Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Dongicus posted:

Didn't he have a whole bunch of twitter meltdowns?

Everyone's been having a whole bunch of twitter meltdowns. It's a trying time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Everyone's been having a whole bunch of twitter meltdowns. It's a trying time

People should probably just not use Twitter. It either gets them into fights/trouble or it shows their political leanings which in our idiotic modern wingnut Idealogical purity world leads to us hating them for poo poo that we probably shouldn't. :smith:

So yeah. Don't use or read Twitter, especially if you are an Internet Entertainer. It leads to bad bad things.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Errant Signal reviews Mafia 3 in two parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muYtE3bz7o0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHBzOM5iSZ0

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I just actually saw somebody reference the I Was Frozen Today gag in the wild, on a site not affiliated with CA, in TYOOL Two Thousand Sixteen.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Jsor posted:

I just actually saw somebody reference the I Was Frozen Today gag in the wild, on a site not affiliated with CA, in TYOOL Two Thousand Sixteen.

So now we can officially confirm that humanity is beyond salvation! :thumbsup:

Anyway, I've been watching SomeCallMeJohnny for the last couple of months. He's covered a lot of the mascot platformers (Mario, Sonic, Mega Man), and they're all really good videos. He's honestly one of the most straight-forward reviewers I've seen. I think some of the reviews suffer a bit when he has a guest, but that mostly applies to the older videos.

Also, Ross Scott released two more Game Dungeon episodes last month: Contraption Zack, and Realms of the Haunting, yet another game that I really adore. I haven't watched either yet, though.

Also, this probably skirts the line in terms of internet critics, but Digital Foundry has been doing a series called DFRetro, where they cover the backgrounds of old games and their various ports.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jsor posted:

I've made a post in the past but people paying lip service to other online personalities makes me roll my eyes so hard. Even big channels do it, Your Movie Sucks has a clip of Doug screaming in his Unfriended reviews for example. Mr. Enter seems to love referencing Doug, and there was some no name channels who all word for word quoted RebelTaxi's "flash is a tool" sentence in his Johnny Test video.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Jsor posted:

Maybe they were like me and obsessively watched their VHS copies of the TMNT movies when they were kids.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Alacron posted:

Maybe they were like me and obsessively watched their VHS copies of the TMNT movies when they were kids.

"I was frozen today" is from Suburban Commando.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Jsor posted:

WHM just did a live podcast of Suburban Commando, so that could have something to do with it?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Bad Wolf posted:

"I was frozen today" is from Suburban Commando.

I know, there was a preview for it on that tape that I watched god knows how many times and now the line is seared into my brain.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbcL6aT1_0U

Mr Enter has a new avatar. It actually suits him quite well. He's going for the whole "mysterious" figure, but he looks like a deranged conspiracy theorist, which works a lot better.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013
Newest One Hit Wonderland got taken down real real fast from Youtube. "Flood" by Jars of Clay.

https://vimeo.com/192747133

First OHW topic that I genuinely have no memory of.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Todd is trying to re-upload it to YouTube right now.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Deport The Irish posted:

Newest One Hit Wonderland got taken down real real fast from Youtube. "Flood" by Jars of Clay.

It's so weird to me that so many people don't remember this one, because it was one of the rock songs I really loved at the time, and it seems like it had good rotation on the radio. Possibly my local stations just had an unusual setlist. (Or else it just didn't connect with other people as well as it did with me.)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Sage's review of Cyber City Oedo 808 is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGPpXwPJ0dQ

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Deport The Irish posted:

A much better episode than his last couple, hooray :toot:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i hope that rev enjoys the episode.

also new baywatching where another of Mitch's one night stands either dies/gently caress off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjrSs0MXokQ&t=0s

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Of course it's a reverend who requested that one. I'm a Mennonite, but every minister I've met under the age of 60 must be legally required to own at least one Jars of Clay CD.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

DStecks posted:

Of course it's a reverend who requested that one. I'm a Mennonite, but every minister I've met under the age of 60 must be legally required to own at least one Jars of Clay CD.

Unrelated, but tell me about being a mennonite. My understanding is they're like the amish but more open to technology but idk if that's a good description of them or not

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Unrelated, but tell me about being a mennonite. My understanding is they're like the amish but more open to technology but idk if that's a good description of them or not

I did a couple Ask/Tell threads a few years ago about it. They're probably long since archived though.

There are mennonites who are not meaningfully distinct from the amish, but there are also mennonite groups who are nearly mainstream in society. I say "nearly" because while we don't dress different and have all the same technology, our tradition of nonviolence, and until my grandparents' generation, of speaking German at home, have made us still a distinct subculture within the North American culture.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hbomberguy posted a new thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xRDiUD1a8c

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Puppy Time posted:

It's so weird to me that so many people don't remember this one, because it was one of the rock songs I really loved at the time, and it seems like it had good rotation on the radio. Possibly my local stations just had an unusual setlist. (Or else it just didn't connect with other people as well as it did with me.)

I mainly remember it because back in the golden years of file sharing weird evangelical software pirates used to upload Jars of Clay songs tagged with every numetal band ever after the name of the song.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I mainly remember it because back in the golden years of file sharing weird evangelical software pirates used to upload Jars of Clay songs tagged with every numetal band ever after the name of the song.

The power of deception compels you!!

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

The influence comics like Moore's most famous stuff are a big part of what DC Rebirth is supposed to be a reaction to, even making one of the Watchmen an antagonist to reflect that. The reality of the situation is that this is being done by some of the same people who not only are guilty of this but have already attempted to react to this influence before. However the books that have come out have largely been pretty good, including a Rucka-run Wonder Woman that has half been about reconciling Wonder Woman between her old origins and the one given by Azzerello.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I never actually watched the Killing Joke movie in full but the desk and the scene with Two-Face are nice microcosms of how shockingly bland and generic the adaptation is.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Not sure if this is right thread for this question, but it's kinda related to internet content creators. Some of them offer videos exclusive to Patreon backers. What format are those in? Does Patreon have its own streaming player or something?

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Forgall posted:

Not sure if this is right thread for this question, but it's kinda related to internet content creators. Some of them offer videos exclusive to Patreon backers. What format are those in? Does Patreon have its own streaming player or something?

You can either put them as private videos on Youtube, so that people can only watch them if they have the direct link (which you put on your Patreon) or you can put videos directly on patreon - and it is its own streaming player, but Patreon doesn't really like large file sizes and only likes specific file formats, so I've never bothered.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Hbomb's video isn't making new arguments about the comic industry. But when ever this topic comes up, I wanna bring up that this applies to Superhero comics. I feel like people forget theres a whole world out there beyond Marvel and DC.

Ironically enough Image comics has been putting out a bunch of really cool and different stuff. Saga, The Wicked and the Devine, Sex Criminals, Sunstone, The Rat Queens, Bitch Planet. Plus a bunch of stuff I bought and haven't read or were just 6 issue mini series. As with any medium, DIG MOTHERFUCKER! Theres gold out there to find.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Valiant is also doing good from what I've heard

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Valiant is also doing good from what I've heard

I subscribe to Comic Bento so I actually have a bunch of Valiant stuff. Just haven't gotten around to reading any of it.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I like how Prophet nowadays is a batshit crazy sci-fi thing that owns instead of Liefeld poo poo.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

SunAndSpring posted:

I like how Prophet nowadays is a batshit crazy sci-fi thing that owns instead of Liefeld poo poo.

I think of all the Liefeld creations that have remained significant, only Cable is basically unchanged.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Hbomb's video isn't making new arguments about the comic industry. But when ever this topic comes up, I wanna bring up that this applies to Superhero comics. I feel like people forget theres a whole world out there beyond Marvel and DC.

Ironically enough Image comics has been putting out a bunch of really cool and different stuff. Saga, The Wicked and the Devine, Sex Criminals, Sunstone, The Rat Queens, Bitch Planet. Plus a bunch of stuff I bought and haven't read or were just 6 issue mini series. As with any medium, DIG MOTHERFUCKER! Theres gold out there to find.

Image's Island anthology comics are also some really great stuff too. Especially in experimental storytelling. I've seen it compared (quite favorably) to Heavy Metal in some place, so make of that what you will.

I know I sure did a doubletake when he namedropped Image in the video. I was like, "wait... Image makes good stuff though."

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Roth posted:

I think of all the Liefeld creations that have remained significant, only Cable is basically unchanged.
I love how any time a Liefeld creation gets immediately better once Liefeld is taken out of the picture.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That video of Liefeld drawing for Stan Lee is really telling. Guy is a terrible artist and storyteller, and he's responsible for a lot of the dreck that oozed out in the 90s, but at the same time, I can't stay made at him when he's just such an earnest guy whose enthusiasm for his job vastly outstrips his talent. I'm not like Linkara where I will never forgive a person for their transgressions against comics. I'm sure if I met Liefeld I'd have a good time, even if his portfolio is full of backwards nonsense.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This just in: Jack from RLM does not know the word tryst, and spent at least a half hour on a The 7th Guest puzzle because he couldn't figure it out.

:allears:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I think it is perfectly acceptable to hold attempting to con a grieving widow for the rights to her husband's work though.

Also maybe for making a comic so bad it killed Mark Gruenwald.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

That video of Liefeld drawing for Stan Lee is really telling. Guy is a terrible artist and storyteller, and he's responsible for a lot of the dreck that oozed out in the 90s, but at the same time, I can't stay made at him when he's just such an earnest guy whose enthusiasm for his job vastly outstrips his talent. I'm not like Linkara where I will never forgive a person for their transgressions against comics. I'm sure if I met Liefeld I'd have a good time, even if his portfolio is full of backwards nonsense.

By most accounts, Liefeld is super nice and great to work with, and IIRC churns out work super quickly, which is a combo that more than makes up for his terrible artwork. Basically most companies hire on a basis of "Cool to be around, Works quickly, Makes quality art- choose two." EDIT: Welp, I was right about part of it! :v:

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 28, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I think it is perfectly acceptable to hold attempting to con a grieving widow for the rights to her husband's work though.

Also maybe for making a comic so bad it killed Mark Gruenwald.

Well, I didn't know that. But I'm also not an obsessive comic follower so I doubt that is really common knowledge. My understanding of Liefeld is that he has an iconic, terrible art style, and he made Deadpool to ripoff Deathstroke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

By most accounts, Liefeld is super nice and great to work with, and IIRC churns out work super quickly, which is a combo that more than makes up for his terrible artwork. Basically most companies hire on a basis of "Cool to be around, Works quickly, Makes quality art- choose two."

He churned out work quickly until he co-founded Image, then he would miss deadlines by months.

• Locked thread