Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Azami won't refuse, if only because he "really admires Saiba-senpai".

By which I mean: there'll be doujins before this is over.

e. Hell of a way to start a new page...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Odds Rindou gets revealed as Souma's cousin in the next 5 chapters?

I'm hoping 100% because this would be cute.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Honestly, I feel like we're forgetting that the math we're doing fails to include, y'know, three former Elite 10 members who would love to have the opportunity to take them back. Which means, in an ideal situation for the characters, you'd be looking at:

* Erina
* Isshiki
* Kuga
* The dude with the toque.
* Souma, through whatever poo poo Jouichiro has planned

Which would probably push Takumi and Megumi out of actually having a seat? Maybe not Takumi, but I think Megumi would be the first one out in terms of cooking skill. Unless Saeki wants to pull a surprise on us!

And then there's the wildcard which could always ever go either way:

* Rindou

It's not unreasonable to expect an overwhelming majority of main characters on the council, but I expect the number will be closer to four-a-side with two wildcards to allow for drama.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The characters seem to be acting like anyone who's been expelled has no right to challenge people for their seats.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Right, but I'm pretty sure I didn't list anyone expelled?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Clarste posted:

The characters seem to be acting like anyone who's been expelled has no right to challenge people for their seats.

The Shokugeki is a Tootsuki institution, so it could very well be the case. And even if it weren't, what would they wager?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Kyte posted:

The Shokugeki is a Tootsuki institution, so it could very well be the case. And even if it weren't, what would they wager?

They weren't expelled in a shokugeki, they were expelled via the test.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I mean, if they're already expelled, maybe the really can't challenge the E10 for their seats, since they aren't part of Tootsuki and its traditions anymore.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I'm not sure why they still think the elite 10 matters, the school has already stripped one of the elite 10 members of their seat without a shokugeki.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

THF13 posted:

I'm not sure why they still think the elite 10 matters, the school has already stripped one of the elite 10 members of their seat without a shokugeki.

Are you talking about Hayama?

He was still provisional and agreed to expulsion if he lost.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Satoshi, the guy who cooks in just an apron and lives in their dorm.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

THF13 posted:

The Elite 10 members who voted in Azami voted out the members who had a problem with it. Elite 10 seems to be able to do anything by majority rule.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

THF13 posted:

Satoshi, the guy who cooks in just an apron and lives in their dorm.

When Azami took over as headmaster, he got a one time only chance to set up an E10 how he wanted, with any remaining changes decided by Shokugeki afaik.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

http://mangastream.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/194/3853/1

Jouichirou in skinny jeans, hello

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Plot bombs! Plot bombs everywhere! Also, this is basically the large-scale setup for any Azami x Saiba doujinshi

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

This is going to be a long flashback arc, isn't it?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Clarste posted:

This is going to be a long flashback arc, isn't it?

Yes.

Yes it is.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Takumi and Megumi just got an absurd boost from their popularity.

I feel like some big things are about to come out of this train ride.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Marui confirmed as future last boss.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the 69th generation.....

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm excited to learn why azami's become such a cartoon character

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Venuz Patrol posted:

the 69th generation.....

ゴゴゴゴゴ Yes, the 69th generation.... ゴゴゴゴゴ

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Mikl posted:

there'll be doujins before this is over.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Patware posted:

i'm excited to learn why azami's become such a cartoon character

I'm guessing that Azami didn't actually invent his brand of Food Nazism, and was quite widespread through out Tootsuki at the time. Jouchirou hated this and quit out of disgust (also Souma's mom got kicked out via Shoukugeki probably). Azami went nuts over his precious senpai leaving and double downed on because he's nuts.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm guessing that Azami didn't actually invent his brand of Food Nazism, and was quite widespread through out Tootsuki at the time. Jouchirou hated this and quit out of disgust (also Souma's mom got kicked out via Shoukugeki probably). Azami went nuts over his precious senpai leaving and double downed on because he's nuts.

Unless grandpa Nakiri mentioned it before, I don't think that's the case. I think it might've stemmed from sympathy for those failing out due to competition and went to the extreme upon Saiba dropping out

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Unless grandpa Nakiri mentioned it before, I don't think that's the case. I think it might've stemmed from sympathy for those failing out due to competition and went to the extreme upon Saiba dropping out

My guess is Souma's mom was expelled and Jou was so pissed off about it he quit in protest.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
This is loving retarded and if this turns into a drawn-out flashback arc I'm going to travel to Japan to save Tosh from having to draw this crap further.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I really don't get what's supposed to be wrong with it.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
They had a chance to end this mess of an arc with a single final battle but now there's gonna be a billion chapters to explain that Food Hitler tripped over a beef bowl and swore eternal revenge or whatever. Who gives a crap.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

K. Flaps posted:

They had a chance to end this mess of an arc with a single final battle but now there's gonna be a billion chapters to explain that Food Hitler tripped over a beef bowl and swore eternal revenge or whatever. Who gives a crap.

A billion? Seems probably more like two or three. What manga do you think this is?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

K. Flaps posted:

What do you actually want out of this manga?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't get it. Joichirou's backstory has been a significant unexplained plot point for 150 chapters and you're now mad they're doing it? What? How is that a thing you don't care about unless you just straight up don't like Shokugeki no Soma?

Besides, I think the criticism of the Hokkaido Trials arc as being a huge unmitigated disaster is a pretty big exaggeration anyways. Everyone got their knickers in a twist over Hayama's heel turn, but for one it was telegraphed 100 chapters ago and second, they resolved it within ~10 chapters of it actually happening. I don't get it.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 1, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Given the pacing of the Hayama battle just now, I'm dreading that this flackback arc will take half a year or something. I'm slightly curious about Jouichiro (not that much, honestly, it never really felt to me like he was that mysterious), but the framing of it makes me think that this will be a long story.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Clarste posted:

Given the pacing of the Hayama battle just now, I'm dreading that this flackback arc will take half a year or something. I'm slightly curious about Jouichiro (not that much, honestly, it never really felt to me like he was that mysterious), but the framing of it makes me think that this will be a long story.

My guess is it'll be closer to 8 chapters or so, I get the feeling Tsukuda likes to write his stuff by volume.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
I'm gonna go against the grain and say that Souma's mom was never a student at Tootsuki. She just ran or worked for a simple restaurant, maybe owned by her parents, and introduced Jouichirou to the appeal of a good plate of gyoza. He started realizing how elitist Tootsuki was, and that led to his dropping out.

Clarste posted:

Didn't the author tweet out a few weeks back how he knew he'd messed up the Hayama match and was gonna work on that? I'm not too worried about this flashback just yet.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Clarste posted:

The entire battle with Hayama was like 7 chapters, 11 if you include all of the prep work with Kuga, trip to the mountains, and flashbacks. Y'all make it sound like they're stuck on Namek.

I also don't think its all that likely that Jouichirou is going to get into Soma's mother yet since there's been nothing whatsoever to even flag it as important.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 1, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Clarste posted:

Bro do you even read this manga? This cliffhanger "but wait you haven't tried my REAL DISH!!1!12" poo poo has been happening forever.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I for one am excited about the dark backstory to be revealed in the Adventures of Young Food Hitler and Hot Dad. Even when the writing slips, which is rare for an easily entertained lad like myself, the art is always astounding.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't particularly care why food hitler began his quest to destroy the restaurant industry and maybe starve all poor people to death. dude's dumb, his goals are dumb, his methods are dumb, so why wouldn't his motivations be equally dumb? but hey, the sooner this poo poo is over with the sooner a megumi-heavy arc begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I for one am excited about the dark backstory to be revealed in the Adventures of Young Food Hitler and Hot Dad. Even when the writing slips, which is rare for an easily entertained lad like myself, the art is always astounding.

inb4 Stupid sexy Food Hitler