Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Apparently the bonus XP continues, though? I highlighted my XP bar and it said something like 700 hours left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Prism posted:

Apparently the bonus XP continues, though? I highlighted my XP bar and it said something like 700 hours left.

It looks like it runs till Christmas.

I hate Sith Warrior Chapter 3. It's garbage.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I would assume they'll turn off the xp boost when early access to the expansion starts.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Early access starts in a day or so and there's a duration of several hundred hours left on the buff if you mouseover your exp bar in game.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

It looks like it runs till Christmas.

I hate Sith Warrior Chapter 3. It's garbage.

Even the parts with Cool Uncle Vowrawn?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mercurius posted:

Early access starts in a day or so and there's a duration of several hundred hours left on the buff if you mouseover your exp bar in game.

Prism posted:

The timer is wrong on the XP bar, they mentioned it on the stream. 200% XP ends Tuesday.

Just about 24 hours til DvL ends! GO GO GO GO!

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

prefect posted:

He just has bad opinions, can't be helped.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

prefect posted:

I don't know what that is.

Baras's inevitable betrayal is lazily done. You survive for no good reason. As does your companion (I brought Jaesa as she's the one who would do the most damage without me around to hold her back). The game calls you dumb for walking headlong into a trap you knew was there but had to spring.

Working for revenge while everyone assumes you're dead could be a compelling story, but it's impossible to make work in this game. Within 15 seconds of the explosion you're back in an Imperial Base. You have a ship and companions, none of whom are to be trusted (the closest is Vette, a space pirate/thief I spent a good portion of the game electrocuting).

It's a scenario that should either be extremely restrictive or liberating for the player, or both, as you're no longer under the thumb of a powerful Sith Lord. But there is no change to the gameplay. There can't be. This is an MMO.

They stage what should be the most significant event of your character's life and the only effect is that you now follow the orders of two shady characters (whose role had never been hinted at before, you're supposed to accept it and move on) instead of one, when the latter at least a) was entertaining b) had leverage c) gave a certain level of autonomy, letting people live/die etc. and d) didn't send me to loving Belsavis.

Now you're just blindly following orders of randoms because they say they know best. At least threaten me a little bit you cowards.

In retrospect Chapter 2 wasn't very good either but it didn't fight it's own gameplay so apart from Broonmark it didn't bother me.

If I'd been able to act on the info I squeezed out a traitor and gone after Xerender on Hoth two planets early I could have finished up without ever meeting that animal.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

(the closest is Vette, a space pirate/thief I spent a good portion of the game electrocuting).

:mad:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
She's the only character that's managed to win me over. Everyone else I either hate from the start (most companions are recognisable because their first line of dialogue is a tone-deaf bit of backchat/"banter") or come to hate when I find out how disgusting their personality/sense of morality is and how little I can do about it.

The game allowed me to make her suffer far more than she deserved, so now we're bffs and she got a cool outfit.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Sassassin, the more you talk the more bad your opinions sound. I don't think you actually believe half of he things you say, because you make pubbies on the official forum's lore section sound well reasoned and argued.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

KittyEmpress posted:

Sassassin, the more you talk the more bad your opinions sound. I don't think you actually believe half of he things you say, because you make pubbies on the official forum's lore section sound well reasoned and argued.

You want to address any of my points or are you just happy accusing me of having some sort of agenda?

There are easier ways to ignore my posts if so.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
he's the guy who launched into tirades before about having to do both the planet and storyline quests to level because that is apparently the greatest burden a MMO player has ever faced. i can't decide whether he's poorly trolling or just that stupid.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

sassassin posted:

You want to address any of my points or are you just happy accusing me of having some sort of agenda?

There are easier ways to ignore my posts if so.

Everyone has opinions in the game, and thus thoughts on class stories and companions are completely subjective. Can't really argue with opinions.

The problem is, you do nothing but post about how terrible the game is, while you're playing it. You've posted the second most amount of posts in this thread, and yet almost all of them are "This sucks" "this is terrible" "this is completely unbelievable". It's okay to have opinions, but man, if I hated a game as much as you apparently hate this one, I'd quit playing it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Medullah posted:

Everyone has opinions in the game, and thus thoughts on class stories and companions are completely subjective. Can't really argue with opinions.

Then how are mine "bad" and "wrong" all the time?

quote:

The problem is, you do nothing but post about how terrible the game is, while you're playing it.

I've posted more positive things than you have in the last few pages.

quote:

You've posted the second most amount of posts in this thread

No way. Really?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Proud Christian Mom posted:

he's the guy who launched into tirades before about having to do both the planet and storyline quests to level because that is apparently the greatest burden a MMO player has ever faced. i can't decide whether he's poorly trolling or just that stupid.

I'm not an MMO player. I'm a person playing a videogame for a story.

When the game wants me to do things that make its story worse (like two concurrent and unrelated race-against-time missions) that's grounds for a quick rant on my favourite troll-free forums.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

I'm not an MMO player. I'm a person playing a videogame for a story.

When the game wants me to do things that make its story worse (like two concurrent and unrelated race-against-time missions) that's grounds for a quick rant on my favourite troll-free forums.

There are a few places where you'll get two "hurry up and do this" missions at about the same time. I think they usually involve companion quests.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Probably an extreme example. I can't think of any off the top of my head tbh.

It's been ages since I played the Jedi Knight story but that one really annoyed me with how urgent every class quest was made out to be. Sith Warrior is pretty relaxed at times, I did all of Alderaan's planetary concurrently and only the last mission felt like it was an imposition (as it's out of the way and a big deal).

It's nice to revisit the planets for those quests during class story intermissions, but at a normal levelling rate it's a job to keep up on levels during chapter one.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Right now you can safely just ignore the planetary missions and still well outlevel whatever planet it is.

I mean, I get how having two independent race against time missions can ruin ones ~immersion~ in the story, but then I repeat to myself "its just a game, I should really just relax"

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Just one day until early access! I have the 30th booked off work so I can come home tomorrow and play until I loving pass out like the huge goon that I am.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Patch notes are up!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Could be worse, guys. He could be bitching about the tracer missile animation.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Alter Ego posted:

Could be worse, guys. He could be bitching about the tracer missile animation.

Fair point. But then, who knows how many would resub were it to be changed back to original? :iiam:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

Fair point. But then, who knows how many would resub were it to be changed back to original? :iiam:

I GUESS WE'LL NEVER KNOW BIOFAIL :mad:

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Just one day until early access! I have the 30th booked off work so I can come home tomorrow and play until I loving pass out like the huge goon that I am.

Jinx. Emergency patch incoming.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I like that you can DISINTEGRATE items now. All caps, full stop. DISINTEGRATE.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Ah hell I put off my last tasks for chiss jedi ah craaaap

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bilirubin posted:

Right now you can safely just ignore the planetary missions and still well outlevel whatever planet it is.

I mean, I get how having two independent race against time missions can ruin ones ~immersion~ in the story, but then I repeat to myself "its just a game, I should really just relax"

If you can't get emotionally invested in a story what's the point?

Apathy is death. The moment I stop caring about what happens to my characters is the moment I stop playing (hopefully the Wood Elf DLC is out for Warhammer by then).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

quote:

Vanquish has been renamed Squelch

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sassassin posted:

If you can't get emotionally invested in a story what's the point?

Apathy is death. The moment I stop caring about what happens to my characters is the moment I stop playing (hopefully the Wood Elf DLC is out for Warhammer by then).

If Sith Warrior Act 3 makes you bitch this much, do yourself a favor and stop playing after the Rakata Prime flashpoint. It's all downhill from there.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Dely Apple posted:

Ah hell I put off my last tasks for chiss jedi ah craaaap

What do you have left? Isn't the deadline tomorrow?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I'd say quit playing at the end of Chapter 2 of virtually every class. Almost all of the writing just nose-dives from there.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cythereal posted:

If Sith Warrior Act 3 makes you bitch this much, do yourself a favor and stop playing after the Rakata Prime flashpoint. It's all downhill from there.

I haven't been doing flashpoints. The ones I've tried are too long and repetetive with all the combat, I get bored and quit.

Slim Killington posted:

I'd say quit playing at the end of Chapter 2 of virtually every class. Almost all of the writing just nose-dives from there.

Consular takes an odd turn the idea of gathering an ancient army is a bit out of left field, and put me off at first but builds to a nice finale, I thought.

The best part of the Trooper story Ava Jaxo is in Chapter 3 as well iirc.

Agent had some nice ideas but couldn't live up to them.

Overall I'd agree that the first two chapters tend to be stronger but 3 isn't a complete lost cause from what I've played.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Man I thought I had/would have had more time to finish this DvL stuff but man, time flies by and my time is in too much demand with family/friends/etc. I should be able to finish the KOTFE chapter 9 tonight (made it 1-7 last night) to finish Valiant Level, but I think there is no chance I can finish Champion level as I still have about 1/2 the flashpoints to do, and getting my SW to 65 (at like 20 right now) and the PVP stuff. Just not enough time and I have a hard time spacebaring through the Trooper stuff as well as have to run here and there for friggin everything.

So far realllly enjoying the story parts of KOTFE though. So much better than the Class Story stuff right off the bat. Bette graphics, voice, humor, etc.

Outside of missing Republic Prime and Jorgan, it really is a step up so far.

So I will have what, 40% XP boost armor total from getting to Valiant Level in the DvL bit, or can I complete part of the Champion level requirements and still get, some stuff? *oh crap, Eternal Level is required for the companion! What do I have to do to get to 65 in one evening once I get the last bits of my KOTFE done on my light side char? (And can I solo that 10 level Champion challenge req?)

And if that 200% XP boost ends tomorrow that is going to be a dickpunch to future playthroughs. Really that should have been permanent so the grind part of the MMO is pretty much nullified for those with jobs/family/etc. I know the XP boosters + armor will help some, but what I am guessing is 65% isn't 200% when all is said and done, so slow is going to be a bit slower.

Really wish I had gotten into the game earlier though. This has been a neat event and I would have probably shot for Legendary.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

sassassin posted:

I haven't been doing flashpoints. The ones I've tried are too long and repetetive with all the combat, I get bored and quit.

I've got bad news for you pal if you want to reach the expansion content without missing a massive chunk of the plot.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I've got bad news for you pal if you want to reach the expansion content without missing a massive chunk of the plot.

KotFE worked fine with only the briefest of summaries. A decent percentage of companion dialogue in the early chapters is there to remind players what happened.

The carbonite freezing destroyed some memories, it all lines up.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

EdEddnEddy posted:

And if that 200% XP boost ends tomorrow that is going to be a dickpunch to future playthroughs.

~730 hours remaining.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
While Sith Warrior was one of the best stories the game can offer, I do agree with you Sassassin, in that, most of it falls apart (or loses it's significance) when you can simply put it off and go back to doing other stuff because the game's greatest hindrance is that it got developed into an MMO just to try to compete with World of Warcraft.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 29, 2016

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I sort of agree with about some of the story not being really told well with this medium, but without heavy WoW-style phasing, I'm not sure how you'd make that work. I'm not sure how FFXIV does it, and I know The Secret World doesn't do it.

I also agree that a lot of chapter 3s just feel like we're just wasting some time before their endgame, because every class has to do Belsavis, Voss and Corellia, and basically have to do gymnastics for reasons for the character to go there (I feel like the Sith Inquisitor was guilty of this, but I'm not sure).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

sassassin posted:

~730 hours remaining.

Medullah posted:

The timer is wrong on the XP bar, they mentioned it on the stream. 200% XP ends Tuesday.

I thought it would last longer too, but apparently it won't.

• Locked thread