Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Phi230 posted:

lol even the people around lucas though the prequels are bad yet here we are

Lucas: I want to make movies about how Darth Vader became evil
Lucasfilm people: Yeah, Vader running around doing stuff will sell a billion tickets
Lucas: No, no Vader, this is my story how he became Vader
Lucasfilm people: But... the fans want
Lucas: (bathing in money from Star Wars merchandise) This is MY movie, I don't care about Vader

- years later -

Fans: The prequels loving suck
Other fans: The changes to the originals suck
Red Letter Media: The prequels are abominations captured on film, here is 17 hours of YouTube commentary explaining why
Lucas: I give up, I don't understand why fans are so angry, these are my films - I'm selling everything to Disney
Disney: (dollar signs in eyes)
Lucas: Also here are my ideas for more films
Disney: No thanks
Lucasfilm people: (removing shackles) The sunlight hurts my eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBNc7Pz35OA

Best TV-spot so far.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fundamentally, the issue is that fans believe Star Wars movies should be made to please them to the greatest degree possible, and the filmmakers' wishes and vision are subordinate to that (the "movie studio" perspective, really), while George Lucas believed movies should be made according to the filmmaker's wishes and vision, and pleasing the fans is subordinate to that ("film school auteur" perspective). Since he was paying to make all the Star Wars films after the first, he got to decide.

To deviate from PG-13 adventure and space battles in any way is a betrayal of what true Star Wars fans thought the series was, and a betrayal of what it's probably going to be from this point forward. I get less excited about Rogue One the more I hear about it. We will be looking backward over Episodes I-VI cinematically for many years to come. :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The shot of the walker about to smoosh them running through the forest has increased by hype tenfold

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Surprised there are still some Friday night showings open! Was able to score 2 at the Warren Theater in Moore OK here. Balcony seats with food and liquor!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Got legit IMAX ticket for the only Thursday night showing. And now we play the waiting game....

Can't buy ticket for Drafthouse yet because the goddamn theater doesn't open until December 2nd.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
So this is basically my childhood in movie form? All of the Jedi Knight, X-wing, and TIE Fighter games/novels rolled up into a movie? Yeah, sign me up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PostNouveau posted:

I thought the Olive Garden unlimited pasta pass was the worst way to spend $100, but here we are.

Pasta Pass doesn't sound like an intuitively bad idea until you realize what a scam it is. This just sounds stupid up front.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Super Fan posted:

If you take the time and effort you can attach all sorts of thematic depth to virtually any movie. The Star Wars prequels are as deep and meangiful as you want them to be. They certainly don't warrant the amount of discussion they've garnered here.

And they've aged terribly.

Ok do it then.

Hat Thoughts posted:

by pointing those out you should be able to prove their interpretation wrong.

Super Fan posted:

Yeah, that's kind of what's happening in this thread. It's almost embarrassing to read.

Ok do it then.

Red posted:

Lucas: I want to make movies about how Darth Vader became evil
Lucasfilm people: Yeah, Vader running around doing stuff will sell a billion tickets
Lucas: No, no Vader, this is my story how he became Vader
Lucasfilm people: But... the fans want
Lucas: (bathing in money from Star Wars merchandise) This is MY movie, I don't care about Vader

- years later -

Fans: The prequels loving suck
Other fans: The changes to the originals suck
Red Letter Media: The prequels are abominations captured on film, here is 17 hours of YouTube commentary explaining why
Lucas: I give up, I don't understand why fans are so angry, these are my films - I'm selling everything to Disney
Disney: (dollar signs in eyes)
Lucas: Also here are my ideas for more films
Disney: No thanks
Lucasfilm people: (removing shackles) The sunlight hurts my eyes

Holy crap this is embarrassing to read.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Pasta Pass doesn't sound like an intuitively bad idea until you realize what a scam it is. This just sounds stupid up front.

Look I have unlimited access to lovely microwaved pasta in my own drat house, man.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wanting a movie to be something else makes you resent it, and resenting it makes you think it's bad, independently of whether it actually is.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

reagan posted:

So this is basically my childhood in movie form? All of the Jedi Knight, X-wing, and TIE Fighter games/novels rolled up into a movie? Yeah, sign me up.

More like Dark Forces than Jedi Knight, but otherwise yes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

reagan posted:

You know what happens to childhoods on movie sets.

Hollywood has a lot to answer for.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Super Fan posted:

If you take the time and effort you can attach all sorts of thematic depth to virtually any movie. The Star Wars prequels are as deep and meangiful as you want them to be. They certainly don't warrant the amount of discussion they've garnered here.

And they've aged terribly.

If this were true, it would be very easy for you to employ critical thinking and communication skills as a 'trick' to 'fool' everyone into sharing your thoughts and ideas.

The trouble is that you perceive critical thinking and communication skills as tools of deceit, and so ignorance and suspicion are your only source of 'honesty'. You don't trust others, and you don't trust yourself. It's easier to just give up.

Instead, maybe try """attaching depth""" to TFA, or the Marvel films, or whatever, and see how far you can get. Maybe you'll learn something. All it takes is a willingness to be truthful and accurate.

(Just don't go on about "Millenials". That didn't go so well for the last guy.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I thought you did that. Where did the thread title come from then?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

If this were true, it would be very easy for you to employ critical thinking and communication skills as a 'trick' to 'fool' everyone into sharing your thoughts and ideas.

The trouble is that you perceive critical thinking and communication skills as tools of deceit, and so ignorance and suspicion are your only source of 'honesty'. You don't trust others, and you don't trust yourself. It's easier to just give up.

Instead, maybe try """attaching depth""" to TFA, or the Marvel films, or whatever, and see how far you can get. Maybe you'll learn something. All it takes is a willingness to be truthful and accurate.

A lot of what you claim are large logic leaps based on very small amounts of evidence:

IE, Jar Jar being a master mechanic because he twiddles a screwdriver the same way Chewie does, once

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Phi230 posted:

A lot of what you claim are large logic leaps based on very small amounts of evidence:

IE, Jar Jar being a master mechanic because he twiddles a screwdriver the same way Chewie does, once

He is not a 'master mechanic', but he also doesn't just 'twiddle a screwdriver'. (Anakin is the supremely talented mechanic.)

Jar Jar is simply talented enough that Anakin accepts his assistance in fine-tuning the engine on his experimental antigravity death-race car.

This links Jar Jar both to Chewbacca (a clumsy but competent mechanic) and to Luke (who collects hovercar parts as a hobby, and 'twiddles a screwdriver' to fix R2). As has been repeatedly noted, Jar Jar is the Luke Skywalker equivalent character in Episode 1.

In any case, the fact that Jar Jar can help fine-tune an experimental jet engine is undeniable proof that Jar Jar can help fine-tune an experimental jet engine.

To conclude otherwise would involve ignoring textual evidence.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Jar Jar isn't just a buffoon who's there for comic relief(although he is that too), the movie goes out of its way to demonstrate again and again that he has more worth than the Jedi or even his own people recognize. The fact that he goes through a legitimate character arc is undeniable, its right there in the text of the films, no reading necessary.

To get bogged down in overly specific adjectives like whether or not he's a "master" mechanic is missing the point. Jar Jar is more capable than he appears, its proven multiple times throughout TPM and then a little bit in AotC.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

He is not a 'master mechanic', but he also doesn't just 'twiddle a screwdriver'. (Anakin is the supremely talented mechanic.)

Jar Jar is simply talented enough that Anakin accepts his assistance in fine-tuning the engine on his experimental antigravity death-race car.

This links Jar Jar both to Chewbacca (a clumsy but competent mechanic) and to Luke (who collects hovercar parts as a hobby, and 'twiddles a screwdriver' to fix R2). As has been repeatedly noted, Jar Jar is the Luke Skywalker equivalent character in Episode 1.

In any case, the fact that Jar Jar can help fine-tune an experimental jet engine is undeniable proof that Jar Jar can help fine-tune an experimental jet engine.

To conclude otherwise would involve ignoring textual evidence.

Except Pod-racers and 'hovercars' are extremely common in Star Wars. Just because its sci-fi doesn't mean that to Luke and Jar Jar its just like loving around with a normal car.

So luke collects car parts and can fix a household appliance, does that make him a genius?

Yes Anakin is a mechanical wiz but he's also a child and his decision to make Jar Jar the podracer crew chief isn't impressive because Anakin is still a 10 year old kid and Jar Jar was the only one willing to help.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Why would he need to be a genius?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Let's ask MacGuyver

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nobody here is saying that Jar Jar is some secret genius. He's simply more capable than the other characters are able to see right away because of his clumsiness and unusual speech.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

So luke collects car parts and can fix a household appliance, does that make him a genius?

Given how few people today can fix their own cars/household appliances, yes.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

Given how few people today can fix their own cars/household appliances, yes.

the toothless hillbilly at advanced auto parts can fix a car doesn't make them a genius just makes them good at either what they trained in or what they enjoy

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Nobody here is saying that Jar Jar is some secret genius. He's simply more capable than the other characters are able to see right away because of his clumsiness and unusual speech.

he literally almost kills himself half a dozen times in the movie thats beyond mere clumsiness

he sticks his hand into a jet engine

he sticks his tongue into arcing electricity

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Who claimed he was a genius? The assertion is he is competent and unrecognized as such. You are exhibiting poor reading comprehension skills.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Phi230 posted:

Except Pod-racers and 'hovercars' are extremely common in Star Wars. Just because its sci-fi doesn't mean that to Luke and Jar Jar its just like loving around with a normal car.

lmao cars in the real world are common as dirt and I still wouldn't trust 99℅ of the world population to touch mine under the hood, and my car isn't a custom rally racer or anything

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

the toothless hillbilly at advanced auto parts can fix a car doesn't make them a genius just makes them good at either what they trained in or what they enjoy

This post really got away from you, huh Tezzor?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'd like to add that even the toothless hillbilly strawman doesn't stick his hand into moving engines nor his face near electricity

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

I know right! That guy should have been more careful.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He is clumsy but capable. Other characters, and apparently also you, see only that he is clumsy, and use this as a reason to devalue him.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bongo Bill posted:

He is clumsy but capable. Other characters, and apparently also you, see only that he is clumsy, and use this as a reason to devalue him.

he is beyond clumsy

he almost kills himself many times throughout the film. That's not clumsy

Clumsy is han bumping his head while fixing the falcon

retarded is sticking your mouth near massive bolts of arcing electricity or sticking your loving hand into a jet engine

oh let me just put my hand in a plugged in, spinning blender. Don't worry I'm capable and competent though.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Maybe he's just a ditz and has a blonde reputation but is otherwise a member of the equivalent secret Sith Aryan master race

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

There's a little Jar Jar in all of us, peace.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
dont worry I'm a super competent electrician, I've only intentionally handled live, exposed electrical wire a few times

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Phi230 posted:

he is beyond clumsy

he almost kills himself many times throughout the film. That's not clumsy

Clumsy is han bumping his head while fixing the falcon

retarded is sticking your mouth near massive bolts of arcing electricity or sticking your loving hand into a jet engine

oh let me just put my hand in a plugged in, spinning blender. Don't worry I'm capable and competent though.

He was banished because he was clumsy. You don't need to convince me that he is clumsy enough to be banished for it; I was paying attention to the movie. He also helps tune up a rocket chariot, which proves that he has the ability to help tune up a rocket chariot.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Strap in folks, we're in for a really great Tezzor hissy fit

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bongo Bill posted:

He was banished because he was clumsy. You don't need to convince me that he is clumsy enough to be banished for it; I was paying attention to the movie. He also helps tune up a rocket chariot, which proves that he has the ability to help tune up a rocket chariot.

but what evidence do you have that he actually did literally anything to said rocket chariot

just because I tighten a bolt on an F1 car doesn't mean I have the ability to tune an F1 car.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

dont worry I'm a super competent electrician, I've only intentionally handled live, exposed electrical wire a few times

You seem really focused on the electrician/mechanic thing. Those scenes are goofy physical comedy, sure, but there's a cumulative effect of a bunch of different things that, by the end of the movie, create the impression that Jar Jar has more to offer.

Is he actually a capable mechanic? Probably not, by the available evidence. But its shown as the movie goes on that Jar Jar is capable of having good ideas, and he has positive qualities that go beyond just intelligence. He's loyal, much more courageous than he initially seems, and has knowledge that is very useful.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
What is this discussion about? Why this? Why not Rogue One? Can I discuss the giant fish that we saw in Phantom Menace and their tenuous connections to the Sith and Jedi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Gatts posted:

What is this discussion about? Why this? Why not Rogue One? Can I discuss the giant fish that we saw in Phantom Menace and their tenuous connections to the Sith and Jedi?

If you want to talk about Rogue One, there's nothing stopping you.

• Locked thread