Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Elephant Ambush posted:

Ok here's my setup for Ahriman. Tell me what I'm doing wrong.

What are your SBs and RW? Also are those the Onion Knights Gauntlets? But you're not using him? Two healers probably isn't going to fly either. Any wind abilities you could be using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

skip selphie/esuna and just blind it. the odds of it both hitting the attack and proccing petrify is negligible after that

you don't have anyone to poison it either. that's a lot of damage to leave on the table. you've got Cid right there, man.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

What's your RW? You could probably use some Breakdowns.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Busted on getting a BSB from Onion 2. At least I got Onion Knight's Staff. :toot:

Bonus battles were fine. The gauntlet wasn't bad, especially if you are honed properly.

This is the first Mote dungeon I'm having really trouble with a native team. It might just be a level issue, so I'll check back in on it shortly.

Also, all Onion motes acquired with no dedicated farming. :toot:

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
Ahriman down, one medal lost on damage taken, first try.

Turns out he doesn't like you to Wrath an MBlink repeatedly or to use Eternal Wind RW's remaining Enwind to plaster his big bulb face across the arena with Swordshower. Who knew?

By the way, if you're not taking Eternal Wind RW to this fight, please, take it. The Stun is a fantastic way to slow this jerk the hell down on top of the awesome damage.

(Edit: Unless you're CMing. I'd hate to do this fight without Wall.)

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 27, 2016

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

SageAcrin posted:

Ahriman down, one medal lost on damage taken, first try.

Turns out he doesn't like you to Wrath an MBlink repeatedly or to use Eternal Wind RW's remaining Enwind to plaster his big bulb face across the arena with Swordshower. Who knew?

By the way, if you're not taking Eternal Wind RW to this fight, please, take it. The Stun is a fantastic way to slow this jerk the hell down on top of the awesome damage.

(Edit: Unless you're CMing. I'd hate to do this fight without Wall.)

Ended up doing it without Wall! I had two native medicas (OK, Arc's SSB) and Renewing Rains to get me through the dicey parts of the battle. Having Desch as a dedicated machinist probably made up a huge chunk of damage through poison.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I CM mastered without wall as well. Renewing Rains blocking two meteors probably had something to do with that.

PS goons I have 50 mythril again after the last few days have been literally spewing mythril at us. I have pulled a total of 4 x 11 on OK 1 and gotten 2 of OK's sword, 2 of Arc's staff, Arc's robe and an off-banner poo poo.

Convince me to not pull. Help. I am weak

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

With Moonfrost Arrows and the Onion Knight I finally managed to take down Mote Ifrit! :toot: I probably should have brought along Relm or Hope to shore up Protectga duties instead of Exdeath while being able to also use a synergy weapon, but oh well. (OK was doing 9999 x4 with the first command of Moonfrost Arrows, while Exdeath was only doing ~5400 x4 without any synergy weapons.) I am really loving my new mage setup of "bring Edward along just to sing and two mages to unload some enelement RW BSB", but as of yet I can't quite do the same thing for physical characters.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
OK is ridiculous. And even after this current mote dungeon I'm short on 4* wisdom motes, so I guess I'll have to wait until the next to just completely max out OK.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

What are your SBs and RW? Also are those the Onion Knights Gauntlets? But you're not using him? Two healers probably isn't going to fly either. Any wind abilities you could be using?

Fang BSB, Cid goggles SB, Faris BSB, Selphie magic blink SB, and SS2. My plan is to imperil Wind, then use Cid's Big Brawl, then Lifesyphon and repeat.

RW is 99 Shout.

Again, my problem is that he spams aoe 3 times before I get off Shout/Wall/Faris. On the few runs where I survived to get every buff and debuff in place, he stones either Y'shtola or Selphie. Worse yet, even with Protectga/Shellga/SS2, he has aoe attacks that still do 1,000+ damage. I don't have any FF3 synergy other than OK and he's only level 85 so he's not good enough to do anything useful yet.

Edit:. Cid goggles is not a BSB

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 27, 2016

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog

Beasteh posted:

I CM mastered without wall as well. Renewing Rains blocking two meteors probably had something to do with that.

PS goons I have 50 mythril again after the last few days have been literally spewing mythril at us. I have pulled a total of 4 x 11 on OK 1 and gotten 2 of OK's sword, 2 of Arc's staff, Arc's robe and an off-banner poo poo.

Convince me to not pull. Help. I am weak

You don't have a Heroic Shield yet?

You'll draw three next draw. Don't tempt the Random Number God.

(Also the burst'll be back. Both the banners we know of for certain off the top of my head are pretty killer too. Ultros Banner could change... but given how it was made in Japan, it'd probably change by polling Global players, so... you'd get Onion burst anyways...)

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I wish they would just put 4* motes on the gysahl exchange or something so there would be an actual stable supply of them.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Fang BSB, Cid goggles BSB, Faris BSB, Selphie magic blink SB, and SS2. My plan is to imperil Wind, then use Cid's Big Brawl, then Lifesyphon and repeat.

RW is 99 Shout.

Again, my problem is that he spams aoe 3 times before I get off Shout/Wall/Faris. On the few runs where I survived to get every buff and debuff in place, he stones either Y'shtola or Selphie. Worse yet, even with Protectga/Shellga/SS2, he has aoe attacks that still do 1,000+ damage. I don't have any FF3 synergy other than OK and he's only level 85 so he's not good enough to do anything useful yet.

I suggest getting OK to level 99 and changing your RW to Aetherial Pulse. That'll free up ability slots, give you heavy regen, and give you a native hastega

You can probably swap out Yshtola if her replacement uses breakdowns

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Zell's BSB is phenomenal, on a banner that's average, and we know what it's like chasing a dragon. Ice is a good element, but severely held back by support - Laguna is the only Imperil Ice and there's virtually no Ice equipment. Mind, it's not a bad banner, but after the buzz of OK and with some other strong banners coming up (Angeal 1, XIV 1), I could see why people are a bit lukewarm about it.

Laguna's new gun is alright, but it's on a character with almost no utility other than status effects and milquetoast damage until we get more MCH 5 options. If you really want the 50% Boostga + damage, there's Quina's Golden Hairpin.

I'm still pulling on it, but I'll admit to part of it being an FF8 bias, and I'm still partly swayed by Squall/Rinoa 2, which has some pretty good options there as well.

I'm considering it, if only because it's the best opportunity for Mote Ifrit gear for the foreseeable future. The Fujin/Raijin banners are very light on the ice elemental stuff. I do still have almost 400 mythril after only making one OK pull, but I would like to spend liberally on the festival banners/XIV/TG Cid, plus I'm planning on making at least one pull on Zidane OSB 2. I've still got some time to think about it, I guess.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

U-DO Burger posted:

I suggest getting OK to level 99 and changing your RW to Aetherial Pulse. That'll free up ability slots, give you heavy regen, and give you a native hastega

You can probably swap out Yshtola if her replacement uses breakdowns

This isn't helpful. If I could easily get OK to 99 I would have already. Which character has Aetherial Pulse? I don't have everything in this game memorized.

Y'shtola is my wall and I can't do this without wall. I also already pointed out that I have Faris' BSB for breakdowns.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I wish they would just put 4* motes on the gysahl exchange or something so there would be an actual stable supply of them.

they have done this before, one time.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Let me tell you about Multiplayer 160/200 difficulty dungeons coming soon....

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Fang BSB, Cid goggles SB, Faris BSB, Selphie magic blink SB, and SS2. My plan is to imperil Wind, then use Cid's Big Brawl, then Lifesyphon and repeat.

RW is 99 Shout.

Edit:. Cid goggles is not a BSB

I don't know what your hones are like but I would put Blind Shell and Poison Shell on Cid and give him that Ace Striker/Battleforged RM you have on Selphie. Landing blind will help you with incoming damage and stop petrify and poison ticks for 5000 damage. If early fight damage is too much you might not be able to wait for Faris' BSB and need to use a normal breakdown setup. Also hitting his wind weakness will charge you Soul Break Guage about as fast as life siphon I believe.

Honestly only having one instant Soul Break gauge RM might be you biggest issue and your number 1 priority in the whole game should be getting the other. They are both for breaking the second level cap, Mako Might from Cloud and Dr Mog's Teachings is dropped by Tyro.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

This isn't helpful. If I could easily get OK to 99 I would have already. Which character has Aetherial Pulse? I don't have everything in this game memorized.

Y'shtola is my wall and I can't do this without wall. I also already pointed out that I have Faris' BSB for breakdowns.
Aetherial Pulse is an SSB of Y'shtola, which grants Protectga/AoE regen/Shellga. Swapping to it isn't strictly necessary, but regardless having a hastega is at least as important as having Wall. (Check this PDF for a boatload of reference data, including all SBs released thus far. :) )

Regardless, as noted above Ahriman becomes much less intimidating once he's blinded. Not only does it relieve a bunch of damage on your party, but it also means that you have to care far less about being petrified or needing Protectga in the first place. He's also vulnerable to poison, so the ideal situation would be to grab Blind Shell and Poison Shell on someone like Cid and have them lock down Ahriman for a while. Other than that, you only really need one primary attacker at a time if you've got things like Fang's BSB. I did exactly that for my victory, slapping an Eternal Wind RW on Thancred and going to town, though in your case you can likely have Fang do something similar. (Of course you'd have to adapt your current setup to whatever abilities/gear/characters you have, so you may not have access to things like Apocalypse Shield or Jin-Chi-Ten.)

The bottom line is that you'll want to figure out exactly how much mitigation you need to bring along (Blind Shell is great!), then stick with that and no more. I'd mucked up on my first few attempts because I was stacking so much general mitigation (which is relatively expensive in terms of slots compared to specific mitigation like status effects) that I didn't have room for more actual damage, and ended up grinding to a halt when my hones expired.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Beat the buzzer for the Black Friday draw. Went 1/11.

Got Yuna's Tiny Bee of all things.

ETB posted:

Busted on getting a BSB from Onion 2. At least I got Onion Knight's Staff. :toot:

Bonus battles were fine. The gauntlet wasn't bad, especially if you are honed properly.

This is the first Mote dungeon I'm having really trouble with a native team. It might just be a level issue, so I'll check back in on it shortly.

Also, all Onion motes acquired with no dedicated farming. :toot:

MUST BE NICE.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I don't know what your hones are like but I would put Blind Shell and Poison Shell on Cid and give him that Ace Striker/Battleforged RM you have on Selphie. Landing blind will help you with incoming damage and stop petrify and poison ticks for 5000 damage. If early fight damage is too much you might not be able to wait for Faris' BSB and need to use a normal breakdown setup. Also hitting his wind weakness will charge you Soul Break Guage about as fast as life siphon I believe.

Honestly only having one instant Soul Break gauge RM might be you biggest issue and your number 1 priority in the whole game should be getting the other. They are both for breaking the second level cap, Mako Might from Cloud and Dr Mog's Teachings is dropped by Tyro.

Oops! I have both Mako Might and Dr. Mog's Teachings. Not sure why that pic doesn't have them. I must've been still angrily editing the team. :downs:

I had no idea that Blind worked so I'll try that. I have Blind Shot honed up for Cid.

I'm glad you suggested dropping Faris because I thought the same thing. I have a level 97 Ramza with R2 Full Break that I can bring too. He also has Tailwind for party heal. What should his other breakdown be? I'm thinking Magic Breakdown because if I can blind him then that's all I should have to worry about.

I'm keeping the wind gimmick too. It's too much damage to pass up.

Thanks you guys!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Aetherial Pulse is one of Yshtola's SBs, it grants the party Protectga, Shellga, and Heavy Regen. I didn't know what Faris's burst commands were, my bad.

If OK is at 85, then doesn't that mean you have access to the highest difficulty FF3 Exp dungeon? OK can solo that at lvl 85 if you use a BSB RW. Once he's at lvl 89 he'll have lvl 99 stats in the fight against Ahriman.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

You might also check your inventory and see which elemental resist accesories you have. If you picked up a Necrophobe ward or one of the gigas armlets they do really, really well here.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Prav posted:

skip selphie/esuna and just blind it. the odds of it both hitting the attack and proccing petrify is negligible after that

you don't have anyone to poison it either. that's a lot of damage to leave on the table. you've got Cid right there, man.

Mote Ahriman is vulnerable to blind and poison?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Did an 11 on the OK. Got the Onion whatever Burst thing. Thanks game. I like it when you are nice to me.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

AweStriker posted:

Indeed. Generally folks on reddit will produce detailed AI dumps within a day or so, but FFRKCentral will also produce stat/ability lists whenever a new dungeon comes out. (In this case the three Ahrimans refer to phase changes as he loses HP, though sometimes powerful bosses will change phases or patterns within those phases based on other triggers such as being hit with certain abilities or upon reaching a certain ATB turn.)

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 27, 2016

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

AweStriker posted:

Blind just gave me the mastery after a few dozen S/Ls when he'd petrify dudes before I even got an action.

Did it with:

Cloud (68) - Lifesiphon/Full Charge, Battleforged RM, OSB
Ramza (68) - Dark Buster/Magic Breakdown, Dr.Mog's RM, Shout
Gilgamesh (65) - Banishing Strike/Flame Blossom, Legend Blade RM, Tauntilate BSB
Vanille (67) - Curaja/Shellga, Pulse Kindness RM, Ether Medica SB
Faris (67) - Tempo Flurry/Dark Buster, Mako Might RM, Breakdown BSB

RW - Wall

MVP definitely goes to Cloud's wind OSB, with a close second place to Greg's Tauntilate BSB. I was able to draw so much fire on him that once it was up, I basically had BSB on him the whole fight. I lost medals for damage taken, and I had to res once, but blind really did cut down on the bullshit once I got it out, then Greg's tauntilate was good extra DPS.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

NGDBSS posted:

Indeed. Generally folks on reddit will produce detailed AI dumps within a day or so, but FFRKCentral will also produce stat/ability lists whenever a new dungeon comes out. (In this case the three Ahrimans refer to phase changes as he loses HP, though sometimes powerful bosses will change phases or patterns within those phases based on other triggers such as being hit with certain abilities or upon reaching a certain ATB turn.)

Well then. I guess I'm taking Wakka off the bench for Aurochs Reels when I get to that...

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I took out Auron with his Burst for a spin. Auron's Bushido, Beatrix's Knight Protector, and Fran's Shatterheart along with Swift Bolt from Ramza since he could use Edward's Fabled Harp for the lightning weaknesses meant the FF4 ultimates got aced, despite some close calls with the incoming damage. I'm glad I got those done with since I was a little afraid of them, which is why I put them off until now. Glad I have major AOE potential now.

But now it's time to focus on grinding again. Who's next on the list...

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
The real dilemma begins: Do I pull for my husband Ingus or wait for my other husbands, Warrior of Light and Firion? FFXIV is nice but I already have a crushing A-team and don't care about Cid's Missions.

e: discord bot says Ingus and friend says Ingus because he thought I said Angus and now he wants a burger. Time to use this mythril.

e2: that's not an Ingus shield but an Onion Knight staff instead.

Garin fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 27, 2016

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I got the OK Bracer, but I'm starting to think a holy based team without OK might still be my A team.

I've got Beatrix with her BSB, Celes with her BSB, Ramza with Shout, Tyro with his BSB and Rosa with Divine Heal.

With Saints Cross on Tyro and maybe a Diaga on Rosa pretty much anything that isn't holy resistant is going to be demolished and with the magic blink from both Tyro and Rosa the team is pretty tough to kill.

I've got an embarrassment of riches in this game.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
I am sorry Ingus but you were not influential enough in the gacha to be my husband. Maybe next year.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

widespread posted:

Beat the buzzer for the Black Friday draw. Went 1/11.

Got Yuna's Tiny Bee of all things.

MUST BE NICE.

What up Tiny Bee buddy. If nothing else, now you have infinite uses of Meteor-lite with an offensive Yuna!

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
There's been a lot of people that got a Tiny Bee. Huh. Including me, some other friends and lots of people on here.

Like, not just A Tiny bee, but at least one admist other stuff.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with what I got: Tiny Bees and Celes's BSB. Additionally, I am AT LONG LAST free of Eiko as my main healer, as I got Arc's two SSBs. Arc, the man who follows the footsteps of Minwu, showing that, yes, guys can be awesome healers, too.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I must have won the RNG battle against mote Ahriman. With my CM team I used Shout RW, did not even think to bring blind/poison, and just DPS raced it dead before it could start thinking of going apeshit on me. Even mastered the drat thing so I didn't have to come back with my A-team.

Back to hopelessly farming black crystals until the IV event expires!

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Alright, I made it through the U+ CM with my current synergy, which is two Lust Daggers, a Heroic Shield, a Desch's Sword and those 4* III armors that teach Cores some SBs. I think I'm going to make it through this event without spending any more Mythril on it. I can resist the lure of the gauntlets. I have to.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on Ahriman. Blind and Poison shots were really helpful. He still did a shitload of damage though. AoE spam that does 900 per character even after Full Break+Magic Breakdown+Wall+Shellga is totally unfair.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
At 48 mythril, having a hard time deciding what to do.

- OK Banner 1: Made two attempts on OK 1, got Heroic Shield x 2, Elder Staff (dollar pull, actually), and Lust Dagger. I'd still really like OK BSB or Luneth BSB (or even OK Sword SSB), but that's a pretty high chance on whiffing. Also I don't need synergy right now since I aced the Ult+ CM.

- OK Banner 2: I like Refia a lot ever since I dollar pulled her SSB back at the Desch event (it was my first eight-hit physical SB). I'd mainly pull for her BSB, but Ingus's BSB, OK's Staff, or even Desch's SSB would be excellent booby prizes. Break Blade, Blazing Sun (since I have it) and Desch's SB sword would be not that great. Again, synergy not necessarily needed (though I haven't done Mote Ahriman yet)

- Black Friday BSB Lucky Draw: I already have Razzmatazz, Excalibur IV, Lightbringer IX, Wizer Rod, Strange Vision, and Tiny Bee (forget the haters, I still enjoy it, usefulness aside). I wouldn't mind getting more BSBs, but with a high chance of repeats, and better relics always on the horizon, I wonder if this is really worth blowing my load on.

Looking ahead, Squall OSB 1 and Angeal 1 both have interesting sets. People keep talking up Zell's BSB, and with my penchant for drawing ALL of his and Rinoa's relics lately, it wouldn't be such a bad thing to get. I have Squall's En-Ice SB and OSB on my JPN account, and they are such a wonderful combo. Plus Rinoa's BSB wouldn't be an awful get (looking at you, Mote Ifrit). For Angeal 1, it's basically EnWind: The Banner. I already have Cid's Goggles and Crystal Cross, so it's not quite as appealing as Squall OSB 1.

After that, there's not seemingly a whole lot until OSBfest, which looking at JPN's banners, I either have 2-3 items off of each banner already or I don't really care about it. I know it'll change for us, but I'll probably withhold from pulling since Minfilia is RIGHT after.

Any thoughts from you guys? Mostly just using you as a soundboard to suss out my own thoughts.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Alright, I made it through the U+ CM with my current synergy, which is two Lust Daggers, a Heroic Shield, a Desch's Sword and those 4* III armors that teach Cores some SBs. I think I'm going to make it through this event without spending any more Mythril on it. I can resist the lure of the gauntlets. I have to.

Ha, nice to know I'm not the only one tempted.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
What do you have besides a bunch of shiny bursts and otherwise? What's your A-team's trinity status? Are you just pulling for shiny things these days or do you still need core stuff to beat dungeons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Sounds to me like you don't need further III synergy and have talked yourself out of the black Friday banner. Start saving for XIV.

• Locked thread