Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

MockingQuantum posted:

What are some good sci-fi novels that have truly weird aliens or non-Earth planets/ecosystems? I'm fine with stuff that isn't particularly "hard" sci fi. I've really liked books that are willing to let go of scientific rigor for the sake of really neat ideas. For example, I really dug the aliens in A Fire Upon the Deep (and to a lesser extent, A Deepness in the Sky), and some of the creatures in Hull Zero Three.
The Algebraist (that's the gas giant dweller book, I think)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

MockingQuantum posted:

What are some good sci-fi novels that have truly weird aliens or non-Earth planets/ecosystems? I'm fine with stuff that isn't particularly "hard" sci fi. I've really liked books that are willing to let go of scientific rigor for the sake of really neat ideas. For example, I really dug the aliens in A Fire Upon the Deep (and to a lesser extent, A Deepness in the Sky), and some of the creatures in Hull Zero Three.

I liked The Gods Themselves by Asimov. Feels kinda relevant these days, though it kinda falls apart in part three.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

gvibes posted:

The Algebraist (that's the gas giant dweller book, I think)

Seconding this.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

DirtyRobot posted:

This has almost certainly been mentioned in this thread, but I can't find it here or elsewhere. So, here goes...

Does anyone know who it was (originally, at least) who talked about how characters in science fiction shouldn't be awkwardly commenting on the amazing technology they're using? I want to say that the paradigmatic example used is Kirk and Spock stopping and talking about the automatic doors in TOS.

The idea behind it isn't "don't do awkward info dumps," but rather, "if you're not doing an awkward info dump, don't awkwardly shove it into the dialogue."

Is this just a truism, or is there an actual quote somewhere? (Apologies for the vagueness; it's probably why I can't find it.)

Raymond Chandler has this classic:

quote:

Did you ever read what they call Science Fiction? It's a scream. It is written like this: "I checked out with K19 on Aldabaran III, and stepped out through the crummalite hatch on my 22 Model Sirus Hardtop. I cocked the timejector in secondary and waded through the bright blue manda grass. My breath froze into pink pretzels. I flicked on the heat bars and the Brylls ran swiftly on five legs using their other two to send out crylon vibrations. The pressure was almost unbearable, but I caught the range on my wrist computer through the transparent cysicites. I pressed the trigger. The thin violet glow was icecold against the rust-colored mountains. The Brylls shrank to half an inch long and I worked fast stepping on them with the poltex. But it wasn't enough. The sudden brightness swung me around and the Fourth Moon had already risen. I had exactly four seconds to hot up the disintegrator and Google had told me it wasn't enough. He was right."

They pay brisk money for this crap?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Well, he got Google right, anyway.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
He got a lot more than that right. Grab a bunch of SF mags from that time or earlier and you'll see plenty of that sort of garbage.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 26, 2016

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PupsOfWar posted:

Finished Godspeed by Charles Sheffield.

Enjoyed it. Nothing to write home about, in particular, but it had a sort of enjoyable "Heinlein without the baggage" feel. Specifically it felt like you took a Heinlein juvenile novel, expanded it a bit and removed all the awkward Heinleinian proselytizing.

David Gerrold has a series inspired by the Heinlein juveniles too. Jumping off the Planet, Bouncing off the Moon, and Leaping for the Stars are a trilogy about a dysfunctional family that tries to flee a collapsing Earth society. There's some excellent world building, some actual science, not enough SF novels take place on a space elevator, and the characterizations are excellent. It's some of Gerrold's best work.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
How often do they have sex with each other though? This is important because :heinlein:

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I just finished the fourth book of the Lightbringer series. Man, what a downer. After really enjoying the first three, this one was a bit of a slog. So little actually happens compared to the previous books. There was one solid "holy poo poo" reveal, but dozens of useless chapters.

I really hope the fifth book is the last and provides a more satisfying conclusion.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I need a new series.
I likes space ships, space marines, aliens, time travel, etc... I love some me some universe building.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Xotl posted:

He got a lot more than that right. Grab a bunch of SF mags from that time or earlier and you'll see plenty of that sort of garbage.

They paid by the word so there was every incentive to pad the poo poo out of your stories.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Aggro posted:

I just finished the fourth book of the Lightbringer series. Man, what a downer. After really enjoying the first three, this one was a bit of a slog. So little actually happens compared to the previous books. There was one solid "holy poo poo" reveal, but dozens of useless chapters.

I really hope the fifth book is the last and provides a more satisfying conclusion.
Yeah I finished it a few weeks ago and this was just not a good book and very disappointing compared to how much I liked the previous books.

Pacing was all over the loving place, Weeks was trying to "advance time" every chapter for some reason (I guess so it didn't have 24 TV show esque problems) but it was really jarring and didn't flow right. Chapters flipped from one to another and anything that occured just felt cheap and meaningless for some reason. Not to mention a lot of the plottwists were taken too far to even be cared about (i.e. Kips father, like.. really, really? does that even make a difference to the plot? And for all Andross knows, it still could have been Gavin's if he raped her shortly after. But even then it weirdly doesn't fit in with the first books at all still).

I think what happened is it was supposed to be the final book, but not quite enough happened previously to position everything where he wanted in his Plot Outline like a chess board in order to finish it, and this was to accelerate everything so it matches up. End result is welp

Xaris fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 26, 2016

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Rocksicles posted:

I need a new series.
I likes space ships, space marines, aliens, time travel, etc... I love some me some universe building.

Neal Asher. Start with The Skinner.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cheers ! Can you give me the skinny on this timeline reading order?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Start with The Skinner and read through the Spatterjay trilogy if you like it.

If you really like it give Gridlinked a try and then read the Agent Cormac series. Then you can start picking at the standalones in the universe if you're really into it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Antti posted:

Start with The Skinner and read through the Spatterjay trilogy if you like it.

If you really like it give Gridlinked a try and then read the Agent Cormac series. Then you can start picking at the standalones in the universe if you're really into it.

This man knows what's up. Skinner is definitely the best intro.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

a foolish pianist posted:

Neal Asher. Start with The Skinner.

I was going to say War Dogs. Meets OP's reqs with a side of PTSD.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Just finished The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly, not an author I've ever heard of before, but I have a massive TBR list on Goodreads and sometimes splurge on Abebooks just to keep a steady influx of books in the mailbox. It was surprisingly quite good. Written in the sense of a children's fairtyale but it's more like a dark adult urban fantasy. It flags a bit in the second half, but definitely worth reading.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

freebooter posted:

Just finished The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly, not an author I've ever heard of before, but I have a massive TBR list on Goodreads and sometimes splurge on Abebooks just to keep a steady influx of books in the mailbox. It was surprisingly quite good. Written in the sense of a children's fairtyale but it's more like a dark adult urban fantasy. It flags a bit in the second half, but definitely worth reading.

Book of Lost Things is great but his Parker novels are his best work by far and I cannot recommend them enough.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Biplane posted:

Book of Lost Things is great but his Parker novels are his best work by far and I cannot recommend them enough.
Really? I've read three upon a friend tauting them as the best thing ever and they frankly felt really flat and boring. Just couldn't be brought to care about the characters or plot.
I like Book of Lost Things, though.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I thought they were all great and not boring at all :(

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
My wife and I have been playing the Eldritch Horror board game a lot recently. It draws on a lot of Lovecraft's setting and creatures and well, now I want to read some weird fiction. I'm not opposed to reading Lovecraft himself, but would prefer something newer and from someone less xenophobic. Should I just dig more into China Mieville's stuff? I really enjoyed Perdido Street Station. But anything with people going up against unsettling cults or crazy otherworldly monsters/deities is cool.

I also want to gush over Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. I'm nearly finished with it and am just in love with it and all of the awesome characters. Really great read.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Charlie Stross' Laundry books sound like what you want.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

apophenium posted:

My wife and I have been playing the Eldritch Horror board game a lot recently. It draws on a lot of Lovecraft's setting and creatures and well, now I want to read some weird fiction. I'm not opposed to reading Lovecraft himself, but would prefer something newer and from someone less xenophobic. Should I just dig more into China Mieville's stuff? I really enjoyed Perdido Street Station. But anything with people going up against unsettling cults or crazy otherworldly monsters/deities is cool.

I also want to gush over Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. I'm nearly finished with it and am just in love with it and all of the awesome characters. Really great read.

Definitely ready The Scar. It has minimal ties to the story of Perdido but has a lot of the same weird otherworldliness to it. Maybe more.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Go all in and get the Weird collection edited by the Vandermeers. Lots of content

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

apophenium posted:

thomas ligotti

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

FastestGunAlive posted:

Go all in and get the Weird collection edited by the Vandermeers. Lots of content

The Southern Reach Trilogy is a good start and probably Vandermeers best work.. A lot of places just sell an omnibus for it. One thing to know about Vandermeer is that his characters often just feel like a point of view and rather weak. You should read his work for the weird, creepy stuff he comes up with. There is also a big adaptation for it coming next year by Alex Garland the director of Ex Machina and Natalie Portmann is in it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Ulio posted:

The Southern Reach Trilogy is a good start and probably Vandermeers best work.. A lot of places just sell an omnibus for it. One thing to know about Vandermeer is that his characters often just feel like a point of view and rather weak. You should read his work for the weird, creepy stuff he comes up with. There is also a big adaptation for it coming next year by Alex Garland the director of Ex Machina and Natalie Portmann is in it.

I still haven't read past the first book but if handled well it could be a real mindfuck of a movie. Even in the first book there's a bunch of what the poo poo stuff.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I actually finished the Southern Reach trilogy about a month ago. It was really enjoyable. The second two books were really different from the first though. Could definitely see people bouncing off the second book expecting another weird creepy story.

So maybe I'll check out Vandermeer's anthology thing. Thanks everyone!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

WarLocke posted:

I still haven't read past the first book but if handled well it could be a real mindfuck of a movie. Even in the first book there's a bunch of what the poo poo stuff.

Ya when I read it I thought it would do really well as psychological/horror kinda movie. The main concerns I have is that the book really doesn't have much dialogue, like 90% of it is inner monologue of how the main character feels. I have faith in the director so far. He wrote 28 days later, sunshine and directed Ex machina all which were great. They all have some sort of psychological horror element in them so I think he will do well. Picking Natalie Portmann for the role is weird because they could have just gotten some random actor or less paid since there isn't much lines for them to say anyway.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ulio posted:

Picking Natalie Portmann for the role is weird because they could have just gotten some random actor or less paid since there isn't much lines for them to say anyway.

Just rewatched V For Vendetta today, and was reminded that Portman can act when she isn't called Padme. I'm sure Annihilation is going to be a big budget film, so the studios probably insisted on a name actress to draw people in. I think Portman will do fine.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Natalie Portman is a really good actress.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

andrew smash posted:

thomas ligotti

second this, also Laird Barron

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

occamsnailfile posted:

second this, also Laird Barron
The Library At Mount Char by Scott Hawkins is pretty fun.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

coyo7e posted:

The Library At Mount Char by Scott Hawkins is pretty fun.

Was about to suggest this. Very nice fit for the request, and just a fun book in general.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Well I just finished Bridge of Birds and, no surprise, loved it. How do the two follow-ups compare?

I totally lost it at the part where Ox and Kao and Shen escape from a giant invisible spider via jury-rigged bamboo helicopter. Just so great.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

apophenium posted:

I know there are mixed reviews, but I did like Revival by Stephen King.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Picked up Redshirts by Scalzi the other day, and I really don't know what to make of it. Worth finishing?
The Star Trek direct tie in annoyed me quite a lot

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Daktari posted:

Picked up Redshirts by Scalzi the other day, and I really don't know what to make of it. Worth finishing?
The Star Trek direct tie in annoyed me quite a lot

I liked it, but I know a lot of people didn't like this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

apophenium posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LEQBXB4/

We are all completely fine by Daryl Gregory is pretty good. It's a story about a therapy group for survivors of cults and killers and just overall weird poo poo, and then it gets a bit... weirder.