Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Bill Leak:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Kissinger is an outright murderer.

Okay, yea, fair enough. What about George Soros?

Wait, how does Bill Leak link SJWs and Castro?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The next cartoonist to riff on this deserves to get hit by a bus.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

is this Uncle Ho? I dont think bill leak understood the original cartoon

Jonas Albrecht posted:

i don't mind cartoonists riffing on this if only they understand the basic concept of two mortal enemies making an alliance, not whatever this is supposed to mean

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Who is the guy on the right? Chavez? The whole point of the original is that it's two supposed enemies making a deal that screws over the people in the middle, but Chavez and Castro were allies, so it's not even a correct reference.

Ularg posted:

Okay, yea, fair enough. What about George Soros?

He's a Jew globalist.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Does Garrison actually disagree with Kissinger's opinions?
or does he just hate him because he's a jew?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

is this Uncle Ho? I dont think bill leak understood the original cartoon
Ho Chi Minh makes sense. At first glance I thought it was Kofi Annan and wondered when he died.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I'm actually surprised he put Kissinger on it given Trump apparently likes him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

World Famous W posted:

"Quality, freshness and flavor"?

Radical. Islamic. Terrorism.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Prism posted:

I'm actually surprised he put Kissinger on it given Trump apparently likes him.

Yeah but so does Hillary iirc.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

smug n stuff posted:

idgi what does this have to do with maus at all
that was a good book.

a lot of people saw the symbolism between jews as mice and nazis as cats to mean there was some kinda naturalness to it, like 'oh yea of course jews got killed by a superior predator just like nature'.

Of course how those people saw that and not also "BY ART SPIEGELMAN THE JEWISH DUDE WHO'S FAMILY WAS IN THAT THING" is beyond me but that tends to be the criticism of it that doesn't boil down to 'goddamn jews and their holo-hoax'

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

I doubt it's just that, but yeah it's a pretty big part of it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

I wonder if it's just a coincidence that they're both Jews. :iiam:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

it is completely possible to have a problem with kissinger without it having anything to do with him being a jew

for garrison though that'll be the sweet cherry on the cake

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sir Tonk posted:

I wonder if it's just a coincidence that they're both Jews. :iiam:

But they're never upset about Sheldon Adelson...

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Trapezium Dave posted:

Ho Chi Minh makes sense. At first glance I thought it was Kofi Annan and wondered when he died.

It's definitely Uncle Ho. Look at the facial hair then Google image search him.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
how do you know the cartoon enough to parody it and/or expect your audience to recognize it and not get the joke :psyduck:

it's like a exotic meat salesman made a cartoon using Join, or Die because it's obviously about snake butchery

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Bill Leak literally has brain problems. On top of being loving stupid.

Dr. Killjoy fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 27, 2016

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

TheBigAristotle posted:

I love that half these guys celebrating Castro's death probably loving looove Cuban cigars and happily violated the embargo to get them.

My dad got them all the time, and bitched when Obummer lifted the embargo.

Has this guy just been seething over the idea of Maus for 35 years?

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 27, 2016

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

a lot of people saw the symbolism between jews as mice and nazis as cats to mean there was some kinda naturalness to it, like 'oh yea of course jews got killed by a superior predator just like nature'.

Of course how those people saw that and not also "BY ART SPIEGELMAN THE JEWISH DUDE WHO'S FAMILY WAS IN THAT THING" is beyond me but that tends to be the criticism of it that doesn't boil down to 'goddamn jews and their holo-hoax'

The cat/mouse stuff really broke some people's brains. Like, how do they read the scene where the jew-rat characters are hiding and being disgusted by the actual rats in the garbage and not understand the metaphor?

One thing I like about Maus is that it explores untypical aspects of the Holocaust. Its a common observation from Holocaust stuff that normal people can be complicit or participatory in genocide, but Maus makes the even more terrifying observation that you can survive the same genocide and still come out the other side not a hater of injustice, but just another, everyday racist grandpa. Its really sad.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
What's the general consensus on Castro, anyway? Some people actually seemed to like him, while many others despised him.

Are the depictions of Castro as bloodthirsty dictator overblown or something?

(The guy Castro overthrew, Batista, seemed to have been a piece of poo poo, tho)

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Maus is so, so good and we'd all be happier better people if we read a page of it for every cartoon posted here.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mister Beeg posted:

What's the general consensus on Castro, anyway? Some people actually seemed to like him, while many others despised him.

Are the depictions of Castro as bloodthirsty dictator overblown or something?

(The guy Castro overthrew, Batista, seemed to have been a piece of poo poo, tho)

There is no consensus. He was a better dictator than, say, Gaddhafi or Idi Amin but he was still a repressive dictator. Your opinion of him is based on how much you think that his achievements (literacy, health care, etc) outweigh his human rights abuses.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
He's a bogeyman for America due to his staunch anti-American stance. The CIA's many creative ways of trying to kill him reinforced his stance. They'll never mention the good with the bad and instead go full on COMMUNISM BAD when talking about him.

Remember, the US doesn't super care about human rights abuses if you're friendly with them or give them what they want. See: Saudi Arabia.

He's a lot like Chavez, really. He seemed to give a drat about his people but thought only he knew how to do it right, so authoritarianism away.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I wonder how many cartoonists were pissed that something important happened during what should be their long-weekend holiday of nothing but pardoned turkey, black friday shopping, Families at Thanksgiving, and Christmas is Still a Thing cartoons.

Perhaps not many given how easy it is to poo poo out a simple obit cartoon.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

I wonder how many cartoonists were pissed that something important happened during what should be their long-weekend holiday of nothing but pardoned turkey, black friday shopping, Families at Thanksgiving, and Christmas is Still a Thing cartoons.

Perhaps not many given how easy it is to poo poo out a simple obit cartoon.

On the other hand, this is one of the few times cartoonists can get away with drawing a real life person going to Hell, so that's something, at least.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

David Rowe is the other :australia: cartoonist I know that has a Castro obit:

I think he was happy to have an excuse to draw a bunch of dead presidents.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Stultus Maximus posted:

There is no consensus. He was a better dictator than, say, Gaddhafi or Idi Amin but he was still a repressive dictator. Your opinion of him is based on how much you think that his achievements (literacy, health care, etc) outweigh his human rights abuses.

He was undoubtedly bad. I mean, what kind of nightmare regime would you have to be to set up an apparatus for mass surveillance of your citizens, try to subvert other states to force them to adopt your form of government, and keep political prisoners locked up indefinitely without trial in Cuba?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Soricidus posted:

He was undoubtedly bad. I mean, what kind of nightmare regime would you have to be to set up an apparatus for mass surveillance of your citizens, try to subvert other states to force them to adopt your form of government, and keep political prisoners locked up indefinitely without trial in Cuba?

At least they don't perform extrajudicial executions of foreign citizens.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

I'm so sick of this recent conservative notion that their form of bigotry and general shittiness to specific groups is nothing compared to regimes that jail and kill the same people. Relativism is nothing new, but it all comes back to what Trump said, that he would protect our LGBT-CUE citizens from the "violence and oppression of a hateful foreign ideology."

Like the biggest problem in the average gay American's life is ISIS and not millions of their fellow Americans and their ignorant nonsense.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Man, I thought his Nixon was LBJ until I saw LBJ. How on earth is Nixon your weakest caricature, I just don't get it

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Voyager I posted:

At least they don't perform extrajudicial executions of foreign citizens.

swoosh

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Waaaiiit, why is Trump getting the credit for Castro when Obama is still president? Really rustles my jimmies I tell ya.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Starshark posted:

Waaaiiit, why is Trump getting the credit for Castro when Obama is still president? Really rustles my jimmies I tell ya.

OBAMA BAD

TRUMP GOOD

CASTRO DEAD GOOD

ERGO TRUMP MAKE CASTRO DEAD

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Starshark posted:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Starshark posted:

What a bad president Obama was. 8 years in office and he didn't manage to get rid of a single enemy of the United States. Bush managed to get rid of Saddam, Gadaffi, and bin Laden, and I'm sure Trump will go on to claim many other scalps beside Castro's. Dems need to up their murder game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

A Good Meme.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Shangri-Law School posted:

Maus is so, so good and we'd all be happier better people if we read a page of it for every cartoon posted here.

not emptyquoting

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sandpuppy posted:

While the world watched in horror as Finland sank into the sea, India used the diversion to quickly take over the entire middle east.

We got the technology for underwater dome-cities and we've figured out how to farm seaweed and molluscs. gently caress all y'all. We'll be coming back in a few hundred years thanks to continental rebound, but until then, you're on your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

endlessmonotony posted:

We got the technology for underwater dome-cities and we've figured out how to farm seaweed and molluscs. gently caress all y'all. We'll be coming back in a few hundred years thanks to continental rebound, but until then, you're on your own.

And it's also significant that the person suggesting it has both better policies and a warmer, more human personality than the current prime minister.

(Latter basically is a politoon, and it's completely incomprehensible if you don't speak Finnish.)

• Locked thread