Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Two man's sky enters, no man's sky leaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

It may have been overhyped to hell and back and turned out to be a steaming turd, but I hope No Man's Sky's patch today and future patches materially improve it enough to be worth playing

I love the concept and I love space games but people shouted from the hills to stay away, so I did

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

FirstAidKite posted:

What does this mean?

also I'm just gonna say the same thing I say every time no more heroes is ever mentioned around me.

Where's the no more heroes versus fighting game!!!!

Suda51 likes to experiment with intentionally bad gameplay that challenges your patience more than your skills. A good example is the side jobs in the first game, they aren't a poorly designed timesink to work as filler between the boss fights, it's a chore that you're forced to do as a design choice.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

tap my mountain posted:

Suda51 likes to experiment with intentionally bad gameplay that challenges your patience more than your skills. A good example is the side jobs in the first game, they aren't a poorly designed timesink to work as filler between the boss fights, it's a chore that you're forced to do as a design choice.

No I know that, I just wasn't sure what you meant with it and phantom pain since I haven't played phantom pain and don't know what you're comparing the endings to

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

Neo Destroyman...!!!

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just stepping in to say that Pokemon Moon is a very fun game thank you for your time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Have you never played a Megaman game, or only a few sporadically? If so and you're working your way through the series, I can't wait until you hit X1. :allears:

X1 is essentially a perfect video game.

you know it. Cossack Citadel 4 lyfe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yv22-yc4MA&hd=1

(still not as good as MM2 Wily 1 though)
next you'll be saying hitler did nothing wrong

The only mega man I played before yesterday was Battle Network 1, 2 and 4.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I enjoyed 1 quite and a bit and didn't really understand the general disdain for it. Until I played through 2, wow. What a step up in design, music, and aesthetics. It's interesting that the controls were always kinda perfect from the word go though, MM1 has pitch perfect physics and platforming, I doubt they need to tweak it very much sequel to sequel.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

No I know that, I just wasn't sure what you meant with it and phantom pain since I haven't played phantom pain and don't know what you're comparing the endings to

The Phantom Pain sets up for the story to go on after the climax, except nothing really happens and there isn't a final sense of accomplishment. Many people take that to mean that the true phantom pain is the lack of closure at the end, where it feels like there should be more but there isn't.

In a NM2 which is all about cool bosses, you fight a joke with a massive health bar who drains your energy rapidly requiring you to constantly recharge, and it can very easily push you out the window making you start over from the very beginning. Then when you finally beat it the game suddenly ends in a very unsatisfying manner.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
holy poo poo I'm glad I didn't delete No Man's Sky yet, gonna go build some space buildings!!!!!!!!!

unironically super excited over here

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

precision posted:

holy poo poo I'm glad I didn't delete No Man's Sky yet, gonna go build some space buildings!!!!!!!!!

unironically super excited over here

Great! Have fun - bring back a trip report? I'm now interested in this game and more trip reports would be fun to read.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

in mega man 1 you slide forward a few pixels when you stop moving which i thought made it feel a lot worse than later games. didn't notice it until i tried the challenges in the collection that run you through different games one after another. felt like there was more delay on the jump too but maybe i just got used to it so i didn't notice it as much later

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 28, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

The only mega man I played before yesterday was Battle Network 1, 2 and 4.

how did you miss the good one (3 (also 6))

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I hated 3 when I was a kid and thought that 4 was the height of the series. I had some poo poo taste in games back then

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I haven't checked for a while lemme see if Censored Gaming are still being dumb.

quote:

In a recent NES Classic Edition interview with Balloon Fight's Yoshio Sakamoto, Nintendo removed all mentions of alcohol in the English translation. Alcohol references are removed a total of 3 times.

Yeah they still being dumb.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

StrixNebulosa posted:

Great! Have fun - bring back a trip report? I'm now interested in this game and more trip reports would be fun to read.
DaveKap in the Steam thread has been posting trip reports and they're pretty detailed and neutral as well, which helps. Sounds like it's a genuinely good update that adds lots of good stuff to the game, it might not be a "game-changer" for people determined to hate it, but it seems to change everything from how you craft to finding recipes to harvest minerals at least slightly, and for the better.

But it now apparently tracks and increases life support expenditure when you do the melee-jetpack dash jump now, which means any good the patch did has instantly been rendered moot

In Training posted:

I enjoyed 1 quite and a bit and didn't really understand the general disdain for it. Until I played through 2, wow. What a step up in design, music, and aesthetics. It's interesting that the controls were always kinda perfect from the word go though, MM1 has pitch perfect physics and platforming, I doubt they need to tweak it very much sequel to sequel.
I'd love to see your thoughts on Megaman 5 and 6 as someone going through the games straight right after each other. There's a lot of unjustified hatred for those two, where Megaman 5 is merely rather bland, 6 has some fantastic new mechanics and decent boss fights. It introduces the Wily Capsule Fight which might be what makes everyone hate the game though.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 28, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I have not played the battle network games or command mission

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the wily capsule fight is the same in 4 through 6

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i think i would like no man's sky if i played it and paid like. $20 for it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
apparently PS4 copies can be had for like 10 bucks on ebay so have at it

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Remember Network Transmission? My friend bought it because he loved Battle Network :allears:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Has anyone else in the UK had problems recently with Amazon pre-orders arriving late because it's happened to me like three games in a row now (It says FFXV will arrive on wednesday) I guess it's because I don't have prime anymore but I mean I'm still choosing release day shipping

we don't even get the 20% preorder discount thing they do in the us, the least they could do is give me my dumb game the day they're supposed to

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Come to find out when I get really drunk I start calling my drink coffee and saying there's clues in it while talking about how good it is

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

tap my mountain posted:

The Phantom Pain sets up for the story to go on after the climax, except nothing really happens and there isn't a final sense of accomplishment. Many people take that to mean that the true phantom pain is the lack of closure at the end, where it feels like there should be more but there isn't.

In a NM2 which is all about cool bosses, you fight a joke with a massive health bar who drains your energy rapidly requiring you to constantly recharge, and it can very easily push you out the window making you start over from the very beginning. Then when you finally beat it the game suddenly ends in a very unsatisfying manner.

Ah. What was unsatisfying about the ending of NMH2? Don't you end up doing everything you set out to do, avenging your friend's death and all that, unlike phantom pain which I thought had a chunk of the ending just cut entirely that you could still view cutscenes from or whatever?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

So will Final Fantasy ship without a giant patch or was the delay excuse a load of poo poo.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it has a 7 gb patch

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Started a whole new game in Survival Mode, graphical performance (PS4) is noticeably improved for sure, and it's nice that I'm having to find things to literally survive, ducking into caves to let my hazard gear recharge, etc.

I'm sure that nothing this or future updates do will turn anyone around on the game, but I think they'll be enough to satisfy people who already enjoyed it, and probably bring in a decent number of new players based on word of mouth and used copies being so cheap.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Ah. What was unsatisfying about the ending of NMH2? Don't you end up doing everything you set out to do, avenging your friend's death and all that, unlike phantom pain which I thought had a chunk of the ending just cut entirely that you could still view cutscenes from or whatever?

Because No More Heroes is all about fighting stylish bosses and the final boss is the antithesis of that

Travis even remarks about how excited he is to see the reveal of the final boss

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

tap my mountain posted:

Because No More Heroes is all about fighting stylish bosses and the final boss is the antithesis of that

Travis even remarks about how excited he is to see the reveal of the final boss

Ah

that's dumb

he still should have just made a versus fighter

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In Training posted:

I beat Mega Man 1 this morning and started 2. I went Metal Man then Wood Man on a guess and it worked. The music and level design is already noticeably better

Lol. It's pretty hard to guess wrong in that game.

FirstAidKite posted:

Ah. What was unsatisfying about the ending of NMH2?

Just about everything.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

There's a ton of properties that deserve a fighting game. Blizzard vs Capcom, Pure Platinum Allstars, Konami Kash-In Kombat, Fighters From Software, etc.

The world needs more franchise fighters

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

tap my mountain posted:

Fighters From Software

"Ugh, they added ANOTHER sword-user from the souls games, but they won't add the president of the united states because he's too big >:["

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No Man's Sky thread

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

"Ugh, they added ANOTHER sword-user from the souls games, but they won't add the president of the united states because he's too big >:["

I figure the giant robots would be shrunk for Souls/Bloodborne stages, and vice versa for the AC/MWC levels. Also it'd be a arena fighter like Virtual On.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i only played the demo but Unbox might be the least worst of the 3D platformer revival games, until Yooka-Laylee comes out. also the demo level on Steam is fuckin huge

that number in the lower left is both your HP and the number of times you can UNBOX aka shed a box to jump higher in the air (which lets you reach those other islands). you move super fast and a little out of control, but they designed the levels to compensate for that. the tape are a collectable littered around, although the actual Star equivalent in the game is Stamps (the demo has 7, a couple of which are hidden around the map)

the one weird thing was jump is RT/RB on the gamepad (unbox is LT/LB) rather than a face button

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

tap my mountain posted:

There's a ton of properties that deserve a fighting game. Blizzard vs Capcom, Pure Platinum Allstars, Konami Kash-In Kombat, Fighters From Software, etc.

Ghostbusters VS RIPD: Fatal Frame Break

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
So people were talking about the Megaman Battle Network games, I remember playing a little bit of one and liking it, don't remember which though. If I were to get one on the Virtual Console, which should I buy? (I know 4 is apparently awful.)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

3, then 6

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

LordHippoman posted:

So people were talking about the Megaman Battle Network games, I remember playing a little bit of one and liking it, don't remember which though. If I were to get one on the Virtual Console, which should I buy? (I know 4 is apparently awful.)

I want to say 3, but 2 is also good. The first is good but clearly the first time they tried out the formula. Pretend the series stopped after those three, and think of it as a rock-solid trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

tap my mountain posted:

They did this for like 7 years and cratered all public interest in the fighting game genre forever

• Locked thread