Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

prometheusbound2 posted:

To what extent does Windows 10 preclude advanced graphics mods? I ran a pretty mod heavy loadout of Skyrim and consistently crashed whenever I approached Whiterun. Now, this was probably entirely my fault, as I was running over 100 mods.

However, I kept all the gameplay mods, turned off the graphics mods(primarily Noble Skyrim and SMIM) and turned the resolution down from 2k to 1080p, and now the game works completely fine. Of the graphic overhauls in the OP, which are the least likely to disrupt Windows 10 RAM limitations?

I'm running Oldrim on Windows 10. I use the Skyrim Mod Combiner which is 14.7GB all by itself on my install plus some other visual mods and an ENB. Game works just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

dwarf74 posted:

It's the Back button, the tiny one near your left thumbstick. Or it was for me, anyway.

Much appreciated.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
you ever spend 10 hours modding skyrim and realize theres nothing to do in this game

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
Only ten hours?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Editing a pre existing mod list of course.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

TipsyMcStagger posted:

WICO Character overhaul is such an awesome modification.
The characters look so amazingly better after this mod. General Tullius especially.

My only gripe is they made nude female models but left the ability to have "Clean female textures" during install, which until I full looted my first dead female corpse did I find out what they were trying to convey.

I'll point out that WICO also modifies some weird miscellaneous poo poo that it has no good reason to and as far as I know doesn't mention it anywhere. What I specifically noticed was it changes the weight of ebony and malachite ore/ingots (I use a weightless-crafting-mats mod so the fact that they weighed anything at all stood out). No doubt there's more but I ended up uninstalling it instead of investigating further.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Walrus Pete posted:

I'll point out that WICO also modifies some weird miscellaneous poo poo that it has no good reason to and as far as I know doesn't mention it anywhere. What I specifically noticed was it changes the weight of ebony and malachite ore/ingots (I use a weightless-crafting-mats mod so the fact that they weighed anything at all stood out). No doubt there's more but I ended up uninstalling it instead of investigating further.

Sure it was WICO? Looking at it now it isn't modifying anything besides NPC records.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

The Doomhammer posted:

Sure it was WICO? Looking at it now it isn't modifying anything besides NPC records.

Weird. They definitely went back to weighing nothing after I disabled WICO, and that's the only change I made :shrug:

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Hmm, looking at the mod page again I remember I didn't install the armor sets or whatever it was that come with it, so its possible they mess with that.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Average Bear posted:

you ever spend 10 hours modding skyrim and realize theres nothing to do in this game

You forgot the add content mod, obviously. Sounds like you could do with another 10 hour modding session.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

SPERG does some interesting things with the Speech tree, but I'm guessing actually leveling the skill is still a chore? (I see shouts now count towards improving it)

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Rinkles posted:

SPERG does some interesting things with the Speech tree, but I'm guessing actually leveling the skill is still a chore? (I see shouts now count towards improving it)

It's fairly slow still on my Oldrim run. I'm level 61 or so now, and Speech from random persuasion checks, shouting and selling is somewhere in the low 60s, so it might be worth actually using a Master Trainer or so for Speech in between. On the other hand, SPERG made Skyrim just that much better, it is really rather impressive.

Somewhat unrelated: does anybody know of a good replacement (not just texture update) for Savior's Hide? I am currently using this slightly weird Savior's Hide/Robe combination (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1620/), but is there anything somewhat more clothed (pants, proper skirt, something like that?) available that isn't that terrible clipping mess where somebody simply combined it with leather pants?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

One of my major annoyances with Skyrim when I played it the first time was the level scaling of unique items. Is there a mod with a reasonable solution (not even sure what that would entail)?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I think Complete Crafting Overhaul had a "update level-dependent artifacts to match your pace" feature. It was implemented either as an automatic script whenever you leveled up, a cast spell or just a manual button in the MCM menu.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Speech with SPERG seemed to go up fairly rapidly.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Speech generally goes up pretty quick, it is just difficult to focus on.

Just stop picking up everything, and limit yourself to thing that 1000:1 value:weight ratio, like gems. Sell stacks of gems 1 at a time.

Your other primary skills will easily overtake speech, but it should easily keep pace as one of your top 5.

Also, don't hesitate to buy things. Some Fire/Frost resist boots can go a long way with dragon encounters, and staking current with fortify enchants for your primary combat skills is basically the reason late game NPCs are so Healthy.

Lastly, spend on the trainers, especially early on. If you can get speech up above your other skills by a health margin early in the game it will easily get up to expert levels as one of your top three. If you drop perks in it, the feedback loop of higher sale prices for more skill XP for more level ups, for more speech perks, for higher sale prices for more skill XP will keep things going.

If you don't focus on Speech at all... it'll probably still get up around 50 without trying. If you train alchemy, you may even get it well into expert without investing any perks. Problems really set in when you ignore it for a long time and get a dozen skills higher level than it, and you're trying to level Speech from near Novice levels at level 40+. Because of the way skill XP is weighted it becomes a terrible grind, mitigated only by virtue of some gear you can find at those levels possibly being comparable to gems in value/weight, and otherwise possibly deeper carry capacity. But by that point you might as well burn gold on training, because you basically exhausted the level scaling. Very few NPCs are even level 40, nevermind any higher. So no reason not to train pickpocket from the trainer in Windhelm (while simultaneously picking her pockets), then going to repeat with alchemy trainers (pickpocket your money back) and optionally repeating with speech, but you're just as well making and selling potions that use giants toes as ingredients and selling them, since by then 5 skill ups will probably barely scratch a level up, meaning you have to make up the difference some other way.

tl;dr

Focus on getting Speech skill ups early on, by whatever means necessary.
If you let Speech languish, you're probably at end game anyway. just abuse whatever mechanics you want/can to get your other skills up. It's a victory lap past level 40.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

hope and vaseline posted:

*immersive nudes

Skyrim Modding: 4k textures so immersive when she nudes

Anyway, I'm really hoping somebody gets on converting SkyUI to Special Edition soon, because I'm using the vanilla interface for the first time and it's godawful.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

Skyrim Modding: 4k textures so immersive when she nudes

Anyway, I'm really hoping somebody gets on converting SkyUI to Special Edition soon, because I'm using the vanilla interface for the first time and it's godawful.

Isn't there an older version (2.2 or something) of SkyUI that kind of works with Special Edition?

I'm not making the switch myself right now because (a) I have an unreasoning faith that SKSE conversion will happen before I die and (b) gently caress learning a new mod manager.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

docbeard posted:

Isn't there an older version (2.2 or something) of SkyUI that kind of works with Special Edition?

I'm not making the switch myself right now because (a) I have an unreasoning faith that SKSE conversion will happen before I die and (b) gently caress learning a new mod manager.

Yes there is, I linked it a while back.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm guessing this is a bug?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Rinkles posted:

I'm guessing this is a bug?

Grey face is caused by multiple conflicting edits to the same actor, it's your mods.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
No, Hert and Hern or whomever the male is at that mining camp are vampires.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Grey face is caused by multiple conflicting edits to the same actor, it's your mods.

TES5Edit should solve it?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Yeah, there's your tonic. If there's more than one mod muscling in on it, you'll see it right then and there.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
so with NMM and WICO installed, I reinstalled the mod and put on "clean textures" but it hasn't updated in my game. Any way I can force load it?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Grey face gone, thanks.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

sebmojo posted:

Yes there is, I linked it a while back.

I found one, don't know if it's the same one: https://steamcommunity.com/app/489830/discussions/0/312265473877469139/#c312265672105580112

It's working for me, it just has weird icons and obviously there's no SKSE features or the MCM.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Rinkles posted:

For Oldrim: Read and Learn Speechcraft Speech

I never used it extensively with SPERG so it might be a little OP, but you could easily curb that by just not reading every single book you see.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Solovey posted:

I never used it extensively with SPERG so it might be a little OP, but you could easily curb that by just not reading every single book you see.

That one seems pretty ~*~immersive~*~. Makes sense you should be able to learn new words or turns of phrase to make you better at persuasion or barter.

Also, not reading every book you ever see? What's the point of that?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

You guys were totally not kidding. I have an issue which I do not know if it can be solved by a mod or by fiddling with the config files - poo poo is flickering all across and the best I could gather for what is causing it is that Skyrim behaves extremely badly with refresh rates above 60hz (I have a 144hz monitor). I don't see any "enable vsync" option on the menu, so, any tips on what I should do?

Thanks in advance!

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Rinkles posted:

One of my major annoyances with Skyrim when I played it the first time was the level scaling of unique items. Is there a mod with a reasonable solution (not even sure what that would entail)?
You can do two things:
Create a little script that either runs continuously or fires of the levelup-event and have it give you the better version of the item at the appropriate level.
Or - and this is way easier and less messy of a solution - you can take the leveled list with Tes5Edit and "unlevel" it by changing all item entries to be the highest tier version of the item.

But really there aren't that many scaled items in the game. This is all of them:
Lunar weapons
Mage's Circlet
Gauldur Blackblade
Gauldur Blackbow
The Pale Blade
Nightingale Blade
Nightingale Bow
Amulet of Articulation
Chillrend
Nightingale Armour
Dragonbane
Shield of Sollitude
Miraak's Sword
Miraak's Staff (all 3 versions have the same stats save for value)
Miraak (the mask)
Miraak's Robe (all 3 versions are the same)

wiegieman posted:

It was already solved, but still: This isn't quite correct.
Grey face is caused when a NPC's facegen data is changed, without there being updated meshes & textures.
Conflicting mods can be the problem when your appearance-changing-mod does supply the facegen files, but you're using another mod that overrides that first mods' changes to the NPC form.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Transmetropolitan posted:

You guys were totally not kidding. I have an issue which I do not know if it can be solved by a mod or by fiddling with the config files - poo poo is flickering all across and the best I could gather for what is causing it is that Skyrim behaves extremely badly with refresh rates above 60hz (I have a 144hz monitor). I don't see any "enable vsync" option on the menu, so, any tips on what I should do?

Thanks in advance!

We like using stuff like Nvidia Inspector to force a framerate limit on the hardware level. ENB also comes with its own solution.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

scamtank posted:

We like using stuff like Nvidia Inspector to force a framerate limit on the hardware level. ENB also comes with its own solution.

I see. I skipped it because I am on Windows 10, is it worth it anyway?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Solovey posted:

Alternative *~IMMERSION~* option for Oldrim is Living Takes Time.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/44623/

Whether or not you use any other options, you can set books to give Speech XP based on how long you read them, with a bunch of possible variables to fiddle with to control the potential speech XP rate. Good if you want to seriously role play your character actually reading, since you can setup near 1:1 time ratios and literally read the books, gaining skill XP accordingly, or you can setup big time multipliers so a lot of time passes as if your character spent all afternoon reading (but not more than maybe 30 seconds for you), or even mix it with Read and Learn Speechcraft and setup very minor multipliers in those instances you actually take the time to read something can still give a little extra XP.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Anyone else have any problems with Immersive Armors causing the opening cart ride to literally flip out in newrim?

Is there a version that doesn't use scripts? I know I could easily just use an alternate start mod to get around it, but I actually like playing the intro.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Anyone else have any problems with Immersive Armors causing the opening cart ride to literally flip out in newrim?

Is there a version that doesn't use scripts? I know I could easily just use an alternate start mod to get around it, but I actually like playing the intro.

Create a save right after the cart ride before character customization. Load from that file every time you want to make a new character.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

What mod manager is everyone using for SSE?

I've been reading this thread and I have foggy memories of somebody claiming to use MO for SSE.

I'd love to stick to MO, but I'm a bit unsure about the functionality of the TESVSE Plugin for Mod Organizer 2 since it apparently only halfway works. Are there other methods?

I could switch over to NMM if necessary, but man, I really wouldn't want to lose out on the ability to mess with my mod order without having to reinstall things.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Using Wrye Bash and NMM for now, I'll probably clear everything out when NewMM pops up though.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Hell, you could still use an alternative start mod; LAL still has an option to do vanilla start from the cell. There's also an option in IA's spell menu that allows for better compatibility with the Helgen opening, which worked for the most part for me in my testing (still had Ralof and Hadvir switching armors randomly during the cart ride and dragon attack though), but supposedly that menu will cause crashes if you open it a second time (should be fixed next version).

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Is that a known bug of IA or is it just happening because you don't have your fps capped @ 60?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Using a gamepad seems to disable most of the keyboard. Is there a (simple) way to re-nable it? Mostly for hot keys in mods.

e:found this http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30913/

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 27, 2016