Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

blugu64 posted:

moral to the story sounds like buses are unreliable and will never get you to places like interviews on time :shrug:

what will, cars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

mishaq posted:

no one lives in washington state or oregon but seattle and portland somehow manage to be less sprawled out shitholes that texas or lovely midwestern cities ???

seattle has a nice center but if you think it isn't surrounded by endless suburban sprawl that is only accessible by car then boy do i have a surprise for you

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

if you actually care about the interview, don't plan to get there only five minutes early :confused:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

rjmccall posted:

seattle has a nice center but if you think it isn't surrounded by endless suburban sprawl that is only accessible by car then boy do i have a surprise for you

all american cities are

but texas/kansas city etc are a different level of badness

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Bbbbut Kansas city has light rail* now!!

* Single 2 mile streetcar line, often stopped due to cars parked too close to track

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

hackbunny posted:

ybuspos

your city: bus is 20 minutes late, wait no 30, nbd such is life, I hope the bus doesn't literally rape me haha
my city: hyperventilating because display says 1 minute but I see the bus in the distance and it's more like 3

yeah this is the worst, london buses don't have rt traffic based timing :(((((

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
citymapper is pure ownage tho

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i used to live near this one bus route that was always like 4-8 minutes later than the schedule. i didn't take it very often though, so by the next time i took it i would forget about this, then at like 0:03 after it doesn't show up i would remember "oh right". not taking it often also meant i CBA to write an email to transit about it, so it's probably still busted like that

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

DFW was two pancakes that were plopped down too closely and welded together

this is a perfect analogy

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Progressive JPEG posted:

Highway lane miles per capita (miles per 1k people)

1. Kansas City - 1.262
2. St Louis - 1.070
3. Houston - .822
4. Cleveland - .816
5. Columbus - .779
6. San Antonio - .759
7. Jacksonville - .745
8. Providence - .742
9. Pittsburgh - .731
10. Baltimore - .724
11. DFW - .719

where is the source list for this i want to see where good cities rate

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bloody posted:

where is the source list for this i want to see where good cities rate

google is hard

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=198942

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

That forum is getting those lists from some defunct blog working with a US DOT highway data publication. The blog writer just took the spreadsheet column for "estimated freeway lane miles" and divided it by the "estimated population" column. I'm skeptical if the resulting figure really shows insight into much, because it doesn't take into account the percentage of total roadway miles that are freeways, population density, and the fact that lane-miles are only counted as an estimate and only for freeways (i.e. not for all road types).

Another thing I'm curious about is that that DOT report defines metros in terms of "federal-aid urbanized areas", which I'm not familiar with. I'm a bit dubious of this because when you look at the data table, it breaks down these areas based on which states have territory in that urban area, and the numbers look funny to me. For example, it shows the "New York-Newark" area as having territory in NY, NJ, and CT, and it lists the "total roadway miles" in the CT portion as 4. Yes, four whole miles. And this seems funny to me because the MSA and CSA areas for NYC don't line up with this at all, the smaller one (MSA) not having CT at all and instead including an entire county in PA.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FRA has posted draft rules to allow European regulation trains in the states, aka the thing that everyone has been begging for the last 30 years. would potentially shave millions off of rolling stock orders for commuter railways. ty obama!

http://usa.streetsblog.org/2016/11/30/federal-regulators-will-let-u-s-railroads-run-faster-more-efficient-trains/

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cygni posted:

FRA has posted draft rules to allow European regulation trains in the states, aka the thing that everyone has been begging for the last 30 years. would potentially shave millions off of rolling stock orders for commuter railways. ty obama!

http://usa.streetsblog.org/2016/11/30/federal-regulators-will-let-u-s-railroads-run-faster-more-efficient-trains/

in before shagger says this will cause more deaths

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

mishaq posted:

I'm 60/40 between that and something about people having to use them to die on them

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
fewer structural elements means that the bike cars will have greater capacity

it will be a natural next step to improve bicycle facilities in the vicinity of stations

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

mishaq posted:

There was a train crash in Britain in the 80's where an old train hit the buffers at about 10mph

2 people were killed and 542 injured

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

c-transit-s

1) took a ride on the train the other day. suddenly, the PA announcement of "no smoking allowed" began to play repeatedly. then i started to smell the weed smoke. after a bit, "the police are responding to an incident on this train". um ok, i didn't actually see the cops come in so it must have been quick. fun fact this was on the GREEN line lol
2) clearly intoxicated morons who tried to merge into my car despite not actually needing to merge. i lay on the horn and this is rewarded with them throwing out many flaming cigarettes, and one dude hanging his rear end out of the minivan passenger window so he can raise his middle finger real high toward me as they speed off going 20-30% over the limit
3) this morning on my commute home i pass custom plates of NODRUGS and RAWMILK

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

MikeCrotch posted:

There was a train crash in Britain in the 80's where an old train hit the buffers at about 10mph

2 people were killed and 542 injured

ah yes, the soft-brexit

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

fewer structural elements means that the bike cars will have greater capacity

it will be a natural next step to improve bicycle facilities in the vicinity of stations

next thing you know cyclists will be demanding to ride their bikes on the rails with the trains

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

LA becomes the third US metro after boston and chicago to order subway cars from chinese govt owned CRRC, mostly because they are so cheap. bodies will be built in Changchun, China, then shipped to Massachusetts for assembly. combining high quality chinese materials with american assembly quality, what could go wrong.

the first CRRC cars on US lines should show up in 2019 on boston's red line, followed by chicago and LA in 2020. hold on to ur butts.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cygni posted:

LA becomes the third US metro after boston and chicago to order subway cars from chinese govt owned CRRC, mostly because they are so cheap. bodies will be built in Changchun, China, then shipped to Massachusetts for assembly. combining high quality chinese materials with american assembly quality, what could go wrong.

the first CRRC cars on US lines should show up in 2019 on boston's red line, followed by chicago and LA in 2020. hold on to ur butts.

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

tmesis posted:

next thing you know cyclists will be demanding to ride their bikes on the rails with the trains

lol

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cygni posted:

I think you'll find that American trains are actually the safest in the world.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

There's some stat about more network rail workers in the UK dying driving between stations than on trains/tracks

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

pointsofdata posted:

I think you'll find that American trains are actually the safest in the world.

its hard to die on a train you cant ride because its out of service for maintenance, like those CRRCs probably will be !!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
that's fine though, since nobody rides the train it doesn't matter if they're in service or not

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i rode the light rail from seattle airport to downtown and it was cool and good and only cost $3

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaman Linavi posted:

i rode the light rail from seattle airport to downtown and it was cool and good and only cost $3

nice

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

its real slow tho

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Cygni posted:

lollll the red line and orange line here have been alternating catching on fire every week.

https://twitter.com/StuartLong81/status/791381865009668096?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

its v scary+sobering to know that the MBTA is the number TWO service in the country and this is the state of affairs

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

theyre just gettin yall prepared

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Munkeymon posted:

I'm 60/40 between that and something about people having to use them to die on them

blugu64 posted:

that's fine though, since nobody rides the train it doesn't matter if they're in service or not

low rent train shaggar but I'll take it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Casual Encountess posted:

lollll the red line and orange line here have been alternating catching on fire every week.

https://twitter.com/StuartLong81/status/791381865009668096?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

its v scary+sobering to know that the MBTA is the number TWO service in the country and this is the state of affairs

dc metro is just as bad

guess we can all just start biking

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i like to imagine that houston and san antonio, the #4 and #7 most populous cities in this great nation, grow like how pancake batter acts when you plop it onto a griddle

the center simply doesn't have the bearing capacity to support its own weight so it spreads out at a nearly uniform thickness in all directions

a much nicer analogy than, say, a malignant tumor

if you model LA population density as a 3d object it really does look like a pancake (with mountain ranges running through it but sure)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cygni posted:

could be worse: they could have hired bombardier

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

could be worse: they could have hired bombardier

guess who the CTA hired for their last round of trainsets before this CRRC set :unsmigghh:

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/passenger/rapid-transit/bombardier-resumes-cta-car-delivery.html?channel=

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-03-08/news/ct-met-cta-train-probe-20120308_1_cta-contract-cta-customers-cta-officials

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Welp between visiting Japan in 2008 and just returning from spending a week in Taipei I can't say I'm at all impressed with any American transit system

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

meatpotato posted:

Welp between visiting Japan in 2008 and just returning from spending a week in Taipei I can't say I'm at all impressed with any American transit system

eastern european major city buses are better than most american transit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
if you owned a car you'd probably think it's alright, because it's actually not too bad.

• Locked thread