Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Picked up Odin Sphere Leifthrasir since it was on sale and wow, they really took out all the stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Literally, in this case, since the game is so much faster.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs6Awdc9pAI&t=124s

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
With my birthday money I bought a steam link, a steam controller, Doom, and a few other games on sale. It's been a good November!
Also I really, really like the steam controller. Going to be awesome when my link gets delivered and I can be really lazy! :D

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VideoGames posted:

With my birthday money I bought a steam link, a steam controller, Doom, and a few other games on sale. It's been a good November!
Also I really, really like the steam controller. Going to be awesome when my link gets delivered and I can be really lazy! :D

Doom is super fun :thumbsup:

Also steam controller is pretty solid. Some people hate it but its pretty ideal as a FPS controller that isn't a mouse.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

VideoGames posted:

One day I will get the Steam controller, I swear.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Palpek posted:

One day I will get the Steam controller, I swear.

My favourite thing about it so far are the buttons on the back. It's such a simple thing but goes a long way to making some actions so much easier.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I would buy a Steam controller immediately if it was compatible with a PS4. I could then play some FPS games on it that are dead on the PC. I hate playing FPSes with the regular controllers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Steam controller is pretty meh. It's a poor jack of all trades controller. I think the touchpad on the ps4 works for PC games now so that is a way better option.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I find the touchpad on the DS4 so fiddly and the cursor just jumps around all the time otherwise I'd feel the same (if it had buttons on the back too).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

oddium posted:

can you play as Stylish "The Midnight Thunderboy" Alastor

Yes but it's really not worth it, the game is doo doo.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Non-Prime Amazon shipping is all over the place, for a while it was amazing, then it turned to utter poo poo that couldn't even get a game to you the week it came out, then went back to okay last time I tried it but I've had Prime for like 8 months now so I guess it went back to poo poo again.

A few years ago before I had Prime I was pretty consistently getting games 2 or 3 days before they came out by pre-ordering and choosing first class delivery but yeah I guess it's not really the case anymore

I guess one more day on top of the 10 years we've been waiting for FFXV isn't going to kill me (maybe)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bad Seafood posted:

Picked up Odin Sphere Leifthrasir since it was on sale and wow, they really took out all the stops.

PC port when

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

A few years ago before I had Prime I was pretty consistently getting games 2 or 3 days before they came out by pre-ordering and choosing first class delivery but yeah I guess it's not really the case anymore

I guess one more day on top of the 10 years we've been waiting for FFXV isn't going to kill me (maybe)

If it's helps I got my copy today and now I'm staring at the title screen

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

it does not help at all but enjoy

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why does Tetsura Nomura get main screen billing?

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

Jay Rust posted:

I have a feeling it's because he did the main character design, but I'm not really sure where I'm getting that idea. It's mostly just a hunch, really.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I suppose that's the smuggest way to interpret the question, yes

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

I have a feeling it's because he did the main character design, but I'm not really sure where I'm getting that idea. It's mostly just a hunch, really.

I have never seen a character designer receive credit on the main menu screen. I don't think I've ever seen anyone receive credit there.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

tom clancy gets top billing on all the splinter cell games, and rainbow six

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

it's a legally required consumer warning

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

don't post a mean smash brothers announcer response thank you

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Nomura was directing the game until he got replaced by someone else in 2014, so perhaps SE gave him the title screen billing as character designer to make him feel better.

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light
It was just a joke man, chill.

Respecting your seniors is very important to the japanese and I'd assume pulling him from the game would be seen as disrespectful, even if it was justified. Putting him on the title screen is most likely an attempt to save face for both Square-Enix and Nomura.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

I have never seen a character designer receive credit on the main menu screen. I don't think I've ever seen anyone receive credit there.

A Hideo Kojima Game

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

codenameFANGIO posted:

He has the same credit for FF Type 0.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

And XIII. They must really love the guy

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Happy page 100 btw!

Collect your star:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

Nearly every Tales game does this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

oddium posted:

tom clancy gets top billing on all the splinter cell games, and rainbow six

Ghost Recon, and the Division as well. Dude had nothing to do with any of those games besides the very first Rainbow Six. Dude has been dead for awhile now and UBISoft still plans on dragging his name through the dirt with their games for the foreseeable future.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's going to be a real struggle not to buy FFXV until January, but there's really no reason for me to buy it now. I'm not likely to finish it in three weeks, given how much free time I have and other games I want to play, and after that I'll be traveling for two straight weeks for family visits and won't be bringing my PS4. So I'll either have to rush to finish the game in three weeks, or be annoyed that I'm going to have to leave it unfinished for two weeks.

Though if I'm honest I'll probably cave and buy it this weekend because I'm a sucker for all things Final Fantasy and FFXV legitimately looks really good.

In Training posted:

A Hideo Kojima Game

This is what I was going to say. Kojima's the only case I can think of where someone gets main title screen billing, though. Not, like, fake movie credits, but just the main menu.

It does sort of stick out that Nomura is credited on the title screen specifically as the main character designer, but I can think of a few reasons why. It might just be respect for him as the original game designer. It could also be because the game's marketing, at least before they had gameplay to show off, was real big on pushing the style of the main characters, so Nomura's designs are definitely important to the game's overall aesthetic and identity.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I guess I do not play a lot of jrpg's.

oddium posted:

don't post a mean smash brothers announcer response thank you

drat ...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Ghost Recon, and the Division as well. Dude had nothing to do with any of those games besides the very first Rainbow Six. Dude has been dead for awhile now and UBISoft still plans on dragging his name through the dirt with their games for the foreseeable future.

I wonder what it's like to die knowing that you will live on as a brand name on a neverending string of mediocre games. The Immortal Life of Tom Clancy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's probably just part of Nomura's contract. That kind of thing happens a lot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Y'know what's going to make me buy this game before I should? The music.

Listen, I'm as much of a Nobuo Uematsu fan as any long-time Final Fantasy player, but Yoko Shimomura's work here is so good.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Her work is always good, frankly.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the credit before every mgs5 mission :discourse:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Her work is always good, frankly.

It really is. She's one of my favorite game composers. Her music in the Mario and Luigi games surprises me every time. The final boss theme from Bowser's Inside Story is crazy good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6M2xt_Ks4Y

She also composed the soundtrack for Radiant Historia, right? Shimomura could work magic with that DS sound chip.

oddium posted:

the credit before every mgs5 mission :discourse:

:agreed: Was one of my favorite things about the game. It was so silly, but silly in just the right way.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm so glad you can make that the stage music in the Mario Galaxy Smash Bros stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Happy page 100 btw!

Collect your star:

100 pages should get you a 1up if you ask me

• Locked thread