Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Fame Douglas posted:

Requiring some form of ID doesn't seem like the most onerous of requirements.
It doesn't sound like an onerous requirement to you, because you probably have a car, are not living below the poverty line and don't live an hour away from the nearest DMV office which is open once a week on Tuesdays from 8-10am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

cheese posted:

You must be new here. It doesn't sound like an onerous requirement to you, because you probably have a car, are not living below the poverty line and don't like an hour away from the nearest DMV office which is open once a week on Tuesdays from 8-10am.

Id love for you to prove this narrative.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I am struck with a terrible vision...

President Trump addresses the nation ahead of signing his flagship law, the "Keep Democracy Safe Act of 2017":

"Many people have said that fraud is rampant in our elections. Many illegal immigrants and paid, professional vote riggers commit voter fraud at levels never before seen. This is why I am signing this fabulous law, which will keep our elections safe and beautiful,"

The bill mandates, federally:
- 3 forms of ID to vote: social security card, photo id with current address, and recent tax return or bill
- reduction in polling places to one per county
- a "good voter credit", where if you have voted in at least 3 previous elections, you don't need to present ID and can vote by mail
- the formation of the Bureau of Election Security, which hires local groups to patrol the polling site and look for suspicious activity.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Bullfrog posted:

President Trump addresses the nation ahead of signing his flagship law, the "Keep Democracy Safe Act of 2017":

"Many people have said that fraud is rampant in our elections. Many illegal immigrants and paid, professional vote riggers commit voter fraud at levels never before seen. This is why I am signing this fabulous law, which will keep our elections safe and beautiful,"

- 3 forms of ID to vote: social security card, photo id with current address, and recent tax return or bill
- a "good voter credit", where if you have voted in at least 3 previous elections, you don't need to present ID and can vote by mail
- the formation of the Bureau of Election Security, which hires local groups to patrol the polling site and look for suspicious activity.

Cool story bro

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

spunkshui posted:

Id love for you to prove this narrative.

And I'd love for you to open a new tab because I'm not obligated to loving do your research for you.
That being said, I'm feeling nice today.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

spunkshui posted:

Why do democrats have a hard time getting proper identification?

Vs republicans

1) What problem do voter IDs solve?

2) It's expensive to obtain all the paperwork to get an ID, and many americans live in third-world poverty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtevgEN8BKw

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Bullfrog posted:

:rolleyes:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Republicans push a Federal Voter Protection act that's a required ID to vote.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

spunkshui posted:

Cool story bro

you are in violation of the "keep the forums safe act of 2017". Please provide 3 forms of forums poster id, drive 40 miles to the nearest library, stand in line for 3 hours waiting for one of the public computers, and click this link http://forums.somethingawful.com/account.php?action=logout

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Well, well, well. Look where Trump's "three million illegal votes" claim came from.....

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Voting ID laws keep getting struck down by courts and were getting struck down when Scalia was still on the bench but I guess the Republicans have entered a cheat code and now all laws and rules are forfeit forever.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

HOOKER! WHEN THEY'RE DEAD, THEY'RE JUST HOOKERS, CYRIL!

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/802976866604879873

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Voting ID laws keep getting struck down by courts and were getting struck down when Scalia was still on the bench but I guess the Republicans have entered a cheat code and now all laws and rules are forfeit forever.

Anything that happened while Obama was president was bad and doesn't count.

That's why we're resubmitting the ACA with only a few minor (but lovely)under the MAKE AMERICA HEALTHY AGAIN act.

And voter id was struck down under Obama so it doesn't count

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is also true for truth.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

That post may be stupid, but you know that the 2016 Republican platform literally supports voter ID laws, right?

quote:

For this reason, we support legislation to require proof of citizenship when registering to vote and secure photo ID when voting.
https://prod-static-ngop-pbl.s3.amazonaws.com/media/documents/DRAFT_12_FINAL%5b1%5d-ben_1468872234.pdf?mid=76323&rid=16150106 (page 16)

Expect court appointments to be made with this at least somewhat in mind. Doesn't mean that they're going to get away with it, but Republicans are absolutely going to work their asses off to continue to stack the deck in their favor.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I know that it's part of their platform, that doesn't mean Trump can literally just write up a new law and make it happen.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Bullfrog posted:

you are in violation of the "keep the forums safe act of 2017". Please provide 3 forms of forums poster id, drive 40 miles to the nearest library, stand in line for 3 hours waiting for one of the public computers, and click this link http://forums.somethingawful.com/account.php?action=logout

Im sorry, the super delegates in your thread voted 5 - 0 against you.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know that it's part of their platform, that doesn't mean Trump can literally just write up a new law and make it happen.

He can though?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The House and Senate have passed a bill that will...
In a 5-4 decision the Supreme Court has upheld....

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
More like 9- 4

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Did the basic functions of government change overnight? I mean if that's the case why not just assume that the literal Enabling/Fire Decree/Kill All Minorities Were They Stand Act is going to happen? Hell the Republicans don't even have to wait for Trump to take office, they'll do all this tomorrow!

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 27, 2016

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

So how many steps does it take to go from "Everyone voted illegally against me" to "Every vote against me is illegal" ?

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Still not really sure I understand the electoral college system, maybe someone can help me out:

I hear that the Hillary camp is getting behind recounting the vote in like Wisconsin and some other place. Like, what is that supposed to do? Are the members of the electoral college in Wisconsin compelled to vote the same way as the majority of the actual votes in Wisconsin, or can you have a recount of the vote that changes the majority vote and the electoral voters can still just vote whatever?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Did the basic functions of government change overnight?

How do you think the government works if in your mind senators can't introduce and vote on bills, the president signs those bills into law, and the courts see if those laws match their (by end lf 2017 majority Republican) interpretation of the Constitution?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
we should probably outlaw voting if it's this big of a problem.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Until RBG dies on the bench I'm not going to worry about the Supreme Court since it'll literally be no different than it was for years with Scalia.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Until RBG dies on the bench I'm not going to worry about the Supreme Court since it'll literally be no different than it was for years with Scalia on the bench.

I need you to sit down in this chair. I've made tea and biscuits now let me explain how we are in The Purge timeline.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Feral Integral posted:

Still not really sure I understand the electoral college system, maybe someone can help me out:

I hear that the Hillary camp is getting behind recounting the vote in like Wisconsin and some other place. Like, what is that supposed to do? Are the members of the electoral college in Wisconsin compelled to vote the same way as the majority of the actual votes in Wisconsin, or can you have a recount of the vote that changes the majority vote and the electoral voters can still just vote whatever?

Only thing it does is make democrats look like huge hypocrites.

Like most of the things they do.

"Every vote matters! We want super delegates in our primary!"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Did the basic functions of government change overnight?

Voter ID laws have been upheld by federal judges in the past. Several times this year, in fact. I have no idea why you think it's so far outside the realm of possibility that Republicans will continue to pass these laws (at least at a state level) and that they will continue to be upheld. Just because voter ID laws have been struck down in the past doesn't mean that this is somehow a fight that's already been won.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Until RBG dies on the bench I'm not going to worry about the Supreme Court since it'll literally be no different than it was for years with Scalia.

The Supreme Court gutted the VRA in 2013 in a 5-4 decision.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Paradoxish posted:

The Supreme Court gutted the VRA in 2013 in a 5-4 decision.

I wonder if Kennedy and Roberts would have voted differently if they could have seen three and a half years into the future.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I'm not saying that we don't have to worry about it I'm just saying that the sky isn't going to literally fall overnight as some posters in this thread seem to think.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope Trump somehow does some good through sheer incompetence.

just as he fell rear end-backwards into becoming president of the united states, turning one of the most powerful politicians in the world into a shamed eternal symbol of hubris simply by being in the right place at the right time, he's exceedingly likely to be remembered as one of its greatest leaders solely by accident, overseeing a new american golden age brought upon by sudden russian fragmentation and the explosion of the chinese economy, things he had nothing to do with but will be accredited for anyway

because donald trump is basically the luckiest motherfucker who ever lived

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Is there actually a good list of famously thin skinned Presidents other than John Adams and Thomas Jefferson?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Is there actually a good list of famously thin skinned Presidents other than John Adams and Thomas Jefferson?

nixon

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

NewForumSoftware posted:

Same, at this point the question is what happens when we actually enter a time of crisis where we need the President to take a more active role. The way Bush and Paulson approached the financial crisis doesn't bode well for the future if there's some sort of economic shock. I don't see Trump and whoever he appoints doing any better.

Imagine a world where Trump tweets everything's fine and all of media falls in line to spread his word no matter how worthless the dollar becomes as he continues to do nothing but say "everything's fine".

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It's absolutely hilarious how Jill loving Stein has aggravated the President-elect into openly delegitimizing his own victory.

We're still over a month away from the inauguration and this is what we're already seeing. As the popular vote gap grows larger and more oddities are found in the audit the talk about Trump's illegitimacy is only going to grow louder.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's absolutely hilarious how Jill loving Stein has aggravated the President-elect into openly delegitimizing his own victory.

We're still over a month away from the inauguration and this is what we're already seeing. As the popular vote gap grows larger and more oddities are found in the audit the talk about Trump's illegitimacy is only going to grow louder.

It takes a clown on trump's level to truly unnerve him and hilariously enough, the left's champion of stupidity is Jill loving Stein.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Crabtree posted:

Imagine a world where Trump tweets everything's fine and all of media falls in line to spread his word no matter how worthless the dollar becomes as he continues to do nothing but say "everything's fine".

Honestly this is the world I've been expecting for a while now, Federal govt fades into obscurity leaving states to handle Healthcare, civil rights, labor laws, etc as they see fit. Good luck southerners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Main Paineframe posted:

How was anyone supposed to know before the elections that all the polls were wrong? Looking back on it with the knowledge of the actual result and the benefit of hindsight, it's clear that the polls were wrong. But before the election, the polls were generally believed to be accurate and there's going to be a lot of study into what went wrong with them. This also has deep implications for the DNC, whose post-Dean strategy was to make more efficient use of their resources by identifying close races, key races, and races they had locked down, and then using that knowledge to hyper-focus and concentrate their efforts where they'll be most effective in winning races.
Reminder that this is the strategy which helped them get their asses handed to them in 2010 and 2014 (and 2016), and made 2012 a disappointing year overall as well. If this election prompts the DNC to start doing the things again that ten years ago delivered them the House and Senate and the majority of statehouses and governorships, then we can take that as a peanut in what is otherwise the heaping pile of poo poo that is the year 2016.

• Locked thread