Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

Also Castlevania Adventure II: Belmont's Revenge. It's awesome

Side note, do NOT touch the other GB Castlevanias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If you like nms its ok

Youre not ok, youve got terrible taste but its ok to like what you like

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does the OP of a thread need to be a 10,000 word encyclopedia entry like drat just post it lol

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

My gnome is much too small for WoW's version of Valhalla.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 27, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Buca di Bepis posted:

Does the OP of a thread need to be a 10,000 word encyclopedia entry like drat just post it lol

If it's not multiple posts why are you even posting it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

People got the idea in their heads that every OP needs to be multiple posts after someone created a thread for Deus Ex: Human Revolution where its OP was like 12 posts.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The old Steam thread that had more words in the OP than a Russian novel

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

I said come in! posted:

People got the idea in their heads that every OP needs to be multiple posts after someone created a thread for Deus Ex: Human Revolution where its OP was like 12 posts.

the longer the op the better the game will be

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I understand multipost ops for bethesda games. One for expansions. One for mods until the scene gets big enough for its own thread.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
OPs should just be a transcription of the instruction manual. If the game doesn't have one then its not a good enough game to warrant a thread on SA

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

[hand over mouth, throwing voice] the amiibo thread op is good, and the girl who made it rules

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't think this patch will do much for naysayers. However, it is a definite, unquestionably solid first step. Including both the planet base-building AND the space freighters in the first update, two things people complained about perhaps the most, was a very smart move. And the building method looks very good and intuitive, as well. Just point at a wall and turn it into whatever you need it to be on the fly? Perfect.
Potentially it may fix a few of my fundamental problems with some of the game's "four pillars", though that won't necessarily make it good. These are some guesses since I haven't got to gently caress around with it myself yet:

For exploration, now there's some sort of waypoints you can drop that are more permanent, though it's not stated how permanent and I imagine it probably only helps you while you're still in the system. It looks like you can also build a garden in the base, though I am guessing it will be generic plants instead of ones you discovered (which would be the start of a collection). You can supposedly hire aliens from space stations though so I guess you can collect them, though I would prefer to capture the crazy animals outside for a space zoo. That said, I don't see any promises that there's anything better to actually explore other than some terrain changes and other balance tweaks.

For trade, not only does the base let you add storage but you can get a honkin huge freighter-base to ferry all that poo poo around. You can supposedly warp back to your base from any space station so you should be able to run to your hoard if you find a terminal giving a great price on some pile of rare trash you stocked up. They sort of improved inventory stacking too so that should help, as well as unlocking the space station doors so you don't need AtlasPass 1 to get your suit upgrade at each. It's still probably going to be more effective to just collect a giant loving pile of expensive sentinel aggroing stuff off a planet surface and immediately sell it wherever it's closest though.

For survival, well there's a harsher mode but I am going to guess it just makes the bars go down more and gives you less loot. Still now that you can build remote saves that gives you something to put in the magical hole that you just dug to bring your suit bar back up. Also there's arrows by the bar now to show you which bar is moving which way and how fast. The gardens and auto miners could potentially decrease the tedium of collecting fuel for each of the bars, but I would much rather have survival mechanics that are more participatory than "fill the bar". That's going to need some work still.

For combat, I see a bunch of minor notes regarding space weapons added, enemy AI changes, the infamous "ships flying in formation" and a tiny almost invisible cockpit indicator for pirate danger. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the gameplay here will be constantly having to go defend your obnoxiously expensive freighter from easily defeated enemies, which would get annoying fast. Hopefully they would put in some defenses but it would seem typical to me if they decided to make you babysit the thing. Though if you can indeed summon it to the system at will, there's probably no need to have it parked where you're working unless you're filling it up with loot or offloading it.

These were all really fundamental low level problems and I am not sure fixing them will make it fun even despite the obvious huge effort involved. Would have also been smart to put out some of the smaller fixes here earlier before their goodwill was completely destroyed.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Real hurthling! posted:

If you like nms its ok

Youre not ok, youve got terrible taste but its ok to like what you like

No Man's Sky was a bad game and Sean Murray is definitely a pathological liar at best and an outright conman at worst, but the No Man's Sky thread in the weeks leading up to release when everyone had to try and rationalize how the people who had actually played the game were saying it was bad was some of the most entertaining reading I've ever gotten from this forum. . Off the top of my head:

-The guy who got a copy weeks ahead of time had actually gotten a copy of the E3 demo version that was unfinished

-When other people got early copies and reported similar results, it was because the online mode had been intentionally neutered to punish people who got the game before release date illicitly.

-When journalists who got legit copies directly from the developer were also reporting the same thing, they were obviously lying and making it all up in the name of getting attention.

-When the journalists started streaming gameplay to show that everything they were saying was true, obviously the fact that they were so lacking integrity that they would show footage of the game before release meant that they couldn't be trusted.

-When the release date came and the day-one patch didn't magically make the game fun and interesting they doubled down by swearing that the developer had totally never promised that the game would have online play or base building or huge creatures or faction warfare.

-When people pointed out that all of that was in the video that they were using to promote the game on the Steam, that boxes had shipped with a sticker hastily hiding the part saying it had online play, and CrowCat did his thing documenting all the times Sean Murray had lied to everyone, they again doubled down by saying that they were so cool and rich and successful that blowing $60 on a mediocre game nothing to them, jealous much poors? :smuggo:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yeah, not gonna lie, it would have been much smarter to buy it a couple days ago for $20 than have it sitting on my shelf all this time as a curiosity

Unfortunately the lower price means even if they get a resurgence in interest I bet they are going to end up doing something to try and get more money out of people, including fuckos like me who kept it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it feels like people got bored of making fun of webcomics so they just moved over to indie developers. i may be reading the tea leaves incorrectly however

in fact why am i reading tea leaves. what the gently caress

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
This is why I drink coffee

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Quest For Glory II posted:

it feels like people got bored of making fun of webcomics so they just moved over to indie developers. i may be reading the tea leaves incorrectly however

in fact why am i reading tea leaves. what the gently caress

Did you see that, Zach?! Indie... Devs... in the coffee. I knew I could count on it. Never fails.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

*Fat man walks in with suspicious game box in hand* hello my name is Indiana Game'o'ber

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've already played through a bunch of the games already suggested but I'll take a look at some of the ones I never heard of before. I agree that Donkey Kong '94 is really loving good. Everyone play that game please. Preferably on a Super Game Boy. One of my friends had it so I played the living poo poo out of it growing up and I was kind of disappointed that the Mario vs. DK games didn't fully capture the game's feel, though I can't quite pinpoint why.

I just finished ActRaiser and goddamn the people at Quintet were really obsessed with religion/God and rebuilding the world after some unknown apocalypse weren't they? It's kind of interesting that they forked the ideas of ActRaiser into two paths: The arcade-style action/platforming (ActRaiser II) and the story-driven world-rebuilding RPGs (Soul Blazer and its "sequels"). They took the simulation aspects out of those games though. It's kind of odd that there hasn't been an indie spiritual sequel to the first ActRaiser at all.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dragon Quest Builders is the spiritual sequel to Actraiser

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've already played through a bunch of the games already suggested but I'll take a look at some of the ones I never heard of before. I agree that Donkey Kong '94 is really loving good. Everyone play that game please. Preferably on a Super Game Boy. One of my friends had it so I played the living poo poo out of it growing up and I was kind of disappointed that the Mario vs. DK games didn't fully capture the game's feel, though I can't quite pinpoint why.

I just finished ActRaiser and goddamn the people at Quintet were really obsessed with religion/God and rebuilding the world after some unknown apocalypse weren't they? It's kind of interesting that they forked the ideas of ActRaiser into two paths: The arcade-style action/platforming (ActRaiser II) and the story-driven world-rebuilding RPGs (Soul Blazer and its "sequels"). They took the simulation aspects out of those games though. It's kind of odd that there hasn't been an indie spiritual sequel to the first ActRaiser at all.

Dark Cloud is a bit of a Actraiser spiritual successor.

So is Dragon Quest Builders, oddly.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Maluco Marinero posted:

When I was 13 or so I rented Axelay and had a great time. I wasn't that great at shooters being 13 but I managed to get to the final boss. Axelay is a game where your ship colliding with things does damage. So it turns out my last move with my last life was to accidentally run into the final boss, which killed it, and also gave me enough points to earn an extra life, meaning I just won the game somehow.

Well that's my Axelay story...

That is a cool story. I hate when I get robbed of a victory by some cheap death after delivering the final hit to a boss in a game. It's always lovely when the reverse happens.

Mak0rz posted:

At least there are other games that take the whole "mash two okay-ish implementations of game styles together and have them affect each other and be way radder than they would be apart." I don't know why I can't think of them off the top of my head, though.

I think No More Heroes is kind of in that spirit. Sure, driving around town and doing odd jobs wasn't really special in itself, and the actual fighting wasn't that complicated, but No More Heroes 2 comes along and pulls a less extreme ActRaiser 2 by largely cutting the city stuff out and focusing on the fighting, and it felt like something was missing. Somehow the complementary game styles added up to an experience that was much greater than either individually.

Oh, it also didn't help that they cut out the clothing descriptions.

Phantasium posted:

Side note, do NOT touch the other GB Castlevanias.

I have beaten The Adventure but have yet to give Revenge a proper go. The Adventure is objectively poor but I still managed to have fun with it and beat it. The music helped, and as maddening as the spike level is it's a pretty crazy idea.

Of note: The version included in Konami GB Collection Vol. 1 (Europe/JPN) remedies the slowdown/speeds up the game a bit. It's not a perfect fix but it does somewhat alleviate the painfully slow walking speed.

EDIT: Oh duh, yeah. Dark Cloud.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

In Training posted:

I beat Mega Man 1 this morning and started 2. I went Metal Man then Wood Man on a guess and it worked. The music and level design is already noticeably better

I can't wait until you get to 3. It's my favorite.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lizard Wizard posted:

I like 4. Its much worse than 2 or 3 but it has my favorite music.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lizard Wizard posted:

:same: It's the one I grew up on and it is thus dear to my heart. In general 2, 3, and 4 are a power trio of Excellent NES Games and the best the series gets until 9 and 10.

When I did my Mega Man series run a few years back Mega Mans 3 and 7 were by far the most difficult. 3 because of the "Act 2" stages with the MM2 boss clones and 7 because Wily UFO is loving insanely bullshit hard, especially when you consider how much of a breeze the rest of the game is.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Real hurthling! posted:

Eh 4 isn't that bad.

That goes to 6. :v:

Sides 4 gave us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n5dSYCeoHI

It aint' no MM2 Wily Stage, but it's still drat catchy.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

3 is good but also heinously difficult and i hate doc robot

someone told me people don't like 5 and i was surprised that people had strong opinions like that because they all seem pretty good to me, as someone who played 1 through 6 for the first time in the last week

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 27, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

WARNING: Hot Take below!

That Mega Man 2 Wily Stage music is extremely overrated.

lets hang out posted:

3 is good but also heinously difficult and i hate doc robot

someone told me people don't like 5 and i was surprised that people had strong opinions like that because they all seem pretty good to me, as someone who played 1 through 6 for the first time in the last week

Yeah, I thought the same. 5 and 6 aren't as good as 2-4 imo but they aren't bad enough for it to actually matter. Really if you enjoy any of them you'll enjoy all of them because they're fairly solid.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Games posters have weird ideas about OPs in general. Back when I was Games mod, people would PM me asking me to critique and approve their OP.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mak0rz posted:

gently caress you pal

3 is the best NES Mega Man, tho, it feels like the one where they finally refined the design of the original game to an art without layering too much nonsense on top, and it's satisfyingly difficult without feeling cheap

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

In Training posted:

I beat Mega Man 1 this morning and started 2. I went Metal Man then Wood Man on a guess and it worked. The music and level design is already noticeably better
Have you never played a Megaman game, or only a few sporadically? If so and you're working your way through the series, I can't wait until you hit X1. :allears:

X1 is essentially a perfect video game.

Real hurthling! posted:

you know it. Cossack Citadel 4 lyfe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yv22-yc4MA&hd=1

(still not as good as MM2 Wily 1 though)

Mak0rz posted:

next you'll be saying hitler did nothing wrong

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Discount Viscount posted:

I think No More Heroes is kind of in that spirit. Sure, driving around town and doing odd jobs wasn't really special in itself, and the actual fighting wasn't that complicated, but No More Heroes 2 comes along and pulls a less extreme ActRaiser 2 by largely cutting the city stuff out and focusing on the fighting, and it felt like something was missing. Somehow the complementary game styles added up to an experience that was much greater than either individually.

Oh, it also didn't help that they cut out the clothing descriptons.
Mowing lawns to afford murder gear and anime t-shirts was great.

In general i am a big fan of minigames though, so im probably biased. I think it really added to Travis' trashy weabo aesthetic though. Doing odd jobs just to get a new luchadore tape. It also helped that the game had great music with some of my favourite song titles.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I bought another copy of NMH because people been talking about it a lot lately and the sequel is like $70 on amazon, what the heck?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

NMH2 really nails the Phantom Pain style ending, and I honestly can't tell if it's intentional or not

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
NMH2 had better bosses on the whole but I really don't like the final battle

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Looper posted:

NMH2 had better bosses on the whole but I really don't like the final battle

It's the exact kind of garbage I'd call genius if Suda designed it, but I don't think he actually had much of a hand in 2

Maybe somebody at Grasshopper really "gets" his style but it's indistinguishable from bad design

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

tap my mountain posted:

NMH2 really nails the Phantom Pain style ending, and I honestly can't tell if it's intentional or not

What does this mean?

also I'm just gonna say the same thing I say every time no more heroes is ever mentioned around me.

Where's the no more heroes versus fighting game!!!!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

FactsAreUseless posted:

Games posters have weird ideas about OPs in general. Back when I was Games mod, people would PM me asking me to critique and approve their OP.

well were they good or not

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've done a few creative writing workshops, send me your OPs for some free critiques

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Games thunderdome prompt to write the next no man's sky thread op

• Locked thread