Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

that's a three-parter

build the wall - define "wall"
drain the swamp - meet my new bff newt gingrich
i will accept the election results if i win - the popular vote was rigged against me
lock her up - nah
change my hairstyle - didn't do this
because i'll be too busy working - has avoided all work so far
in the white house - will not live in the white house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

Now imagine if Obama had wanted to take weekends off in Chicago at the cost of a million bucks a day to the taxpayers

You mean the Kenyan we just fired and gave his old job to the first rich white man to demand his papers on national television?

Never heard of him.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dolash posted:

I'd say the Trump era is ripe for fatalism and defeat, but I don't think he'd even make good noir - he's just too crass and dumb. You'd have your overarching conspiracy, your lone investigator, and then the goddamn Trump train smashes through the whole thing upturning everyone's carefully laid plans and not giving a poo poo about any of them. Absurdism I guess, like the futility of man's attempt to plan and control their world when nature / God / Trump will overturn it all arbitrarily.

lol everyone knows the mayor is loving his children and selling public assets to the highest bidder and no one gives a poo poo because a mob of retards can be convinced to burn down a local pizzeria because its a satanic cult

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Baloogan posted:

lol u and i both know he would be funneling that cash to the muslim brotherhood

Better them than the Russians and the KKK imho, at least with the MB the terrorisims it funds will all be overseas and not in my loving backyard

Dolash posted:

It might be, if he took that position. As-is, it looks more like he's going with "actually I did win the popular vote, bigly, because whatever votes my opponent got more than me were fraudulent."

He's not going to go nuts because a majority of voters don't actually support him, he's going to go nuts forcing that to be untrue and railing against anyone who claims that simple fact toward him.

True, but I think it's starting to dawn on him that nobody likes him or believes a single thing he says outside of his media bubble. I have no clue if this will bother him, or if he'll just settle into the echo chamber like every other Republican seems content to do. If I had to guess I'd say the endgame here is him dispatching the Army to force everybody to like him at gunpoint

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

trumspo is NOT MY PREZ until he shows us the long form tax returns!!!!!!!

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Phobophilia posted:

the problem is when a billionaire starts bankrolling every possible lawsuit against a publication, even if one of them sticks, you can basically commit barratry by proxy

i don't know if it's as big a mine canary as people think it is. i mean, yeah, keep an eye on this behavior but thiel wouldn't have been able to destroy gawker if they had simply taken the small step of not posting a sex tape that a person in the sex tape did not want posted. it was really easy to make this one stick because it was actually an abhorrent lapse in journalistic integrity that caused harm to others for no newsworthy reason.

the idea that it's a slippery slope and NYT and WaPo are next is absurd because they aren't run by a bunch of brooklyn hipsters making up the rules of journalism as they go along.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

i jkust wanna see the precedent used against right wing news sites now

anybody who runs with an o'keefe video for a start

I fuckin' wish Soros was half as evil as the right believed, we'd get a lot more poo poo done if so

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Phobophilia posted:

lol everyone knows the mayor is loving his children and selling public assets to the highest bidder and no one gives a poo poo because a mob of retards can be convinced to burn down a local pizzeria because its a satanic cult

Noir in the Trump era would be the investigator realizing the "conspiracy" was the random, uncoordinated actions of panicked government agencies working at cross purposes based on what they thought the "real plan" was, which in aggregate looked like deliberate action. Then when they try to bring this to the public they're scooped by social media and everyone blows it off in a weekend news cycle because the President goes on to do something ten times worse publicly and with no attempt to hide it.

Bush was the President you cast as the faux-folksy cover for the business and military elites, because that's what he was, but nobody'd seriously believe you could control Trump. I bet you could find actual life-or-death leverage on Trump and he still wouldn't have the discipline and self-control to toe your line, like the Russians actually have that hotel orgy video but every time they try to use it he just gets distracted half way through and they realize it's futile to try and blackmail the guy.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dolash posted:

Noir in the Trump era would be the investigator realizing the "conspiracy" was the random, uncoordinated actions of panicked government agencies working at cross purposes based on what they thought the "real plan" was, which in aggregate looked like deliberate action. Then when they try to bring this to the public they're scooped by social media and everyone blows it off in a weekend news cycle because the President goes on to do something ten times worse publicly and with no attempt to hide it.

Bush was the President you cast as the faux-folksy cover for the business and military elites, because that's what he was, but nobody'd seriously believe you could control Trump. I bet you could find actual life-or-death leverage on Trump and he still wouldn't have the discipline and self-control to toe your line, like the Russians actually have that hotel orgy video but every time they try to use it he just gets distracted half way through and they realize it's futile to try and blackmail the guy.

russian: *turns off video partway through* i think you understand the implications here

trump: hey i was watching that, i wanna know if the orange guy bangs that underage sex slave

russian: jesus christ

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i can only hope putin spite releases it after trump unilaterally nukes serbia

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

In terms of the whole noir being useless in a reality where Trump is loving president, I really think that new Dirk Gently adaptation hit at just the right time since it kicks around a story where both the protagonists and the antagonists have no idea what the gently caress is going on but things still keep falling into place anyway. That kind of storytelling is probably going to become much more popular now.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

RedneckwithGuns posted:

In terms of the whole noir being useless in a reality where Trump is loving president, I really think that new Dirk Gently adaptation hit at just the right time since it kicks around a story where both the protagonists and the antagonists have no idea what the gently caress is going on but things still keep falling into place anyway. That kind of storytelling is probably going to become much more popular now.

i remember really liking the first book even though i cant remember a thing about it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Dark Mysteries: Everyone Is Zapp Brannigan

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Dolash posted:

I will die on the hill that Burn After Reading is one of the Coen Brothers' best movies. It is basically this.

(spoilers: end of movie)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlA9hmrC8DU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dirk Gently adaptation? Man I can't even imagine how you'd do those books justice unless it was like a miniseries

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hudsucker Proxy was best Coen Brothers movie

or Barton Fink if you only judge movies by how great John Goodman was in them like I do

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

if you only judge movies by how great John Goodman was in them like I do

that's a pretty good criteria tbqh but he was also really good in big lebowski and even in his small part in o brother so basically what i'm saying here is that goodman + coen = good.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

should have given him a role in no country fro old men just because i want him to be in that movie so that it becomes even more inarguably a great movie.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I will die on the hill that Burn After Reading is one of the Coen Brothers' best movies. It is basically this.

(spoilers: end of movie)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlA9hmrC8DU

And I will die on that hill by your side :patriot:

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Iron Crowned posted:

And I will die on that hill by your side :patriot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Eh, most of my plans end with putting dollar bills in garters, not sure how I'll wind up dead doing that :shrug:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Epic High Five posted:

Hudsucker Proxy was best Coen Brothers movie
dunno if it's their best but it's definitely their most under-rated

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Eh, most of my plans end with putting dollar bills in garters, not sure how I'll wind up dead doing that :shrug:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

all coen brother movies are the best coen brother movies. except intolerable cruelty.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fidel Castronaut posted:

should have given him a role in no country fro old men just because i want him to be in that movie so that it becomes even more inarguably a great movie.

I couldn't get into that movie tbh, but if Goodman was in it I probably would have been able to so you're probably onto something

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

who'da thunk this would be the least surprising thing to happen this entire election.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fidel Castronaut posted:

who'da thunk this would be the least surprising thing to happen this entire election.

plus he was 100% correct in assuming that a Johnson/Weld ticket would implode and betray the Libertarian cause almost immediately

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:vince:

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

all coen brother movies are the best coen brother movies. except intolerable cruelty.

I still haven't seen that one.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

I couldn't get into that movie tbh, but if Goodman was in it I probably would have been able to so you're probably onto something

every day, you break my heart just a little bit more, epic.

NCFOM is basically some deplorables trying to cope with the crushing boot of global capital. i mean, i just came up with this just now so it could be bullshit but I think I might be right. I mean, if we want to talk about noirs with faceless forces that some guy tries to fight futilely, Chigurh is your man.

Iron Crowned posted:

I still haven't seen that one.

I saw it back in the day and remember not feeling anything about it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fidel Castronaut posted:

NCFOM is basically some deplorables trying to cope with the crushing boot of global capital. i mean, i just came up with this just now so it could be bullshit but I think I might be right. I mean, if we want to talk about noirs with faceless forces that some guy tries to fight futilely, Chigurh is your man.

It has Woody from Cheers in it!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I was super drunk and high when I watched it so despite having seen it, so I tend to withhold judgement

I also withhold judgement on There Will Be Blood for similar reasons

However I did see American Psycho for the first time super loving ripped out of my gourd and I feel like I actually got a better experience of it overall than a normie would have

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

we need a coen bros movie with norm

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I basically don't consume much movie media so the only planks I'm willing to walk out on with much vigor are that Wes Anderson is enormously overrated and David Lynch is loving awful and the cinematic equivalent of a half full cup of coffee on dispplay at a MOMA

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

we need a coen bros movie with norm

Norm and John Goodman I feel like could carry any movie, no matter how bad otherwise

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Sleekly posted:

Trump is gonna address the U.N. one day and it's gonna spawn a million memes

speech written by John Bolton.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

a reunion series of cheers written and directed by the coen bros

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

David Lynch is loving awful and the cinematic equivalent of a half full cup of coffee on dispplay at a MOMA

thats a really bad analogy

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Ladykillers remake was p bad

A Serious Man is generally pretty underappreciated imo, it nails the bleak comedy thing perfectly

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

daivd lynch is loving awful and the icnematic equivalent of a really bad unwatchable movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Epic High Five posted:

I basically don't consume much movie media so the only planks I'm willing to walk out on with much vigor are that Wes Anderson is enormously overrated and David Lynch is loving awful and the cinematic equivalent of a half full cup of coffee on dispplay at a MOMA

I have never been able to sit through a Wes Anderson film, although I disagree with you on David Lunch

• Locked thread