Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wow, I really appreciate you peeps thinking outside the box and tossing out suggestions. I was ready to just give up on it.

I ended up using a bit of Jazzzzz's advice, except that velcro wouldn't hold the puffball I have. So, I used some little 3m dual lock circles, sandwiched the wire I wrapped around the puff ball between it, and stuck that to the channel in the front fender.

Just in time for the last week of the semester! Let's see if it holds up on the highway tomorrow morning. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

I'm really sorry but that looks like a pair of fresh prairie oysters :D

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Lookit dat red booty on dat bike

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Coydog posted:

Wow, I really appreciate you peeps thinking outside the box and tossing out suggestions. I was ready to just give up on it.

I ended up using a bit of Jazzzzz's advice, except that velcro wouldn't hold the puffball I have. So, I used some little 3m dual lock circles, sandwiched the wire I wrapped around the puff ball between it, and stuck that to the channel in the front fender.

Just in time for the last week of the semester! Let's see if it holds up on the highway tomorrow morning. :D

I.R. Motorcyclist?

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

Don't mind me just posting so I can search my post history in this thread for something. Move along.

just click your username at the top left, at the end of the URL is &userid=195854

there you go. it's 195854

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Figured you'd guys would want to see my RD350 (with DS7 crap motor in it) before I tear it apart for the winter and put a SPECII/Scott Clough built RD400 engine in it with tuned SPECII expansion chambers.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Endbuster posted:

Figured you'd guys would want to see my RD350 (with DS7 crap motor in it) before I tear it apart for the winter and put a SPECII/Scott Clough built RD400 engine in it with tuned SPECII expansion chambers.

Take more pictures before you do!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Scott is the man, I had him do the bottom end on my F11, he does great work

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Scott is the man, I had him do the bottom end on my F11, he does great work

Scott did the bottom, SPECII did the top end and pipes at the same time for that sweet sweet correct tune. Mmmmm TZ crank bearings...

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
not mine lol but i helped my roommate plasti dip his bonnie hahaha

old:

new:

the old red was kind of tacky, especially on the side panels so idk im 50/50 on it. looks alright

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Nice. How'd you do the stripe?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I assume the stripes are stickers you buy by the length and put on top of the dip. I wondered about doing the same (with wrap) for a while and googled no end of wraps and stripes. Looks really good, although I'm curious about how long the plasti-dip lasts.

Ola fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 1, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

After the cowl on my SV650 flew off (RIP), I plastidipped it, and while it looked really good, my backpack rubbing on it wore a hole through the plastidip in a day

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Dip seems weirdly inconsistent like that. If you apply as many layers as they recommend it holds up well, provided the surface is relatively smooth and not jagged. Something like the edge of a previously-curbed car wheel or the lug nut wells, good luck getting it through a single season. :suicide:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That looks good, razzled. I mean, the red looked better, but that's a really good job. I want to do some fun plasti dip stuff on the spare set of plastics I have, but I worry about smoothness and durability. Did you do that with the rattle cans? How many layers?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Renaissance Robot posted:

Nice. How'd you do the stripe?

masking tape, newspaper and a healthy dose of OCD

we did about 3-4 coats per color and then 2-3 for metalizer on the white stripe and gloss

e: yup, rattlecans

Razzled fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 1, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Best way to do stripes is to order a chunk of car-wrapping vinyl and cut it into shape and stick it on. I like ORACAL 951M. Costs about 8 bucks for a 5'x1' strip (though some places will only let you buy it in 5'x5' sheets or larger, etc)

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
You can get nice vinyl racing stripes in any color including reflective; they work really well. I had them on my old bike and I forgot I wanted to add a Vette-grand-sport-style stripe to my Focus from the left over materials.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Going through my photos, turns out I don't really take them. Other people take them of me.

One of me having a "ride day" around Sandown raceway which basically turned into a track day. And the other is of me pulling up to a breakdown, I was riding with a group, a few of us wanted to go a bit quicker than the others so we went on ahead, waited up when the road straightened back out and called back to the tail end charlie and turns out the fellow on the green kwaka had an electrical fault. So we rode back to provide moral support(laugh at his misfortune). Next time I wash it I'll make sure I get a shot or two of it not in motion.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Chichevache posted:

Take more pictures before you do!

I actually hate the bar end mirrors as they are useless and will be returning to the buckhorn bars to the bike. That low bar is bullshit.

It will mostly look Just like this when its done. Dunno if I want to put a 400 tank on it or not. I have 3.

All these lovely fuel lines are getting replaced. They are UV damaged and already weep. Going to metal case lines... Along with the new wiring harness for the modern ignition.

Lel, rear drum brake. Its adjusted correctly but you gotta stand on it if you wanna use that fucker.

I have much newer rear shocks. Its a shame I can't use the DG swingarm, but who knows. I might be able to. I'd rather just sell it than modify it for a rear drum brake.

This is the donor bike I bought for 400 bucks. It had a lot more poo poo on it that slowly went to the Green 350. It also came with a ton of really old school Yamaha decals from the 60's and 70's, 2 more gas tanks, THAT DG SWINGARM, some lovely DG heads, RZ350 Wheels, RZ fairings, all really too much poo poo to list. The steering dampner and rearsets are dope as gently caress and will probably go on the 350.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 2, 2016

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Thank you for stopping the creation of another boring cafe racer

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Deeters posted:

Thank you for stopping the creation of another boring cafe racer

So the guy I got the can of worms from (I basically bought just so I could have an RD400 motor to breathe on) wanted to make some cafe thing. He already had the seat and everything.

But, In my opinion the RD's were meant to be overpowered small displacement UJMs. I hate the stupid loving bar end mirrors and the fact he flipped a bar upside down. The only reason I haven't put the buckhorn bar back on is because when I tear it down and restomod it I want to do EVERYTHING at once.

Cafe racers belong in italy going from coffee shop to coffee shop or on a loving race track. The only way I could fathom owning one is if it came like that from the factory.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Endbuster posted:

So the guy I got the can of worms from (I basically bought just so I could have an RD400 motor to breathe on) wanted to make some cafe thing. He already had the seat and everything.

But, In my opinion the RD's were meant to be overpowered small displacement UJMs. I hate the stupid loving bar end mirrors and the fact he flipped a bar upside down. The only reason I haven't put the buckhorn bar back on is because when I tear it down and restomod it I want to do EVERYTHING at once.

Cafe racers belong in italy going from coffee shop to coffee shop or on a loving race track. The only way I could fathom owning one is if it came like that from the factory.

I love UJMs, too. My last bike was a 150cc UJM, and I'm tempted to pick up the same bike again and do some resto-mod work on it (disc brake swap, maybe get a local shop to massage the engine a little). But, even here the cafe racer seems to be the thing to do to an old bike.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Go get the squish clearance and volume corrected on those DG heads so you can actually use them. Not because they're better for any reason but because they're cool as gently caress. Also dirtbike bar.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 3, 2016

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There are some pretty rough knicks on the mating surfaces. I have no idea what caused it but i can get a finger nail to hook in there. Also the jugs and heads are a matching set and I don't feel like dealing with SPEC-II again in the next loving decade.

I should really just sell the heads and use the money to get the DG machined to make with the 350 frame and drum rear. Not into updating the drum rear because 'deathmobile'

I recommend this PowerDynamo CDI because gently caress dealing with points and condensers.

Kehin 32mm carbs might be overkill... But whatever they were free and came off a Banshee.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a powerdynamo in my rv90, they're pricy but holy poo poo are they worth it for modern charging and electrics. Plus the rv90 went from 6v to 12v with The powerdynamo, which is awesome because gently caress 6v systems.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I bought a bike

It scoots

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I like your bike.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

I bought a bike

It scoots

A good bike that I have always liked, though never bought because everyone says it's boring. But secretly I don't believe them

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I thought about one at the time I was contemplating the bandit but couldn't find one that wasn't old, heavy on mileage and overpriced. I still like them.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

A good bike that I have always liked, though never bought because everyone says it's boring. But secretly I don't believe them

I feel the complete same. Ever since that video of the yelling south American guy ripping one through miles of gridlock traffic. Seeing those beautiful gauges while the inline howled was entrancing. It's such an elegant bike, too. That it comes with honda reliability doesnt hurt, either. I passed up a pristine grey one for 2700 a ways back that I still regret passing on.

Enjoy it and let us know if it's actually fun.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Coydog posted:

I feel the complete same. Ever since that video of the yelling south American guy ripping one through miles of gridlock traffic. Seeing those beautiful gauges while the inline howled was entrancing. It's such an elegant bike, too. That it comes with honda reliability doesnt hurt, either. I passed up a pristine grey one for 2700 a ways back that I still regret passing on.

Enjoy it and let us know if it's actually fun.

They're good bikes. The 1250 will power wheelie on demand, the chassis isn't spaghetti, the brakes work well, they're comfortable 2-up... I just never fell in love with mine. It was a solid bike that I had a lot of fun on.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
So far the 919 has been a blast, I need to pull of the sprocket cover to check if the PO changed the gearing because this little bike has quite a bit of torque. It pulls pretty good from 3k on. The standard position is very comfortable. The brakes work well. I will likely through in some stiffer front springs because the front forks feel a little soft for me. I think its great "old man" city bike. Lots of pull, very nimble, very comfortable.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I like the 599 a lot. I see Honda might be bringing the naked CB650 to the states so maybe I'll check that out in a few months

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Endbuster posted:

RDs were the purest of the Japanese sportbikes available at the time. My vague understanding of them is that they were pretty close geometry wise to the GP bikes of the time. I owned a '73 RD and a '71 R5 - here is the R5 when I got done with it:

I bought it in good cosmetic mostly stock shape, it needed a new charging system + the time to tune the pipes pretty much with guesswork + lots of other little poo poo. The jetting database on the R5 was a bit more limited, so I pretty much just bought a bunch of jets and played around with it.

I think the Hagon shocks were nice and I thought the moto carrera stuff was cool, especially because the guy was nearly local and his personal story is crazy - I met him in person when I bought the parts from him.
[url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rxiUOoXlxMcJ:https://www.motocarrera.com/index.php%3Fpage_id%3D2+&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us[/url]

I think you're making your life hard by bothering to swap in the RD400 motor. The bikes aren't fast, don't fart around with making a fairly slow bike slightly less slow. Just make it look cool and be super loving loud. Once I got my bike up and running with the charging system it was pretty darn reliable. It looks like the OMP is maybe blocked off on your bike? There is no good reason to not use it.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

n8r posted:

RDs were the purest of the Japanese sportbikes available at the time. My vague understanding of them is that they were pretty close geometry wise to the GP bikes of the time. I owned a '73 RD and a '71 R5 - here is the R5 when I got done with it:

I bought it in good cosmetic mostly stock shape, it needed a new charging system + the time to tune the pipes pretty much with guesswork + lots of other little poo poo. The jetting database on the R5 was a bit more limited, so I pretty much just bought a bunch of jets and played around with it.

I think the Hagon shocks were nice and I thought the moto carrera stuff was cool, especially because the guy was nearly local and his personal story is crazy - I met him in person when I bought the parts from him.
[url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rxiUOoXlxMcJ:https://www.motocarrera.com/index.php%3Fpage_id%3D2+&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us[/url]

I think you're making your life hard by bothering to swap in the RD400 motor. The bikes aren't fast, don't fart around with making a fairly slow bike slightly less slow. Just make it look cool and be super loving loud. Once I got my bike up and running with the charging system it was pretty darn reliable. It looks like the OMP is maybe blocked off on your bike? There is no good reason to not use it.

I really love that orange color. So creamcycle. Awesome bike man.

So, I guess you didn't see it but my RD350 has a shitbox gutless piece of crap no good DS7 motor in it. That means piston port induction. Its freaking awful. Aaaaaaaand the original 350 motor that burned up because oil pump failed is long gone.

Also the new engine bolts right in. Nothing crazy. Very easy. Only hard part will be loving with carbs over and over it get it right.

Yes it will be loud. I think the link you meant to send got messed up.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Ah:
http://tinyurl.com/hq4r3xq

Doug was an interesting dude - had a pretty decent business going despite being paralyzed from the neck down. I was surprised as hell when I met him because I had no idea.

The R5 had piston port, and I did not find it to be a big deal. Maybe it didn't make as much power as my RD or was more peaky, but I don't really think it was a huge difference. I think the Y boot is worth buying for the bikes, much else... eeeeeehhhh. I never really followed the model specific RD forums much, so I didn't get convinced that every single mod those guys like to do is worthwhile.

I think the biggest weak point on these bikes is the charging system. Once I got that all replaced with http://oregonmotorcycleparts.com/ parts, most everything else aside from jetting was smooth sailing. I found that the points were totally fine once I replaced them and timed the bike correctly. I am really bad with a multimeter - and replacing the little brushes and poo poo on the charging side of things was frustrating.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

n8r posted:

The bikes aren't fast, don't fart around with making a fairly slow bike slightly less slow.
Unless you're comparing it to a modern sport bike, I think you're pretty far off base here. Even a slightly modified RD is stupidly fast.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Unless you're comparing it to a modern sport bike, I think you're pretty far off base here. Even a slightly modified RD is stupidly fast.

I uh. Didn't want to be the one that called him out. But yeah, my motor has been heavily breathed on and will no doubt overpower the frame and brakes easily while power wheelying through every gear.

Intake reeds alone are a vast improvment over port piston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
We're talking stupidly fast because noodle frame and lol what brakes, right?