Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Note: this is about a RPer sad that their terrible community is drying up.

The games still dying but this is about the RP perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011
Got this on the humble bundle. I was always interested in Funcom's age of conan. This looks even more promising,.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

Note: this is about a RPer sad that their terrible community is drying up.

The games still dying but this is about the RP perspective.

No mention of the Horned God's dickgirl population. That's why the pub was so full, Natalie!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

poptart_fairy posted:

No mention of the Horned God's dickgirl population. That's why the pub was so full, Natalie!

If I were a RPer I would have hung out around the Communist goblin.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Len posted:

If I were a RPer I would have hung out around the Communist goblin.

Blajini. He is a Blajini.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Dandywalken posted:

Blajini. He is a Blajini.

Look just because you don't agree with his politics doesn't mean you have to resort to personal attacks.

:v:

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 26, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

:haw: Get wrecked you RPing dickhead. (to clarify: the Vice person)

Also who the hell expects a backwater mission hub that nobody ever has reason to revisit to be have players hanging around it? RPers, that's who.
(I've never seen players RP in game ever and I've played TSW since it went B2P, maybe they just suck at meeting people outside their lovely little cliques?)

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 26, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

DancingShade posted:

:haw: Get wrecked you RPing dickhead. (to clarify: the Vice person)

Also who the hell expects a backwater mission hub that nobody ever has reason to revisit to be have players hanging around it? RPers, that's who.
(I've never seen players RP in game ever and I've played TSW since it went B2P, maybe they just suck at meeting people outside their lovely little cliques?)

That isn't even the coolest mission hub to hang out in. It's small and bland. London is probably the best bet since it's the only city that's actually got things in it. New York and Seoul are worthless unless you're Lumi or Dragon

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

That isn't even the coolest mission hub to hang out in. It's small and bland. London is probably the best bet since it's the only city that's actually got things in it. New York and Seoul are worthless unless you're Lumi or Dragon

I suspect that like many RPers in many MMOs they never actually develop their characters because all their time is spent drinking fake beer at a bar telling people about their drow/vampire/dragon heritage.
The second zone on the starter island may have been as far as they got :v:

I never go to London anymore since I can get everything I need in New York and the Pyramid is a cool place where the nice man on the loudspeaker reminds people about their mandatory drug injections.
New York streets though... unless you want to spend lucky coins or get plastic surgery then no reason to go out there. It is however a nice break seeing a "normal" looking street though after all the disaster zones and non humans casually going "sup?" in most other places.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I found RPers in the one mansion where the widow lives in Innsmouth, and told them I was delivering a shipment of Illuminati autism-causing vaccines I needed a signature for and was told OOC to leave.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dandywalken posted:

I found RPers in the one mansion where the widow lives in Innsmouth, and told them I was delivering a shipment of Illuminati autism-causing vaccines I needed a signature for and was told OOC to leave.

You did good work.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I started playing this game after the recent bundle sale. I'd always been interested in it, and now I'm annoyed at myself for not playing it before, I really like it. Are the quests different depending on what faction you are? I don't know if the questline with Illuminati priest guy who is part of VERY EXCLUSIVE FORUMS is only because I chose Illuminati or not. If they are different, man did I ever make the right faction choice, this guy is hilarious. I find myself actually paying attention to all the quest text and openings in this game, which is quite a surprise from an MMO. The combat is a little eh but it's not so bad that I can't find some base enjoyment of it.

Overall having a good time! I just hope I can do most things solo. I found what looked like a dungeon portal or something in the first zone and didn't go in because it gave me like a SUPER DANGER warning. Are those possible solo? If not, is there anything cool (storywise) gated behind them?

My only complaint with this game is the limitation on only being able to hold one main quest and three sidequests at once. Leads to a lot of annoying running back and forth.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Most of the quests in the zones differ only in the messages you get from your handler.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dandywalken posted:

I crashed a wedding dressed in a speedo, fairy wings, and a unicorn mask. I did /graffiti to the bride and then when she asked me to stop tried to RP as a unicorn surprised I could be seen. The bride didn't find it as funny as me.

They got lucky though because my original plan was to kite padurii into the ceremony.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Infinity Gaia posted:

Overall having a good time! I just hope I can do most things solo. I found what looked like a dungeon portal or something in the first zone and didn't go in because it gave me like a SUPER DANGER warning. Are those possible solo? If not, is there anything cool (storywise) gated behind them?

There are nightmare areas and lairs within zones, and then there are separate dungeon instances. Lairs etc. within the open world sometimes have missions with a little bit of story to them, but they're mostly just there for a group challenge (mainly a world boss). You don't miss much by skipping, but worth doing if you notice a group already going to just tag along with. Dungeons should definitely be experienced.

The stories are cool and tie into the overall arc for the zone, and dungeon design is excellent--really some of the best I've ever seen in an MMO. When you have endgame gear you can solo the normal mode of most if not all. There's also a harder difficulty for the dungeons with endgame gear, so there's always incentive to run them later. There's a group-finder tool and on weekends it's usually a pretty fast queue and you can still run missions while you wait.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Infinity Gaia posted:

I started playing this game after the recent bundle sale. I'd always been interested in it, and now I'm annoyed at myself for not playing it before, I really like it. Are the quests different depending on what faction you are? I don't know if the questline with Illuminati priest guy who is part of VERY EXCLUSIVE FORUMS is only because I chose Illuminati or not. If they are different, man did I ever make the right faction choice, this guy is hilarious. I find myself actually paying attention to all the quest text and openings in this game, which is quite a surprise from an MMO. The combat is a little eh but it's not so bad that I can't find some base enjoyment of it.

My only complaint with this game is the limitation on only being able to hold one main quest and three sidequests at once. Leads to a lot of annoying running back and forth.
The epiphany they expect you to have regarding the mission limits is not to treat the zones like they have traditional mission hubs and clear each spot of missions one by one but to take one mission and then when it ends, find another nearby. As for the dungeons, I can't recommend them enough. The group finder is pretty decent, it'll notify the rest of your group that someone has never been to the dungeon before and give everyone a currency bonus at the end for helping a first timer.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
One's first time in the Polaris dungeon is incredible. All the time you're thinking "why aren't dungeons in other games this good?" and "I hope the other dungeons are as good as this one".

Yes. Yes they are!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

DancingShade posted:

One's first time in the Polaris dungeon is incredible. All the time you're thinking "why aren't dungeons in other games this good?" and "I hope the other dungeons are as good as this one".

Yes. Yes they are!

Except Hell Fallen. That dungeon was never fun although that may be because my first time in was during a point it was a suuuuuuper buggy mess.

The final boss would teleport out of the arena so you couldn't do anything about it. They had his z coordinate wrong so he would just leave the map. You had to cheat the terrain and jump through a hole in the wall that shouldn't be there and send a person out to the nothing he teleported too where they would have to solo dps his health away since once he got out there his SO would break and hr would just sit still. I'm pretty sure the hole got fixed before the boss too.

And there's this point with two machine tyrants and one of them is supposed to become invincible and sit still. Instead he would become invincible and still attack players because gently caress you.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Len posted:

I crashed a wedding dressed in a speedo, fairy wings, and a unicorn mask. I did /graffiti to the bride and then when she asked me to stop tried to RP as a unicorn surprised I could be seen. The bride didn't find it as funny as me.

They got lucky though because my original plan was to kite padurii into the ceremony.

I really ought to have joined in instead of asking you to raid, I remember that wedding better than the Lurker.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

I really ought to have joined in instead of asking you to raid, I remember that wedding better than the Lurker.

You gotta tank swap at ten stacks of the thing, and then there's phase two with the adds and then the filth chickens, and then the third phase is where we all die right?

I started this post thinking "man I remember the lurker" but no I really don't. Is there another add phase before the named NPCs come in and buff everyone?

Edit: I'm pretty sure I could still do Ankh including regularly wiping the party by standing in Mellys Blindspot.

Len fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 27, 2016

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Another bit of advice is don't hesitate to ask for help in #sanctuary chat if you need help. Most missions are fine with some notable exceptions. You'll need party (use group finder) for dungeons and you absolutely should do them as soon as you come across the dude who gives you the dungeon quest (purple icon). I would advise using group finder instead of asking goons/guild to pull you through.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
TSW Database:
http://www.tswdb.com/

Seriously, some of the quests in this game are nigh-on impossible to solve without some help. TSWDB is by far the best place to look when you can't figure out how to solve a quest.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I always liked the mission guides on unfair.co

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Brave New World posted:

TSW Database:
http://www.tswdb.com/

Seriously, some of the quests in this game are nigh-on impossible to solve without some help. TSWDB is by far the best place to look when you can't figure out how to solve a quest.

This isn't a joke either. Unless you can literally translate ancient languages or have Sherlock Holmes deduction skills you'll need help from an internet guide for more than one investigation quest.

Feels pretty good when you do figure one out though.

"Here's an obscure clue and no objective marker, off you go!" *kicks you out the door*
(also some investigation missions take place across multiple zones)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah, I'll probably need that eventually, even though I'm currently still doing good at getting through every investigation quest on my own. I even managed to piece together that I needed to die and be in ghost form for one of them, which has me stupidly proud. I haven't been able to play a lot since that post, but will definitely keep all the advice in mind!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Give every investigation quest a chance before you run to a guide, though - they're easily one of the most interesting things about the game and part of what I find most appealing about TSW. Some of them are definitely pretty complex, but the impulse you should have is to google around and research, not to go to gamefaqs.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
In my experience the investigation missions are all totally doable without using a guide, though the later ones tend to be "use google translate for twenty minutes" rather than actually solving anything. Oh and gently caress the origami one in Tokyo. I get that the idea is "you can read the message if you fold the paper the right way" but they should've done it with coordinates rather than having you draw a fuckload of japanese characters into google translate. :v:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Are there enough players to queue as a DPS in the dungeons (just got the Polaris mission), or should I start putting points into tanking?

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

DancingShade posted:

This isn't a joke either. Unless you can literally translate ancient languages or have Sherlock Holmes deduction skills you'll need help from an internet guide for more than one investigation quest.

Yeah, like I needed to learn Morse code at one point. Fun as hell though.

Mr E posted:

Are there enough players to queue as a DPS in the dungeons (just got the Polaris mission), or should I start putting points into tanking?

I played through as a tank a few years ago and never really had any problem getting groups. Mostly, there were a lot of DPS and few Tanks/Healers in LFG queues. If you want to specialize in Tanking TSW is more gear dependent than other MMORPGs, but some Weapons trees are better than others (Sword & Hammer iirc with AOE & Impairs).

I am thinking of re-rolling an alt & starting fresh since it's been years since I played regularly. Any servers have a larger goon presence than others?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Kumo posted:

Any servers have a larger goon presence than others?
Server choice is meaningless, you've always been able to group & join guilds cross server and they've even merged them all for PVP now too I believe.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

If you want to get into ranking blade/chaos/hammer are the trees to go for that. My personal favorite ended up being hammer/blade but every now and then I would sub in chaos for blade because it's just fun to use.

As a new tank I would suggest blade/chaos because it gives you the most bang for your buck with hate gen and theres a plethora of impairs to use as well.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

when you hit the text adventure in real life investigation quest feel free to use a guide though, because it's so poorly coded you'll spend ten minutes just inputting commands into the stupid box trying to find the right one the devs thought of that will let you proceed

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kessel posted:

when you hit the text adventure in real life investigation quest feel free to use a guide though, because it's so poorly coded you'll spend ten minutes just inputting commands into the stupid box trying to find the right one the devs thought of that will let you proceed

Raiser, Cheston, and I did that as group and we slowly went from "this is neat" to "loving Funcom" and just cheating because seriously gently caress Funcom.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I feel like the investigation where you're asked to translate morse code should have a little button like. "That's Morse code!" and then your character holds up her phone and decodes it for you. And I think the browser link in the game should have a silent exception to hide any Secret World information. Like. When you look up Vivaldi, there's a fat tswdb link right beneath his wiki page.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Investigation missions are hit or miss, but giving every one of them an honest try on each step before you give up and google the answer instead of research is the only way you'll get to experience probably the best quests any MMO has ever made. Not that that's a particularly high bar, though.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Also, get a notebook and write all your working notes and solutions down in it as you go. Your family/friends/significant other will think you're a satanist if they ever find it afterwards :haw:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Mercurius posted:

Also, get a notebook and write all your working notes and solutions down in it as you go. Your family/friends/significant other will think you're a satanist if they ever find it afterwards :haw:
You know all those diaries John Doe has in Seven? Investigation mission spoilers. :v:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Mercurius posted:

FYI the Old Norse runes on the Darkness War loading screen do roughly translate to Darkness War. This message brought to you by my satanist notebook.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Maaaaaan DW I forgot all about the story behind it. You smoke peyote and go on a vision quest where you fight Mayans in Maine and Vikings who stole Excalibur are there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I still think Polaris is the best intro to MMO dungeons ever.

Oh you thought you finished? Hell no, it's Cthulhu time.

• Locked thread