Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Stepped into my first Ultimate with the Red Dragon fight.

Stepped out at full hp because oh my god Eiko's BSB is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I wasn't around for the first time on any of them so I'm definitely doing them. If nothing else I will learn some of the pain of all you old-timers.

Also man this XIV event cannot come fast enough, I am in desperate need of mage SBs. I have Garnet's BSB, which is pretty weak damage-wise, and 3 minor faithgas that all overlap each other (I've got Edea's Inaugural Parade, which also gives haste to everyone, so that's a clear favorite), and Terra's Magitek Missile, which is always insanely disappointing every time I use it. I came so close to beating the dumb Magus Sisters mote dungeon by RWing Turk Bombshell and just smacking them to death will all of my magic - I didn't even bring a healer, and only got hit one single time in the opening salvo before they all went to sleep, but I between having no good damage-dealing mage SBs and crap hones, Cindy always wakes up when she's at about 20% health and revives everyone, and I just can't outrace her.

Can't believe how terrible my pool of mage relics is considering how absurd my physical collection is. I'm up to 7 physical BSBs and 1 physical OSB versus...1 magic BSB and a couple of mostly lame Supers.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Beasteh posted:

Dark Dragon 160 is pretty :gibs:

I was in one and we were doing fine and then a dipshit woke up the dragon that I'd slept

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
XIV isn't that great for Mage SBs - Alphinaud is fantastic yes, but the rest are all supportive SBs other than Paplymo's BSB, which is on banner 2.

If you want actual offensive mage SBs the best I can think of offhand is Raijin/Fujin 2.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
Someone should tell people that the Black Mage spell "Sleep" is not actually a good way to apply sleep.

I mean, it's unintuitive as hell, so it's not like I can blame them.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

So when it comes to Raid Dungeons, you should be doing them solo up until the Ultimate difficulty right? That what someone said before?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I'm looking forward to doing Caius U+ again because my XIII synergy is roughly a billion times better than it was when that event happened the first time so I'm excited to push his poo poo in. Same with doing U+ Bartz during the Dorgann event now that I have Gilgamesh's BSB.

The other two I didn't have much trouble with the first time around so I'm not especially worried about them either.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ETB posted:

Seems like the Lucky Draw for the Rematch doesn't seem worth the 25 mythril unless you're newish to the game.
lmao old poo poo lucky draw right after guaranteed BSB banner

Pass

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The rematch lucky draw is an obvious pass, but I'm undecided about the next DU lucky draw. I have plenty of VI synergy (it's probably my second best realm after VII), but my native SBs aren't great. IX and XIII are realms I could definitely still use help in, although I am planning on pulling on Zidane OSB 2 during the next IX event. I have absolutely nothing for XIV, but I'm obviously pulling on the amazing banner dropping in a month and probably multiple times unless my first one is really really good so my synergy problems for that realm should get fixed whether or not I do the lucky draw. It's half-price, but lucky draws feel a lot less essential until we get the 'SSB or better' feature that Japan got a while back. I'm not sure what to do yet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SageAcrin posted:

Someone should tell people that the Black Mage spell "Sleep" is not actually a good way to apply sleep.

I mean, it's unintuitive as hell, so it's not like I can blame them.

Well I guess not everyone wants to bring a Ninja, so if someone else isn't bringing Phantasm it's as good a choice as any.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Oh, never mind, Sleep's rate is actually better than I recalled(30%).

Yeah, fair enough then. I mean, Sleep Buster is largely strictly better because it's same rate+some damage, but it's not like you'd be using either for damage at that point.

(Also I guess he blinds you so that could come up.)

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Ugh, now kinda wish I took Ninja/Celerity on OK before Combat. Phantasm would have been handy to use on him in MP since I have a free ability slot and it seems like no one wants to bring sleep abilities along.

My big complaint on multiplayer so far is that it seems like changing party composition is impossible after joining a room. I've read that if you change members, it doesn't get reflected on the screen but does apply to combat, but you also can't change anything on the new person. This becomes a problem when I want the new person to be using some of the stuff on the previous person (changing supports when someone else comes in with OK's Gauntlets, for example). Hopefully, this gets fixed in beta.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Watched two people whiff a BSB and an OSB on the little eyeball dude in the Dark Dragon fight, and then stupidly whiffed a Beryl Serpent on him. I guess those attacks are ranged too! Whoops. It works out, because the "Sorry! So Sorry!" sticker is my favorite. :negative:
Arc's instant-cast curaga is great in single player, but it is freaking AMAZING in multiplayer. A bunch of stuff is queued and people are hurting and then the trumpets sound, the heavens open, and everybody is better again.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

It mostly just seems unstable about properly visibly refreshing.

I managed to help get U+ down with a good team, but I swapped out my Phantasm spamming Ramza for Y'shtola(team had two Onions, a Phantasm Edge, and no Wall).

It properly updated that visibly, but didn't properly update the swap in to Dr. Mog until I swapped to Shellga, which in turn did not properly visual update, which led to another healer swapping to Shellga as near as I can tell. Oh well, it worked out.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

In my successful run of the U+ someone brought Phantasm to sleep the dragon, and some idiot woke it up like 5 straight times. You'd think maybe you'd catch on at some point but no. We still beat it easily but it didn't have to take near as long.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
I lost that dark dragon fight like 5 times before I got lovely and went full white mage.

Every team seems to open with multiple walls, so opening with Keeper's tome gave a first round total of +300% def / res with magic blink. THEN the buffs and debuffs went flying and it was a piece of cake after that. Also, earth resistant accessories, people ought to use them.

Curaise and Esuna are amazing for MO fights. Petrify is really annoying.

Entrust / wrath is amazing for MO too. It feels nice to give other people the ability to spam DPS :3:

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

AegisP posted:

Stepped into my first Ultimate with the Red Dragon fight.

Stepped out at full hp because oh my god Eiko's BSB is ridiculous.

I'm honestly salty that I don't have that one. I figured if Cecil popped it for RW he would have made the Nightmare Demon Wall much easier.

So I'm going to ask this again.

Which of the six-tier abilities are better than the others? What is viable?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
The earth resistance seems less important on dark dragon. Seems like the thing that always killed my groups was a badly timed aeroga or whatever that wind attack is. Had one run a few minutes ago where one in the beginning of the fight took out half our fighters before mitigation went up. Luckily, two white mages brought along revive spells.

Now I just really need to work on my XI and XIV synergy.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Munoma posted:

Generally, I've seen people agree on the following:

Meltdown is the best and only use for Black Crystals.
Snowspell Strike and Northern Cross compete for the same crystals but they're both better than average, Snowspell Strike due to its very high multiplier for a 2-hitter AoE attack and ability to hit two elemental weaknesses and Northern Cross because it has a lot of native users you don't need to mote up (which is relevant for CMs) and Stun is one of the only status effects that is allowed to work on bosses. Also, I did Dark Dragon U+ with someone who had it honed to R2 and it looks really cool.
Curada is a solid use for White Crystals, doubly so if you can rely on a Curaja strength Burst command for healing.
Mug Bloodlust is fine at R1 but it's one of the better 6* abilities and it's the only one I've been finding myself having any real use for so far.
Affliction Break is apparently really good in multiplayer and I can believe it, since status effects proccing is just really annoying in general and there's only so many Resist accessories. I don't have a single Petrify resist accessory, for instance.

Everything else not listed here I have not heard spoken of highly and so I would be careful about honing them. Personally, I want there to be a reality where Gaia's Cross/Demonsblood is viable, but I'm not sure if this one is it. One exception, or two, really: Neo Bahamut vs Valigarmanda is something which to my knowledge is moot right now because there just aren't enough Summon crystals to go around.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Munoma posted:

I'm honestly salty that I don't have that one. I figured if Cecil popped it for RW he would have made the Nightmare Demon Wall much easier.

So I'm going to ask this again.

Out of the ones currently available in Nightmare dungeons, I'd say the following three are worthwhile: Northern Cross (Celerity. Solid double hit damage, good status effect in stun, usable on several characters.), Meltdown (Black Magic. Triple-hit, fire/earth/wind-element spell, really strong overall.) and Curada (White Magic. Very strong heal, with 4 starting uses, applies a 2k health buffer on whatever the healed character already has.). Rest of the current skills are either kinda bad, or too situational in my opinion.

The Five Dooms event skills had more standouts, but iirc your last post on the topic made it sound like you might have not been around for that?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Anyone have a Global side Indomitable Blade RW they're running right now. I can't find one at all and I think it's what I'm gonna need to clear Doga and Unei.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I don't have Indomitable Blade, but I do have Exdeath's Grand Cross, which does the same runic effect. Shall I toss that up? (Also, have you tried checking FFRKCentral for codes?)

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

I don't have Indomitable Blade, but I do have Exdeath's Grand Cross, which does the same runic effect. Shall I toss that up? (Also, have you tried checking FFRKCentral for codes?)

Ah, yes, thank you. I've never used it before because I was always playing more JP side and could usually find what I needed in a few refreshes.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Someone mentioned they were 2 mythril short of a pull on the BSB lucky. The new multiplayer dungeons offer 6 mythril and there's 1h40min left to draw.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

kalensc posted:

Someone mentioned they were 2 mythril short of a pull on the BSB lucky. The new multiplayer dungeons offer 6 mythril and there's 1h40min left to draw.

It was FeralWraith and they haven't posted since noting they still needed two so who knows if they'll see. People also already pointed out they could pull by just dropping two dollars on it too, so if they were gonna pull I imagine they did.

In related news: loving poo poo that Dark Dragon 160 does not gently caress around, even if you do get a party that lets you keep it asleep.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So I now have an Earth Team mostly by accident.

Yang gives me Imperil Earth, Ingus and Maria give me two En-Earth BSBs, Onion Knight gives me Breakdowns and Vessel of Fate. Plus any White Mage and I'm good to go.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Ah christ, this Ultimate+ is actually a goddamn nightmare in multiplayer, at least when trying to use pick up groups. Last time, whatever tactics worked just fine, but now all those level 67 Clouds with Blade Beam, r1 Launch and r2 Armor Break are a goddamn liability that loses matches.

Kinda makes me wish I could kick people when I'm the raid leader. :(

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Attestant posted:

Ah christ, this Ultimate+ is actually a goddamn nightmare in multiplayer, at least when trying to use pick up groups. Last time, whatever tactics worked just fine, but now all those level 67 Clouds with Blade Beam, r1 Launch and r2 Armor Break are a goddamn liability that loses matches.

You can

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Finally I pieced together enough damage to beat up Necrophobe! (He did manage to kill Ramza in the third phase, but was too low on health to kill another character.) I would have preferred to draw OK's BSB, but with 10 hits (no BSB stats to push it to 11) Onion Slice could easily do oodles of damage. Ideally I should have had more 5-star skills like R3 Saint's Cross or R3 Thief's Revenge, but as of yet I don't have quite enough orbs to do so. (December's orbfest will change that, of course!) Hence it's nice to be able to eke out victory by tweaking my numbers just enough.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

LornMarkus posted:

It was FeralWraith and they haven't posted since noting they still needed two so who knows if they'll see. People also already pointed out they could pull by just dropping two dollars on it too, so if they were gonna pull I imagine they did.

In related news: loving poo poo that Dark Dragon 160 does not gently caress around, even if you do get a party that lets you keep it asleep.

FeralWraith posted:

Forgot that was an option, thanks for the reminder.

Goons, your peer pressure nets Rhomphaia for Fang (fairly certain I have all of her relics now), and Masamune-Shinuchi for Sephiroth. It certainly could've been worse. *is happy*

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

You only lose stamina if you win, right? I definitely want to try those multiplayer raids out, but I don't want to waste 60 stamina on fights if people are just flat-out trolling / bringing horrible abilities and being dumb as bricks.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

You only lose stamina if you win, right? I definitely want to try those multiplayer raids out, but I don't want to waste 60 stamina on fights if people are just flat-out trolling / bringing horrible abilities and being dumb as bricks.
-You only lose stamina when playing multiplayer if you win. If you're playing as a single player, even in multiplayer raid dungeons, you still pay stamina upon entering rather than upon winning.
-Remember that multiplayer stamina costs are different depending on whether you're the raid leader or just a participant. So for that difficulty 140 dungeon, the raid leader pays 60 stamina and all other participants pay 20 upon winning.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Huh. That does open options, then. Never found that on the UI.

I'll just feel incredibly lovely if I have to prune otherwise competent team members, just because they're the second and third SG-Tyro setup when there's no healer. All this would be a lot less annoying if changing party members and skills would work a bit more reliable, and I could just modify my own party according to need.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
Now that multiplayer is getting rewards and such I have been curious as to whether or not that there was a discord available for folks to do the events or if there's just a sanctioned Raid ID. Apologies if this has been asked before but I didn't see it mentioned much during my visits.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Attestant posted:

Huh. That does open options, then. Never found that on the UI.

I don't remember exactly where the button was, but I was able to boot someone by tapping around a bit after the guy joined my team and immediately went AFK

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LornMarkus posted:

Honestly, I've found that keeping Celes around with Curaise/Esuna and letting her BSB commands do the lifting for DPS has worked wonders.

Except for the first clusterfuck of an attempt I was in, where she got immediately doubletapped to death and then nobody would keep the dragon asleep and our one Tyro kept using Keeper's Tome instead of Wall and :supaburn:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Attestant posted:

If you're still trying feel free to drop a code and I'll join. Only got the completion on the one that worked, but I'll happily bring a Yuffie with Phantasm and Water Veil and a Garnet with Dagger of Resolve and Divine Guardian.

KataraniSword posted:

Honestly, I've found that keeping Celes around with Curaise/Esuna and letting her BSB commands do the lifting for DPS has worked wonders.

Except for the first clusterfuck of an attempt I was in, where she got immediately doubletapped to death and then nobody would keep the dragon asleep and our one Tyro kept using Keeper's Tome instead of Wall and :supaburn:

The party I got that kludged through it had a Cloud with Drawtilate and a Pecil using Paladin Force and exclusively Sacred Circle. The sad part is we did finish it, but the OK raid leader with Multi-Break never hit the dragon with it so we lost the three medals.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Changed my RW to Luneth BSB if people still need to do Mote Ahriman, the code is Qvdd. I will probably change it back to Paladin Force after the mote dungeons close because that seems to get more summons than SG.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
edit: nvm

Mithross fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Nov 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

LornMarkus posted:

If you're still trying feel free to drop a code and I'll join. Only got the completion on the one that worked, but I'll happily bring a Yuffie with Phantasm and Water Veil and a Garnet with Dagger of Resolve and Divine Guardian.

Thanks, but I managed to get it now. Rolled the dice and got a competent party with four casters that respected Sleep. Even with Sheepsong, Shellga, Protectga AND Wall.

• Locked thread