Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Vulpes posted:

Someone convince me that levelling and gearing Raid Han isn't a good idea. It just seems like he would do so well against Wiggs teams, droid teams, basically anyone who doesn't have Shore or Baze (which on my soft shard is pretty much everyone). He's a rebel as well so it seems like he'd be a natural fit for a Wiggs/Lando team. Only thing stopping me is that I don't see anyone else using him, ever, so I feel like I'm missing something.

He's very good against Wiggs comps. He's also pretty bad on defense. He keeps being high on my gear list, but just below the current target (TFP), and then they release someone like Boba, who will (I think) will also laugh at Wiggs squads.

P.S. Just fought Maul (L) Sun Fac, EP, RG, STH, and it was brutal. Full party Daze with debuffs destroyed me. They only had SF left standing at the end of the battle, but SF is pretty brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Is there any use to rerolling your starting hero pulls when first starting this?

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
For rounding out a Republic fleet, what are people's thoughts on Fives vs Rex? My Plo and Ahsoka were already heavily invested in from being in my main team for other stuff, my Consular was good-ish (six stars to run Yoda), the nameless clone guy's ship seems nice, and then...I dunno. I had Fives almost unlocked from slowly plinking away at him early on before I got distracted with needing scoundrels as a side project, and his ship looks pretty fun, but otherwise I don't have a strong opinion.

Or should I ignore the nameless clone and invest in both the named dudes?

Asking strictly in terms of ships mode for now, my actual characters (besides Plo) aren't really at the point yet where I can take advantage of Jedi-clone synergies elsewhere. Though my account is pretty Jedi heavy as I work towards max level so it's bound to happen eventually.

EDIT: I mean I guess I'll probably have to get all of 'em eventually because of the reinforcements mechanic, but I can only do so much at once.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 27, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Def use Mace Windu if you're gonna plan on being so Republic heavy.

LIKE TEN DICKS
Feb 25, 2009
any guilds open?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Orgophlax posted:

Is there any use to rerolling your starting hero pulls when first starting this?

I think it's set not random. Either way it doesn't matter you're gonna ditch the starters pretty quick and you'll be unlocking tons of dudes in no time.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Orgophlax posted:

You always get Chewie, Clone Sergeant, JC, and Talia. You either get Luke or Jawa, and long term Jawa is a little better, but meh. You do get one chromium pull for 300? crystals that is guaranteed to be a farmable, light side character, and if you get a 1 or 2 * from this, it's worth considering.

The bigger question is where you started on your arena scoreboard. If it's worse than 10k, I'd reroll and level to 8 until you land on a new shard...seems like they make a new shard about every other day, but I never did figure out exactly how this works. Basically though, if you're below 10k, everyone has at least a full day's head start, and you will always be trying to catch up. If you start in top 1k, you can climb to top 100 really quick and get a lot of rewards without spending any money. This will make a bigger difference in the game than anything you can do (other than spend $2000...which would be dumb).

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

mushroom_spore posted:

For rounding out a Republic fleet, what are people's thoughts on Fives vs Rex? My Plo and Ahsoka were already heavily invested in from being in my main team for other stuff, my Consular was good-ish (six stars to run Yoda), the nameless clone guy's ship seems nice, and then...I dunno. I had Fives almost unlocked from slowly plinking away at him early on before I got distracted with needing scoundrels as a side project, and his ship looks pretty fun, but otherwise I don't have a strong opinion.

Or should I ignore the nameless clone and invest in both the named dudes?

Asking strictly in terms of ships mode for now, my actual characters (besides Plo) aren't really at the point yet where I can take advantage of Jedi-clone synergies elsewhere. Though my account is pretty Jedi heavy as I work towards max level so it's bound to happen eventually.

EDIT: I mean I guess I'll probably have to get all of 'em eventually because of the reinforcements mechanic, but I can only do so much at once.

I'm guessing you don't have Rex? Fives you can farm using shipments in Cantina (and he has two hard nodes), while Rex you can only farm from Fleet shipments, which is also where you have to farm his ship. As much as I'd love to focus on a few heroes (SF, Rex, Darth Maul) from fleet shipments, I think those are best spent on ships for now.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Malgrin posted:

I'm guessing you don't have Rex? Fives you can farm using shipments in Cantina (and he has two hard nodes), while Rex you can only farm from Fleet shipments, which is also where you have to farm his ship. As much as I'd love to focus on a few heroes (SF, Rex, Darth Maul) from fleet shipments, I think those are best spent on ships for now.

Nope on me having Rex. So that's a good point, Fives/Umbaran next and Rex last it is. I wasn't positive Rex was shipments-only, it seems kinda wonky who shows up where, and you can't check under "find" unless they happen to be stocked in a given shop at that exact moment. (ex: I randomly found Plo's ship in GW tonight and I'd never seen it in there once, didn't think it could show up. Nice surprise though.)

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Does the clone sergeant guy count as Republic? It doesn't say Republic in his stats, just Clone Trooper. I'm thinking he might be a good Republic tank. Wedge is decent but he doesn't get the same kind of bonuses from Mace and other Jedi.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

LIKE TEN DICKS posted:

any guilds open?

What's your code? I'll invite you to QGJ.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
OK, was able to try the top level ship ability challenge today, not able to beat it yet though. You need to have the Executrix at 5* (which was actually pretty easy to beat, but needed 500K ship money to upgrade, plus you need to have 5 4* dark side ships to do it). You need 8 5* ships of any kind to try the ability challenge. I actually think I came close to beating it, so I will probably keep trying to beat it today.

Other useful ship stuff: One of the swgoh.gg devs posted a very useful post about what stuff counts for crew power on reddit here https://xl.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/5f433c/explanation_of_how_ship_stats_work_and_data_tables/

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

MichiganCubbie posted:

What's your code? I'll invite you to QGJ.
Can I get an invite too?

3Ko9qRP9QB-m0AQLFtunlQ

That 0 might be a capital O and that lowercase l might be uppercase I. Who knows?! (Why is there no way to copy that?)

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011

Orgophlax posted:

Can I get an invite too?

3Ko9qRP9QB-m0AQLFtunlQ

That 0 might be a capital O and that lowercase l might be uppercase I. Who knows?! (Why is there no way to copy that?)

Wrong one. Click "Allies" and it'll be the 9 numbers at the top.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Dr. Venture posted:

Wrong one. Click "Allies" and it'll be the 9 numbers at the top.

Oh I guess I'm not high enough level yet. I'll repost when I get there.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
Managed to just barely clear the top ship abilities challenge, the rewards:

Was a pretty close thing, going to be a while before I can 3* it

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Do we know if there are plans for a separatists fleet commander?

Nute gunray would be awesome.

UmOk fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 27, 2016

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

When you advance a star level, does that reset the character level to 1? Would it be more prudent to farm shards and upgrade star levels as to not waste training droids?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Orgophlax posted:

When you advance a star level, does that reset the character level to 1? Would it be more prudent to farm shards and upgrade star levels as to not waste training droids?

Nope. Characters keep their current level.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

UmOk posted:

Do we know if there are plans for a separatists fleet commander?

Nute gunray would be awesome.

Im thinking they will add a separatist commander and 1 more of each faction in the future.

Separatists: Nute, Dooku
Rebels: Akbar, Mon Mothma (from rogue one)
Empire: Tarkin, Palpatine
Republic: Mace Windu, Yoda

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Disco De Soto posted:

Does the clone sergeant guy count as Republic? It doesn't say Republic in his stats, just Clone Trooper.

You're looking in the wrong place; "Republic" as a tag is only applied to ships, not characters. :) So his ship, which needs him, is Republic, but the actual clone trooper character in your character inventory has his own set of tags for character battles.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 28, 2016

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011
Shoretrooper arena update: I've run 3 versions of my team so far. Wiggs/Lando/JKA/Shore was the first iteration. I then replaced JKA with Palp, and then finally replaced Palp with STHan. I find the double tank combo much more reliable. I have Shoretrooper maxed (minus new gear) and he just melts way too drat fast. The poor little guy barely gets a chance to buff the team, so perhaps I need to put more speed mods on him? I'm not sure, but you definitely don't want him going too fast. I was worried I'd find myself too susceptible to Sun Fac, but I just do too much damage for it to matter. B2 is another concern, especially if my team is on defense, but it still seems worth it. The double tank keeps my Wiggs/Lando safe for much longer and that's all I need to win. With the JKA and Palp versions I found fighting to #1 a bit of a struggle, but I felt very confident with the double tank setup. I breezed my way there today.

trapt
Sep 21, 2010
Well, the app crashes about 9/10 times I try a ship battle. It used to happen about 1/20 in raids but ship battles are just impossible for me. At least I seem to be ahead enough in farming that I don't lose ranks...

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
How much notice was the last palpatine event / how much should i expect?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Boozie posted:

How much notice was the last palpatine event / how much should i expect?

they said it was very rare but I'd hope that it would show up in Dec at some point. You'll probably get about 5 days notice which is what they seem to be giving for the tournaments.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Alright, just hit 18, and here's my Ally code:
735-976-731

Can I be invited to a guild now, or do I have to unlock that too?

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Dr. Venture posted:

Shoretrooper arena update: I've run 3 versions of my team so far. Wiggs/Lando/JKA/Shore was the first iteration. I then replaced JKA with Palp, and then finally replaced Palp with STHan. I find the double tank combo much more reliable. I have Shoretrooper maxed (minus new gear) and he just melts way too drat fast. The poor little guy barely gets a chance to buff the team, so perhaps I need to put more speed mods on him? I'm not sure, but you definitely don't want him going too fast. I was worried I'd find myself too susceptible to Sun Fac, but I just do too much damage for it to matter. B2 is another concern, especially if my team is on defense, but it still seems worth it. The double tank keeps my Wiggs/Lando safe for much longer and that's all I need to win. With the JKA and Palp versions I found fighting to #1 a bit of a struggle, but I felt very confident with the double tank setup. I breezed my way there today.

You want all the +protection you can get for shoretrooper, nothing else matters much other than maybe tenacity. At gear level 10 you should have around 48-50k protection.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Orgophlax posted:

Alright, just hit 18, and here's my Ally code:
735-976-731

Can I be invited to a guild now, or do I have to unlock that too?

Quoting myself as I just hit 22, so guilds are open now. Would like an invite please.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

mushroom_spore posted:

You're looking in the wrong place; "Republic" as a tag is only applied to ships, not characters. :) So his ship, which needs him, is Republic, but the actual clone trooper character in your character inventory has his own set of tags for character battles.

Ah of course, thanks for the tip!

The fleet arena is great fun - reminds me of the original arena on my shard before gear and mods screwed it up.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Yeah so only top 25 get Vader's TIE, gently caress this poo poo.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Neutron posted:

Yeah so only top 25 get Vader's TIE, gently caress this poo poo.

How the gently caress is it that they've decided to make this poo poo MORE exclusive?

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
Okay so I’m looking for an update to my Arena comp strategy. I’d love immediate and long term goals. Here’s my roster:

Lando – 7 star
STH – 7 star
QGJ – 7 star
Biggs – 7 star
Lumi – 7 star
AA – 5 star – building with Arena
Rey – 5 star – building with Guild Store
Shoretrooper – 4 star
Wedge – 4 star – building with Cantina
RG – 4 star – only building with LS/DS
Boba – 4 star – only building with cantina credits
JKA – 4 star – only building with LS/DS (will do Cantina after Wedge)

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Boozie posted:

Okay so I’m looking for an update to my Arena comp strategy. I’d love immediate and long term goals. Here’s my roster:

Lando – 7 star
STH – 7 star
QGJ – 7 star
Biggs – 7 star
Lumi – 7 star
AA – 5 star – building with Arena
Rey – 5 star – building with Guild Store
Shoretrooper – 4 star
Wedge – 4 star – building with Cantina
RG – 4 star – only building with LS/DS
Boba – 4 star – only building with cantina credits
JKA – 4 star – only building with LS/DS (will do Cantina after Wedge)

Your immediate target should be to get Wedge and AA to 7* and right there you've got a good rebel squad with Wedge, STH, Lando, Biggs, AA. That's a strong team that can get you Emporer Palpatine shards whenever his event returns.

Speed mod Biggs, and make sure whatever you do that AA is just barely faster than Lando, so that your Lando can do 2 AOE's in a row to finish off whatever Biggs blows the poo poo out of.

After that, I'd say RG is pretty crucial for arena outside of WIGGS, and with TIE Fighter Pilot on the rise along with your Shoretrooper and potential future Emporer... you could make a very mean Empire meta squad. (Empire meta is likely the next FOTM, so planning long-term for this is good, especially since you have a Shore)

Rey is a great vanilla damage dealer and you should definitely keep staring her up.

Long-term, you need to build a roster of strong raid squads. Key toons to target

for Rancor:
Fives, Teebo, Chewie(not essential), (and you've got STH/QGJ) to round out the turn-meter gently caress squad. This'll get you big points in P1, and even respectable damage in P2/3/4.

for Tank:
***Tank is hosed up, and requires you to have basically 5 fully fleshed out squads. Some key toons though***
Chief Chirpa
JKA
Nebit, Jawa Engineer + Droids

Really man, just start acquiring and leveling everything you can. Almost every toon has a use at this point in the game. Even if it's just to be a 6* that lets you unlock a mod challenge.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 28, 2016

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

for Rancor:
Fives, Teebo, QGJ, (and you've got STH/QGJ) to round out the turn-meter gently caress squad. This'll get you big points in P1, and even respectable damage in P2/3/4.

TM squad will get the big damage in P1, but it takes a while, like 20-30 minutes in my case. I was going with Teebo, QGJ, Phasma, EE, and usually Ewok Scout.

I got impatient the past few raids, used my rebel squad (Wiggs, but not max geared), and was doing at least 50% damage in a few minutes. Just 7*'d Han Solo, so I'm now in zero damage squad.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Who should I work on collecting in the arena shipments? I pulled Windu on the guaranteed character w/ first chromium pack, so I plan on getting his shards, but who else should I shoot for?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Orgophlax posted:

Who should I work on collecting in the arena shipments? I pulled Windu on the guaranteed character w/ first chromium pack, so I plan on getting his shards, but who else should I shoot for?

STH is the best hero in there. After that, 88, AA, and HK-47 are really good. Windu is good cause he's a commander, but he's not actually that good at the rest of the game.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Chilichimp posted:

(Empire meta is likely the next FOTM, so planning long-term for this is good, especially since you have a Shore)

Sadly, it is not. It's a fun, viable team but you have no chance if your TIE fails to block/buff immune their SThan. Given the SThan speeds on my shard, you are looking at 250+ speed at least. And even then you can stil lose if they have B2 or fast Emp.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Neutron posted:

Sadly, it is not. It's a fun, viable team but you have no chance if your TIE fails to block/buff immune their SThan. Given the SThan speeds on my shard, you are looking at 250+ speed at least. And even then you can stil lose if they have B2 or fast Emp.

Guess I should be starring Wedge and not TFP, then :(

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Orgophlax posted:

Malgrin posted:

STH is the best hero in there. After that, 88, AA, and HK-47 are really good. Windu is good cause he's a commander, but he's not actually that good at the rest of the game.

This. Probably Leia too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
I feel like I'm misunderstanding something about the way tournament brackets get put together. I started the tournament at about five minutes past the hour, and started out placed about 800th, suggesting there were 800 players when I joined. But the top 25 were already all over 3,000 points, making it pointless for me to even try to participate.

Am I missing something here or should I just give up on these stupid tournaments and save myself the stress?