Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

creatine posted:

I have another interview Tuesday for a research assistant position at a local hospital. It's marketed at bachelors entry level type people. The HR person said the attire is "business professional." Is this a full matching suit? I think it's weird for that dress for an entry level biology research assistant but I need to know so I can try to find a somewhat fitting suit in time.

Yes. Wear a matching suit unless you're good at fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

creatine posted:

I have another interview Tuesday for a research assistant position at a local hospital. It's marketed at bachelors entry level type people. The HR person said the attire is "business professional." Is this a full matching suit? I think it's weird for that dress for an entry level biology research assistant but I need to know so I can try to find a somewhat fitting suit in time.

Overdress for the job you want. I've never heard anyone say "I didn't hire that fucker because he wore a nice suit"

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Hmm ok. If I can't get one tailored in time what's the protocol for rescheduling the interview? Can I just call Friday and ask to push it back a week? The interview was set up yesterday and confirmed today.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Don't reschedule the interview because you don't have a perfectly tailored suit. On that note if you go to the tailor and explain that you need the suit tailored due to a job interview scheduled at short notice many tailors will rush it and waive the rush charge.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Problem! posted:

Don't reschedule the interview because you don't have a perfectly tailored suit. On that note if you go to the tailor and explain that you need the suit tailored due to a job interview scheduled at short notice many tailors will rush it and waive the rush charge.

Cool. I'm gonna go Friday to a couple places around town that friends recommend and see what I can do

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Who should I bug if it's taking longer to get back to me than I was told, my interviewer or my recruiter? I was told 3 weeks about 3 weeks ago and I'm getting antsy to hear back. :ohdear:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Philip Rivers posted:

Who should I bug if it's taking longer to get back to me than I was told, my interviewer or my recruiter? I was told 3 weeks about 3 weeks ago and I'm getting antsy to hear back. :ohdear:
Send a short (two lines max) e-mail to the recruiter. If you don't hear back in another week, send another e-mail (two lines max) and cc both on it. Keep in mind that we're into the holiday season now and a key person might be out of the office until the second week of January. Unless it's an industry that is slammed at the end of the year. Then they might be too busy to make hiring decisions until the second week of January.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
QQ about something in the OP:

Bisty Q. posted:

Tell me what I need to know about making a good resume!
  • Things that should never be on your resume, part 3: anything that could be used to discriminate illegally against you: photograph, birthdate, SSN (!!), marital status, number of children, sexual orientation, etc. -- even in the names of clubs or organizations, if you can avoid it. Putting this information on your resume shows a level of naivete about the process and also enables scummy organizations to discriminate against you when they shouldn't be able to!
Do we think this includes year of graduation from university? That gets you your age within a year or so 95% of the time.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
So I am elbow-deep in applying for jobs and wanted to get a quick review of my resume. I had one that I'd been using for years, but now that I am back in the wild of applying it came to me that my professional experience is (now) far more important than my education. Education has now been played down and professional experience is running the show.

If anyone is bored would they mind taking a peek at my resume? I used my format and shamelessly cannibalized another accountant that was in this thread concerning how they promote themselves on paper. I've had a few interviews and gotten great reactions/change in enthusiasm once I break out the laptop and show them some samples of my work from the past, too, which is nice.

Here we are:

I've already doxxed myself on this forum previously, so figure I may as well just post the dang thang (for the time being).

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 2, 2016

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Kilroy posted:

Do we think this includes year of graduation from university? That gets you your age within a year or so 95% of the time.

I don't think there's an issue removing it if you're older and you graduated a long time ago, but in most cases your job history can be used to infer your age. Just make sure that the formatting doesn't look weird because everything else will probably include a date range.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Kilroy posted:

Your job history will also give you an indication of how old you are-- no college degree means your job history probably starts when you're 16-18, college degree probably infers 22-24ish and they can do the math from there.

I would include the year you graduated if it fills an employment gap. Showing that you had lovely part time jobs for 4 years that overlap with the time you were in school is preferable to them inferring that you had lovely part time jobs for 4 years because nowhere else would hire you. If you've had relevant job history since then it doesn't really matter if you put your graduation date or not.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
That would indicate putting my full employment history on a one-page resume which I'm not going to do. Basically it's just contact details, employment history of the last seven or eight years (last three jobs, basically), and where I got my BSc.

I'll go ahead and put the year I guess. I'm not too concerned if they know how old I am - I was mostly curious. Thanks :)

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Maybe a dumb question about salary & salary negotiation, but the topic never really came up for me since all of my previous employers were take-it-or-leave-it: I'm applying for a job and on the application tool they want me to specify a salary.

From looking at Glassdoor + taking into account taxes and cost of life I have a fair idea of what to expect. Do I write what I actually expect to be paid, or write something higher with the expectation of negotiating it down?

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mango Polo posted:

Maybe a dumb question about salary & salary negotiation, but the topic never really came up for me since all of my previous employers were take-it-or-leave-it: I'm applying for a job and on the application tool they want me to specify a salary.

From looking at Glassdoor + taking into account taxes and cost of life I have a fair idea of what to expect. Do I write what I actually expect to be paid, or write something higher with the expectation of negotiating it down?

Every time this is mentioned in the thread (or the negotiating thread) people seem to say the following: leave it blank, or drop a 0 in the field if it's required.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

a fleshy snood posted:

Every time this is mentioned in the thread (or the negotiating thread) people seem to say the following: leave it blank, or drop a 0 in the field if it's required.

I went through the OP but didn't see anything about it, guess I should have searched the thread. Good to know; it's mandatory, so a 0 it will be. Thanks!

e. Found the negotiation thread, had no idea there was one. Awesome.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 1, 2016

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Is it ever acceptable to remove University/education info from a resume? I'm asking because I'm a media and marketing guy, but my Bachelor of Arts degree (lol) is in a totally unrelated field. I had a good GPA, but really... who cares? And the education section of my resume is taking up a lot of space that I feel could be better utilized for discussing my current projects.

I'll leave my degree in my LinkedIn profile, but I'm leaning towards axing it from my resume because it doesn't really add "strength" to my applications.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 5, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

melon cat posted:

Is it ever acceptable to remove University/education info from a resume? I'm asking because I'm a media and marketing guy, but my Bachelor of Arts degree (lol) is in a totally unrelated field. I had a good GPA, but really... who cares? And the education section of my resume is taking up a lot of space that I feel could be better utilized for discussing my current projects.

I'll leave my degree in my LinkedIn profile, but I'm leaning towards axing it from my resume because it doesn't really add "strength" to my applications.

I dont work in your industry or hire people but that seems like a huge red flag to me. I'd assume no degree on resume = no degree. You can reduce it to ~2 lines if need be but I wouldn't remove it as it';s certainly a relevant qualification. I don't put my GPA on though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Even if you majored in Philosophy or Physics or whatever it's still good to have it on your resume.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Yeah, I'm at a point now where my education is the least exciting part of my resume. I have it as two lines stating my degree, honors, and the second line reading university and date achieved.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Keep it on there just to show that you do in fact have a degree. Most places don't care what your degree is in as long as you have one and have the skills they're looking for. A lot of places like to see degrees just to prove that you can commit to a plan and achieve it.

My degree is just a one liner towards the bottom, it just says Degree Title, University Name, Honors, Year.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Alright, then. The degree stays, then. Thanks guys.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Question about formatting of the resume. I'm super traditional in terms of font choice (lol), I usually use Times New Roman, but my resume looks visually really bland. I know I don't want to use Jokerman or Curlz™ and that your resume shouldn't be gimmicky, but I guess I'm just nervous mine visually looks unappealing or stylish.

e:

Also in terms of cover letters should they be a page? I really like the conscience explanation of a cover letter in the OP but I didn't know if that is something I'm supposed to spread out to a page? Or just keep it short and sweet?

RebBrownies fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 7, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

RebBrownies posted:

Question about formatting of the resume. I'm super traditional in terms of font choice (lol), I usually use Times New Roman, but my resume looks visually really bland. I know I don't want to use Jokerman or Curlz™ and that your resume shouldn't be gimmicky, but I guess I'm just nervous mine visually looks unappealing or stylish.

e:

Also in terms of cover letters should they be a page? I really like the conscience explanation of a cover letter in the OP but I didn't know if that is something I'm supposed to spread out to a page? Or just keep it short and sweet?
Typography is just one aspect of the design. You can make a Times New Roman resume stand out, but it takes some creativity in the rest of your layout. Sometimes bland is good, though, depending on exactly what your field is. I've never heard of someone hiring an accountant or an auditor based on their creative resume design. And in some cases, like an academic CV, the whole required format is so crufty and inherently boring that trying to pretty it up just makes you look like a big old try-hard. If you have specific concerns, your best bet is just to post your resume here.

My cover letters are usually two to three paragraphs, maybe. No one's going to read a whole page of prose.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I prefer serif fonts personally. I use Cambria, but I also like Garamond, Calibri, and Constantia. Gill Sans and Lato are nice if you like sans serif.

Short/sweet is the way to go for cover letters. Try to make it so it can be read in just a minute-ish. Everyone wants a cover letter, but I've never run into any interviewer who has referenced anything I mentioned. Mine sounds almost personalized apart from changing the job title whenever I send it in.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If your work is going to involve a good amount of Microsoft Word, you should show in your resume that you pay attention to formatting, tables, alignment, font size, appropriate use of bold/italics/underline etc. How do you separate sections? Do you use bold and italics appropriately? Do you have a bunch of orphaned lines lying around?

Your reader may not recognize your effort but they'd likely notice the lack of it. Good typesetting is a useful skill to have and takes zero time to pick up, anyway.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Vegetable posted:

If your work is going to involve a good amount of Microsoft Word, you should show in your resume that you pay attention to formatting, tables, alignment, font size, appropriate use of bold/italics/underline etc. How do you separate sections? Do you use bold and italics appropriately? Do you have a bunch of orphaned lines lying around?

Your reader may not recognize your effort but they'd likely notice the lack of it. Good typesetting is a useful skill to have and takes zero time to pick up, anyway.
By the same logic, someone recommended earlier in the thread that if you're using LaTeX for your resume and applying to a job that will value LaTeX skills, leave it as Computer/Latin Modern.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

I know this might be kind of a rudimentary question but currently I'm working in the service industry and I'm trying to apply to jobs in Media/media production. I know I'll probably (most definitely) have to start at some sort of entry level position in a company, or maybe get some office work under my belt, but I'm having trouble twisting my work experience in the restaurant industry to be appealing to anyone outside of the restaurant industry. (Hospitality skillset: a poo poo ton of customer service, multi-tasking, working under stress). That was sort of what I came up with.

I have some skills editing my own reel as an actor but I would hardly describe myself as a master or super proficient, but I'm not unfamiliar. I have not been paid to do that, but would it be worthwhile to find a way to sneak it into my resume or should I save that for my cover letter.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I like the resume formatting at creddle.io, I replaced my garbage word resume with one of its templates and it looks a million times better.

My cover letters are mostly longer than I'd like (around a page) because I'm a try hard new grad with poo poo experience. The closer my experience is to the requirements the shorter my cover letter tends to be because I can hit the key points of why I'm good for the job way quicker. But the jobs where I can do that are kinda few and far between.

On the plus side I got two phone interviews for next week for cool positions so that breaks my current dry spell. Neither of them are in town though so if I make it further I'm gonna have to fly out. As much as I hope that they'd pay for me to come out, as an entry level new grad I'm not really expecting it.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 7, 2016

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

attackmole posted:

On the plus side I got two phone interviews for next week for cool positions so that breaks my current dry spell. Neither of them are in town though so if I make it further I'm gonna have to fly out. As much as I hope that they'd pay for me to come out, as an entry level new grad I'm not really expecting it.

I got a paid fly-out interview as a college senior for an entry level job. It does happen.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Problem! posted:

I got a paid fly-out interview as a college senior for an entry level job. It does happen.

Same. I would not pay to fly out for an interview, them paying for the cost of hiring people is the cost of doing business.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Problem! posted:

That's my experience, too. As far as I know, it is expected that the hiring company will pay your travel expenses for the interview if you are not in the area, fresh grad or not. It would be a minor pink flag if they wanted to keep to skype to avoid the expense (are they out of money or just frugal?) and a gigantic bleeding red flag if they tried to make me pay for travel.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Resume question time:

I've been working at the same place for a little over three years, but over the summer I switched to a different position with the same employer, and then back when summer was over (basically front desk to summer camp to front desk again). The summer experience is highly relevant to positions I'll be applying for soon. What's the best way to represent that on my resume? Should I make both jobs separate entries or what?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

RabbitMage posted:

Resume question time:

I've been working at the same place for a little over three years, but over the summer I switched to a different position with the same employer, and then back when summer was over (basically front desk to summer camp to front desk again). The summer experience is highly relevant to positions I'll be applying for soon. What's the best way to represent that on my resume? Should I make both jobs separate entries or what?

That's what I would do, yea.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

vyst posted:

Overdress for the job you want. I've never heard anyone say "I didn't hire that fucker because he wore a nice suit"

My rule of thumb is "dress one level above what you would dress like if you got the job." Although I've never heard anyone say the quote you have above, I think it is included in the post-interview chat as "that person seemed kind of weird." That is, way overdressing comes off as awkward.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The Sean posted:

My rule of thumb is "dress one level above what you would dress like if you got the job." Although I've never heard anyone say the quote you have above, I think it is included in the post-interview chat as "that person seemed kind of weird." That is, way overdressing comes off as awkward.

Overdressing comes off as awkward if your social skills suck rear end. You can just as easily say "Oh wow i didn't realize you all were pretty flexible with work attire, etc." if there's a substantial difference between what you're wearing and the work attire expectation.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I interviewed with a tech startup once where the lead engineer was legitimately flustered by the way I was dressed and kept trying to get me to take my jacket off

I didn't get that job but he reached out to me on LinkedIn about another position at a different company a couple of years later so who even knows if it hurt or left an impression

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

vyst posted:

Overdressing comes off as awkward if your social skills suck rear end. You can just as easily say "Oh wow i didn't realize you all were pretty flexible with work attire, etc." if there's a substantial difference between what you're wearing and the work attire expectation.

To both agree and disagree with you, great social skills / "being cool" can pretty much overcome anything.

Farside
Aug 11, 2002
I love my Commodore 64
I have had several people look at my resume and they said it looks good to them but they are not in my industry and could not give specific criticisms, only general ones. If anyone with a background in working/hiring for lab positions could help me out it would be great.

Also I listed myself as a lab tech. But looking at various job postings I've seen titles such as scientist, chemist etc including lab tech for similar things that I do. I don't want to misrepresent myself, but at the same time I want to make sure that I'm not passed over for jobs. Is lab tech a good all around title or should I be using a different one?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_q7tsrLNAKPR2Exb3lhakwwWlE

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
I've got an interview tomorrow, and the HR guy gave me the names of the people I'm interviewing with. Would it be wrong to ask specific questions of them about their history and why they're with the company (like one guy used to be with Huffington Post, and is now with a much smaller company, in a seemingly smaller role, so I'm curious as to why he left). I've got other questions as well, but that really stood out to me

I'm slightly nervous about this interview, as I feel that I'm qualified, but there's also a few things that I don't know about so I don't want to set off any red flags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

momtartin posted:

I've got an interview tomorrow, and the HR guy gave me the names of the people I'm interviewing with. Would it be wrong to ask specific questions of them about their history and why they're with the company (like one guy used to be with Huffington Post, and is now with a much smaller company, in a seemingly smaller role, so I'm curious as to why he left). I've got other questions as well, but that really stood out to me

I'm slightly nervous about this interview, as I feel that I'm qualified, but there's also a few things that I don't know about so I don't want to set off any red flags.

I'm always a little annoyed when my colleagues ask why I left [big name tech company] for [big name tech company]. I wouldn't risk it. Also did they specifically tell you that or did you bring it up through google? I've always found the etiquette of that is to use it to name drop areas of common interest like mentioning you went to the same school or working in that you loved your mustang (knowing that they have a mustang they love as well). I would not ask specific questions that made it clear you googled them unless it is clearly advantageous to do so.