Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Nonsense posted:

Thought his shirt said SexDrugs & Donald Trump

I would buy a shirt with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I really wish I'd thought of that.

gently caress, me too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

you have poo poo cookie views, but solid jokes. people are complex

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Nothing like chasing my favorite sandwich, the hotdog, with some lemon bar cookies.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

:toot:

ChickenOfTomorrow has issued a correction as of 22:16 on Jan 21, 2017

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
This issue is really separating the true liberals from the status quo centrists

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I'm writing my candidate statement for the California democratic party's assembly district delegate position election and I'm wondering if I should explicitly quote Marx or just paraphrase/imply

if anyone is willing to read my candidate statement and give feedback please PM me.

Paraphrase/imply, they are not ready for you to reveal your true power level

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Ace of Baes posted:

Nothing like chasing my favorite sandwich, the hotdog, with some lemon bar cookies.

:frogout:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

bump_fn posted:

heres a good article about how silicon valleys globalization and technology push is loving a lot of people

http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/silicon-valley-has-an-empathy-vacuum

Otto, a Bay Area startup that was recently acquired by Uber, wants to automate trucking—and recently wrapped up a hundred-and-twenty-mile driverless delivery of fifty thousand cans of beer between Fort Collins and Colorado Springs. From a technological standpoint it was a jaw-dropping achievement, accompanied by predictions of improved highway safety. From the point of view of a truck driver with a mortgage and a kid in college, it was a devastating “oh, poo poo” moment. That one technical breakthrough puts nearly two million long-haul trucking jobs at risk. Truck driving is one of the few decent-paying jobs that doesn’t require a college diploma. Eliminating the need for truck drivers doesn’t just affect those millions of drivers; it has a ripple effect on ancillary services like gas stations, motels, and retail outlets; an entire economic ecosystem could break down.

Whether self-driving cars and trucks, drones, privatization of civic services like transportation, or dynamic pricing, all these developments embrace automation and efficiency, and abhor friction and waste. As Erik Brynjolfsson, a professor at the M.I.T. Sloan School of Management told MIT Technology Review, “Productivity is at record levels, innovation has never been faster, and yet at the same time, we have a falling median income and we have fewer jobs. People are falling behind because technology is advancing so fast and our skills and organizations aren’t keeping up.” It is, he said, “the great paradox of our era.”
the world needs more people like this sweet autistic summer child :patriot:

http://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-universal-basic-income-2016-11

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

mugrim posted:

Yeah, driving in some capacity is literally the most common job in most states. It's not just the 2m long haul truckers, I remember seeing an estimate closer to 9m jobs lost for all professions where driving is over 80% of the workload.

Self-driving vehicles can be used to make those jobs fuckin' great, they drive when they want and oversee a computer when they don't feel like it. They can sleep on the job cause they're a manager of a computer. They can pull in to eat, take dessert to go, and eat that pie while reading a book in bed cause the computer is fuckin' driving.

Or they can wipe out massive amounts of jobs. We gotta steer this progress. Mandate that people are in those self-driving trucks so we get a utopia instead of a dystopia.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Grondoth posted:

Self-driving vehicles can be used to make those jobs fuckin' great, they drive when they want and oversee a computer when they don't feel like it. They can sleep on the job cause they're a manager of a computer. They can pull in to eat, take dessert to go, and eat that pie while reading a book in bed cause the computer is fuckin' driving.

Or they can wipe out massive amounts of jobs. We gotta steer this progress. Mandate that people are in those self-driving trucks so we get a utopia instead of a dystopia.

What you are describing is antithetical to capitalism.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Asked whether the national party has chipped in, [Louisiana Democratic Senate candidate] Campbell says, “Not really.”

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Joementum posted:

Asked whether the national party has chipped in, [Louisiana Democratic Senate candidate] Campbell says, “Not really.”

gee. i wonder where all that money went.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

well I'm sure Hillary gave the campaign plenty of cash before the election since she just loved those down ballot races that Bernie ignored

gonna lol so hard if our revolution dumps some money into this race

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The only way a society whose labor needs are met entirely by automation can continue to feed and clothe its citizens is in fact with a universal basic income. We're not at that phase yet, but it's in sight over the horizon.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Grondoth posted:

A minimum income would unironically be easier to get than a mandate to have people in those cars. This is a 'when' problem, not an 'if' problem. They'll probably have people in them for a very brief period of time if at all and then it'll be shut off full stop. They'll even argue it from an environmental standard that the extra weight of both a person as well as the safety devices required for having a person in the car will only reduce fuel economy and increase carbon emissions.

Serf
May 5, 2011

loquacius posted:

The only way a society whose labor needs are met entirely by automation can continue to feed and clothe its citizens is in fact with a universal basic income. We're not at that phase yet, but it's in sight over the horizon.

Alternatively: the global capitalist elite just dispenses with the rest of us.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

anime was right posted:

gee. i wonder where all that money went.

Listen, Lena Dunham needs her entourage to tour the nation as a surrogate and that poo poo ain't cheap. How else do you intend on HRC connecting to and reaching out to the midwest?!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

mugrim posted:

A minimum income would unironically be easier to get than a mandate to have people in those cars. This is a 'when' problem, not an 'if' problem. They'll probably have people in them for a very brief period of time if at all and then it'll be shut off full stop. They'll even argue it from an environmental standard that the extra weight of both a person as well as the safety devices required for having a person in the car will only reduce fuel economy and increase carbon emissions.

I totally agree that GMI is a much better goal, but I think a "people have to be in these trucks" is a good stop-gap that would be an easier sell.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Serf posted:

ah, the behavioral sink solution that immediately leads to extinction

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Grondoth posted:

I totally agree that GMI is a much better goal, but I think a "people have to be in these trucks" is a good stop-gap that would be an easier sell.

"But why should we have to pay them the same as we did union truckers previously? I mean it's not like they're actually driving or anything."

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Serf posted:

*Looks at disposition of US congress* This is definitely a body that can legislate greater than bare subsistence-level mincome. A future Judge Dredd-esque permanent underclass definitely isn't in the cards.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

wouldn't requiring drivers in self driving trucks defeat the purpose or is that the joke

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Grondoth posted:

There's literally just too much money in it to win. It's not a 'stop gap' because all it does for the companies is increase their costs above what they already are.

"People being in those trucks" is the expensive part. There's no mid ground there. That stop gap would not last long at all. We're talking about the ability to eliminate over half the costs while increasing the profit on one of the largest sectors in the world. It'll be a totally worthwhile investment to through tens of billions of dollars buying out air time, politicians, etc.

If anything, they'll try and outlaw it or add a person being there AFTER the fact as many jobless people get pissed off and start voting accordingly.

mugrim has issued a correction as of 19:46 on Nov 28, 2016

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

bump_fn posted:

heres a good article about how silicon valleys globalization and technology push is loving a lot of people

http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/silicon-valley-has-an-empathy-vacuum

Otto, a Bay Area startup that was recently acquired by Uber, wants to automate trucking—and recently wrapped up a hundred-and-twenty-mile driverless delivery of fifty thousand cans of beer between Fort Collins and Colorado Springs. From a technological standpoint it was a jaw-dropping achievement, accompanied by predictions of improved highway safety. From the point of view of a truck driver with a mortgage and a kid in college, it was a devastating “oh, poo poo” moment. That one technical breakthrough puts nearly two million long-haul trucking jobs at risk. Truck driving is one of the few decent-paying jobs that doesn’t require a college diploma. Eliminating the need for truck drivers doesn’t just affect those millions of drivers; it has a ripple effect on ancillary services like gas stations, motels, and retail outlets; an entire economic ecosystem could break down.

Whether self-driving cars and trucks, drones, privatization of civic services like transportation, or dynamic pricing, all these developments embrace automation and efficiency, and abhor friction and waste. As Erik Brynjolfsson, a professor at the M.I.T. Sloan School of Management told MIT Technology Review, “Productivity is at record levels, innovation has never been faster, and yet at the same time, we have a falling median income and we have fewer jobs. People are falling behind because technology is advancing so fast and our skills and organizations aren’t keeping up.” It is, he said, “the great paradox of our era.”

Automation is the rope capitalism will hang itself with.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Joementum posted:

But the victory fund allows so much money to be raised for downticket races!

Also I get being mad about Trump but people need to be more upset that the number of democratic governors and statehouses is steadily dwindling as well. This has huge day to day impacts in people's lives as they do poo poo like destroy public bargaining rights and decimate education.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

bernie beating trump to the punch with an interesting bill

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2016/11/27/bernie-sanders-entirely-ludicrous-outsourcing-prevention-act/#33a413df6dcc

quote:

The Outsourcing Prevention Act would “impose a tax on all companies that outsource jobs.” The proposed tax would be equal to “the amount of savings achieved by outsourcing jobs or 35 percent of its profits, whichever is higher.”

The proposed legislation would also penalize companies that outsource more than 50 jobs by barring them from receiving federal contracts, tax breaks, grants or loans. Companies that have already outsourced 50 jobs would face requirements to pay back federal tax breaks and loans, and receive tax penalties on stock options and bonuses.

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

OhFunny posted:

Automation is the rope capitalism will hang itself with.

You're assuming they don't hang the rest of us instead.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ted_Haggard posted:

You're assuming they don't hang the rest of us instead.

This is what will happen.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Thoguh posted:

But the victory fund allows so much money to be raised for downticket races!

Also I get being mad about Trump but people need to be more upset that the number of democratic governors and statehouses is steadily dwindling as well. This has huge day to day impacts in people's lives as they do poo poo like destroy public bargaining rights and decimate education.

yeah im mad about more left leaning people not voting for hillary while fully knowing the consequences of total republican control too but getting mad about how the election went isnt going to do poo poo at this point

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

poo poo like this is great because daring Trump to follow through on stuff is about a million times more likely to be effective than any other approach.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Joementum posted:

I thought we were against throwing money into unwinnable races in red states.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Grondoth posted:

Means testing is not great, so I still think BI will win out over GMI. But I honestly don't see how we don't do one of them eventually if things keep going the way they are...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

zegermans posted:

This thread has consistently been in favour of the democrats spending far more time and effort and money in red states, so I don't know where you got that idea.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Serf posted:

This end them though cause genetic diversity is now gone and population levels are low enough a recovery is close to impossible.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

This thread has consistently been in favour of the democrats spending far more time and effort and money in red states, so I don't know where you got that idea.

I'm pretty sure we spent like 10 pages mocking the lack of resources in WI and MI vs. AZ, GA, and TX.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Al! posted:

yeah im mad about more left leaning people not voting for hillary while fully knowing the consequences of total republican control too but getting mad about how the election went isnt going to do poo poo at this point

It will absolutely "Do poo poo".

If this election isn't hung around HRCs neck, then we'll risk her running again in 2020. If this sounds like a joke to you, understand the idea of her running in 2016 was considered a loving joke too (in 2008 "She lost to a black dude with a muslim name despite having more name recogntions, more money, and more institutional support, how the gently caress could she win a general"), and several higher ups in the DNC wanted her to run in 20 loving 12.

People need to be outraged and make her own the fact she's a lovely politician who doesn't know what she's doing, and she gave the keys to the kingdom to Donald Trump. It's hyper important to keep the blame on her.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

zegermans posted:

1.3 billion is frankly enough to toss some dough everywhere

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

A lot of red states are only red because the democrats don't do poo poo in them, either due to incompetence and/or lack of funding from the national level

Which causes them to get swept during the election.

Which causes people to write them off as red states, and then not put any effort or funds into state and local parties

Which causes them to get swept during the next election

and it goes on and on and on

Agean90 has issued a correction as of 20:04 on Nov 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

mugrim posted:

If this election isn't hung around HRCs neck, then we'll risk her running again in 2020. If this sounds like a joke to you, understand the idea of her running in 2016 was considered a loving joke too, and several higher ups in the DNC wanted her to run in 20 loving 12.

Man I don't know. I think she was super garbo as a candidate but I don't think they could possibly be stupid enough to support her in 2020 after this fiasco. Losing a primary is one thing. Losing an election to Donald loving Trump is another entirely.

• Locked thread