Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jerkface posted:

God drat theres an Olive Garden 1 minute away from my regal, imagine getting all the pasta I could want and then all the death stars i could want!!!

I'm in the 0-1 range for preferred number of both pastas and Death Stars, but I am glad their promotional effort has found its market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

how y'all getting tickets in the next 15 minutes? fandango?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
If judging by last year, I wont be able to get anything online because of the demand crush.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Got mine from the Alamo drafthouse mobile app with zero hassle

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Goddammit!

System is currently unavailable. Please try again later.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I got my every day pass, so pumped to eat pasta & steal death star plans every day for the rest of my life!!!!

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
Fandango got completely hosed in literally seconds.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Did these idiots not realize that Star Wars is a wanted ticket item? Episode 7 should have given them all the data they needed to prepare for this demand.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
Has an online launch of something ever not resulted in massive slowdowns and crashes? Also somehow I managed to get through. Bought 8 seats in the middle of the theater. :stare:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they figured on less demand since it's a "spin off".

Or more likely they don't care too much so long as people buy the tickets eventually.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The website was bad for a few minutes but eventually I just reloaded and got my 8 tickets fine. Perfect center row at a 70mm IMAX theater :getin:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

MrBigglesworth posted:

Did these idiots not realize that Star Wars is a wanted ticket item? Episode 7 should have given them all the data they needed to prepare for this demand.

Why don't they build the WHOLE PLANE out of black-box material?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm gonna wait a week or two to see the movie without having to stand in line, like a normal person.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Krazyface posted:

Why don't they build the WHOLE PLANE out of black-box material?

No.

Amazon AWS Cloud systems could have been prepped for this demand a week ago, then they could taper off as demand cooled.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm gonna wait a week or two to see the movie without having to stand in line, like a normal person.

I thought like every theater had reserved seating now

Serf
May 5, 2011

Haha, I'm trying to get tickets and now I'm in a line through Fandango, and the estimated wait time has gone from 19 minutes to 21 and then to 37

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

GonSmithe posted:

I thought like every theater had reserved seating now

AMC keeps waffling back and forth on it. I didn't get to reserve a seat for the Star Wars marathon and ended up sitting far right of one row

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

I don't know how but I got 8 tickets miraculously with perfect seats at an IMAX showing in Boston. The secret was buying it right from AMC's website and skipping Fandango altogether :getin:

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Marcus theater app worked fine after fandango crashed for me.

Also lol at going to any theater that doesn't have reserved seating and leather recliners.

Pops Mgee fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 28, 2016

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

jivjov posted:

AMC keeps waffling back and forth on it. I didn't get to reserve a seat for the Star Wars marathon and ended up sitting far right of one row

Found an AMC theater here in OKC that worked. Got tickets for 5pm on Saturday. We have a preferred theater that opened like 7 years ago, balcony seating, food and drinks. Never have been anywhere else until this situation.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Got tickets at my local theater, but Alamo wouldn't accept any of my payment options because the page kept crashing during processing :shrug: Good job making GBS threads the bed on this, you only had a full year to prepare.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Got my tickets. Good seats. Collectible Glasses. All I had to do was wait an hour, drink 2 tasty beers, and snag them.

Never use the internet people.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Got through the Fandango line, and the option to pre-order tickets for my theater is gone lol

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just went on Cineplex without issue at all. Thursday selling out fast - I bought Friday night tho.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I had no problem getting mine through Fandango. Well, I guess the page took 15 seconds to load, but there were no errors, and I had my pick of the seats.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Got perfectly positioned seats np, it just took each page 2 minutes to load oh and I have to go at 9AM on Friday :laffo:
gently caress the local IMAX for not having reserved seating so I went for the fake IMAX (XD) with the recliner chairs and whatever

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fake IMAX isn't too bad. I think they even lowered the price to 15 bucks, which is fine considering. I actually prefer fake IMAX over real because you get beers at the fake, and it's way less of a goddamn ordeal.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
7:40pm Thursday night session, on the 'xtreemscreen' in 2d. Noice. No midnight showing this year, other people said they were too tired last time. Tickets wnet on sale at 8am here and it was fine, still quite a few empty seats to the midnight sessions, I guess word will get out that they're on sale though and those will go pretty quickly.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Friendly Factory posted:

I've never really understood the hatred for the Marvel movies, either. They're standard action movies. They're not trying to be high art, they're just trying to show some explosions and poo poo. If you need movies to be something more that's fine, but it's not really the fault of any individual movie that they are that way. I also feel like the tone of the Marvel movies vary a lot more than people credit them, especially with cinematography. And that's not even mentioning the TV series', which all have wildly different tones and are still Marvel properties. If you want some fun action movies, Marvel ones are a decent bet.

I don't believe in a distinction between high and low art. The Marvel movies range from being dull and predictable to being standard, fairly entertaining action movies. Either way, I forget about them the moment I've left the theater. They're competently executed on a technical level and not actively bad, but not particularly good or novel in any way--just like TFA. It's purely a matter of taste and opinion whether or not this is something which satisfies you.

But I will say that even the Marvel movies which supposedly deal with heavy themes, like Winter Soldier, really only present an illusion of dealing with heavy themes. Winter Soldier presents itself as a paranoid thriller about creeping fascism within liberal institutions, which is indeed an interesting proposition, but in that regard it's only a one-trick pony. The beginning and end of its so-called examination of this theme is the reveal that SHIELD is actually HYDRA. That's basically it: "SHIELD is actually HYDRA. It's like the War on Terror and stuff! Isn't this just so shocking and contemporary and relevant, you guys?" It's not a terribly original or thought-provoking metaphor. It's low-hanging fruit. In contrast, the Star Wars movies don't just go, "The Republic is the Empire" and leave it at that. They examine why the Republic is the Empire, and go one further by relating it to basic issues of human psychology illustrated by various characters possessing different allegorical qualities within the narrative. The Republic is the Empire for the same reason that the hero characters are the villain characters, and the reason the hero characters are the villain characters is because of their shared humanity.

Why does Bucky become the Winter Soldier? Basically, the answer is because he was sci fi brainwashed. Compare that to the villain Count Dooku, whose character is infinitely more fleshed out with a single line stating that he's a political idealist, juxtaposed against the disparate but related political idealisms of the three main hero characters: Obi-Wan's manifested as a cynical disdain and distrust of politicians on an individual level, but counterbalanced by an unswerving ideological loyalty toward its larger institutions; Anakin's manifested as a faith in powerful and benevolent individual political actors like Palpatine, combined with a distinct antipathy toward collective democratic institutions, which he sees as plodding and impotent, and unable to make decisions in the best interests of the people; and Padme's manifested as a belief that belief itself, even in the face of all the Republic's flaws and imperfections, is the key to the survival of its ideals, even as she begins to see its great institutions as corrupt and transforming into something she ideologically opposes. All of these characters have a little bit of Count Dooku inside of them, and Anakin ultimately does become Count Dooku (and also Darth Maul, and General Grievous).

It's notable that all three hero characters political dispositions are analogized to the way they handle interpersonal relationships. Obi-Wan resents the Council's unfair treatment of Anakin in ordering him to spy on his friend the Chancellor, and believes in Anakin where the Council clearly does not, but puts his personal disagreements aside and loyally carries out the orders of the institution to a tee, leading to disastrous results. Anakin puts questions of personal loyalty, trust, good intention, and effectiveness above all other considerations, and this leads him to choose the fawning, "kindly", and justice-promising father individual who is Palpatine over the apparently self-interested, cold, and morally complacent collective that is the Jedi Council. Padme dies still believing in Anakin's goodness despite all he's done to break her heart, and it's this belief, which survives in her son Luke, which allows Anakin to live on and eventually be restored.

By constructing his characters in this way, Lucas provides the potential for finding greater and deeper insights about the central human issues at the heart of the film's political story. Literary qualities like these, combined with the creative and evocative visuals that are a necessity for any good film, are the kinds of things I believe make a film truly superior.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Nov 28, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Marvel films (and superhero films in general) are considerably less complex and more predictable than your standard action movie.

Even the most loudly celebrated outlier (Guardians of the Galaxy) in that subset of a genre is an identikit construction with a photoshop filter applied.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If you take the time and effort you can attach all sorts of thematic depth to virtually any movie. The Star Wars prequels are as deep and meangiful as you want them to be. They certainly don't warrant the amount of discussion they've garnered here.

And they've aged terribly.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Super Fan posted:

If you take the time and effort you can attach all sorts of thematic depth to virtually any movie. The Star Wars prequels are as deep and meangiful as you want them to be. They certainly don't warrant the amount of discussion they've garnered here.

And they've aged terribly.

Not really, I mean if the person you're talking to is speaking in earnest than their points only apply if they're logically coherent & cohesive. When people just make things up there isn't really the evidence to support them. Like if someone told you Oedipus The King is really primarily about the immorality of tariff law, maybe they could stretch some metaphors & try to defend that position but just looking at the text there's certainly going to be points that strongly suggest otherwise & by pointing those out you should be able to prove their interpretation wrong. Or, hell, maybe you can't and Oedipus really is about tariff law, you never know

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Hat Thoughts posted:

Not really, I mean if the person you're talking to is speaking in earnest than their points only apply if they're logically coherent & cohesive. When people just make things up there isn't really the evidence to support them. Like if someone told you Oedipus The King is really primarily about the immorality of tariff law, maybe they could stretch some metaphors & try to defend that position but just looking at the text there's certainly going to be points that strongly suggest otherwise & by pointing those out you should be able to prove their interpretation wrong. Or, hell, maybe you can't and Oedipus really is about tariff law, you never know

Yeah, that's kind of what's happening in this thread. It's almost embarrassing to read.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Super Fan posted:

Yeah, that's kind of what's happening in this thread. It's almost embarrassing to read.

Hmm, well personally I've been convinced by a lot of SMG & Cnuts hottest of takes on the Star Wars prequel trilogy. But I liked the movies already so you're talking to the wrong poster anyways

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
The real answer is that Marvel is the new Prequels. Something for nerds to complain about.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Oh hello Wilhuff.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

UmOk posted:

The real answer is that Marvel is the new Prequels. Something for nerds to complain about.

By "nerds" do you mean "somethingawful cinema Discusso forums posters"? Like if you want to see what most "nerds" think go find the film subreddit (well, don't) and watch em all gush over them. It's not even a consistent description of the ppl here because A. Like, the majority of the comic book movie thread is ppl saying they like those movies & B. there's praise for at least one of individual movies from almost every1
Anyways, I think they're all garbage as are most super hero movies not directed by Sam Raimi & Richard Donner 😈

(Guardians of The Galaxy I kinda liked and Batman v Superman as well but I shoulda seen the original cut of that I think)

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

By "nerds" do you mean "somethingawful cinema Discusso forums posters"? Like if you want to see what most "nerds" think go find the film subreddit (well, don't) and watch em all gush over them. It's not even a consistent description of the ppl here because A. Like, the majority of the comic book movie thread is ppl saying they like those movies & B. there's praise for at least one of individual movies from almost every1
Anyways, I think they're all garbage as are most super hero movies not directed by Sam Raimi & Richard Donner 😈

(Guardians of The Galaxy I kinda liked and Batman v Superman as well but I shoulda seen the original cut of that I think)

Like the Star Wars prequels. The majority of people liked them but a vocal minority was yelling over everyone to say how bad they were.

And we are all nerds. There needs to be a word for nerds who look down their noses at other nerds.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

UmOk posted:

And we are all nerds. There needs to be a word for nerds who look down their noses at other nerds.
The word for that is "nerds", OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The whole "not trying to be high art" thing weirds me out because it suggests ordinary human relationships and motivations are inartistic.

• Locked thread