Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

You may have an easier time finding a replacement AC adaptor than a step-down converter, and it will likely actually be cheaper.

Your input should be 220V 50Hz (although to double-check which country are you actually in?) and your output should be DC 5V 3A with the same sort of plug end as the current adapter has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Thankfully since Japan is half 50hz and Half 60hz you wont need a stepdown convertor that also steps down the hertz (which can get really pricey and complicated). So a very cheap and basic Stepdown converter will work perfectly.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

univbee posted:

Your input should be 220V 50Hz

Yeah. Portugal, by the by.

Mace Bacon posted:

Thankfully since Japan is half 50hz and Half 60hz you wont need a stepdown convertor that also steps down the hertz (which can get really pricey and complicated). So a very cheap and basic Stepdown converter will work perfectly.

OK, good, an hint on what I should look for. So, just a voltage converter, no need to fix the hertz. The power adapter does say 50/60hz.

The console itself says its rating is 8 W, which I imagine means whatever converter needed doesn't need to support a whole lot of wattage.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

AFAIK, and feel free to correct me, the AC Hz rating shouldn't matter if you're rectifying to DC anyway, right? It's just the voltage you need to worry about.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Is the Neo Geo AES region locked? eBay seems to have almost all Japanese consoles which are of course expensive, but the US ones are even more so.

I have a few AES games and would like to play. Don't care about CIB, just want a functioning console with hookups.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The AES is not region-locked. That much I know.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
So maybe just a bios upgrade to that uni thing and proper power?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Yes that should work fine. There is no region protection on Neo Geo however without unibios games default to the language of the region the console is from. I.e using a US copy of Metal Slug on a JP AES will result in Japanese text unless you use unibios to change the console's region.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I picked up a sd2snes this weekend. Has anyone used a micro sd card with an adaptor or should I pick up a real sd card?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

mariooncrack posted:

I picked up a sd2snes this weekend. Has anyone used a micro sd card with an adaptor or should I pick up a real sd card?

I use these for all my flashcarts, no problems with the adapter.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

:retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: You guys! It's here! The quantum leap, the forward in video entertainment, the Rolls-Royce! :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

Look at it!

:woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop:

This is the greatest moment of my life, the one thing I never thought I'd achieve in my collecting days, the DREAM.

So beautiful, nothing will ever be the same, nothi--

Oh. Oh, right. I was supposed to figure how to get this stuff working before I got too excited and bought one, wasn't I? Help me here, fellow European goons. Do I need a step-down converter of some sort? And if so, where would I even go look for a good one nowadays? Or would just a basic converter work?

P.S: These boxes and carts are Xbox HUUUUGE. I thought they would be like Mega Drive sized.

just curious why you went with this and not a consolized MVS/an MVS and a supergun? AES games are mind blowingly expensive and they're exactly the same as MVS games

e: there are also good multicarts for MVS with just about everything you need on them. maybe look into an adapter, I know a dude was making them years ago

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

ah here you go, it's expensive as hell but it's still cheaper than most good AES agames

http://www.neostore.com/Daedalus-MVS-to-AES-Neo-Geo-Converter-p/20.htm

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Or go for maximum :retrogames: and get that neogeo flashcart :getin:

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

d0s posted:

just curious why you went with this and not a consolized MVS/an MVS and a supergun? AES games are mind blowingly expensive and they're exactly the same as MVS games

What's the most favored Supergun out there? I'm looking for something that doesn't look like it was made in someone's garage and comes with proper arcade game pads.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

XYZ posted:

Or go for maximum :retrogames: and get that neogeo flashcart :getin:

does one exist now? I heard it was something really hard to make

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

d0s posted:

does one exist now? I heard it was something really hard to make

https://www.neosdstore.com/shop/index.php?id_product=10&controller=product&id_lang=1

That'll be 400 Euros, please.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
The write times are gnarly though. It's like multiple minutes for some games.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

d0s posted:

just curious why you went with this and not a consolized MVS/an MVS and a supergun?

I am aware about consolized MVS stuff and homebrew supergun solutions, neither of which are the legit article. This, however, is it. I had been dreaming about it since I read about the "Rolls-Royce" of the console world in some Spanish magazine in the late 90's.

I currently own the two games on the photo plus Samurai Spirits 2, which should be arriving next month. Total cost of the three all CIB and pretty? 110€. Yes, I imagine most AES games will be impossible to get in comparison, but at some point I'll get a magickey converter or whatever. Right now, I'm fairly happy. Just need to find the stepdown converter or some other solution to get it going and, then, vrooom, Rolls-Royce, bitch. :iiaca:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Pappyland posted:

What's the most favored Supergun out there? I'm looking for something that doesn't look like it was made in someone's garage and comes with proper arcade game pads.

If you want like the absolute best you can get a Sigma Raijin which is an all in one nothing else required supergun that outputs composite, s-video and RGB:

https://ec.tops-game.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=2912

You can get a perfectly good supergun with tons of features for very little money as long as you have something that takes RGB like a PVM or a SCART-component box:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152257119363

I'm not sure if this violates your "looks like it was made in a garage" thing because it's a bare circuit board, but the fact that it's a circuit board at all is proof that it was actually made in a factory as homemade superguns are nothing but a bundle of wires in a project box. You need to supply a Neo-Geo stick or pad for this supergun but they're easily available.

The expensive part of a supergun is the video encoder, so if you can tell me if you're ok with pure RGB or need somethign that can output composite/svideo/component it would be easier to find you something.

edit:

Saoshyant posted:

I am aware about consolized MVS stuff and homebrew supergun solutions, neither of which are the legit article.

:psyduck: it's not like they're bootleg or emulation or something, it's literally the exact same games and the Neo-Geo is an arcade system first, the MVS is the most "legit" thing there is

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 27, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

d0s posted:

:psyduck: it's not like they're bootleg or emulation or something, it's literally the exact same games and the Neo-Geo is an arcade system first, the MVS is the most "legit" thing there is

They're saying they've been lusting after an AES for 20+ years and they don't care how needlessly expensive or difficult it is compared to a regular supergun, they want this thing they've been dreaming about specifically.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

They're saying they've been lusting after an AES for 20+ years and they don't care how needlessly expensive or difficult it is compared to a regular supergun, they want this thing they've been dreaming about specifically.

yeah I get that, I was just in a similar position for most of my life, always wanted an AES etc. I ended up going down that rabbit hole during the early 2000s and just learned the "hard way" that paying so much extra for plastic and papers was an incredibly bad financial decision when the fun part of Neo-Geo really is the games themselves. I sold it all to buy a car and got a NGCD and later an MVS/supergun. there's really nothing wrong with the AES besides prices which have only gotten worse since then so whenever I see someone going down that road I get flashbacks to really bad buyer's remorse and check to make sure if they really want to get into that.

Sashoyant knows about MVS converters and doesn't seem like they're gonna start buying the crazy-priced stuff so they're fine, just calling the AES "most legit" or whatever irked me :v:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So here's a weird thing I found cleaning out my bookmarks that I forgot I knew about.

this website basically hasn't changed since I first found it like ten years ago or something, but it's a guy selling new-in-box overstock stuff from 30 years ago

http://www.jackbergsales.com/toys/mspacman.htm like these promotional pac-man and ms pac-man plush toys

http://www.jackbergsales.com/toys/HaniMex%20Vintage%20Ponge%20Game.htm or this psychotically antique pong game

http://www.jackbergsales.com/toys/toys-promotionalatariitems.htm Here's the list of promo items (including t-shirts that are probably literally disintegrating from having sat for 30+ years) and atari cart storage boxes

http://www.jackbergsales.com/toys/toys-assortedvideogames.htm Here's the list of carts and hardware (including both ColecoVision expansion module #1 and #2)

the prices are a little psychotic at times, but some of it is reasonable, especially if you are REALLY into, say, Zaxxon.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 28, 2016

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.
I ended up going to the Video & Arcade Top 10 reunion and got hosts Nicholas Picholas and Rob Pagetto to sign some games for my friends and I. They were super nice and really into meeting fans and signing things.

Non-Canadians may not see how big of a deal this is, but meeting them was really cool for a Canadian growing up in the 90s. Video & Arcade Top 10 was such an awesome show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWDPIpfiajE

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'm surprised that guy hasn't moved on to Ebay or something for more exposure in selling that warehouse overstock. But then again, fees. In poo poo no one cares about news I've been spending a little time this weekend trying to cut down on the amount of games I have so I've been playing New Super Mario Bros and Kirby Super Star Ultra on DS and both seem kinda eh to me. I don't know if I'm jaded or plain old nuts or what but it seems like there are better games I could and should be playing in those franchises. Or in general really.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Turbinosamente posted:

Kirby Super Star Ultra

quote:

kinda eh

:smith:

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

beaver_cheese posted:

I ended up going to the Video & Arcade Top 10 reunion and got hosts Nicholas Picholas and Rob Pagetto to sign some games for my friends and I. They were super nice and really into meeting fans and signing things.

Non-Canadians may not see how big of a deal this is, but meeting them was really cool for a Canadian growing up in the 90s. Video & Arcade Top 10 was such an awesome show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWDPIpfiajE

aw, this episode doesn't have gord on it :(

e: this vanilla ice-looking motherfucker providing great tips like "you should use powerups"
gently caress you vanilla ice put blossom back on

checksin fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 28, 2016

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

d0s posted:

Sashoyant knows about MVS converters and doesn't seem like they're gonna start buying the crazy-priced stuff so they're fine, just calling the AES "most legit" or whatever irked me :v:

Sashoyant likely also knows that no woman ever got jealous over an MVS converter.

http://i.imgur.com/2A3aoGh.jpg

People always say this ad is sexist, and I don't know why. If you read the copy all the way through, it tells us that women can play games just as well as men!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
NSMB DS is not very good but it's the first Mario 2D platformer since World. It paved the way for the unrecognized brilliance of NSMBU and the unapologetic mediocrity of NSMB2. The Wii game falls somewhere in-between.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

Cloks posted:

NSMB DS is not very good but it's the first Mario 2D platformer since World. It paved the way for the unrecognized brilliance of NSMBU and the unapologetic mediocrity of NSMB2. The Wii game falls somewhere in-between.

I was all set to defend it but you raise a potential good point: I may really only like it because it was the first 2D Mario platformer since Super Mario World on the SNES. I still feel like it's a totally acceptable game on its own merits, however. I wonder how much of the "meh" it gets is because of the baggage of being a Mario game.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I use a wookiewin SCART to BNC cable and mine is working fine? :confused:

When did you get it? That Shmups thread I linked is admittedly a few years old by now, and one of the posters mentioned that they would e-mail wookiewin about his/her grounding. So maybe they've cleaned up their build process, but you can probably check that by unplugging the audio plugs and seeing what happens (if you already have/do and your video looks normal, then you're fine).

I'm just leery as hell still. Or maybe I'm still ultra-bitter, probably because (as evidenced by the thread), other people had the same experience around the same timeframe I did and we got burned less by chance and more by really weird and sloppy construction decisions. Fortunately, Monitor Burn got it fixed up to work as it is should (irrespective of if the audio outputs are plugged in to anything or not), so I ended up with two SCART-to-BNC adapters. It just should have been that way from the start, though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I really like NSMB DS but I'd certainly agree that both the DS ones are way below the console ones in terms of quality.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Kthulhu5000 posted:

When did you get it? That Shmups thread I linked is admittedly a few years old by now, and one of the posters mentioned that they would e-mail wookiewin about his/her grounding. So maybe they've cleaned up their build process, but you can probably check that by unplugging the audio plugs and seeing what happens (if you already have/do and your video looks normal, then you're fine).

I'm just leery as hell still. Or maybe I'm still ultra-bitter, probably because (as evidenced by the thread), other people had the same experience around the same timeframe I did and we got burned less by chance and more by really weird and sloppy construction decisions. Fortunately, Monitor Burn got it fixed up to work as it is should (irrespective of if the audio outputs are plugged in to anything or not), so I ended up with two SCART-to-BNC adapters. It just should have been that way from the start, though.

A few weeks ago. I only just recent got a PVM. I bought it from recommendations from Retro_Console_Accessories (my usual SCART cable go-to) and the My Life in Gaming dudes.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

8-bit Miniboss posted:

A few weeks ago. I only just recent got a PVM.

Then maybe they got snowballed with enough complaints (or, more positively, realized the issues with their methods once someone pointed them out) and made some changes. So, tentatively at least, maybe they're OK to recommend...

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Kinda glad now that I got NSMB way later on the cheap as opposed to back in the day when it was (full price) brand new. I remember the the chief complaint in reviews was that it was too short. Even so I might not even bother to finish it, its been pretty dull. So far I'm up to world 3 I think? My underwhelmed reaction to Kirby Super Star is mostly due to the way it's split into distinct sections, I'm not a fan of the compartmentalization. drat gorgeous game though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Turbinosamente posted:

Kinda glad now that I got NSMB way later on the cheap as opposed to back in the day when it was (full price) brand new. I remember the the chief complaint in reviews was that it was too short. Even so I might not even bother to finish it, its been pretty dull. So far I'm up to world 3 I think? My underwhelmed reaction to Kirby Super Star is mostly due to the way it's split into distinct sections, I'm not a fan of the compartmentalization. drat gorgeous game though.

A thing happens when you clear world 8.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I just went to the arcade in miami everyone jerks off over because they have candy cabs, there were two shooting games: raiden iv and triggerheart execlica (wtf). on these blast city cabs there were odd very tall and loose joysticks with outrageously large balltops that felt like gripping a racquetball. raiden iv completely lacked sound and had a dying screen. there were 3 2D fighters: MVC2, melty blood, arcana heart. This is apparently the best we can do in florida, kill me now or give me a loan to start a good arcade

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

there's a documentary about game preservation in Japan on NHK english streaming site starting in a few hours:

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/lens/315_28.html

watch here when it airs:

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/lens/

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

d0s posted:

I just went to the arcade in miami everyone jerks off over because they have candy cabs, there were two shooting games: raiden iv and triggerheart execlica (wtf). on these blast city cabs there were odd very tall and loose joysticks with outrageously large balltops that felt like gripping a racquetball. raiden iv completely lacked sound and had a dying screen. there were 3 2D fighters: MVC2, melty blood, arcana heart. This is apparently the best we can do in florida, kill me now or give me a loan to start a good arcade
were people playing mvc2? which version of melty? did mvc2 have happ or japan style sticks?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Zand posted:

were people playing mvc2? which version of melty? did mvc2 have happ or japan style sticks?

I saw people at the MVC2 cab one time only, the sticks were japan style but I'm not sure if they were actually good because the sticks on Raiden IV were absolute poo poo with huge balltops and very long shafts, I have no idea what was going on with that. I don't know the specifics because I didn't play any of the fighters because I'm not into MVC2 or those others. It's disappointing that with limited space they put in those games, I was there years ago and it was the exact same stuff only instead of triggerheart they had one of the mushihimesama games so they place has actually gotten shittier because triggerheart is awful (and I like the developer's previous stuff).

Like I get MVC2, even if it's not my thing it's something a lot of people play, but there are so many good fighters you can put in before melty blood or arcana heart it's kind of mind boggling. I always get a weird vibe from that place and the dude who runs it, like he's really into having girls come in to cosplay and people say he's got like a fixation with that stuff/a sex offender vibe. you decide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Where is that guy's pillow waifu

• Locked thread