-type figure, but "entertaining" in an unfunny sort of way instead.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Yeah I really love that Rolling Stones song and yet I didn't catch the reference simply because the inherent joke FactsAreUseless made is that disabled people are the devil. :twisted:

(Otherwise the joke works; 'they hate it when you try to guess their nickname based upon their disability' is pretty drat terrible :cheers:)
It's actually just because the post had the phrase "sympathy for the disabled" which sounds a little like "sympathy for the devil." because of the d and l sounds.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Jose posted:

i clicked on this persons rap sheet earlier this week for reasons i can't remember and lol they got banned for not capitalising something

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=119904

:sigh:

I'm not gonna lie, I was a garbage poster/person but the funny thing about all the probations and poo poo for capitalization was that some mod gave me a giant 'shift' key avatar and goons got pissy at me because it was breaking the tables.

I understand having rules about punctuation, capitalization, and spelling, I guess, but it was really strictly enforced for some reason. a lot of my probations seemed silly in retrospect but I was also a piece of poo poo

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I was a member for years before I would post anywhere other than BYOB because it was pretty much impossible to get probated or banned there. I remember once early-on I tried venturing into GWS and got made fun of for like half a page in the general questions thread for not knowing that you shouldn't keep garlic in the fridge.

I think the whole forum was just stricter, meaner, and more elitist, and the culture has changed since then.

I believe that, in GBS especially, the feeling that every post was an opportunity to lose your account helped drive quality posting. Posters really did think about what they were bringing, and if you were going to risk toeing the rules line in order to make a joke, you had to consider whether that joke was worthy of the risk.

I think that's why I loved old strict mean GBS. Or maybe not that much has changed, and the change has come from my own slow shift in perspective.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's OK, buddy, you can keep garlic in the fridge. :cheers:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

steinrokkan posted:

It's OK, buddy, you can keep garlic in the fridge. :cheers:
Ban this sick filth.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
i don't get the point of the GunChicka gimmick account that was posted earlier. there's both actual women and actual disabled people on this site, so it's not like a disabled woman is some far-fetched, unbelievable personae that you'd need to be a master-puppetter to convince people of might actually insist. it's like going into a lunch thread and saying you had a 4 egg omelette when you had a salad and then thinking you're a master of disguise or whatever

imo, unless the guy behind the account was building up to trying to rip goons off with some kind of kickstarter about funding her robot legs, then the gunChicka gimmick is the tamest gimmick account ever.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Grandmother of Five posted:

i don't get the point of the GunChicka gimmick account that was posted earlier. there's both actual women and actual disabled people on this site, so it's not like a disabled woman is some far-fetched, unbelievable personae that you'd need to be a master-puppetter to convince people of might actually insist. it's like going into a lunch thread and saying you had a 4 egg omelette when you had a salad and then thinking you're a master of disguise or whatever

imo, unless the guy behind the account was building up to trying to rip goons off with some kind of kickstarter about funding her robot legs, then the gunChicka gimmick is the tamest gimmick account ever.

Most of the reason it sticks with me is how long it kept going, and watching all the goons falling over themselves over her.

It was tame, but the reactions were hilarious. :shrug:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

my favorite saga is that one time facts told a joke that I didn't get and then it was explained to me and then I sort of got it. It's my favorite because it didn't end in anyone getting killed or divorced or thrown in a Syrian torture prison

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Actually that joke was pretty tortured.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

theres a will theres moe posted:

... I tried venturing into GWS and got made fun of for like half a page in the general questions thread for not knowing that you shouldn't keep garlic in the fridge....

Oh lord, is it like bananas in the fridge?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Samovar posted:

Are you trying to irradiate your entire food supply?!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Samovar posted:

Nah, they just grow shoots and go bad faster than if kept unrefrigerated.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
One of my favorites had to be the guy who was positive the 49ers would defeat the Seahawks in the NFC championship game, so he toxxed that his next 500 posts would mention the Seahawks and how great they were if SF lost. When the Niners lost, dude actually kept it up until mods let him off the hook out of sheer admiration.

Call me a softie, I like the forum sagas where good or at worst harmless things happen(although some of the negative ones are pretty funny). Obviously they're a bit more rare. What are some other examples, have there been any like, crushes where the forums conspired to get the couple together (preferably ones that didn't attack each other with shovels)?

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 17:03 on Nov 28, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One of my favorites had to be the guy who was positive the 49ers would defeat the Seahawks in the NFC championship game, so he toxxed that his next 500 posts would mention the Seahawks and how great they were if they lost. When the Niners lost, dude actually kept it up until mods let him off the hook out of sheer admiration.

Call me a softie, I like the forum sagas where good or at worst harmless things happen(although some of the negative ones are pretty funny). Obviously they're a bit more rare.

He was close to like 350 posts too want he? It was fantastic.

There was also a mod challenge where one of the challenges was to go into Creative Convention and give feedback about a bunch of drawings by comparing them to Gundam and saying that they should have made things more "round."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What are some other examples, have there been any like, crushes where the forums conspired to get the couple together (preferably ones that didn't attack each other with shovels)?

There were a few anonymous confessions where people got together. One dude had his boss sexually harassing him and it worked out really cute and another guy was in love with his roommate's girlfriend.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Solice Kirsk posted:

He was close to like 350 posts too want he? It was fantastic.

There was also a mod challenge where one of the challenges was to go into Creative Convention and give feedback about a bunch of drawings by comparing them to Gundam and saying that they should have made things more "round."

Similarly I liked that thread in GBS where every participant was given a particular thread or forum where they had to post something confusion/obnoxious. It caused so much chaos until everyone caught on.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Call me a softie, I like the forum sagas where good or at worst harmless things happen(although some of the negative ones are pretty funny). Obviously they're a bit more rare. What are some other examples, have there been any like, crushes where the forums conspired to get the couple together (preferably ones that didn't attack each other with shovels)?
There's a dude in e/n who was together with his gf for 2 years and realized he doesn't love her and in fact he's thinking about other women all the time so he asked the thread for advice. Everbody told him to sever, he didn't listen. He then came back like 7 months later to the very same thread and said that he's now 3 days before the wedding and he really doesn't love his future wife and in fact he just cheated on her with his ex so he asked the thread for advice. Everybody told him to sever, he didn't listen. Presumably he's happily married now and maybe a kid is on the way? It's an e/n success story.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Palpek posted:

There's a dude in e/n who was together with his gf for 2 years and realized he doesn't love her and in fact he's thinking about other women all the time so he asked the thread for advice. Everbody told him to sever, he didn't listen. He then came back like 7 months later to the very same thread and said that he's now 3 days before the wedding and he really doesn't love his future wife and in fact he just cheated on her with his ex so he asked the thread for advice. Everybody told him to sever, he didn't listen. Presumably he's happily married now and maybe a kid is on the way? It's an e/n success story.

tbf this is like half of all marriages in the USA

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Palpek posted:

The thread link was posted a couple of pages ago.

I remember when people would overuse the "no1curr" meme and a mod would "flip a coin" on whether to punish said poster.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

One of my favorites had to be the guy who was positive the 49ers would defeat the Seahawks in the NFC championship game, so he toxxed that his next 500 posts would mention the Seahawks and how great they were if SF lost. When the Niners lost, dude actually kept it up until mods let him off the hook out of sheer admiration.

His username had was something about peanuts, right? I thought it ended up in a Comedy Goldmine article but if so I can't find it.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

may contain peanuts, and it was even more wonderful when he posted outside of TFF

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
One that was pretty small and innocuous was Al Borland was given some secret mod challenge where he had to go into 3 other subforums and bullshit on pre-assigned topics and try to make himself sound convincing. I want to say he had to talk in GWS and SAS, but the one that caught my eye was in A/T where he started a topic about owning his own laundromat. I had worked in one for 6 years pretty heavily, so it caught my eye and I started asking him questions and stuff, and he took it like a champ, bullshitting about front-loaders and perc and stuff for almost a week before he was allowed to confess in GBS. That was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Choco1980 posted:

One that was pretty small and innocuous was Al Borland was given some secret mod challenge where he had to go into 3 other subforums and bullshit on pre-assigned topics and try to make himself sound convincing. I want to say he had to talk in GWS and SAS, but the one that caught my eye was in A/T where he started a topic about owning his own laundromat. I had worked in one for 6 years pretty heavily, so it caught my eye and I started asking him questions and stuff, and he took it like a champ, bullshitting about front-loaders and perc and stuff for almost a week before he was allowed to confess in GBS. That was fun.

That is legitimately fun. Are mod challenges still a thing at all? I've seen some in E/N, I guess, where users had to prove they actually listened to good advice, but nothing actually funny.