Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Speaking of modern: I just built Dredge and this poo poo is too bananas to not get hit by the banhammer.

Which is more likely:

Cathartic Reunion gets the axe and then we all switch to playing Tormenting Voice

or

Ban Prized Amalgam; this kills the crab deck

I doubt anything is banned from it to be honest. I feel like bannings are only going to happen in mass or not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anglachel
May 28, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

Speaking of modern: I just built Dredge and this poo poo is too bananas to not get hit by the banhammer.

Which is more likely:

Cathartic Reunion gets the axe and then we all switch to playing Tormenting Voice

or

Ban Prized Amalgam; this kills the crab deck

Reunion is more likely I think. They seem to aim at to weaken a deck rather than destroy it when they can. I mean they could have gone full blown "gently caress Eldrazi" and banned Temple too but didn't. And when they put a bullet in Amulet Bloom, they hit Summer Bloom and not the Amulet so some form of the deck could maybe exist.

Sickening posted:

I doubt anything is banned from it to be honest. I feel like bannings are only going to happen in mass or not at all.

This is probably correct. There isn't the kind of uproar amongst the "right people" like Bloom and Eldrazi had. Though those people loved Twin so who knows?

All the pro players who are on contract with the card selling companies are trying to get people hyped on "frontier", and are trying to convince people the most popular format is a dumpster fire. I'm sure weaker modern with less viable archetypes will be tons of fun!

anglachel fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 27, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

anglachel posted:

Reunion is more likely I think. They seem to aim at to weaken a deck rather than destroy it when they can. I mean they could have gone full blown "gently caress Eldrazi" and banned Temple too but didn't. And when they put a bullet in Amulet Bloom, they hit Summer Bloom and not the Amulet so some form of the deck could maybe exist.

This is probably correct. There isn't the kind of uproar amongst the "right people" like Bloom and Eldrazi had. Though those people loved Twin so who knows?

All the pro players who are on contract with the card selling companies are trying to get people hyped on "frontier", and are trying to convince people the most popular format is a dumpster fire. I'm sure weaker modern with less viable archetypes will be tons of fun!

Yes, the frontier hype from the low tier, contracted "pros" is pretty silly.

I get the hate from modern from the pros and some of the grinders. Standard is very safe. The lines are less complicated. The metagaming is easier. There is always a clear best deck or two. There is more return on time spent practicing. An average grinder has a better chance to win a standard event vs a modern event.

Modern isn't safe. The power of everything is too close. The cheaper decks aren't just going to get blown out when you sit across from them. Brews can come out of nowhere and win. Anyone could win. Anything could happen. Too scary and I have poverty line life to fund.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 27, 2016

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Unlike the bad formats, where players can practice and develop skills and then leverage those skills to win games, Modern is a well designed format where every game is basically the Chance Encounter mirror.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Modern is good

Pauper is good

Legacy is good.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Mezzanon posted:

Modern is good

Pauper is good

Legacy is good.

Magic is good. I like magic.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Willeh posted:

MODS?! MODS!!!!

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Willeh posted:

I agree, Magic is good.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Harry Houdini is cool and good

Also what the hell is up with people hating fetchlands? I was browsing around Reddit (I know, mistake number one) and ended up in a thread where someone was testing different ban lists for modern and they had fetchlands listed as one of their banned items. I have heard people griping at events before while KTK was still in standard about how bad fetchlands were and how they ruined the game, but it wasn't in the context of perfect mana more that it slowed the game down, shuffling, etc

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Dehtraen posted:

Also what the hell is up with people hating fetchlands? I was browsing around Reddit (I know, mistake number one) and ended up in a thread where someone was testing different ban lists for modern and they had fetchlands listed as one of their banned items. I have heard people griping at events before while KTK was still in standard about how bad fetchlands were and how they ruined the game, but it wasn't in the context of perfect mana more that it slowed the game down, shuffling, etc

The people bitching about fetch lands are either people that are (admittedly or not) mad at the price of them, or hate the fact that 3-4 color decks can exist.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

As long as they don't attempt to throw these into modern masters we are without a doubt getting fetchlands as soon as battle rotates.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I legitimately do not like the search 'n' shuffle part. I'd get mad at Bad River too.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Dehtraen posted:

Some people hate easy mana, some people hate insanely expensive format buyins, some people don't like how much game time they force you to sacrifice to rote procedural actions. I like fetchlands and fetch/dual manabases but there's a lot of at least understandable reasons to wish they hadn't been printed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I legitimately do not like the search 'n' shuffle part. I'd get mad at Bad River too.

I like it for higher impact cards but the fetchlands just don't really have the punch to justify that.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Skyl3lazer posted:

The people bitching about fetch lands are either people that are (admittedly or not) mad at the price of them, or hate the fact that 3-4 color decks can exist.

Ah the "they can't afford them so they hate them" argument, so common among reserved list types. :allears:

I own them, either in foil or in Russian, don't care about 3-4 color decks, and think they're terrible and shouldn't exist. Imagine legacy without them: nobody would ever have a hissy fit about Brainstorm. My problem is that, on top of wasting a ton of time, they almost entirely negate the need to have any other kind of land besides fetches and types duals, while also allowing ridiculously greedy manabases (see Death's Shadow or legacy Delver decks.)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Skyl3lazer posted:

There have been standards without fetches or duals where the best decks were 4-5 color.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I generally like the tradeoffs that mana bases ask for in Modern, where there is both risk and reward to pushing the permissiveness of the mana and flexibility comes at the cost of meaningful chunks of life and vulnerability to nonbasic hate. You can make functional five-color decks in Modern, but they generally do a ton of damage to themselves and might just get locked out of a game by Spreading Seas, let alone Blood Moon, so most decks settle at 2-3 colors. Modern also has a deep enough card pool and devotion-esque payoff cards that even in the presence of fetch mana bases, single color decks are viable.

Fetches in Standard back in KTK were awful because there wasn't really anything in terms of playable land hate to keep greedy manabases in check which combined with the shallow card pool meant a whole lot of 4 color goodstuff decks.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dehtraen posted:

The most boring part about playing miracles is shuffling. The best part is forgetting you had stowed away a good card for a good reason 3 cards down and forgetting about it, then it turns out you have a miracle terminus when they swing for lethal. :haw: But the boring part is the shuffling.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Sickening posted:

As long as they don't attempt to throw these into modern masters we are without a doubt getting fetchlands as soon as battle rotates.

Best case scenario is they've been put in NotEgypt, Wizards has left shifting the Standard rotation schedule too late for them to be removed, we relive the technicolor nightmare that was KTK/ROE and Standard dies a gurgling, shuddering death.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Fetches would be fine if it weren't for typed duals. With both though manabases end up too easily solved and there's too little deckbuilding cost for going from 2->3 colors

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Chill la Chill posted:

The most boring part about playing miracles is shuffling. The best part is forgetting you had stowed away a good card for a good reason 3 cards down and forgetting about it, then it turns out you have a miracle terminus when they swing for lethal. :haw: But the boring part is the shuffling.

For everyone else, the most boring part is that literally half the match time is the Miracles player twiddling with the top three cards of his library. It would be more bearable if the spectators could at least see what the Miracles player was keeping on top and follow along with what he was thinking, but it's just 30 minutes realtime of watching a Boy and his Top.

little munchkin posted:

Fetches would be fine if it weren't for typed duals. With both though manabases end up too easily solved and there's too little deckbuilding cost for going from 2->3 colors

Fetches and Typed Duals are fine as long as there are reasonable ways to punish fragile mana bases (or decks overly reliant on searching their library just to make land drops; Khans-style 15-fetch manabases probably don't exist in a world where Leonin Arbiter is a card) and also card bases that can support decks with less than three colors in them before running out of playable.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 28, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

little munchkin posted:

Fetches are more than fine for standard without typed duals. They are good for the players and great for WOTC because whatever set they choose the fetches for is going to be an instant best seller.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Voyager I posted:

For everyone else, the most boring part is that literally half the match time is the Miracles player twiddling with the top three cards of his library. It would be more bearable if the spectators could at least see what the Miracles player was keeping on top and follow along with what he was thinking, but it's just 30 minutes realtime of watching a Boy and his Top.
:agreed: I hate players who screw around with the top of their library too much. But why would you want to watch miracles in play anyway? :stare:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Theros/Khans was great because you had cool interactions like fixing your draw with courser of kruphix without being completely stupid like top. Also you didn't have typed duals to make fetches stupid (fetches are actually pretty medium when you have to fetch basics)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I remember none of this whining about shuffling when Zendikar was in Standard. Probably because there were no nonbasic lands with basic land types in the other sets and we all liked how well they played with the M10 dual lands.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Should I get a Topplegeist or Unimpeded Trespasser playmat made?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Injuryprone posted:

Topplegeist, no contest

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Injuryprone posted:

both

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

If you really want to know how severe your case of Stockholm syndrome with MTGO is go play the Pokémon tcg online and weep at how much wizards hates us. If there was just one thing I would steal it would be cards you can play with vs cards you can trade and the ability to give away free packs/singles that players can use to play but can't trade that comes with it. The game itself is still very simple and too coin flip reliant but playing and accruing cards is super fun. Even the convoluted trading is better than mtgo

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

PleasantDirge posted:

If you really want to know how severe your case of Stockholm syndrome with MTGO is go play the Pokémon tcg online and weep at how much wizards hates us. If there was just one thing I would steal it would be cards you can play with vs cards you can trade and the ability to give away free packs/singles that players can use to play but can't trade that comes with it. The game itself is still very simple and too coin flip reliant but playing and accruing cards is super fun. Even the convoluted trading is better than mtgo

Contextless emptyquote.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

suicidesteve posted:

Ah the "they can't afford them so they hate them" argument, so common among reserved list types. :allears:

I own them, either in foil or in Russian, don't care about 3-4 color decks, and think they're terrible and shouldn't exist. Imagine legacy without them: nobody would ever have a hissy fit about Brainstorm. My problem is that, on top of wasting a ton of time, they almost entirely negate the need to have any other kind of land besides fetches and types duals, while also allowing ridiculously greedy manabases (see Death's Shadow or legacy Delver decks.)

And then the ridiculously greedy manabases get punished by Wastelands and moon and b2b. The problem there isn't fetches it's Top.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Miracles may not be a great spectator sport but I dont really get most of the whining about the deck; I played 4 rounds with it over the weekend (including 2 3-game mirror matches) and only got one draw, vs Burn.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Skyl3lazer posted:

And then the ridiculously greedy manabases get punished by Wastelands and moon and b2b. The problem there isn't fetches it's Top.

I'm just waiting for the Blood Moon in Standard reprint one day. I pray. I hope.

Or Brainstorm with its immediate Modern banning.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mfcrocker posted:

Miracles may not be a great spectator sport but I dont really get most of the whining about the deck; I played 4 rounds with it over the weekend (including 2 3-game mirror matches) and only got one draw, vs Burn.

People are bad and play slow but instead of enforcing slow-play rules we whine about Top. There's the entire problem with Miracles in a nutshell.

The actual problem is Terminus but don't try telling that to them!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

suicidesteve posted:

People are bad and play slow but instead of enforcing slow-play rules we whine about Top. There's the entire problem with Miracles in a nutshell.

The actual problem is Terminus but don't try telling that to them!

Pfft, speak for yourself. Not only am I bucking the trend as a non-slow Miracles player, I'm also cracking down on Slow Play locally as a judge and encouraging others to do the same :smug:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Voyager I posted:

(or decks overly reliant on searching their library just to make land drops; Khans-style 15-fetch manabases probably don't exist in a world where Leonin Arbiter is a card)

Death's Shadow decks say hi.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cynic Jester posted:

Death's Shadow decks say hi.

And B/W Eldrazi taxes pretty much nukes that deck. :shrug:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

AlternateNu posted:

And B/W Eldrazi taxes pretty much nukes that deck. :shrug:

Yes. It doesn't make 15 fetch landbases less played, it just adds a bad match up. Burn, Zoo and Death's Shadow(irony) probably do more to combat 15 fetch land bases than Taxes decks ever will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GP Chiba for Legacy apparently was a thing that happened this weekend.

Skimming through the top 64 lists, some things I noticed:

- Top 8 was 3 Miracles, 2 S&S, 1 Elves, 1 D&T, 1 Storm
- There were just a lot of Miracles decks in the top in general
- The top 8 Elves list had 1 Leovold and 2 Nissa, Vital Force main. I think Leovold is generically super good card but Nissa seems sus.
- The t8 D&T list has 2 Recruiter, which I think is standard at this point. It also has a Palace Jailer, which I don't think is.
- There's a Painter list in 15th. It runs 4 KLD Chandra
- There are Food Chain lists in 18th and 22nd. The one in 22nd is listed as 61 cards
- 37th and 39th were Dragon Stompy
- 41st place Reanimator list is BR, no blue
- The 48th place list looks like shardless bug without visions and with ninja of the deep hour instead. It does not look good to me, but I've never T64ed a GP
- Joe Lossett was in 51st. There's nothing particularly interesting about his deck
- The 54th place deck is labelled as Elves. It's actually Infect, which does have 4 elves in it I guess
- 64th place looks a love child of Stoneblade and Spirits and I don't mean that as a compliment. Also features 3 month standard all-star Judge's Familiar

• Locked thread